Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I came away with a nice size deal... I only had $30 to work with and only one local HWV (Though I'm going to hit up the Movie Gallery in the next day) and I came away with:

1 PS2 Fatal Flaw
1 PS2 Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
1 PS2 GrimGrimoire
1 XBOX GTA: San Andreas (PH Version)
2 XBOX Battlefiont II

Amount Spent: $29.88

Travelled a bit down the road, to the local GameStop

Traded in:

Fatal Flaw
Ratchet & Clank: SM
Battlefront II
San Andreas (Really wanted to keep it, but for the price I got in credit it was worth more to flip)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (PS2) I had that laying around (Don't have a PS2 or PS3 so of no use to me)

I had originally had two Battlefront IIs on the table for them to process for the deal, however the clerk informed me they don't take multiples of games, so... yeah. At least it works with my 360, and I've been getting a collection together finally.

Here's where the fishy part comes in: I notice that the credit is something along the lines of $63.00, which is good... but the Fatal Flaw was listed on the receipt as $7.00 trade in value (9.10 with the tiered deal) and I figured hey it was only 3.99 why complain about a profit, so I bushed it off and looked around at games for a bit. Now I'm well aware that GS lists Backwards Compatible games with (BC) and that's what helped me notice that the clerk had given me the XBOX value for the PS2 title. I went back to the clerk and mentioned it to him, and he realized his mistake, so he had to go and re-do the entire transaction, though he couldn't find the game I had just 5 minutes before traded in. Turns out they had already labelled the game as XBOX for $16.99 and the lady working there had taken the game and hid it underneath the counter, and she said "Oh, I saw it and thought it was a great price for the game, so I was going to buy it later.." After all that, I ended up getting an extra $15.00 in credit applied to my "EDGE Gift card" as I haven't gotten my EDGE Card yet. $78 in credit for $30 spent and I have to take GrimGrimoire back to HWV to get Ninja Gaiden Black, since it only netted me $4 credit at GS, and I have a copy of Battlefront II now!

Thanks to the OP for this great deal... I'm hoping to get in on some more gaming action.

Picked up the following for keeps:

:ps2:
007: From Russia With Love
Sly Cooper
Simpsons: Hit and Run
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
Ribbit King
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

:gc:
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee

There was a whole lot of PS2 games, but I skipped most as they didn't have original art and I was keeping them. Everything I got was complete except Ribbit King lacks the manual.

I was a little late to the party, so this is all I was able to find.

Final Fantasy X(complete with manual, original case & artwork)
Xenosaga III(has manual, original artwork, and a generic dvd case)
Resident Evil 4(complete with manual, original case & artwork)

The store had a ton of games left, but nothing special.

OMG...here's a few stats from my last 24 hours:

Sleep-0 hours
Towns visited-4
States visited-2
Movie Galleries visited-10
Miles traveled-approximately 150 (hey at least gas is cheap again, so this is an accpetable cost!)
Games bought day 1-23
Games day 2-30+
MG employess whose jaw dropped when I checked out-3
Stores that would not honor the deal (out of 10)-1
Sick new next gen games I'm about to be playing-All of them!

Traded in my first round from day 1 (well, 19 of 23 games...total cost @ $82), got $218 credit at GS.

I went and checked out the Hollywood Video near me, mainly for the sole purpose of building a decent Gamecube collection for my two younger cousins. Wanted to see how many good games I could come up with for under $100. Here's the haul:

1. Smash Bros. Melee
  2. Super Mario Strikers
  3. Mario Party 4
  4. Mario Party 5
  5. Zelda: Twilight Princess
  6. Zelda: Four Swords
  7. Zelda: Windwaker
  8. Zelda: Collector's Edition
  9. Animal Crossing
  10. Pokemon XD
  11. Pokemon Colosseum
  12. Pikmin
  13. Pikmin 2
  14. Metroid Prime
  15. Metroid Prime 2
  16. Mario Golf
  17. Kirby Air Ride
All in all, I think these kids are going to be pretty damn happy. Buying this stuff for them on eBay or at GS would have run about $300+, easily. I didn't even break $80!

[quote name='sizzlorr']I went and checked out the Hollywood Video near me, mainly for the sole purpose of building a decent Gamecube collection for my two younger cousins. Wanted to see how many good games I could come up with for under $100. Here's the haul:

1. Smash Bros. Melee
  2. Super Mario Strikers
  3. Mario Party 4
  4. Mario Party 5
  9. Animal Crossing
  10. Pokemon XD
  11. Pokemon Colosseum
  12. Pikmin
  13. Pikmin 2
  14. Metroid Prime
  15. Metroid Prime 2
  16. Mario Golf
  17. Kirby Air Ride
All in all, I think these kids are going to be pretty damn happy. Buying this stuff for them on eBay or at GS would have run about $300+, easily. I didn't even break $80![/quote]

I'm envious of your hauls.

[quote name='sizzlorr']I went and checked out the Hollywood Video near me, mainly for the sole purpose of building a decent Gamecube collection for my two younger cousins. Wanted to see how many good games I could come up with for under $100. Here's the haul:

1. Smash Bros. Melee
  2. Super Mario Strikers
  3. Mario Party 4
  4. Mario Party 5
  9. Animal Crossing
  10. Pokemon XD
  11. Pokemon Colosseum
  12. Pikmin
  13. Pikmin 2
  14. Metroid Prime
  15. Metroid Prime 2
  16. Mario Golf
  17. Kirby Air Ride
All in all, I think these kids are going to be pretty damn happy. Buying this stuff for them on eBay or at GS would have run about $300+, easily. I didn't even break $80![/quote]

Yep, somebody else's kids, apparently:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202451

So do you guys think they will start adding more rental games very soon to their used buy to keep section?

[quote name='sizzlorr']I'm not sure what you're shooting for, boss. The games I'm selling have cases, manuals, etc.; these are rentals from a video store. Maybe you can help me fill in the blanks. Or, maybe you just know everything already.[/QUOTE]

There are many instances of these games coming from HV WITH ORIGINAL ARTWORK, MANUALS, AND CASES... I have a stack of complete games from them in front of me... granted you have different titles on you list than the list of your pick ups from HV... all in all, pretty good pickup for you... congrats

[quote name='sizzlorr']I'm not sure what you're shooting for, boss. The games I'm selling have cases, manuals, etc.; these are rentals from a video store. Maybe you can help me fill in the blanks. Or, maybe you just know everything already.[/quote]

[quote name='sizzlorr']I went and checked out the Hollywood Video near me, mainly for the sole purpose of building a decent Gamecube collection for my two younger cousins. [/quote]

are your younger cousins gonna be filling up your ebay wallet?

[quote name='sgaldis211']OMG...here's a few stats from my last 24 hours:

Sleep-0 hours
Towns visited-4
States visited-2
Miles traveled-approximately 150 (hey at least gas is cheap again, so this is an accpetable cost!)
Games bought day 1-23
Games day 2-30+

Traded in my first round from day 1 (well, 19 of 23 games...total cost @ $82), got $218 credit at GS.[/quote]

2 states?! DUDE and i thought i was crazy going all the way down to the Airport HV (about 80-90 miles away!) Which states did you hit? im very curious

[quote name='sizzlorr']I'm not sure what you're shooting for, boss. The games I'm selling have cases, manuals, etc.; these are rentals from a video store. Maybe you can help me fill in the blanks. Or, maybe you just know everything already.[/quote]

wow...a CAG newbie...

I smell a SDer...one of the first I've actually seen (err...SMELLED) on the CAG forums..

don't know why you feel like justifying yourself even tho the evidence is right in front of us...very strange

[quote name='animemaniac14']2 states?! DUDE and i thought i was crazy going all the way down to the Airport HV (about 80-90 miles away!) Which states did you hit? im very curious[/quote]
I don't feel so bad anymore!

I visited two.I had to return 4 of 6 games I picked up at first HWV because they did not work.I picked up Mega man Anniversary Collection,Metal Slug Anthology Wii,Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter Anniversary,Raiden III,Kessen III and Condemned 2 PS3.

[quote name='animemaniac14']2 states?! DUDE and i thought i was crazy going all the way down to the Airport HV (about 80-90 miles away!) Which states did you hit? im very curious[/quote]

To be fair, when I lived near Kansas City, hitting 2 states is pretty easy since it stradles the state line (same with a lot of other cities like St Louis). Heck, if you live near Washington, you can pretty easily hit 3 states and DC.

That said, gotta give him credit for a 2 state 10 store jaunt. That's some truckin' :D

SI

[quote name='sgaldis211']Stores that would not honor the deal (out of 10)-1[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm 3 out of 6, but nonetheless I managed to get nearly as much stuff as you just from those 3 stores. I even went back to one I went to 3 or 4 days ago even though another CAG told me he also went there and bought stuff. I managed to find 8 more things we both missed before - though none of it is the really great stuff (Wall-E, Family Guy, etc.). They actually have several more of those types of games. I suppose if you were doing this with cash you'd try to stick with the Madden 09s., SWFU, etc... But since I'm using all Gamecrazy credit I can be less selective - doubling Gamecrazy credit into Gamestop credit is a no brainer, really. I'm actually nearly out of credit on cards at this point (though I have more on a store account I could put on a card if I wanted).

In any case, I drove out to the Mall GS at 8:15 PM tonight (and it is 15 miles away). Made it there with about 10 minutes to spare. I wanted to get rid of some of this stuff before the wacky price drops start happening. Just as a first attempt I brought some of the worst stuff (in terms of condition and lack of original cover art and UPC codes). Except for 2 of the 13 things, I was very fortunate. Even though the guy took a long look at a few of the discs he didn't hit me with any refurbs, so that definitely made it worth the trip (the closer GS nails you for not having original art inserts). The end result was $134 in GS credit from 11 HWV games (thus $44 in Gamecrazy credit spent). Not bad... not bad at all... (and I still have several more to trade tomorrow)

One of the ones I had problems with was GTA: San Andreas. I guess I have 2 of the bad ones, so I either need to return them or keep trying till someone takes them. They seem pretty on top of that at GS though. How does the return process at Hollywood go? They told me the 30/90 (different numbers from different clerks) days is for defective ones - and they would probably just resurface them if I said they didn't work. It's no big deal if I get stuck with them, but I have no use for 'em otherwise so I'd like to get the $8 back at least ;).

The other one I had a problem with was my own fault. I grabbed a complete/near mint DDR Ultramix 2 for the Xbox thinking that was the one someone reported $6 or so for. It turns out that was DDR Ultramix 4. The one I got only trades for $1.50. So I'll hold on to that for a bit to see if I need it for trade padding (to get 5). But then I guess I'll try to return that too. Also, about the returns - do they take them at different stores than you bought them from? I don't want to go back to the one I got the DDR game at. Another problem with the returns that I anticipate is that they will just give me credit on the store account. They said they can't issue credit on gift cards (I asked if they would put trade-ins on them and they said no - store account only). At my local store I guess I might use it eventually on rentals so I suppose $12 there wouldn't be the end of the world.

What is amazing to me is that at the 3 stores where I've gotten in on the promo, 2 of them actually had the signage up and yet it didn't seem like anyone really knew about it. While for all I know there was much better stuff (like SW:FU which I never did find), that I did get beat to, it seems like the casual-friendly stuff is sitting there being ignored. I mean, the average Hollywood shopper I would think would snag things like Wall-E and Kung-Fu Panda for $4 to keep if they really noticed the sale - that's cheaper than a rental. And I've seen tons of people with kids in there getting movies while I look through the games. Even the people renting games and buying new games from their Gamezone section seem to ignore the signs and used game racks. Oh well, more for me ;). Of course, a lot of this is a function of how they have the store and this particular promo set up. If they put all these games in a bin by the front with a huge "ALL games in here are $3.99!" sign then they would probably sell a lot more. I think a lot of people probably think the "$3.99" signs they do have on an end cap or above one shelf (seen it both ways) refer to rental pricing and just pass it right by.

My haul from yesterday, amazing how much more I could find with out having to keep one eye on my kids(i left them home with wifey). One of 3 stores definitely restocked. Had to use real credit:hot:(amex), but will Wii-bay to pay off what I laid out. And grabbed a Wii sports when I trade in my first stack.

PS2
ICO(disc only)
Hannah Montana World Tour(this must have just been put out for sale, my girls would have seen it on the first trip)
God of War(was sealed)
God of War 2
Power Rangers Superlegends
Xenosage 3
Cabela's Trophy bucks
WallE(3)
Bee Movie(2)
Lego SW 2(3)
SW Battlefront2(3)
SF Alpha Anth(2)
GTA SanAndreas(2, but i think they are both the 'hot coffee' versions one was sealed, clerk opened it to check disc was in it)
Family Guy
Hot Wheels Beat that(3)
Need for Speed Prostreet
MX ATV Untamed(4)
Spongebob Atlantis(4, TIV dropped, i know)
Wild Arms 5
Warriors Orochi

Gamecube
Mario Party 7
Tales of Symphonia
Legend of Zelda Twighlight Princess

Xbox
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 2
SW JK2 Jedi Outcast
Conker Live and Reloaded(2)
Family Guy
Lego SW 2(2)
SW Battlefront2(3)

[quote name='sgaldis211']OMG...here's a few stats from my last 24 hours:

Sleep-0 hours
Towns visited-4
States visited-2
Games bought day 1-23
Games day 2-30+

Traded in my first round from day 1 (well, 19 of 23 games...total cost @ $82), got $218 credit at GS.[/quote]

Wrecking after falling asleep driving: Priceless

[quote name='JJSP']Mhmm. I think someone posted that their store pulls rental stock and converts it to sale once a week. There's a store here that has around ten copies of Lego Batman (PS2) - I expect some of those to end up for sale instead.[/quote]

That was me, and I found this out after talking to the manager. :)

[quote name='Capa']I was told 3-4 weeks[/quote]

That person gave you a misstatement. The barcode explanation even states TBA, so nobody except corporate knows... but it is an attempt to phase out older gen games.

OK, I am gonna be going to an out of the way Movie Gallery today and see what they have. Will the games automatically ring up at this price? or am I gonna have to ask them to get out the deal sheet on scan something?

[quote name='Drkirby']Does anyone know how long this sale is going to last?[/quote]

I have asked the same questions to every HWV employees I came across and they all don't seem to know. Hopefully, very long time.

Besides I don't know if someone already said this here. I have been to 4 HWV last few days and have found out that all 4 stores have received at least 3 full boxes of used games for this particular sale.
I do know they get massive number of rentals when new games launch, and slowly convert rentals for sale. I don't think that is the case for this sale.
Also when I asked, they said they are not sure if they will get any more shipment or not.

[quote name='ninja dog']

1. Smash Bros. Melee
  2. Super Mario Strikers
  3. Mario Party 4
  4. Mario Party 5
  9. Animal Crossing
  10. Pokemon XD
  11. Pokemon Colosseum
  12. Pikmin
  13. Pikmin 2
  14. Metroid Prime
  15. Metroid Prime 2
  16. Mario Golf
  17. Kirby Air Ride

Yep, somebody else's kids, apparently:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202451[/quote]

HAHAHA....

I went to my local Movie Gallery which didn't have much of a selection, but did pick up Family Guy (PS2) and Dot.Hack Outbreak Part 3 just to complete a 5 game trade bundle for GS. Outbreak comes with a bonus anime DVD. Does anyone know how much Outbreak trades for and if I need to include the DVD when I bring it in for trade?

[quote name='io'] How does the return process at Hollywood go?[/quote]

According to the one manager that I tried to do a straight up return to last night(after finding out that Raiden III only nets .75 @ Gamestop), they don't give cash/credit back. They will only let you do an exchange for another game.

It says that 'all used product sales are FINAL' up by the counter under one of those mat type things on the counter.

So YMMV on getting money/credit back and not being told that you need to swap out for something else.

[quote name='chrisc133']HV in Athens, GA had nothing good.[/quote]

well thanks for the update :whistle2:D looks like i won't be driving 200 miles over to athens lol

have you by chance visited any other HVs in GA? or plan to?

[quote name='darthbudge']OK, I am gonna be going to an out of the way Movie Gallery today and see what they have. Will the games automatically ring up at this price? or am I gonna have to ask them to get out the deal sheet on scan something?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be nice - no, if you read the thread you'll see people (especially me) have had all sorts of trouble with being told the deal doesn't exist or is only on $12.99 and under stuff, etc.. The problem is that they do have to scan a bar code and it has to be the right one. I almost got denied the other day because they kept scanning the $3.99 movie deal bar code and then saying that these games must not qualify. I peered over to look at their sheet (upside down for me) and saw right away that the the $3.99 game barcode was a row down from the one they were scanning and suggested they use that one - got the games for $3.99 ;).

[quote name='maccabee72']I went to my local Movie Gallery which didn't have much of a selection, but did pick up Family Guy (PS2) and Dot.Hack Outbreak Part 3 just to complete a 5 game trade bundle for GS. Outbreak comes with a bonus anime DVD. Does anyone know how much Outbreak trades for and if I need to include the DVD when I bring it in for trade?[/QUOTE]

I traded .hack Mutation which also supposedly comes with an anime DVD (which I did not get) and the GS guy didn't seem to care. They really shouldn't as it isn't part of the game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']According to the one manager that I tried to do a straight up return to last night(after finding out that Raiden III only nets .75 @ Gamestop), they don't give cash/credit back. They will only let you do an exchange for another game.

It says that 'all used product sales are FINAL' up by the counter under one of those mat type things on the counter.

So YMMV on getting money/credit back and not being told that you need to swap out for something else.[/QUOTE]

It seems that lots of other people were saying they were taking stuff back no problem. Oh well, on the GTA San Andreas I'm going to say exactly why - that they sold me the "banned" copy. I think they'll probably comply on that. As for the DDR 2, well, I can swap that one out as I'm sure there's something else there still worth getting even if it is Ratatouille for the Gamecube (which, for some reason, my son who only plays Guitar Hero and Rock Band these days wanted :roll:).

Ok, grabbed a few more things after hearing my local Hollywood video takes Rentals and sets them to used on Sundays. Its funny hearing my self referred to in the past tense as if I was anther person though. They said 'Some kid came in and wiped us out by taking $80 worth of stuff'. What, they had a lot of good stuff, and the newer titles were taken between my 2nd and 3rd trip anyway before I did my major buy (Like Force Unleashed, Madden 09, Mercs 2, Lego Indy).

HWV has 90-day guarantee on pre-played game purchases. Just take your game and the receipt to them and tell'em the game is not working. They will gladly let you exchange it for another game. However, they won't give you a refund.

[quote name='maccabee72']I went to my local Movie Gallery which didn't have much of a selection, but did pick up Family Guy (PS2) and Dot.Hack Outbreak Part 3 just to complete a 5 game trade bundle for GS. Outbreak comes with a bonus anime DVD. Does anyone know how much Outbreak trades for and if I need to include the DVD when I bring it in for trade?[/quote]

It was like 3.75 or 4.00 (it's only 14.99 or 19.99 on their site)

And no, no anime disk needed... and if your GS cashier is a jerk, requiring it.... just remove the cover/manual.... because they sure as hell don't discount the sales of games that lack that sort of stuff anyway.

[quote name='jooanyenna']HWV has 90-day guarantee on pre-played game purchases. Just take your game and the receipt to them and tell'em the game is not working. They will gladly let you exchange it for another game. However, they won't give you a refund.[/quote]

What is funny about this is that I kept getting told I have a "lifetime" guarantee on it... which I assume means they will buff the game out whenever it's needed. Maybe that was a Movie Gallery though.

[quote name='stone1061']My haul from yesterday, amazing how much more I could find with out having to keep one eye on my kids(i left them home with wifey). One of 3 stores definitely restocked.
[/quote]
Your store restocked their used games yesterday? How many more games were there?

I picked up these games from my last trip to HWV in puyallup, WA.

PS2
Odin Sphere(complete)
yakuza 2(complete),
Rock Band(HWV case, Disk only)
Valkyrie Profile 2(complete)
The Warriors(complete)

XBOX
Fatal Frame(HWV case, insert and disk)

They all seem to be in great condition.

The thing is, I could not verify TIV for any of the above. Does anyone have any idea?

(I've already checked the other thread about GS TIV and GS employees wouldn't give me a quote over the phone. I still am waiting for my $2 EDGE card in the mail, and I will probably head out to GS as soon as I get it.)

What is funny about this is that I kept getting told I have a "lifetime" guarantee on it... which I assume means they will buff the game out whenever it's needed. Maybe that was a Movie Gallery though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can only buff the game so many times before you actually ruin the game.

my local HWV happened to have a bunch more today Mercenaries 2, Lego Batman, FIFA 09 and Force Unleashed.

Working with a limited budget I bought FU, FIFA 09, and Mercenaries 2

I'm adding two throwaway games to the lot and flipping to GameStop, but I was considering getting cash on at least one of the games, which I would go back to HWV and pick up a few more titles to flip back to GS. Sound like a good idea or no?

I finally got to MG today. Here's what I picked up, in varying states of completeness:

Mario Kart: Double Dash(x2)
Zelda: WW
Zelda: 4 Swords
Zelda: OoT & MQ
Mario Party 5
GTA: SA(XBox)
Xenosaga: Episode I(PS2)

They still had quite a few left, and I'll probably go back tomorrow after I check the TIVs for some of the ones I wasn't sure about.

Went to 2 HV and 3 MG, the two HV have Game Crazy attached to it and they both told me the company had transfer the games out last week. T.T No games from these two.

Drive half an hour away to the first MG and they do have the sale but not many games there, like 15-20 games, and most of them sucks. Then i went to another two MG that is another half hour away, these two actually have more games but the employees there won't just sell me the games for $4 at first, but lucky me i bought a game from the first MG and i got the coupon code form there and i just trick the employees for the last two to just put that in for me. Lol. total score 8 games

Cabela's Big Game Hunter
Cabela's Trophy Bucks
FIFA 07
Ico
Lego Batman
Ratatoiulle
Stuntman Ignition

Harvest Moon Magical Melody

assume to make $72-33= $39

going back to the 3 MG this Friday and see what they have. i heard form one of the employee and he said that the sale is not gonna end within a month or two and the stock of the PS2 will increase every week or so because they need space to put out the new gen games. They have a lot of possible high flip PS2 games on shelf now, waiting for order from above to place all those games into $4 section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back