Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy at my Hollywood video looked through whatever he had and didn't find this promotion. He said the manager was coming back tomorrow. Is there any kind of coupon or sheet you guys have online that I can use to prove this is going on?

[quote name='Aleins4u']The guy at my Hollywood video looked through whatever he had and didn't find this promotion. He said the manager was coming back tomorrow. Is there any kind of coupon or sheet you guys have online that I can use to prove this is going on?[/quote]

u can just tell them the coupon code and as soon as they put it in the system they will see the deal and make every last gen previewed game to $3.99

Got another decent score today...

Odin Sphere (PS2) missing manual
GrimGrimoire (PS2) complete
Baulder's Gate (PS2) complete

All discs look great! The weird thing about my store was that when I looked in another section of PS2 games, they had tons of stickers on them that said "Game Vault" and had no price. I didn't want to ask if they were for sale because there was a new kid training and he wouldn't know, BUT they had two copies of Futurama in generic cases. I wanted to grab one, but yea.

What is the TIV for Baulder's Gate at the moment?

[quote name='jooanyenna']I have asked the same questions to every HWV employees I came across and they all don't seem to know. Hopefully, very long time.

Besides I don't know if someone already said this here. I have been to 4 HWV last few days and have found out that all 4 stores have received at least 3 full boxes of used games for this particular sale.
I do know they get massive number of rentals when new games launch, and slowly convert rentals for sale. I don't think that is the case for this sale.
Also when I asked, they said they are not sure if they will get any more shipment or not.[/quote]

the employee at one of the MG told me that the sale is not gonna end within a month or two, and may be even longer, and they wont received any more boxes of games, but they will pull down all the used old gen games from the shelf to $3.99 to make space for new gen games

Awesome sale. I picked up for PS2: Madden 09 x7, NCAA Football 09, NHL 2K9, Forced Unleashed x2, GTA:SA for Xbox. Damn Gamestop rule of not allowing multiples of the same title for tradein per visit.

[quote name='zenintrude']went to a MG/GZ, scanned Persona 3 and it came up $39.99... is there some code they have to enter to make it 3.99 or something?[/quote]

It might of been a new copy.

[quote name='jooanyenna']I picked up these games from my last trip to HWV in puyallup, WA.

PS2
Odin Sphere(complete)
yakuza 2(complete),
Rock Band(HWV case, Disk only)
Valkyrie Profile 2(complete)
The Warriors(complete)

XBOX
Fatal Frame(HWV case, insert and disk)

They all seem to be in great condition.

The thing is, I could not verify TIV for any of the above. Does anyone have any idea?

(I've already checked the other thread about GS TIV and GS employees wouldn't give me a quote over the phone. I still am waiting for my $2 EDGE card in the mail, and I will probably head out to GS as soon as I get it.)[/QUOTE]

Nice, I was just at all HWVs in Puyallup yesterday and missed that Rock Band. Picked one up somewhere else and traded it in at the Auburn Supermall GS for $10.75 before bonuses, $15.05 after Edge and the 30% deal. A tip for you, don't bother going to the Bonney Lake HWV because they did not have any $3.99 signs up and claimed they were a "mini Gamecrazy" despite having a game section that looked like all other HWVs, and did not have the deal. The girl did check for a memo in the computer, so she wasn't just being a knowitall. Too bad, too, they had a lot of goodies.

Post to follow in the GS 30% thread with a crapload of TIVs.

Interesting run in with GTA SA for PS2. I got the banned copy, and tried at a couple of stores. Tried the whole "But, you sell the Guy Game, wah" and no dice. So, I went to another Hollywood Video and explained I wanted the second edition. She complied. I traded it out and it looked like someone took a knife to the new GTA I got. So, I went back in and we opened another case. Same thing. I grabbed the second to last one and it looks awesome!

So, I go down to the other store and fail AGAIN at trading it in. It turns out I got the banned version in a Greatest Hits box. I'm done, I'm just going to keep it or go into a large crowd and chuck it in the air.

[quote name='zenintrude']no. it was not.[/quote]

Regardless, there is a code that needs to be punched in/scanned for the discount to take place. It's not automatic.

Finally hit a Movie Gallery today thinking I'd be SOL but luckily is was worth both drives.

FIrst One:
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (Minty Fresh)
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Animal Crossing
Eternal Darkness
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
LoZ Collector Edition
GTA San Andreas (PS2)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Second Store about 50 miles away (Such a boring drive)
Smash Bros Melee (Horrendous copy)
LoZ Wind Waker (Horrendous copy)
LoZ Wind Waker decent
Super Mario Strikers
Super Mario Sunshine (disc only)
GTA San Andreas (Xbox)

Time to relax and see which of these work and which i'll have to flip. Thanks OP this is an amazing deal. One store had a sign up with alterations to it, such as the 12.99 or less but the nice cashier told me it didn't matter. The second one just had the sale sign up with no alterations. Hopefully the first store restocks because the second one isn't worth the drive for the condition of the discs.

Hit 2 Movie Galleries and 1 HWV. Grabbed 3 Mercs 2, 3 Wall-E, and 4 Lego Batman at the first MG, as well as Killer 7 for myself. Got Lego Star Wars II at the second MG and Mario Power Tennis at the HWV for myself. Going to hit HWV again tomorrow to grab some Battlefronts and other games I didn't know were flippable, then start trading in some units of 5. Thanks for the great deal.

[quote name='GuardianE']Regardless, there is a code that needs to be punched in/scanned for the discount to take place. It's not automatic.[/QUOTE]

kk, then i may go back and see what's up... any idea what the code is so that i can tell them about it if they don't know?

[quote name='zenintrude']went to a MG/GZ, scanned Persona 3 and it came up $39.99... is there some code they have to enter to make it 3.99 or something?[/quote]

the GC i went to actually told me that the deal has ended for all GC but still available in all HV and MG

ok i went today and spent about $181 dollars
then traded them in at 5 different Game stop location so i wouldn't get hassled I ended up with $660 credit

I bought
60 gig xbox 360
DS Lite
Gears of War 2
Xbox wireless controller
and a used ds game

But here's the weird part the Guy at Hollywood video told me that the
Xbox 360 60 gig with the two free games was $239 that they lowered the price today i asked him if this was a Hollywood video promo he said he did not know.

Does anyone know about this?

Went to 2 different HWVs today and picked up:

14 x LEGO Batman
4 x FIFA Soccer 09
9 x Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
3 x Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Amount Spent: $119.7 + taxes

Traded them in @ GS after Edge+30%

LEGO Batman $18.20 x 14
FIFA Soccer 09 $26.95 x 4
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames $26.25 x 9
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed $26.25 x 3

Total TIV: $677.60

Thanks OP!
:applause:

[quote name='newlu']Went to 2 different HWVs today and picked up:

14 x LEGO Batman
4 x FIFA Soccer 09
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you cleaned them out!

[quote name='newlu']Went to 2 different HWVs today and picked up:

14 x LEGO Batman
4 x FIFA Soccer 09

Amount Spent: $119.7 + taxes

Traded them in @ GS after Edge+30%

LEGO Batman $18.20 x 14
FIFA Soccer 09 $26.95 x 4
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames $26.25 x 9
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed $26.25 x 3

Total TIV: $677.60

Thanks OP!
[/quote]

WOW !! :applause: Almost sounds unbelievable !!?!?!?! How the HECK did you manage to trade 14 copies of Lego Batman in one day ?? :D

[quote name='Xfactor4']WOW !! :applause: Almost sounds unbelievable !!?!?!?! How the HECK did you manage to trade 14 copies of Lego Batman in one day ?? :D[/quote]

I went to 4 different GS and the manager at the 4th GS I visited told me I could trade in as many duplicates as I would like to so I traded all of my remaining copies to them.
I guess I just got lucky.:cool:

The Hollywood in Lubbock on 50th and Indiana just put out a bunch of new games today. I snagged a few Mercenaries 2, Lego Batman, and Zelda: Twilight Princess. Bunch more still there tho if anyone from this area is interested.

The ones on 19th and Q, and 4th and Frankford are pretty much bone dry.

Also, can anyone confirm a price on fatal frame for xbox? One of the stores (4th and Frankford) and 3 copies, but I only saw the PS2 version worth anything. Oh, and out of curiosity, is anyone NOT peeling the HWV stickers off the boxes and just trading them in with them on?

Man I am so jealous of these big hauls. Oh well, I got a :ps2: MLB Power Pros, Raiden III, and Armored Core Nexus for 3.99+tax each. Trying to decide if I should try GS or GR to trade them in since I am already bored of the first 2 games. No matter, cheaper than a rental.

Still wishing I was lucky enough to haul what JOSEMP81 was able to do. All that for only ~181 is just too much. (Eh, I only have to work x many hours of overtime to equal ~$660 after tax to buy the same amount of stuff, where x is >30 fracking hours)

I had to drive about 30 miles to find a Hollywood that had this promo, but I was able to turn 30.00 cash into 130 Gamestop Credit. Works for me, although when I went they had none of the newer games. There was no Mercs 2, Star Wars FU, or other newer stuff. I got:

2x KungFu Panda
3x Hot Wheels Beat That
1x Balders Gate 2 Dark Alliance

Not a big haul and actually got denied at on HV (was told you have to rent 2 games to be eligible to buy one at $4); however I did manage to get at the 1 st one

Drakengard 2
Grim Grimoire
Yakuza 2
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

[quote name='newlu']I went to 4 different GS and the manager at the 4th GS I visited told me I could trade in as many duplicates as I would like to so I traded all of my remaining copies to them.
[highlight]I guess I just got lucky[/highlight].:cool:[/QUOTE]

VERY VERY much so ;).

I thought I had a HUGE haul when I went to a HWV I hadn't been to yet and found 4 copies of Lego Batman on the shelf. I couldn't quite pull the trigger and only bought 3 along with some games for padding (since I'll never be able to trade duplicates like you anyway). They had nothing else on the high end, though, so I'm guessing this store got hit up by someone before. Well, except I did find a Fatal Frame II.

Unfortunately I did this right after stops at 2 Gamestops where I got rid of all the stuff I had left over prior to this visit. So now I have 3 Lego Batman and 5 other games. I can always use the Cellfire coupon but that means even more trips. But now that it seems a lot of HWV stores have converted stuff over today (Sunday) I might make a quick run to my local store again and see what they have. Problem is, it will probably be more Lego Batman...

On my Gamestop trips I had my third-in-a-row rejection of GTA:SA (this time I tried without the cover). However, at the second store they took it. So now I just have one more of those. They key to getting rid of that - a female cashier at a busy store right before closing ;).

Also, not a refurb in sight for my disc-only and somewhat scratched (though none were too bad) games...

Saw a new game not yet listed but I didn't pick it up: .hack Infection. Now I'll probably find out it's worth tons... (Edit - It is $14.99 used at Gamestop, so less than Mutation - glad I didn't get it)

[quote name='GuardianE']I just opened my Dot Hack Mutation Part 2 to find two bonus DVDs instead of one bonus DVD+game. Damnit.[/QUOTE]

Heh - you must have gotten the other half of my purchase the other day (got two games and no bonus discs).

Well, I had to drive up to IA to visit my mom, so I made the wifey stop at a few movie gallery locations along the way. Found NOTHING at 2 of them, but did score a couple lego batmans at 1 location. The others had nothing that wasn't an 05 or 06 sports game there. THey are huge stores (square footage wise) in small towns in MO, so I'm guessing they just don't convert over the rentals much?

Either way, I got my son Lego Batman for $4, and either a cheap present for the nephew or a quick flip for next to no cash... :)

If I called HWV, would they know if they recently added any games from rental to sale? One store has a bunch of Mercs 2 and Star Wars TFU for rental that I'd love to grab.

just stopped into my local hollywood video. They really did not have much but the manager knew nothing of the promo and showed me her little book with all the promo's going on. She said they might send her something soon and to check in everyday. Is there any way I can get them to do this? The closest HWV nearby besides this store is 1 hour away!

[quote name='Rocko']If I called HWV, would they know if they recently added any games from rental to sale? One store has a bunch of Mercs 2 and Star Wars TFU for rental that I'd love to grab.[/QUOTE]

They should. I was at a store today about 10 minutes after open, and there was a shopping cart full of games and movies. On top was the list that said 11/9 pulls, must be done by 11/12. Had quantity listings of rentals being PPV's. Manager said to come back in an hour, I did, and walked out with a bunch of games before they technically hit the floor (Mercs 2, Lego batman, buncha 09 sports)

Dave

Does anyone know the trade in value of Family Guy for the Xbox? I was at my local HWV a few hours ago and that was really the only game I saw that might be of some value.

Alright, good haul. So far, I've gotten:

Astro Boy
Klonoa 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mario Party 5
Dirge of Cererus
Raiden III
Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
Lego Batman
Skies of Arcadia
Lost Kingdoms 2
Mystic Heroes
-----------------
$44 total. I'm going to flip MvC2 (on ebay now for an $80 BIN, for those using the 25% off), and Raiden III. I'm leaning towards flipping Lego Batman as well, then rebuying it after the price drops.

[quote name='Drkirby']Anyone think I should take the chance and goto the next closest Movie Gallery/ Hollywood Video which is 70 miles away from me?[/quote]

After looking at the local ones, I'd strongly make these recommendations:
1) If it has a GameCrazy attached, don't even bother- they aren't doing the sale
2) If it's a Movie Gallery- they don't seem to have many games, only a couple of shelves worth
3) If it's a Hollywood Video - know your area and know if you have hoarders around

I know this is frequently a no-no, but you might want to call ahead, ask something innocuous about whether they are having any game sales. Something that doesn't immediately clue them into exactly what is going on.

If they don't know- then you might be in luck because odds are, if they don't know about it, then perhaps no one has walked out with all the good games. We've had mixed results with getting people to understand the codes, but for the most part, most of the people working there are clued in now.

Back to before, if they do know about the sale, ask them if they've had the aforementioned "crazy type of person who always seems to walk into the local {insert your favorite local hoarder's paradise like BB/CC/etc}" that you're always hearing about from some employee there.

This isn't like a Best Buy where whoever answers the phone doesn't know what's going on in the store. And I don't mean that in the usual "Best Buy workers are idiots" slam. I mean, it's not like the cashier who's working now would know if someone walked out with a bunch of games yesterday- it's not their department, it's a big store, and they don't work every shift. There's only one person working the video store at a time and only a couple of people total. And so you have a good chance that if something "interesting" like that happened- everyone might know about it.

Hope that helps.

SI

[quote name='MightySlacker']A disc only UNLIMITED SAGA? You have a very liberal interpretation of the word "collection"

Dave[/quote]

Hey, not all of us know the value of everything off the top of our head ;) I have to admit, I was a smidge disappointed with some of what I grabbed, but, again, on the whole, I can't complain.

Some of this was "hey, this looks interesting for $4, I'll pick it up". Only after the fact did I find out that they don't have the liberal return policy of an EB/GS. And once there's already a sunk cost, if it doesn't trade for much, it's worth either putting on the shelf or up for trade (or propping up a wobbly table leg)

SI

Anyway to tell online if a Hollywood video has a Game Crazy? Also, maybe I will get lucky and people will think the Hollywood video in Hollywood Florida is some cheap local store :D

[quote name='Drkirby']Anyway to tell online if a Hollywood video has a Game Crazy? Also, maybe I will get lucky and people will think the Hollywood video in Hollywood Florida is some cheap local store :D[/quote]

Check the GameCrazy website. All 3 (HV/MG/GC) have identical store locators- just put in an address and see what comes up. Or, again, you can always call- it's not like asking if they are attached to a Gamecrazy would tip them off to anything :)

SI

[quote name='Drkirby']Anyway to tell online if a Hollywood video has a Game Crazy? Also, maybe I will get lucky and people will think the Hollywood video in Hollywood Florida is some cheap local store :D[/quote]

I'd compare the Google map results for "hollywood video" and "Gamecrazy".

[quote name='david12795']This makes me wonder, should I go back to my HV and see if they have more games to sell? I was there on thursday[/quote]
I was at one hollywood last wednesday, the same store again and 2 others on Thurs, Friday, and Saturday!
Definitely worth the trips as I've found they have been restocking.
Need to find a 'new' gamestop to trade into, definitely getting noticed.
I've probably spent over $400 so far at HWV. Have two piles that need to get to GS in the next day or two. My total is a little high because I got in on the one day only mispriced 360 games.
I have a Wii and Wii fit arleady to use to get the cash back and will proably be sitting on a pile of credit and a bunch of games to keep. I really hate to buy at GS to cash out, rather wait to flip to BB but need to have cash in hand for when the bills come in.
All the reports of restocking sounds like I got a road trip to make tomorrow.

[quote name='david12795']This makes me wonder, should I go back to my HV and see if they have more games to sell? I was there on thursday[/quote]

I would. I went there late Thursday and cleaned out one then that I went back to today. They had probably 15 copies of Lego Batman, some more Mercs 2 just sitting out in the open. I couldn't stick around to go through all the games again, so I just grabbed what I saw and took off.

[quote name='io']Heh - you must have gotten the other half of my purchase the other day (got two games and no bonus discs).[/QUOTE]
That's hillarious and sad. This happened with me with Tales of Symphonia (My copy had only disc 2; the other copy they had for sale turned out to be disc 1) and Twin Snakes, which disc 2 was missing completely. I'm probably just going to do a very carefully worded auction for disc 1, but definitely check your multiple disc games before you leave. They seem to be pretty sloppy with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back