Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kevzik']Wait...so now some next gen games are extremely cheap?? Bah...I was just there!

Trip #3 tomorrow.[/quote]

trip #4 for me :whistle2:D

[quote name='JJSP']No update on using GC credit at HWV? I've got a pair of games meant for BB but if I can match them at GC and get the big drops at HWV, I'd be stoked.[/QUOTE]

Wait - I confirmed this yesterday. Yes, you can use Gamecrazy gift cards at Hollywood - it's all I've been using for the $3.99 games ;).

[quote name='elmyra']I just got Metroid Prime 3, Call of Duty 4 (360) and Civilization Revolution (360) at the new prices - all complete including original cases and artwork. I'm sad that I already have Assassin's Creed, GTA4 and SCIV. Oh well, I'm going back to loot the place tomorrow after I check GS trade-in values on the 360 games. :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gamewizardx']Hey, IO. Did your Hollywood Video store have Game Zone in it? A tiny little gamestore with a glass case full of new games? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.
Can anyone who got the cheap games verify there was NOT a Gamezone store built in, with a glass case?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GuardianE']The place where I got the ridiculous drops had a Gamezone but no Gamecrazy.[/QUOTE]

Wow... Let's see - I checked at 3 different Hollywood Videos and each had a Gamezone (and not Gamecrazy) and at each one the games were full price VIA SCAN (e.g., Civ Rev = $44.99) and they thought I was nuts for asking if they were any less than that. I think you guys are all just pulling some hoax on me ;).

[quote name='animemaniac14']trip #4 for me :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

Prepare to be disappointed...

--------------------

Also, I hit up 2 new Hollywood Videos tonight. So at one I manage to convince the clerk to look up the $3.99 promo which she insisted was only for movies (and only $12.99 and under). Fortunately she found the promo and said she would try any games I brought up to see if they would work - and of course they did. Still, besides a fairly mint God of War II I didn't find much there.

Then, on to the next store. I check Civ Rev there first ($44.99). OK, no big deal, so I move on to the $3.99 promo. There are no signs up but he says yes they are doing it. I get 8 games and he scans them all and tells me $130-something. WTF? I ask what about the promo. He can't find it and since there are no signs up he says there is nothing he can do about it. He tried calling several people but no one answered. He set the stack aside and said someone will call me tomorrow. I am not hopeful though. The other clerk said they were not participating in the $3.99 movie deal (according to her only 2 stores in the entire area were doing it which I know is BS, but anyway...). So chances are the manager here just decided not to do it. The real heartbreaker in all this - one of the 8 games was a Marvel vs Capcom 2 for PS2 :bomb:. It is $29.99 normally which is sort of iffy considering it is disc-only and not in great shape. They were gonna give me the advertized 3 for $30 deal on them which, in retrospect, I should have taken - but I'm going for broke ;).

So, just like Gamecrazy, it seems deals at Hollywood are subject to a hodgepodge wildly different employee and manager interpretations. At Gamecrazy I cannot get any two stores to treat the used game trade-in price guarantee and advertized sale price match guarantee the same way. It seems that lack of organization extends to Hollywood as well - no surprise there I suppose.

[quote name='cheapskate01']Well i raided one HWV store tonight and cleaned house of the next gen games, all the last gen was gone. I picked up

Super smash brawl for 15.75 *4
Super Mario Galaxy 10.69 *4
Grand Theft Auto IV 7.88
Soul Caliber IV 13.50

Now to trade into GS im calculating an est of 237.3 credit with the 40% promo (or 20 each for buying a new game). After i spent 127.14 thats w/o tax.. At a ratio of 1.8 the trip wasn't worth it and im gonna be doing alot of returns. If someone wants any of those let me know.[/QUOTE]

Was GTA IV and SoulCaliburVI for PS3?

Io, you are my hero. Looks like I've got $60 in Gamecrazy credit to spend. This could very well result in a really, really cheap PS3.

At both stores I went to today, the games I wanted rang up full price, even though they had banners advertising it. Then, again at both stores, they remembered the special bar coupon and rang it up right after ringing up the original game -- SAME PRICE!!! What's the point of the sale, even when they have the banner up AND they scanned the coupon?

Does this just mean the computers in my area haven't got the deal up and running yet? Even though they have banners for it up?

[quote name='Plastics']At BOTH stores I went to today, they took the games I wanted -- rang up full price. Then, at both stores, they remembered the special bar coupon and rang it up right after ringing up the original game -- SAME PRICE!!! What's the point of the sale, even when they have the banner up AND they scanned the coupon? [/QUOTE]

They didn't do it right or scanned the wrong bar code. If they did the actual $3.99 GAME one then it would make them $3.99 regardless of original price. The problem is they might have tried to scan the $3.99 DVD bar code since that is the "big promo" in most stores right now and some clerks are, frankly, clueless. Or they might have tried the "3 for $30" one - I've had a few do that to me before I asked to make sure it was the $3.99 game code. Still, like I said before, at other stores they insisted I had to rent and wouldn't even ring me up until I did, so I passed on the stuff I had (nothing great or I would have just rented anyway).

If I go back to the HV I went to tonight, can I show the manager anything that would change her stubborn mine? Like is there fine print I can tell her to bring up and read? Or is it just a crapshot if you get a jerk manager who INSISTS they're right about the deal and you're wrong. Because I feel if I went back tomorrow they'd just say the same stuff, even if I was like "well, online everyone is saying..." I'd like to have a hard copy of something I could bring in to show her so I don't leave empty handed again.

[quote name='Plastics']If I go back to the HV I went to tonight, can I show the manager anything that would change her stubborn mine? Like is there fine print I can tell her to bring up and read? [highlight]Or is it just a crapshot if you get a jerk manager who INSISTS they're right about the deal and you're wrong.[/highlight] Because I feel if I went back tomorrow they'd just say the same stuff, even if I was like "well, online everyone is saying..." I'd like to have a hard copy of something I could bring in to show her so I don't leave empty handed again.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this, I hate to say.

Though I found out from another CAG that a store that fed me that line last night changed their policy today and let him buy everything :bomb:. So it may be worth checking back.

Interesting, so me and GamewizardX checked out three stores. No dice on the new price. I am going to go pick up a few 3.99 titles, so I'm checking early tomorrow. These stores had EVERYTHING. I'd love to get Civ Rev and MGS4.

Here's a somewhat hidden gem. Always, in these types of deals, look for those fairly new release PS2 games that might otherwise be off the typical CAG's rader:

:ps2: Hot Wheels: Beat That - $9 base at GS ($12.60 after all bonuses)

Much to my surprise it ended up being better than Mario Party 4 ($6.50 base) and LSW II for the GC ($6.75 base - it used to get a lot but is now significantly less than the PS2 version).

This caught my eye because of the superior flip Power Rangers Super Legends used to be (from Blockbuster -> Gamestop). That one, by the way, is still OK for this deal too but I think it is down to $6.xx base whereas it used to be $9 as well. It's easy to forget that the PS2 still has a fairly steady stream of new releases of Sports games, kids games, and RPGs - when these get cleared out quickly (or via this catch-all deal) they are often good, and otherwise overlooked, trade-in fodder.

[quote name='io']

So, just like Gamecrazy, it seems deals at Hollywood are subject to a hodgepodge wildly different employee and manager interpretations. At Gamecrazy I cannot get any two stores to treat the used game trade-in price guarantee and advertized sale price match guarantee the same way. It seems that lack of organization extends to Hollywood as well - no surprise there I suppose.[/quote]
Is it any wonder this company has had financial problems? A real chain would have the codes sent directly to the register and people wouldn't have to worry if the manager is an idiot or if the clerk couldn't find the right barcode. I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. I wonder how bad this company is behind the scenes with things customers can't see?

[quote name='io']Here's a somewhat hidden gem. Always, in these types of deals, look for those fairly new release PS2 games that might otherwise be off the typical CAG's rader:

:ps2: Hot Wheels: Beat That - $9 base at GS ($12.60 after all bonuses)

Much to my surprise it ended up being better than Mario Party 4 ($6.50 base) and LSW II for the GC ($6.75 base - it used to get a lot but is now significantly less than the PS2 version).

This caught my eye because of the superior flip Power Rangers Super Legends used to be (from Blockbuster -> Gamestop). That one, by the way, is still OK for this deal too but I think it is down to $6.xx base whereas it used to be $9 as well. It's easy to forget that the PS2 still has a fairly steady stream of new releases of Sports games, kids games, and RPGs - when these get cleared out quickly (or via this catch-all deal) they are often good, and otherwise overlooked, trade-in fodder.[/quote]

Another gem is God of War 2. I've seen a copy in each Hollywood Video I've been in, and it's not at all difficult to find.

Based GS TIV- $9. Very very odd considering that they sell the game for $18. 50% of full used price trade in value? Gamestop, what're you thinking? ;)

I'm guessing their new system is based entirely on whether or not the item can sell at the given Used price, as opposed to just how much the current Used price is.

Is the deal still going on? On their website it saying deal is good only on games $12.99 or less. I thought yesterday people were getting the $34.99 games for $3.99. Something change? Is that a new deal?

There's a Movie Gallery near my office and a Hollywood Video near my house. I'll have to check them both

[quote name='king007']Is the deal still going on? On their website it saying deal is good only on games $12.99 or less. I thought yesterday people were getting the $34.99 games for $3.99. Something change? Is that a new deal?[/quote]

The deal is not listed on their website. The deal that you're talking about above is for DVDs, not games.

The new deal is $3.99 on ALL PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games and there's no rental restriction. And there's no price limit. The clerk may try to tell you otherwise and may not. YMMV. Argue and tell them the deal is running and have them check their promotions. At worst, get a manager involved.

I rolled into the Southfield and Royal Oak stores in Mich last night expecting them to be pretty bare. The Southfield store didn't know about it, but after a call to the "game guy" she found the code in her coupon binder and I went to town. I bought around 15 PS2 and GC games that looked like good flips. There are still a ton of last gen games there, but most seemed like average flips. The Royal Oak store definitely looked like it was picked over more, but I found a couple awesome deals (SW: Rouge Squadron II and Zelda:TLP for GC). Also at the Royal Oak store, they actually had a big sign and section for all of the $3.99 games, so it made it that much easier. GameStop here I come today! Thanks OP for the heads up on this.

[quote name='GuardianE']The new deal is $3.99 on ALL PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games and there's no rental restriction.[/quote]
Does that mean I can grab any of the rental games they have to buy as well with this deal? If that's the case, I saw a ton of games for rental that I wanted to buy.

[quote name='GuardianE']The new deal is $3.99 on ALL PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games and there's no rental restriction.[/quote]

[quote name='steebo777']Does that mean I can grab any of the rental games they have to buy as well with this deal? If that's the case, I saw a ton of games for rental that I wanted to buy.[/quote]

It absolutely does not mean that. It means that you are not required to rent anything in order to get the discount.

[quote name='steebo777']Does that mean I can grab any of the rental games they have to buy as well with this deal? If that's the case, I saw a ton of games for rental that I wanted to buy.[/quote]

Nope. I asked at several locations. I should've clarified.

If you have a stupid employee, the 360/ps3/wii games also work with the coupon. They're not supposed to, but I asked and the employee said "if it works, it works I guess". I picked up 100 bucks worth of stuff and ended up making around 700-720 in credit. Just a heads up.

[quote name='tiredfornow']If you have a stupid employee, the 360/ps3/wii games also work with the coupon. They're not supposed to, but I asked and the employee said "if it works, it works I guess". I picked up 100 bucks worth of stuff and ended up making around 700-720 in credit. Just a heads up.[/quote]

Wow. Your cashier was retarded. But awesome for you.

I recognized something like this was possible, but didn't think it would actually happen. The coupon codes simply override any apply discounts... they don't check to see what kind of item it is.

When I first tried the deal, the girl accidentally scanned the 25% off coupon for a Gamecube game and it took off 25%. The same holds true for the other side.

Just a heads up.

I went to two HWV today and struck out at both. The first location refused to give me the additional 25% off the reduced price because "The reduced price is 25% off." - Obviously the employees do not have to pass a math test to be employed.

I then proceeded to the next closest store 5 miles away only to have the cashier there tell me as i entered the door "Were you at another Hollywood Video today? because they just called and I am not going to sell you any games."

In disbelief I asked why and got the best answer ever: "because you are up to something, you are running some kind of scam."

[quote name='hitmandls2']Just a heads up.

I went to two HWV today and struck out at both. The first location refused to give me the additional 25% off the reduced price because "The reduced price is 25% off." - Obviously the employees do not have to pass a math test to be employed.

I then proceeded to the next closest store 5 miles away only to have the cashier there tell me as i entered the door "Were you at another Hollywood Video today? because they just called and I am not going to sell you any games."

In disbelief I asked why and got the best answer ever: "because you are up to something, you are running some kind of scam."[/quote]

which location was this if i may ask?

in fact..everyone should start puttin the locations they hit so other CAGs can save their gas and time

Well I have in interesting note to point out...

This is borderline but here it goes...

I had a friendly manager last night mention that they are still giving the most credit on trade ins even at your local HWV... He said the downside is they then turn around and sell the game for the $3.99... his answer was that at least at his store they are not doing many trade ins, so he has avoided the issue for the most part...

You could walk in with some games and trade them in, and later in the day or next morning grab them back up (with the new credit) for $3.99 each..

Now the question is does Hollywood video have the same TIV as Gamecrazy, and their best trade in guarantee?

[quote name='hitmandls2']Just a heads up.

In disbelief I asked why and got the best answer ever: "because you are up to something, you are running some kind of scam."[/quote]

I would have asked for the District Manager's number right there and then. I would not have taken no for an answer. That accusatory tone is unacceptable. You did absolutely nothing wrong, from what you wrote, and there's no indication that you were doing anything more than wanting a good deal.

Hit up 1 store last night. They had the signs up for $3.99 on ANY game so now when I go to other stores today, I can have them call that store to confirm. Stupid manager didn't want to sell me a $30 game for $4 because "that's too good of a deal" Uhh yeah, that's why it's on sale. I asked the store with the sale why they were selling them that cheap, he didn't know. Thought it was to offload their used games cuz nobody buys them anymore?

Looks like the hwv is over with a manager I talked to said there were a whole bunch of mistakes in the repricing yesterday and that is why for all the great deals scanned soulcalibur and battlefield bc both came up regular price can't complain too much walked out with Rainbow six vega, GH2, and rb for $9 yesterday

Thanks to OP for posting this. I went to two Hollywood Videos, picked up the following:
Rogue Galaxy (PS2) (Complete)
Wall.E (PS2) (Hollywood case, disk)
Okami (PS2) (Complete)
Halo 2: Limited Collector's Edition (X-Box) (Complete with case, booklets, disks)
Lego: Indiana Jones (PS2) (Hollywood case, disk)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS2) (Hollywood case, disk)
Suikoden 5 (PS2) (Complete)
Poke'mon XD: Gale of Darkness (GC) (Reg. case and disk)
Rez (PS2) (Hollywood case, disk)

Only trouble is, Rez has disk read error :(
And thanks once again OP. I might be heading back to pick up GOW 1 and 2, KH 1 and 2, and RE for GC. Btw, if any Cagers could help me out, where can I turn some of these titles for the best profit (cash)? Christmas is coming up, and I need money for presents. Many thanks to any who can help.

Dumb question but I have to ask... does anyone bring the games that have the HWV case into GS or BBV to trade in, or do you just bring the game only? I don't know if GS or BBV would frown on this for some reason.

[quote name='steebo777']Dumb question but I have to ask... does anyone bring the games that have the HWV case into GS or BBV to trade in, or do you just bring the game only? I don't know if GS or BBV would frown on this for some reason.[/quote]

Best to do game only, why even give them the suspicion of theft/shiftiness?

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Best to do game only, why even give them the suspicion of theft/shiftiness?[/quote]

It depends on your Gamestops really. Some Gamestops would rather have a piece of crap case than no case at all and will refurb fee you automatically if there's no case. And they have to assume that people buy games at different places. It's really not all that suspicious to be trading in 5 games from Hollywood Video. Now, if you did that every day, I can see where there'd be a problem.

[quote name='GuardianE']It depends on your Gamestops really. Some Gamestops would rather have a piece of crap case than no case at all and will refurb fee you automatically if there's no case. And they have to assume that people buy games at different places. It's really not all that suspicious to be trading in 5 games from Hollywood Video. Now, if you did that every day, I can see where there'd be a problem.[/quote]

I've traded all over michigan and mass. and I've never been hit with a refurb fee for not having a case (done alot of times due to saving the white wii cases to ship wii sports in on ebay :cool:)

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I've traded all over michigan and mass. and I've never been hit with a refurb fee for not having a case (done alot of times due to saving the white wii cases to ship wii sports in on ebay :cool:)[/quote]

I can say that every time I've traded in game only I've been hit with a refurb. And the disc itself was brand new. Literally. I opened it in the parking lot. This happened at around 3 locations. I didn't test it further because three refurbs is enough for me.

[quote name='tiredfornow']If you have a stupid employee, the 360/ps3/wii games also work with the coupon. They're not supposed to, but I asked and the employee said "if it works, it works I guess". I picked up 100 bucks worth of stuff and ended up making around 700-720 in credit. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap...

Also, one Hollywood Video near me wasn't doing the cheap 360 stuff cause they just weren't ringing up at the crazy prices. However, another Hollywood video was! Picked up Mercenaries 2 (360) for either $17.07 or $16.50 after 25% off along with other last gen & current gen stuff.

[quote name='tiredfornow']If you have a stupid employee, the 360/ps3/wii games also work with the coupon. They're not supposed to, but I asked and the employee said "if it works, it works I guess". I picked up 100 bucks worth of stuff and ended up making around 700-720 in credit. Just a heads up.[/quote]kfjeojraklej!!!?!!?!

I went to HV video just now to try.

Told him, he said "hmm, if it works, it works" too! Haha.
Was rubbing my hands as he was collecting the games!
Wooo! Major $$$ coming!

Then as he got the last game.....

"You know, I better call my boss about this, just in case..."

Walked out with just XBOX DDR which is decent.

:(

Gimmie points! ;)

[quote name='steebo777']Dumb question but I have to ask... does anyone bring the games that have the HWV case into GS or BBV to trade in, or do you just bring the game only? I don't know if GS or BBV would frown on this for some reason.[/quote]I took them in with HWV cases and all.

Literally left HWV and went down the block to GS.

I finally got around to checking out my local store. I got pretty discouraged with finding anything flip worthy... until I hit the GameCube section, and found an insane SIX copies of Pikmin 2... : /

They were all disc only in crappy cases, but that hasn't stopped Gamestop from taking them (one at a time, sadly) for nearly $30 in store credit each (they trade for almost $20 naturally, plus 40% extra from Cellfire and Edge)... thanks OP :)

Just posting my final stats:

Money spent at HV: $62 (tax included)
Money spent on shipping for Goozex: $6
Total money spent: $68 (minus gas)

Goozex points earned: 900 ($45 value)
Cash from Ma & Pa store for 1 of the games: $13
Gamestop credit earned: $204
Plus GI subscription and Edge renewal: $10 value
Total earned: $272

Exact 4:1 ratio!!! Great deal. Thanks OP.

Just got back from some flipping. Picked up Mercs 2 (PS@2), SWFU (PS2), Baldurs Gate 2 Dark Alliance (PS@), and Legend of Zelda Twilight (GC) for $17. The worker made me wait quite a long time as he called his manager and coworker on the phone as he was in disbelief at the discounts. Finally he gave it to me. The manager called soon after and told him to immediately take down all signs. I walked down to Gamestop and sold the games for about $90. Thanks OP!

I posted this in the other thread but I picked up....

Arc the Lad: End of Darkness (PS2) (complete and pristine)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (PS2) (complete and pristine)
Dot Hack 3 (PS2) (disc only)

All for under $13! I'm going to another HV that has a much bigger library after work. Thanks for the heads up!

Just back from a round of 3 Hollywoods.
First store, not much, asked about the low priced 360 games from the day before, she said it was a mistake and they are only 25% off.
Second store had PS2 Lego Indy, Kung Fu, Mercs 2, and SWFU. Nice!
Third was where I loaded up yesterday, what I left was marked back up.

GTA IV only got $14 at Gamestop with bonus, should have held it and used the trade 2 get a game for $19.99. Have a second I was going to keep but may trade it while the getting is good.

Deal of the Year! Holy shit I got some great & decent games out of this. I didn't think they would have anything worthy but they did. wOOOHOOO! I'll post the games later, too excited right now!

[quote name='animemaniac14']which location was this if i may ask?

in fact..everyone should start puttin the locations they hit so other CAGs can save their gas and time[/quote]

Yeah. I'm going to put my location, so even more local CAG's who don't post but hit every motherfuckin' store around here and clean them out can repeat what they've already done at Hollywood Video. I was lucky to get the 10-11 decent TIV games that I already have, but some motherfuckin' prick cleaned out EVERY LAST copy of Mercs 2 and Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

I was lucky enough to find a copy of Kung Fu Panda and 3-5 other good games yesterday and I was shocked that the hoarder didn't grab the complete copy of Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude for Xbox that I did the other day.

I may try and go back to the other local HWV today to see if there's any other decent flips left there. If so, I may grab another 3-5 games to get the bonus @ Gamestop. Plus, I have to return a copy of Gladius that I bought that had one of those annoying MG clear security stickers on that I tried removing after I bought it(and it fuckin' ripped off part of the top label on the game).

I'm really jealous and sad about this. I'm sure that the one near me denied it simply because the manager doesn't want to let stock go for that cheap.

[quote name='davo1224']I'm really jealous and sad about this. I'm sure that the one near me denied it simply because the manager doesn't want to let stock go for that cheap.[/quote]

Ask to speak with the District Manager.

I went to a hollywood this morning and as I was in the store the sign 3.99 on any used ps2,gc and xbox was just put up MGS 4 was 39.99 so indeed these prices are YMMV I managed to find Lego Indiana JOnes and Metal GEar Twin SNakes for 3.99!!! Went to another hollywood down the road they didn't have the signs up so I didn't want to bother asking

[quote name='CaoPi']I went to a hollywood this morning and as I was in the store the sign 3.99 on any used ps2,gc and xbox was just put up MGS 4 was 39.99 so indeed these prices are YMMV I managed to find Lego Indiana JOnes and Metal GEar Twin SNakes for 3.99!!! Went to another hollywood down the road they didn't have the signs up so I didn't want to bother asking[/quote]

... only one in three Hollywood Videos by me actually had signs. All three were participating. It never hurts to ask.

[quote name='J7.']Is it confirmed that none of the Hollywood Videos with a Game Crazy are participating in this deal?[/QUOTE]

I think that's a great question. Can anyone answer/confirm this by chance? I am going to a HWV after work that has a GameCrazy in it...will they have these deals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back