Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Greedy?

Some of us are in college full time and have nonpaying internships, so when there is a chance to do some flipping we either take advantage or miss out on games.[/quote]

yea seriously...

now if someone goes to a retail store and just hordes all the good clearance items for ebay, THAT'S greed.

Also, I made ~$60 by flipping some games to gamestop (in store credit).

If that makes you feel any better yanksfan...

Wow, if this is true, this could be awesome!

[quote name='twinton']Supposedly Hollywood will be blowing out a bunch of DVDs & games the weekend of 11/14-11/16 at the Portland Expo Center.

The sale will be located in Hall A.

Hours are -

11/14 10a-8pm
11/15 10a-8pm
11/16 10a-6pm

Admission is free, parking is $7.00. Carpool parking is $6.00 (more than 3 people in a car), or you could take the MAX.[/QUOTE]

There is 1 way I've found to move credit from GS to HWV...I"m looking for more.
Buy 360 and PS3 copies of Facebreaker with cellfire and edge coupons, they are 18.80. They both trade for 25 at HWV. It's not great, but at least you are making a little something as you move credit back

[quote name='Capa']There is 1 way I've found to move credit from GS to HWV...I"m looking for more.
Buy 360 and PS3 copies of Facebreaker with cellfire and edge coupons, they are 18.80. They both trade for 25 at HWV. It's not great, but at least you are making a little something as you move credit back[/quote]

thanks for the tip man :whistle2:D

Actually, that lowers your cost per game to 3 bucks instead of 4.

also, Mercs2, Dark Alliance 2,Mx vs ATV, Family Guy all held

Cars Mater National is 3.75 to 5.25. Not great, but a good filler if you buy in multiples of 5

edit--how fucking dumb are we collectively. CELLFIRE has a Hollywood coupon code as well. 1 free used DVD. Every time we are buying games, we could be picking up a free movie too

In my defense, I picked up a bunch of games during this sale, multiples included. I'm also sending io a copy of Civ Revolution that he'd been hunting down and gave the address of the mistag store to edavis so he could pick up a cheap copy of Resistance and a few others.

[quote name='JJSP']In my defense, I picked up a bunch of games during this sale, multiples included. I'm also sending io a copy of Civ Revolution that he'd been hunting down and gave the address of the mistag store to edavis so he could pick up a cheap copy of Resistance and a few others.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, where is that you bastard? I kid, I kid ;).

I did get you an awesome Gamestop gift card. One you will want to show to all your friends!

I found out from another CAG there is a mistag store around here but it is WAY too far out for me to swing by there with the hope that they will still have the mistag prices, still honor them if they ring up different, and still have anything decent in stock. So I still really appreciate it JJSP despite my smart-assed-ness...

[quote name='Capa']anyone have moviegallery and hwv in the same town? are MG typically smaller?[/QUOTE]

I'm taking an educated guess that the selection of pre-played games for sale at Movie Galleries are lesser then Hollywood Videos. I went out to 4 Movie Galleries last Tuesday afternoon and only ended up buying 4 games (Mario Tennis & Kirby Air Ride at one store and Mario Party 4 & .hack//Outbreak at another with 2 stores with nothing worth getting) All 4 Movie Galleries I stopped at had 1 section of shelving dedicated to used games for sale. I asked about GameCube games that might go on sale and if they knew about getting rid of all of their GameCube games at some point in the near future and was basically told at 2 stores that they don't usually sell games as if not every single game for rent gets converted for sale B&M and they mentioned sending them out to a wherehouse/distrabution place. It should be noted that I didn't see any of the newer PS2 games for sale around here that some CAGs seem to be finding in droves. I'm thinking that most of these CAGs finding tons of this stuff are finding it mostly at HWV & live in bigger areas :D

I don't think I missed a ton of good stuff either from somebody buying them out as the last time I stopped in at a Movie Gallery around here (2-3 years ago) the selection of used games sucked then also lol

[quote name='MasterSun1']Wow, if this is true, this could be awesome![/quote]

The sale at the Portland Expo is true. I wouldn't have posted it, if it weren't. They are advertising the hell out of it on the radio now, so expect lots of competition if you go. Although some people will probably be there for just DVD's. If nothing else, it will interesting to see if they are offering deals as good as they have been in-store. Hopefully, it's not just the store leftovers from these sales....but it very well could be.

Anyway, my wife & I are taking the morning off work to get there early. Just in case it's a great sale. It'll be worth the $7 parking fee just to check it out.

[quote name='io']Yeah, where is that you bastard? I kid, I kid ;).

I did get you an awesome Gamestop gift card. One you will want to show to all your friends!

I found out from another CAG there is a mistag store around here but it is WAY too far out for me to swing by there with the hope that they will still have the mistag prices, still honor them if they ring up different, and still have anything decent in stock. So I still really appreciate it JJSP despite my smart-assed-ness...[/quote]
In the mail as of this morning. Stupid mail holiday. ;)

[quote name='Capa']

edit--how fucking dumb are we collectively. CELLFIRE has a Hollywood coupon code as well. 1 free used DVD. Every time we are buying games, we could be picking up a free movie too[/QUOTE]

Wait, WHAA?? I used the cellfire app the other day to do a rent 1 get 1 free at Hollywood. I didn't see no free DVD coupon. Damn, I could have cleaned up with that after all the visits I've made :lol:. Oh well, I'll try it out tonight...

It's not Buy 1 Get 1 free - just straight up free? Any limits (on price or such)?

I'd also like to remind everyone that I was told of a November 24th sale at HV. It's basically the same $3.99 sale now but if they're doing it Black Friday week, I would expect there to be more good games than there are now.

All the stores by me are mostly picked over (by me) but never had anything in multiple quantities. Forgot about trading to cash. The 40% extra is always tempting. I guess I'll hit 2 GS tonight to recoup my HV purchases. Bring my spendings from $250 to $150 and still have a $500 credit. :)

Here's what I got today and what they traded in for @ Gamestop:

WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008(PS2)-$7.75($10.85) This game got hit with a three fuckin' dollar refurb fee because it was scratched to shit.
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind(Xbox)-$1.50(non GOTY edition)($2.10) This one got hit with a fuckin' .75 refurb fee(50% of pre bonus value), even though it was very lightly scratched.
Destroy All Humans 2(PS2)-$6.00($8.40) This was the last game hit with a fee, of $2 fuckin' dollars.
Cabela's Big Game Hunter(PS2)-$7.75($10.85)
Cabela's Trophy Bucks(PS2)-$6.75($9.45)
Dance Dance Revolution: Ultramix 4(Xbox)-$1.50($2.10)
Tomb Raider Anniversary(PS2)-$4.75($6.65)
GTA San Andreas(Xbox)-$11.75($16.45)This game was in such mint condition, I almost didn't wanna trade it. It looked like it was JUST opened before I bought it.
Mercenaries 2(PS2)-$8.00($11.20)

I actually have a second copy of Mercs 2, which I may keep or I may trade in to Blockbuster since I'm done with the GS deal I think. That is, unless I hit up a further away HWV and they have a ton of high value stuff. For the record, Mercs 2 gets $12 in TIV @ Blockbuster.

false alarm. I picked up a flyer in HWV today that said Facebreaker was $25 TIV, but I just got quoted 12 for it at MG...I'm assuming they should have the same values, but I dunno how one store can have a flyer that says 25 and then you get 12. Anyway, I drove to a small town with a MG, and they havent done the big conversion yet. Tons of Batman, Merc 2, etc. for rent but not for sale yet. I did manage to get 1 lego batman, 1 merc 2, 1 star ocean, 1 Shenmue 2 with DVD, 1 Shadow of Collosus, 1 Animal Crossing.

[quote name='Capa']I took a complete flyer on Shunmue II, is it rare by chance?[/quote]

Not really, but certainly uncommon in this case, and certainly a good deal.

[quote name='david12795']Just curious I seen everyone picked up common gc games like mario, zelda, metroid, etc.
did anyone ever found MGS: TS?[/quote]

I picked up a MGS: TS today. It did have the original insert, but no manual, and the discs were pretty scratched. Got $15.05 after bonus at GS, which I know sucks...but this copy was in pretty bad shape.

I got screwed over by this having to rent movies to get the games for 3.99 and I've even tried to call the dm, but all I get is a voice mail and still haven't received a call back. It's pretty annoying, and I really wouldn't have rented the movies but from this store I was able to pick up 5 lego batmans ps2 and 3 mercenaries 2 before the gs tiv drop, gta san andreas xbox, and marvel vs. capcom 2 xbox, which I flipped all to gs, so it was worth it but still bs. I spoke with both managers at the store and they were both B*tches. They have plenty more flippables like 7 more copies of gta san andreas for xbox, but its not worth dealing with their crap.
[quote name='io']Well, I've still got one store sticking hard and fast to these restrictions. When I first went in they said there was no such deal whatsoever and could not find the bar code anywhere. Then, after clarification from their manager they confirmed it as rent 2/$12.99 limit... According to them every store runs different promos and thus what all the other stores are doing doesn't apply. I haven't escalated it to the DM because I just don't have time for that, but it is highly annoying.

Anyway, I'm hitting up a rural HWV tonight, hopefully. We'll see what they have (and what creative terms they come up with for the deal :roll:.[/quote]

Man you guys are finding some awesome stuff. This is all I've got so far (disc only unless noted):

Champions: Return to Arms
Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
Wall-E (PS2) (Looked brand freaking new - Complete)
Spongebob Creature from the Krusty Krab (Gamecube, for my oldest Daughter)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (2 disc; looks good, but some play scuffs)

Not much in my area, but I'm going to try heading out to the only HWV location in my area Friday. Might hit anohter MG that I know of along the way. Champions went to Goozex, FFVII-DOC is a gift for a bud who has wanted it, just not picked it up. Wall-E is getting Traded in. MGS3:S I don't know... part of me wants to keep it for the older games on Disc 2, but I think someone would like it better than me... might trade at GS or Goozex.

GC Animal Crossing -$6 base to 8.40
PS2 Star Ocean- 3.00 base to 4.20
Shadow of the Collosus- 6.75 to 9.45

[quote name='twinton']I picked up a MGS: TS today. It did have the original insert, but no manual, and the discs were pretty scratched. Got $15.05 after bonus at GS, which I know sucks...but this copy was in pretty bad shape.[/quote]

Not bad, i would kept it myself.

Speaking of which, im thinking i should buy gc game cases since all the gc games i bought at hv are incomplete.
Anybody know a good site to buy them?

[quote name='david12795']Not bad, i would kept it myself.

Speaking of which, im thinking i should buy gc game cases since all the gc games i bought at hv are incomplete.
Anybody know a good site to buy them?[/quote]

I recently bought a whole bunch of inserts/boxes/manuals from here They shipped them pretty quickly, and the prices aren't horrible I guess It's roughly $4 for case with art and instructions, or you can buy the artwork for 1.79, instructions for 2.79. The shipping can kind of suck, which is why I waited until I had a few games that needed instructions/artwork.

[quote name='Nirron']I recently bought a whole bunch of inserts/boxes/manuals from here They shipped them pretty quickly, and the prices aren't horrible I guess It's roughly $4 for case with art and instructions, or you can buy the artwork for 1.79, instructions for 2.79. The shipping can kind of suck, which is why I waited until I had a few games that needed instructions/artwork.[/quote]

I have a whole bunch of gamecube games that need to be complete so I guess i don't have to wait.

I wish they would make combine shipping cheaper

thanks for that site though. I think i will buy it there. They also have an ebay account and i could use the 25 percent cashback

Seems the 5-6 hollywood videos in Cincinnati claim that only "test stores" are doing this sale... bleh :) Seems some other CAGs have visited the stores in the area as two of the stores I checked on said someone came into the store last weekend and threw a fit when they wouldn't sell used games at $3.99.

Did the games you bought from HWV/MG come with used sales price stickers on them? If so, did you take off the stickers before trading in to GS or just leave them on? Does it matter? I'm having a hard time getting the stickers off, even with Goo Gone.

Thanks

EDIT-- I used a Magic Eraser on it. Worked very well! Finished it up with Goo Gone.

[quote name='Gooter']Did the games you bought from HWV/MG come with used sales price stickers on them? If so, did you take off the stickers before trading in to GS or just leave them on? Does it matter? I'm having a hard time getting the stickers off, even with Goo Gone.

Thanks[/quote]

use a hair dryer, or take them in disc only...Yes it matters.

[quote name='Gooter']Did the games you bought from HWV/MG come with used sales price stickers on them? If so, did you take off the stickers before trading in to GS or just leave them on? Does it matter? I'm having a hard time getting the stickers off, even with Goo Gone.

Thanks[/quote]

i took the games to GS as is with stickers and all. no problem with them.

Not a very nice haul today compare to last week:

2 x FIFA Soccer 09
NBA 2K9
Cabela's Big Game Hunter
Cabela's Trophy Bucks
Mercenaries
LEGO Batman

Amount Spent: $27.93 + taxes

Traded them in @ GS after Edge + 30%

FIFA Soccer 09 $12.60 x 2
NBA 2K9 $17.50
Cabela's Big Game Hunter $10.85
Cabela's Trophy Bucks $9.45
Mercenaries $12.60
LEGO Batman $18.20

Total TIV: $93.80

For the MN folks who were also looking for some of these games, try New Brighton HWV. They had several copies of Lego Batman and Mercs 2. I only bought one of each tonight so there should still be some there.

I got lucky though, they accidentally put the 360 version in the PS2 box of Lego Batman!

I went back to HV and found out they restocked.

I got more copies of Mercs 2, Lego Batman, 2 SW:FU, Naruto Ulitmate Ninja 3, Cabela Bucks, Fifa 09 to name a few.

I'm trying to build up more credit so I can get a Ion Drum Kit for my PS3. :lol:

--Michael

Yeah, at first I tried peeling the stickers. Then I said, "fuck it, these cases look like shit anyway." Not sure if the clerks in Donut's Gamestops are jerks or what, but I haven't ran into any issue with price stickers being left on.

[quote name='whiptcracker']For the MN folks who were also looking for some of these games, try New Brighton HWV. They had several copies of Lego Batman and Mercs 2. I only bought one of each tonight so there should still be some there.

I got lucky though, they accidentally put the 360 version in the PS2 box of Lego Batman![/quote]

Sadly, I don't even know where that is... :p Plus I'm on a bus pass so I'm pretty much confined to the twin cities and first ring suburbs (if I want to really spend hours at it...)

Thanks for the heads up though and nice grab!

So I thought the out-of-the-way rural Hollywood Video I went to tonight might be a goldmine. Turns out it was the worst yet in terms of selection. However, it is pretty much the only one I've been to where the sale was clearly advertized and the clerk rang the games up at $3.99 without me having to ask for them to do so and then have them spend 10 minutes trying to find the bar code. So I'm guessing they've been thoroughly picked over. All I managed to scrounge up out of there was a Family Guy and GTA:SA GH version for PS2. Both have original art work though for very easy trade-in at GS. I passed on some Smackdown vs Raw 08's. I get enough looks for the games I bring in, I try to avoid the Cabela and wresting titles ;).

However, the trip out tonight was very successful overall - even more so for having brought one of the boys with me. After I traded a couple of games into one GS and picked up my Banjo Kazooie preorder (and they had the DLC codes there, finally, much to my relief as just yesterday they knew nothing about them), I had to wait while my son played Mario Super Sluggers (he always has to do when we go to GS even though we have the game at home). While waiting a Japanese girl brought in a huge stack of games for trading, along with a Gamecube. She had a bunch of PS1 games including FF VII that they wouldn't take. She also traded Pikmin 2. But the highlight was a stunningly mint Electroplankton, complete with unused registration code to My Nintendo. I think with the bonus she got $24.50 or so (each) for Electroplankton and Pikmin 2. As soon as she left I asked to buy the Electroplankton as I always regretted passing on that when it was available online from Nintendo. At the time, though, I didn't want to shell out $35 or so in real cash money to get it. Well, take a guess at what GS sells it for?
An astounding $59.99!
. Still, I bought it. After Cellfire + Edge it came down to
$41.99
which isn't too far off the original price + shipping from Nintendo. However, I got to buy it with credit this time of course ;). And considering at the next GS I got $84 for just 6 HWV games I think I can take the hit.

I haven't looked recently to see what it fetches on eBay but it is for me to keep in any case. It is now one of the better prizes in my collection, plus, being opened already I can try it out as well. Though I'm sure I could get a ton for it if I managed to snap a pic of the girl as she was trading it in - you know how some people have a fetish for used items from young Japanese girls ;). (She wasn't super-young - in her 20's probably).

Then at another GS I picked up my Tales of Symphonia preorder and snagged a mint Eye of Judgement with Eye and game (and mat, but, curiously, no cards) for just $17.49 after Cellfire + Edge. I need two Eyes so I can do video chat with my dad who told me he just got a PS3 (I need to get a PS3 myself now too - guess I'll be using GS credit for that ;)).

So, all in all, though I only bought 2 so-so games from HWV, in some sense it was one of the better runs I've made.

[quote name='Capa']Actually, that lowers your cost per game to 3 bucks instead of 4.

also, Mercs2, Dark Alliance 2,Mx vs ATV, Family Guy all held

Cars Mater National is 3.75 to 5.25. Not great, but a good filler if you buy in multiples of 5

edit--how fucking dumb are we collectively. CELLFIRE has a Hollywood coupon code as well. 1 free used DVD. Every time we are buying games, we could be picking up a free movie too[/QUOTE]

i hate to burst anyones bubble but its only if you purchase a used dvd.

1 FREE used DVD
Buy 1 pre-viewed DVD, get 1 pre-viewed DVD free.
Expires Nov 17, 2008

Only good game my area store had was Kingdom Hearts II. So I finally picked up a copy. I saw some rental copies of Mario Baseball, Lego Batman, Mercs 2, etc., but none for sale used. Was this store cleaned and they keep 1-2 copies for rental? I asked the manager (though the badge said Associate) and she said that they can't switch rentals to sales unless corporate gives them the order to do so.

Yeah one of the managers told me that the stores cannot make conversions without order, just like you heard

and yeah, from what I've seen, a store that has done the conversions should hold 1-2 each of those titles for rental.

The previous conversion left 10-12 copies in each store, then the current one left a couple. Again, this is just based off what I've seen and been told. I actually saw the conversion report, it lists all the games to be pulled, then it tells how many copies to put for sale. What I don't know is if corporate sends a report that says "you need to have x number of y title", and then the stores computer generates the pull report and tell the manager what to grab, or if corporate just sends a report that says,"go sell 2 copies of this and 4 copies of that"

I wonder if HWV handles it liek BB...at BB you could rent a game, then not return it, and be charged the purchase price. I wonder if HWV would charge you 3.99 right now if you did that

[quote name='Capa']I wonder if HWV would charge you 3.99 right now if you did that[/QUOTE]

Prolly the original actual price, considering the 3.99 price is a coupon and not the actual scanned price. Good thinking tho.

So, has everyone's store restocked as of late or what? My store was completely wiped out and I need to know that I'm not going to be making a useless trip today. :)

Mine restocked on Wii games a few days ago. Pretty worthless. They did get some 360 games and 2-3 PS3 games along with it, but nothing last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back