Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='david12795']So far this is what i bought from hollywood video

df8rkl.jpg
[/quote]
Those look very VERY familiar... You went to the Hollywood Video in Wellington, didn't you. I want my Mario Strikers :bomb: (I knew I should of gotten it when I saw it. Oh well, TO HOLLYWOOD, FL!)

And where did you find the other 3 Zelda TPs? I thought I snagged all the copies (Which was 2). Bet they were on those End Stands I didn't notice till today :(

ok.... this is probably the greatest thing ever...thank you so much to whomever posted this.

I spent a total of $70... and traded it in for a little under $300 at gamestop today.
mostly all from tons of mercs and 09's....

I think what happened was that the employee thought that the 3.99 applied to ALL used ps2 and xbox games.... thus why my monsterous pile of games was only $70.
I guess it all depends on who's working there... I guess I got lucky

[quote name='nillarilla']ok.... this is probably the greatest thing ever...thank you so much to whomever posted this.

I spent a total of $70... and traded it in for a little under $300 at gamestop today.
mostly all from tons of mercs and 09's....

I think what happened was that the employee thought that the 3.99 applied to ALL used ps2 and xbox games.... thus why my monsterous pile of games was only $70.
I guess it all depends on who's working there... I guess I got lucky[/quote]

That's EXACTLY what the promo is...

Did not find one game worth buying at the one I went to day. Must have been cleaned out by another CAG or two.

[quote name='samunoskex']That's EXACTLY what the promo is...[/quote]

Yeah the second one I went to had tons of good stuff but the guy insisted that it was only for those under 12.99 (the movie thing)....oh well...

[quote name='nillarilla']really? the second one I went to said it was only games 12.99 and under....I hope he was wrong[/quote]

It was explained earlier in this thread that some employees are not informed as to the terms of this deal. The deal is for ALL used PS2/XBOX/GCN games.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong...

[quote name='io']But now that it seems a lot of HWV stores have converted stuff over today (Sunday) I might make a quick run to my local store again and see what they have. Problem is, it will probably be more Lego Batman...[/QUOTE]

Made a quick run to the local store - as suspected, they had 4 copies of Lego Batman out that weren't there yesterday. But much to my surprise, they also has 3 copies of Mercs 2. I had bought a copy of that there when this all started last week so I didn't expect to see more. I bought 2 Mercs 2 and 1 more Lego Batman. Man, if only I had waited on trading my haul from the last few days I could have matched these up with 3 other games and spread them around. Oh well...

Oh, and for what it's worth, I was able to return that Xbox DDR game (that was only going to get $1.50 at GS). I just told them I bought the wrong game (which is true). They gave me $4.99 in credit for it. Yeah, I know, WTF? The clerk even said that it was odd (as I showed her the receipt showing the $3.99 purchase), but that's the way it worked. I didn't complain ;).

[quote name='Drkirby']Anyone think I should take the chance and goto the next closest Movie Gallery/ Hollywood Video which is 70 miles away from me?[/QUOTE]

Being 70 miles away I would definitely call and ask specifically about the $3.99 game promo and if there are any restrictions. It would be horrible to drive up there only to find out they never heard of it or are making up exclusions for it. One store around here is stubbornly sticking to the rent 2 items and $12.99 limit on games. This happens to be the store sitting on 2 copies of MvsC 2 :bomb:.

[quote name='nillarilla']I think what happened was that the employee thought that the 3.99 applied to ALL used ps2 and xbox games.... thus why my monsterous pile of games was only $70.
I guess it all depends on who's working there... I guess I got lucky[/QUOTE]

Well, it is supposed to be that way but it is highly variable. Like I said above, lots of stores have added restrictions to it either out of ignorance (assuming it is it the same as the movie deal) or via the manager's discretion to temper the deal somewhat (after all, it is kind of too good to be true).

Had a real busy family weekend... and didn't get around to utilizing this fantastic deal.

I'm going to try to do this tomorrow. Would anyone happen to know the "code" for this promotion? I looked in the past 15 pages... and found nothing. I thought it was posted somewhere in there, but couldn't see it. Anyone mind "sharing" in case I bump into any resistance?

Thanks. I'll post the stores tomorrow so that other CAGers can hit those.

[quote name='Drkirby']Those look very VERY familiar... You went to the Hollywood Video in Wellington, didn't you. I want my Mario Strikers :bomb: (I knew I should of gotten it when I saw it. Oh well, TO HOLLYWOOD, FL!)

And where did you find the other 3 Zelda TPs? I thought I snagged all the copies (Which was 2). Bet they were on those End Stands I didn't notice till today :([/quote]

Heheh, my bad :roll:
When was the last time you were there? Cause i got it late thursday night

[quote name='stone1061']I was at one hollywood last wednesday, the same store again and 2 others on Thurs, Friday, and Saturday!
Definitely worth the trips as I've found they have been restocking.
Need to find a 'new' gamestop to trade into, definitely getting noticed.
I've probably spent over $400 so far at HWV. Have two piles that need to get to GS in the next day or two. My total is a little high because I got in on the one day only mispriced 360 games.
I have a Wii and Wii fit arleady to use to get the cash back and will proably be sitting on a pile of credit and a bunch of games to keep. I really hate to buy at GS to cash out, rather wait to flip to BB but need to have cash in hand for when the bills come in.
All the reports of restocking sounds like I got a road trip to make tomorrow.[/quote]

Yeah i guess its worth the trip considering it's not too far away and hopefully they have somemmore games :D

hey guys. visited my local HV and these were my finds:

:ps2:Naruto ultimate ninja 3 (heavy scratches)
:ps2:Ratchet and clank: size matters
:ps2:kung fu panda x2
:ps2:Star wars battle front 2 (thought it was the xbox version)
:ps2:Lego indiana jones x3
:ps2:Mercenaries 2 x2
:ps2:Choro Q (Not rare but PC'ed cause its an atlus game. Complete)
:ps2:Incredible Hulk x4
:ps2:Mercenaries (PC. game only)
:ps2:Madden 09 x2
:ps2:Disgaea 2 :D (PC and has manual. light scratches)
:ps2:Guitar hero 1, 2, Aerosmith and Encore rocks the 80's. all complete.
:xbox:Star wars battlefront 2 x5 (kept 1 for PC. complete)
:gc:Legend of zelda twilight princess x2.

all for about $120. Took most of it to GS with some other stuff i had laying around and got $193 in credit for it. Bought a Complete LOZ Collectors Edition for $23.xx after Coupon and edge.
Madden, Mercs, Lego Indi, Zelda and the Guitar hero games are getting Fleebayed so i can recoup the cash i spent. if i can get $120 after ebay and paypal fees for that stuff i'll be happy. i'll post the TIV's in the 10/20/30 thread.
Going to another HV some time this week to clean them out as well. Happy hunting CAG'ers!!

[quote name='david12795']Heheh, my bad :roll:
When was the last time you were there? Cause i got it late thursday night[/quote]
I was there On Tusday, Wensday, Friday, and Sunday. A ton of stuff went away between Wensday and though Friday, not just gamecube ether. Tons of PS2 games were gone. I am ether going to go again tommrow or Thusday to see if I can pick any more stuff up. Some of my friends want some Lego Batmans.

Right about now EST people should be walking in to their local Hollywood Video to see if there's new titles instock. So is there?

[quote name='animemaniac14']daylight savings time man..it's only 9 AM here. HVs/MGs don't open til 10 ;)[/QUOTE]

What on earth does daylight savings time have to do with anything?

[quote name='munch']What on earth does daylight savings time have to do with anything?[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke? Did he not mention in the post you quoted that due to daylight savings our clocks were rolled back and therefore its just now turning to 10am, in which the HV are just now opening...

I suppose your being sarcastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Snake2715']Is this a joke? Did he not mention int he post you quoted that due to daylight savings our clocks were rolled back and therefore its just now turning to 10am, in which the HV are just now opening...

I suppose your being sarcastic.[/quote]

altho some people really are ignorant of DLST..o_O

They definitely converted more games yesterday.

Last night I was able to pick up -

PS2 Lego Batman (x8)
PS2 Mercenaries 2 (x2)
Xbox GTA San Andreas PH (x3)

These were all from stores I had already been to a couple of times. I even had one clerk tell me that they had just put out the Lego Batman, and that he thought it was a pretty good deal for $3.99 (uh, duh!).

In other Hollywood Video news, they are supposedly having a huge DVD & video game blowout sale in Portland, OR at the Portland Expo Center (November 14th - 16th). I just heard the ad on the radio this morning. I think it said video games starting as low as $5.00, but it did mention 360, PS3, & Wii. So, there may be some deals to be had for Portland area residents. The only downside is that the Expo is probably going to charge you $7 or more to park, and I'm not sure if there is also an admission charge. I will try to find more details.

Something must definitely be up with HWV, if they are selling this stuff in stores for $3.99 and now renting the Portland Expo Center to dump a bunch of merchandise.

Edit : The details are below -

Hollywood Entertainment Fall Clearance Sale

Hall A
11/14 10am - 8pm
11/15 10am - 8pm
11/16 10am - 6pm

Admission is FREE, but parking is $7.00. Carpool rate is $6.00 (3 or more people in a car). Or you could always take the MAX (I wouldn't, that would be asking to get robbed if you were carrying a bag full of games on the MAX).

[quote name='twinton']In other Hollywood Video news, they are supposedly having a huge DVD & video game blowout sale in Portland, OR at the Portland Expo Center (November 14th - 16th). I just heard the ad on the radio this morning. I think it said video games starting as low as $5.00, but it did mention 360, PS3, & Wii. So, there may be some deals to be had for Portland area residents. The only downside is that the Expo is probably going to charge you $7 or more to park, and I'm not sure if there is also an admission charge. I will try to find more details.

Something must definitely be up with HWV, if they are selling this stuff in stores for $3.99 and now renting the Portland Expo Center to dump a bunch of merchandise.[/quote]
They could be hurting for some cast as a whole, and making last gen games $4 each could easily pour $50k-$100k withen a week into the company. Or it could just be that they don't like having all this shelf space taken up and want to extend there Blu-Ray section.

Oh, what would be great is if they do an even deaper discont next. If they lower it to $2 I may buy whole store's stock.

I am sure its to free up some extra money and room. Look at CC not able to meet its obligations is going to close them down quick. HWV has been struggling for a while and I hope this gets them back where they need. I love them as a rental place.

[quote name='Drkirby']They could be hurting for some cast as a whole, and making last gen games $4 each could easily pour $50k-$100k withen a week into the company. Or it could just be that they don't like having all this shelf space taken up and want to extend there Blu-Ray section.

Oh, what would be great is if they do an even deaper discont next. If they lower it to $2 I may buy whole store's stock.[/quote]

I bet it has generated even more cash than that for them. I've spent close to $500 at HWV this week.

[quote name='twinton']I bet it has generated even more cash than that for them. I've spent close to $500 at HWV this week.[/quote]
Very true. I have spent close $200 my self. COME ON AMAZON, GIVE ME MY MONIES, I WANT MORE STUFF! :bomb:

Ok so for the stores that aren't working, has anyone tried giving them the code to try in their computer? Has anyone called corporate to complain that some stores work and others don't? What sucks is that the sale isn't on their website but yet, they have the barcodes for them.... and they still won't budge.

Just came back from another visit. I asked if they were putting anymore out and the lady had Lego Batman, Mercenaries 2, and FIFA 09 behind the counter! A bunch of them, too.

I just got back & they had the same old games as before, but I asked the girl working there if they would be putting any more games out & she showed me the list of the next ones they were putting out. Just by glancing at it it looked really good, most should be at least 3:1 flips or better. I should have a nice haul if I go before closing or tomorrow morning unless some hits it first. They don't have any displays out for the sale so I should be good unless there are more CAGs around here.

so it looks like they move the games down on sudays (or around that)...

just wondering... are any recently released games (other than all the 09's,GH's,mercs,batmans) possibly going to go used for the ps2 in the coming weeks? (before this ends)

I went in on sunday morning just as they were pricing out all of their Lego Batmans and Mercenaries 2's.

I bought 4 of each. ;)

Along with other flips I would say yesterday I built nearly $400 credit from $65 spent at HWV.

Well I just went to my store and there were no signs of Lego Batman or Mercs 2 anywhere to be found. It was the same stock as last week. Hopefully they drop so I can get some trade in credit at GS.

Even better was I used to know the guy working so he let me take a bunch of their old blank cases without stickers and use them instead of the cemented on hollywood stickered cases.. I HATE peeling those off..

[quote name='plastik3000']Just came back from another visit. I asked if they were putting anymore out and the lady had Lego Batman, Mercenaries 2, and FIFA 09 behind the counter! A bunch of them, too.[/quote]

I have just picked up two Mercenaries2, two Lego Batman, one Hot Wheels and one FIFA Soccer 09 this morning. They had a couple more Mercenaries2 and Lego Batman, but I felt a bit quilty to totally clean them out. However, I will return to that store this evening and if they still have them, I will surely pick them up.

Asked at two and they both told me no new stock. The second one said well with prices at $4 we are not going to pull any of our sunday pull games and put them up for sale....

So its Sundays according to him, but ymmv most likely.

[quote name='Lethal04']I just got back & they had the same old games as before, but I asked the girl working there if they would be putting any more games out & she showed me the list of the next ones they were putting out. Just by glancing at it it looked really good, most should be at least 3:1 flips or better.[/quote]

Do you want to share the names of the games on that list, especially other than FIFA 09, Mercenaries2, and Lego Batman?

[quote name='jooanyenna']Do you want to share the names of the games on that list, especially other than FIFA 09, Mercenaries2, and Lego Batman?[/quote]

The print off was actually pretty hard to read so I just glanced at it and saw some 09 sports titles, Mercenaries 2, Lego Batman. There was probably about 30 different games total. I just wanted to see if any of the new stock would be newer games since they had all really old games. since I saw some 09s on there & mercenaries 2 from glancing at it i didnt closely examine each title since those will easily make it worth the trip.

Did anyone trade in Fifa 09 or Mercenaries 2 for ps2 today? I just looked at the GS TIV page on their website and it says Fifa is down to $9 & Mercenaries 2 is down to $8. WTF, did they catch on or something or maybe its a typo? Weren't both of these around $19 base each earlier?

[quote name='Lethal04']Did anyone trade in Fifa 09 or Mercenaries 2 for ps2 today? I just looked at the GS TIV page on their website and it says Fifa is down to $9 & Mercenaries 2 is down to $8. WTF, did they catch on or something or maybe its a typo? Weren't both of these around $19 base each earlier?[/quote]

You can't convince me that this is just a coincidence.

[quote name='Drkirby']I was there On Tusday, Wensday, Friday, and Sunday. A ton of stuff went away between Wensday and though Friday, not just gamecube ether. Tons of PS2 games were gone. I am ether going to go again tommrow or Thusday to see if I can pick any more stuff up. Some of my friends want some Lego Batmans.[/quote]

Really was there any decent gamecube games? like pikmin and kirby? i been meaning to play those. and what gc games did you happen to pick up?

[quote name='Lethal04']Did anyone trade in Fifa 09 or Mercenaries 2 for ps2 today? I just looked at the GS TIV page on their website and it says Fifa is down to $9 & Mercenaries 2 is down to $8. WTF, did they catch on or something or maybe its a typo? Weren't both of these around $19 base each earlier?[/quote]

I've traded in 5 copies of Mercs 2 ps2 today (YAY for converting rentals to buy on sundays) and can say they fetched 18.75 and 26.25 after bonuses.

I don't think its they 'caught on', more like because they have just gotten a huge amount of both titles in a short amount of time, and very little sold of ether, they changed the price, most likely ether hoping to cut loses or discourage such bulks.

I can confirm that some stores are still selling (or just started) 360 & Wii stuff with the crazy prices and then 25% off on top of that. I didn't see any PS3 stuff with crazy prices...yet.

Here's what I found just this morning, I know it was higher yesterday, because it's a store I've been to 3 or 4 times now since the sale started .

Xbox 360 -

Half Life 2 Orange Box $9.50 ($7.13 after discount)
Soul Calibur IV $18.00 ($13.50 after discount)
Two Worlds $2.00 ($1.50 after discount) I got 2 of these!
Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit $8.50 ($6.38 after discount)

Wii -

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption $6.00 ($4.50 after discount)

This stuff scanned at these prices, then she used a bar code coupon to take the additional 25% off.

I also saw, but did not buy -

Xbox 360 -

Mercenaries 2 - $22.xx
Star Wars TFU - $25.xx

I know there were a few others too. It was weird, not everything had the crazy prices. These were just mixed in with their other used stuff that had normal used prices on them.

Since I haven't been able to find a copy around here of Mercs 2, I can't tell you what it's getting. Plus, I would've been trading it in while it was still $18.75 in TIV. But even at $8 a copy, it's a decent flip($11.20 after bonus + Edge).

But apparently, GS is catching on to those of us who flip games and adjusting their TIV's accordingly.

[quote name='bgame2']You can't convince me that this is just a coincidence.[/quote]

I think it has more to do with the amount of Mercs 2 that they have received recently. We saw this with Table Tennis Wii and Manhunt 2 Wii (just to name a couple) recently. I'm surprised GTA:SA Xbox hasn't dropped yet. GS is more on the ball with adjusting TIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back