Mother 3 Handbook reprint

dejeckt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
This isn't really a deal, but I'm going to go ahead add a thread cause it deserves one.

Mother 3 Handbook has been reprinted ^^ Ready for preorder, and it seems that it will be shipped out sometime early-mid December.

http://fangamer.net/products/m3-handbook

Softcover - $20
Hardcover - $29
PDF - +$5 ($6 by itself)
Courage Badge - +$7 ($10 by itself)

Additional Info on Changes/Updates (all credit goes to Vinny for catching this)
The Handbook is back! Here's what's new in Version 2:

Hardback option
Synthetic cloth case-binding
Debossed and printed with silver foil
Black satin bookmark w/ matching headbands
28-page Enemy Guide
Front and (all-new) back illustrations
Levels, stats, drops, & special info
Easy-reference weakness chart
Dozens of new clay figurine illustrations
Updated Poster Jacket design
Dozens of small design/content tweaks
Our first book (well, second if you count the Anthology), this Handbook is easily the most labor-intensive project we’ve ever tackled: a 272-page English language player’s guide to the world of MOTHER 3.

Three delivery options:
New synthetic cloth-bound hardback
Perfect-bound paperback
High-resolution digital PDF
270 glossy, full-color pages
Thousands of maps, diagrams, and illustrations
32-page reference filled with enemy, item, PSI, food, and strategy information
Dust jacket which doubles as a tall poster
Absolutely packed with Jon Kay’s incredible design/layout talent, each of the book’s 8 chapters is designed in a unique style, accented with boss/MC clay models sculpted by Camille Young (Meeellla), NPC and enemy illustrations by Emilio Orsi (emilio) and Marty Elmer (Omnitarian), and item illustrations by Sebastian Hardy (Sebastian).

On top of all that is a team of writers and editors who scoured every corner of the game and converted their knowledge into a helpful, thorough, and enjoyable handbook which will guide you through the world of MOTHER 3 instead of simply spitting out to-do lists.

More information and a free online version at http://handbook.fangamer.com!

Free shipping on orders over $65
15% off orders over $100 with the coupon HAPPYBOX

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='outunderstars']I've never played any of this series. Is it available on the Wii store?[/QUOTE]

Everyone gather around so you can point and laugh in unison!

mother3_town.png

[quote name='cRodz']Everyone gather around so you can point and laugh in unison!

mother3_town.png
[/QUOTE]

I thought that was a troll post... and I was going to fall for it. :cool:

[quote name='xycury']I thought that was a troll post... and I was going to fall for it. :cool:[/QUOTE]

The ultimate chimera shall protect this thread...
but dont let it see you =/

2598418454_0f66465a41.jpg

[quote name='shadylane']Ok, so I bought the hardcover guide and all but where do I play the game?[/QUOTE]

To play the English version you have to apply the patch here to the ROM that you find on your own and play it on a GBA emulator.

I picked one of these up on the first run. They are quality, through and through, with a lot of heart. Highly recommend to any MOTHER/Earthbound fans out there.

Anyone know if people have patched a physical import copy and sold em? I know I've seen translated copies of Terranigma on Ebay. I know I could get a ROM and play but I rather play on an actual game boy advance.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']To be fair, that's a terrible analogy. How often do GOTY editions come with things that you can only get with the GOTY? Typically, they just pack in the DLC. This is more like MvC3 and Ultimate MvC3 where the only way to get the new content is to rebuy the game.

That said, I don't find this to be that big of a deal. The original print of the book was like 2 and a half years ago, wasn't it? And their store wasn't that big at the time, that I remember. So maybe it was just a matter of being unable to afford to offer hardbinding then. Plus it's a fan made thing, so obviously once it's out, they'll think of things they had wished they added.[/QUOTE]

That's why I wrote "GOTY with extras" I was implying things only found in the GOTY edition of the game, which does happen more than you think. I never said it was the same exact thing, there's really not a direct comparison for this, but I still wouldn't call it shady if a game company released a GOTY or some other re-release a year or two later with some sort of exclusive perk (not necessarily DLC, even something like a Steelbook, cloth map, etc that you couldn't really buy separately in between the two releases). I do agree with you about this book and the possible reasoning for the added content :D

[quote name='remag']Anyone know if people have patched a physical import copy and sold em? I know I've seen translated copies of Terranigma on Ebay. I know I could get a ROM and play but I rather play on an actual game boy advance.[/QUOTE]

I've not seen one but if it shows up, it will do so here.

Any repros you have seen on eBay come from this site.

[quote name='remag']Anyone know if people have patched a physical import copy and sold em? I know I've seen translated copies of Terranigma on Ebay. I know I could get a ROM and play but I rather play on an actual game boy advance.[/QUOTE]

get a gba flash cart and play it on your system

[quote name='62t']They alway have a link on their page to notify people of a reprint. This should not be a surprise.[/QUOTE]

It was never indicated the reprint would have additional content in it.

In all honesty couldn't people just stop bickering and enjoy what this is.

- For all those people who missed out on the original run, here is a chance to purchase the guide at reasonable, non-ebay price.

- For all those people who supported fangamer and purchased the original please be happy that the guide can be shared to other enthusiast who missed out the chance to experience the glory of Mother 3 handbook. It's unfortunate that your original copy lacked the extras, but please try to be supportive to the dedicated few who are willing to work, fulfill a void in the gaming community. Also, on slim hope, this might rekindle some top execs to produce another Mother (doesn't sound right).

- To fangamer (or whatever the name go by) please try to institute a discount to those who originally purchased the first print. It is not due to lack of satisfaction, but instead to show good will towards those who supported you on the get go.

A personal request, please fangamer could you acquire the proper license or any hoops to jump through for the possibility of Chrono Trigger Handboook?

i know this is a weird one but with the black friday sale if you purchase 100$ or more it gives free priority shipping and 15% off. i paid 24.65 for 4 hardcover books. i already own two of the original releases. one is sealed new with the original lightning courage badge not the redone ones they are putting out but the original thick copper nice ones. i figured for that price i could easily use them as trade bait down road.

The paperback was great, I would love to get the HC version too but that's just hoarding.

edit: pre ordered. I suppose the paperback will be for reading "in the bathroom" from now on.

[quote name='dejeckt']

A personal request, please fangamer could you acquire the proper license or any hoops to jump through for the possibility of Chrono Trigger Handboook?[/QUOTE]

I don't think they have any licenses for this stuff... I mean, it seems odd for a large company like Nintendo or SE to licenses their IPs to such a small place, even if those IPs aren't major. And there's no copyright/TM logos on anything.

I'd love for a CT handbook though.:D

[quote name='gauu']i know this is a weird one but with the black friday sale if you purchase 100$ or more it gives free priority shipping and 15% off. i paid 24.65 for 4 hardcover books.[/QUOTE]

How does 15% off $100 = $24.65?

[quote name='remag']Probably meant 24.65 per book[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not a bad idea though.

I ordered one with a badge for a cost of $42.xx

If you wanted two you'd be at the price of four anyways.

Besides, looks like you'd have no problem selling these.

Don't know why anyone would bother buying through eBay IF you're providing a link to the website to purchase the newer version for cheaper than your auction...

[quote name='xycury']I bet those people buying those Britannica Encyclopedia's every year because they updated the
definition of Stupid, are pretty peeved too.[/QUOTE]
Despite the name of the site we're on, ironically everyone else in this thread is loose with their wallets. Hopefully the stupid one(s) you're talking about isn't me, nice try though attempting a joke at someone else's expense.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Despite the name of the site we're on, ironically everyone else in this thread is loose with their wallets. Hopefully the stupid one(s) you're talking about isn't me, nice try though attempting a joke at someone else's expense.[/QUOTE]

I bet you're one of those people that look in Grocery stores and find items that you've previously purchased that now state, "NEW and Improved Formula/Taste", and you go apeshit and write a very stern letter to the company.

Why don't you do something constructive and sell your guide on ebay for profit and buy the new guide.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Despite the name of the site we're on, ironically everyone else in this thread is loose with their wallets. Hopefully the stupid one(s) you're talking about isn't me, nice try though attempting a joke at someone else's expense.[/QUOTE]
Being upset over $20-30 after 2 years is far beyond cheap.

[quote name='remag']Is that courage badge just a keychain?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[quote name='xycury']Why don't you do something constructive and sell your guide on ebay for profit and buy the new guide.[/QUOTE]

This.

This book is a near-miraculous fan work of love for a small, rabid audience. Nobodys going to buy a Lamborghini from an improved 2nd printing's profits. I don't know how they sold the original so cheap as the printing was very high quality.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Being upset over $20-30 after 2 years is far beyond cheap.[/QUOTE]

I think he was referring to the "Ass" in the site's name.

[quote name='remag']Is that courage badge just a keychain?[/QUOTE]

Yup, like somewhere between a quarter and a silver dollar. It reminds me more of Captain Planet then Mother 3 imo.

[quote name='ssjmichael']This.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'd get much of anything for the original now, everyone that wanted it is probably aware of the improved reprint now. There's only one copy of the original I saw selling on eBay, and as far as I can tell every single bid placed on it was done so before the reprint was put up for sale.

I don't think people who bought the original should regret it. I remember pre-ordering my copy when it was touted to have all the bells and whistles then. For me, I've handled my copy very carefully, and it's still far from being bathroom-reading fodder.

I'll probably wait to decide whether I can justify buying the revised edition.

Mother fans FTW.

[quote name='xycury']I bet you're one of those people that look in Grocery stores and find items that you've previously purchased that now state, "NEW and Improved Formula/Taste", and you go apeshit and write a very stern letter to the company.

Why don't you do something constructive and sell your guide on ebay for profit and buy the new guide.[/QUOTE]
Poor analogy there buddy, for one it doesn't really matter what the bar of deordorant or shampoo says as long as it keeps me smelling good. Then again anything with a "new/improved formula" barely ever changed to begin with.

Haha oh wow, you honestly anyone would buy these guides now let alone get a profit off of them now? I swear, the people in this thread...

[quote name='Muthafodder']I've not seen one but if it shows up, it will do so here.

Any repros you have seen on eBay come from this site.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I've got all of those games in ROM form but some of those are mighty tempting just to be able to play them on my SNES (especially the Dragon Quest ones)

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Poor analogy there buddy, for one it doesn't really matter what the bar of deordorant or shampoo says as long as it keeps me smelling good. Then again anything with a "new/improved formula" barely ever changed to begin with.

[/QUOTE]
In the same vein, it shouldn't matter how a game guide is bound if it still gives you correct information about what's going on in the game. The old guide is still just as good as it always was. If you want to bitch, go find a thread about the Dark Souls guide which is now full of wrong information thanks to patches.

Anyone know if there's something different with the keychain? I wanna get a hardcover copy (already own the own from 2 years ago). If there's nothing different with the keychain I'll just get the book itself.

The keychain is very similar to the last batch, but this latest run is made by a different manufacturer who managed to make the lines and edges a bit cleaner.

We'll be updating http://handbook.fangamer.com with the new version of the book sometime early next year, but with the exception of the new enemy guide (which is essentially a thorough re-designing of this data: http://walkthrough.starmen.net/mother3/enemylist_full.php), the content of this reprinted Handbook is nearly identical to the original. The old guides are neither outdated nor incorrect, barring a handful of minor errors (mostly grammatical) which made it into the first run.

As someone mentioned earlier, Fangamer is a very small operation, so it's been tough gathering the time/money necessary for a reprint. Thanks to everyone who offered up kind words in this topic, we really appreciate your support!

I pre-ordered the original in Jan 2009 and I just pre-ordered a hardcover.

This handbook is win. Definitely worth owning just to look at how pretty it is and how much effort went into making it happen.

For those of you who own the original, how much of the book is strategy guide material vs game artwork/information?

[quote name='Vinny']For those of you who own the original, how much of the book is strategy guide material vs game artwork/information?[/QUOTE]

The book is pretty much strategy guide with little gags interspersed. The guide is arranged by in-game chapter, and it has area maps, shop lists, enemy info. All that good stuff.

I have not, but my understanding is that it will ship mid December. If thats the case I see no concern getting it by Christmas, but yeah I'm in the same boat as this is a gift for a buddy of mine.

Kinda at the mid December, anyone got some type of notification?
*edit* Speak of the devil, just checked email and got my shipping notice ^^ Now figuring out how to best play Mother 3 (should hunt down the Earthbound for snes before playing Mother 3...isn't it ridiculously expensive?)

[quote name='dejeckt']Kinda at the mid December, anyone got some type of notification?[/QUOTE]

Mine shipped a couple of days ago. Still not here yet, though.

EDIT: Yeah, Earthbound is super expensive. Still feel lucky to have found my copy at Goodwill for $2.25.

Is it wrong to want this guide, even though I know I am 99% certain to never play or even see the actual game?

Also, where are all the complainers saying it's MSRP and not a deal? :)

[quote name='ozzymandd']Mine shipped a couple of days ago. Still not here yet, though.

EDIT: Yeah, Earthbound is super expensive. Still feel lucky to have found my copy at Goodwill for $2.25.[/QUOTE]
I've been searching my local Goodwills and pawns for the last 3 years or so for it... so far, I have only seen it at a local game shop for $85 for the cart.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Is it wrong to want this guide, even though I know I am 99% certain to never play or even see the actual game?

Also, where are all the complainers saying it's MSRP and not a deal? :)[/QUOTE]

I just bought it and I don't know if I'll ever play it. ;P

[quote name='Optical']I've been searching my local Goodwills and pawns for the last 3 years or so for it... so far, I have only seen it at a local game shop for $85 for the cart.

I just bought it and I don't know if I'll ever play it. ;P[/QUOTE]

I guess jsut to clarify but Mother 2 = Earthbound. Isn't this guide for the sequel to Earthbound?

yes this is MOTHER 3!!! =P. this is the one that is centered around lucas NOT NESS!! ask away im an earthbound fanatic. one of my all time favorite rpgs. i have owned 7 copies in total. although 1 is mint complete boxed one is guide and cart and the rest i sold when the spike hit the market.

[quote name='jedimario']I guess jsut to clarify but Mother 2 = Earthbound. Isn't this guide for the sequel to Earthbound?[/QUOTE]

Yep - this is for the sequel to Earthbound.

Never released in the USA, but if you look you can find a ROM, plus a sweet patch that will translate everything into English for you. You'll need an emulator, but it is worth it.

To be fair, try and buy a copy of the Japanese GBA game so you aren't stealing by having the ROM!

Received both my copies yesterday, one for me and one for the gf as a X-mas present. They look amazing and came with a paper-craft of Mr. Saturn and some stickers.

This is really tempting. The book looks awesome. Pricey, but awesome. I completed the game a while back so it's not like I need a guide, but this would be fun to look through. Hmm.

bread's done
Back