Most overrated games over gaming history?

[quote name='Vtdgnca']My list

Halo[/quote]

what are you smoking?!!? I'm not a fan boy by any means, but that game is the 2nd coming of goldeneye, which means it provides hours of countless entertainment, but to each their own.

my vote goes for enter the matrix, well that was more hype then really being overrated but still. Also Virtua fighter 4 and soul calibur .

[quote name='billyknoxville'][quote name='Vtdgnca']My list

Halo[/quote]

what are you smoking?!!? I'm not a fan boy by any means, but that game is the 2nd coming of goldeneye, which means it provides hours of countless entertainment, but to each their own.

my vote goes for enter the matrix, well that was more hype then really being overrated but still. Also Virtua fighter 4 and soul calibur .[/quote]

VF 4? That's the deepest 3D fighter ever out there, also the most balanced, you probably didn't sit down to play it long did you?

The entire FF series
Any Soul Caliber/Blade game
Any Tekken
Any Virtua Fighter

(I dislike all 3D fighting engines, 1 button tapped rapidly does a huge chain-link-combo? yeah right.)

Halo
GTA III
GTA Vice City
Final Fantasy (all of them)
Splinter Cell
Gran Turismo
Playstation 2 (it's not a game but is very overrated)
Quake
Half-Life

[quote name='Vtdgnca']My list

Halo
Super Smash Bros
Morrowind
Pikimin
FF7[/quote]

That seems to be overly skewed toward more recent console generations.

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='Vtdgnca']My list

Halo
Super Smash Bros
Morrowind
Pikimin
FF7[/quote]

That seems to be overly skewed toward more recent console generations.[/quote]

Yeah he should have included Pong.

[quote name='MasterLin1']The entire FF series
Any Soul Caliber/Blade game
Any Tekken
Any Virtua Fighter

(I dislike all 3D fighting engines, 1 button tapped rapidly does a huge chain-link-combo? yeah right.)[/quote]

I challenge you to hit one button rapidly and do massive combos with VF 4. I can think of one character that has anything remotely like that and it takes like 15 seconds to figure out how to block that.

Toe Jam & Earl, for Genesis. I didn't like that game but everyone else did. So it is my vote for most overrated game ever!

Well, when FF7 was first coming out, sure you had EVERY magazine devoting like 20-25 pages on it, claiming it the second coming of Jesus Christ... FF8 got maybe the same but not as much... FF9 got maybe a blurb and was quickly forgotten (which is pretty much how long I played it too)...

all the madden games...they get good ratings, sell in the millions...but they are all just the same game rehashed over and over again

Add a vote for the movie....I mean game FF7, which turned RPG's into CGI movies.

Also all Tomb Raider games with their clunky akward controls.

[quote name='msdmoney']Add a vote for the movie....I mean game FF7, which turned RPG's into CGI movies.

Also all Tomb Raider games with their clunky akward controls.[/quote]

FF movie? What FF movie? Oh, wait... not THAT thing... the wrinkles... it BURNS!!!

LOL@some of the games mentioned.

How about a TRUE overrated series in Sonic the Hedgehog. Remember when people thought Sonic was a legit competitor to the Mario Series? The speed gimmick just doesn't work anymore and Mario is still going strong.

[quote name='blackjaw']all the madden games...they get good ratings, sell in the millions...but they are all just the same game rehashed over and over again[/quote]

Fifteen years of top ratings and sales makes them overrated? LOL!

ESPN is rehashed over and over to. There are only so many ways to present football on a TV screen.

Final Fantasy VII gets my vote. Grand Theft Auto 3 is a close second.

Keep in mind that I'm voting these as overrated like the topic suggests. I'm not saying these are bad games, but the hype is too much.

All the people said Halo and Viruta Fighter, I really would hate the game syou like then cause yall seem to hate the ones I think are great. Calling Halo overratedis like calling any system selling game overrated. How DOA, Tekken, and Wind Waker didn't get posted is beyond me cuase those game are way overrated and were over hyped too.

I really enjoyed Morrowind. Perhaps over-hyped, but definitely enjoyable for me at least.

My contribution would be Unreal Championship for Xbox. I got this (stupidly) with the assumption that it would be as good as the PC version that I previously owned - Unreal Tournament. I was sadly, sadly mistaken. Plus no split screen....weak. Perhaps not overrated/overhyped, but definitely disappointing

[quote name='WarrenGekko']How about Fable?
That got hyped big time and the ratings I'm seeing have it just above average but not Great.

The most hyped game ever still has to be Pac-Man. There was a song made for that.
[/quote]

[quote name='WarrenGekko'][quote name='WarrenGekko']How about Fable?
That got hyped big time and the ratings I'm seeing have it just above average but not Great.

The most hyped game ever still has to be Pac-Man. There was a song made for that.
[/quote][/quote]

Not to mention a Saturday morning cartoon show.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='guessed']Pong. Man, that game got old fast.[/quote]

:rofl:[/quote]

:rofl:

I wonder if Wierd Al will parody Sisqo and make...

"The Pong Song!"

Halo is definitely king of overrated games. It may have been the second coming of GoldenEye but anybody who spends a decent amount of time playing FPS on the pc knows there are much better shooters out there. In my book Serious Sam is light years more fun than Halo.

Second place would have to go to GTA 3 and VC. I enjoyed the 2d versions much more. Once the wonder wears off GTA 3 got boring, fast.

My contribution would be Unreal Championship for Xbox. I got this (stupidly) with the assumption that it would be as good as the PC version that I previously owned - Unreal Tournament. I was sadly, sadly mistaken. Plus no split screen....weak. Perhaps not overrated/overhyped, but definitely disappointing

Unreal championship has 4 player split screen play.

Anyway, the GTA series is definitely overrated along with Fable, Resident Evil, Pikmin, and the star wars rogue squadron/leader games

Edit: How could I forget the Resident Evil games, although RE4 seems to be looking good.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']LOL@some of the games mentioned.

How about a TRUE overrated series in Sonic the Hedgehog. Remember when people thought Sonic was a legit competitor to the Mario Series? The speed gimmick just doesn't work anymore and Mario is still going strong.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head, man. Especially now that everyone is claiming that Sonic CD was so great. Anyone who truely owns that game can testify that it's just the same boring shit that Sonic always does. I remember liking the series in my early teen years, but that was because I didn't get an SNES till a few years after launch when I got my first job. It's so apparent, even more so in the 3D titles, that Sonic is tier 2 at best.

As for my other picks, i'd say Parasite Eve and BG&E are pretty overrated. I also would say FF8, but I think there has been a general concensus over the last few years that it missed the mark.

[quote name='Parathod'][quote name='GuilewasNK']LOL@some of the games mentioned.

How about a TRUE overrated series in Sonic the Hedgehog. Remember when people thought Sonic was a legit competitor to the Mario Series? The speed gimmick just doesn't work anymore and Mario is still going strong.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head, man. Especially now that everyone is claiming that Sonic CD was so great. Anyone who truely owns that game can testify that it's just the same boring shit that Sonic always does. I remember liking the series in my early teen years, but that was because I didn't get an SNES till a few years after launch when I got my first job. It's so apparent, even more so in the 3D titles, that Sonic is tier 2 at best.

As for my other picks, i'd say Parasite Eve and BG&E are pretty overrated. I also would say FF8, but I think there has been a general concensus over the last few years that it missed the mark.[/quote]

I thought Parsite Eve 1 was pretty good compared to 2 just sucked seemed more like of an action game compared to more turn based battles in the first.

I appreciated that the game was short and stuck to the point, but the gameplay actually diminished the value of the game for me. The idea was fine, but the execution was horrible. You can tell that they decreased the difficulty of the game to compensate for the times you'd encounter some kind of control issue. I never tried PE2, I didn't see a point in playing a sequel to a game I didn't enjoy..

[quote name='dcfox']Halo is definitely king of overrated games. It may have been the second coming of GoldenEye but anybody who spends a decent amount of time playing FPS on the pc knows there are much better shooters out there. [/quote]

I agree that many PC FPS are better than Halo. But in regards to CONSOLE FPS (which is where most of the Halo hype comes in), there are few better than Halo.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='dcfox']Halo is definitely king of overrated games. It may have been the second coming of GoldenEye but anybody who spends a decent amount of time playing FPS on the pc knows there are much better shooters out there. [/quote]

I agree that many PC FPS are better than Halo. But in regards to CONSOLE FPS (which is where most of the Halo hype comes in), there are few better than Halo.[/quote]

Just because it's one of the greatest console FPSs, doesn't make it any better than it really is. :wink:

All of the Gran Turismo games. But to be fair i only really like racing games where you do large power slides like Mario Kart and Rallisport 2.

[quote name='dcfox']Halo is definitely king of overrated games. It may have been the second coming of GoldenEye but anybody who spends a decent amount of time playing FPS on the pc knows there are much better shooters out there. [/quote]

Yeah, that became painfully obvious when Halo was released for the PC. Compared to Unreal Tournament, it's downright slow and boring. However, there aren't any console FPS games that are any better, as someone else stated. I know that it shouldn't matter whether it's console or PC, but it kinda does, only due to the lack of controller precision for consoles.

bread's done
Back