Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Futurama is a pretty hard to find game and it has some value behind it. I played the xbox version...it's okay if you are a fan of the show.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']
I grabbed SSBM and San Andreas to trade at GS, and Vice City Stories for my personal collection. The VCS is complete and in mint condition. The San Andreas disc is in the worst shape I've ever seen a game be in, so it will be getting returned.[/QUOTE]

Take it back and ask them to buff it. I bought some games last night and a couple were complete crap that I never would have bought for myself. But I figured it was worth a shot, and though the clerk gave me some grief over buffing multiple games, I got it done. They looked almost brand new afterwards. It works really well on PS2 and Xbox games (and much less so on Gamecube games).

[quote name='Rozz']Isn't Hollywood Video the store with the resurfacing machines? If that's true then I can't imagine why they wouldn't buff the crappy-looking discs prior to selling them.[/QUOTE]

The thing is somewhat of a hassle to use (takes about 5 minutes per game), so it's just easier for them to sell them all and deal with buffs if they need to afterwards (when the customer purchases or returns it because it doesn't play).

[quote name='bug_nuts']What is up wit futurama?? Does it have a good trade in value or is it just a good game ??

Cheers
Bugnuts[/QUOTE]

It is a bad game with a good trade-in value ;). $12.50 base for the PS2 version at GS. Sealed and complete used copies have always sold for a lot as well (upwards of $50 or more). I have a PS2 version I got from Gamerush a long time ago and have played it a bit. The cut scenes basically make up a "lost" Futurama episode (it is an original story with the original voice actors) , but the gameplay bits in between are atrocious. It is basically just a really bad platformer with a horrible camera and way too many insta-deaths to be any fun. But if you are a huge fan it might be worth slogging through it for the story bits. Though I haven't gotten more than a couple of levels through it over the 3+ years I've had it ;).

[quote name='io']
But if you are a huge fan it might be worth slogging through it for the story bits.[/quote]

No, it's really not.

The game plays like diseased cattle dung.

If you're really interested in the story, youtube them and save yourself the aggrevation of the 'gameplay'

Oh yeah, I always forget about Youtube :lol:

I should do that as I'd like to see how it ends...

Anyway, I forgot to mention one interesting thing about the HWV I went to last night. Well, first of all, they couldn't find 2 of the better games I wanted to buy which was aggravating: Mario Power Tennis and Xbox SW Battlefront II.

But apparently this store has a high amount of theft and as a result they do something a bit wacky. They have the games in the racks in those locking plastic cases. But they ALSO keep the discs in a drawer behind the counter. I have NEVER seen that at any used game store before :lol:. As a result, it took quite some time for them to find the 12 out of 14 games I purchased (unlocking all the finicky cases, and then finding the games that go to them in the drawers). I know those other two were in there somewhere but they had a messy out-of-order drawer they kept them in.

She did tell me that someone tried a grab-n-dash of a bunch of locked game cases just the other day. She thought it was funny that he ended up with a bunch of empty games. Though I don't quite understand the logic there - if they didn't lock them up then any would-be thief just wouldn't bother trying to steal their cases (as clearly they could tell the games aren't in them). She seemed to think it was better they "tricked" people that way. Whatever, but it makes legitimate purchases that much more of a pain.

[quote name='munch']Should I sell Pikmin 2 or trade it in? I have no desire to keep it. It's disc only in the HWV case.[/QUOTE]

Trade it, it gets a $15 base at gs or something like$22 after bonus. A disc only version won't net you much more than that and you'll have to deal with ebay & paypal fees and then shipping it, etc.

Hit up 3 HWV today to get caught up on the GC backlog after my wife picked up a Wii for us for Christmas. Picked up the following:
Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Golf
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Harvest Moon

Passed on a few games I hope to get in the future like Rogue Squadron titles and LOTR: Third Age. Decided not to bust the bank before doing our heavy Christmas shopping next week. Just want to thank everyone in the thread for the heads-up...I was anticipating spending far more for these games and headaches just trying to track them down after seeing EB/Gamestop's crappy stock.

[quote name='io']Oh yeah, I always forget about Youtube :lol:

I should do that as I'd like to see how it ends...

Anyway, I forgot to mention one interesting thing about the HWV I went to last night. Well, first of all, they couldn't find 2 of the better games I wanted to buy which was aggravating: Mario Power Tennis and Xbox SW Battlefront II.

But apparently this store has a high amount of theft and as a result they do something a bit wacky. They have the games in the racks in those locking plastic cases. But they ALSO keep the discs in a drawer behind the counter. I have NEVER seen that at any used game store before :lol:. As a result, it took quite some time for them to find the 12 out of 14 games I purchased (unlocking all the finicky cases, and then finding the games that go to them in the drawers). I know those other two were in there somewhere but they had a messy out-of-order drawer they kept them in.

She did tell me that someone tried a grab-n-dash of a bunch of locked game cases just the other day. She thought it was funny that he ended up with a bunch of empty games. Though I don't quite understand the logic there - if they didn't lock them up then any would-be thief just wouldn't bother trying to steal their cases (as clearly they could tell the games aren't in them). She seemed to think it was better they "tricked" people that way. Whatever, but it makes legitimate purchases that much more of a pain.[/quote]

The one Kmart around here had a unique way of dealing with theft, since I guess they had experienced many instances of people slitting the plastic to get the game out and leaving the cases behind.

They triple wrapped the games outer shrinkwrapping with heavy duty plastic packing tape. Basically, all they did was took the tape gun and ran it around the game 2-3 times in one direction, then 2-3 times in another direction.

I picked up Mario Power Tennis, Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, and Kirby's Air Ride at a previously cleaned out HWV today. :)

[quote name='J7.']My HWV is trying to charge $2 per buff even when you buy games that have cat scratch fever.[/quote]

Thats BS ! If you bought the games from them and you have your receipt, they are GUARANTEED and ANY HWV store will buff them for you if you have the proof of recent purchase ! :roll:

I have done this MANY times at different HWV.

[quote name='J7.']My HWV is trying to charge $2 per buff even when you buy games that have cat scratch fever.[/quote]

I would then offer them $2 to buff my balls.

hit up 3 hwv today and picked up:

:gc:
kirby air ride
legend of zelda 4 swords
mario golf
animal crossing
pokemon colosseum

:xbox:
star wars jedi knight academy
dynasty warriors 5

:ps2:
godzilla save the earth x2
futurama
fast and the furious
sonic riders
cabela's monster bass

i was really hoping to score the same things everyone else had from the recent rental conversions. i already picked these stores clean when the sale started so at least they added a little more stock. still didn't make out as well as i thought i would though. total 4 stores hit this week, spent $69, and will probably get $140 at gamestop. paid the $69 with gamecrazy credit i had, which i also already made back spending $40 at gamestop, so 4 hours of my time to net $100 gamestop credit.

You can buy a card that is 5 buffs for $5. I know they should do it if you buy it and blah, blah, blah but I'm just throwing this out there for people with scratched discs they didn't buy at HWV.

Today I picked up:

ps2:
AceCombat Zero:Belkan War
Spongebob: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Yakuza
Rogue Galaxy

Xbox:
Destroy all humans!
Sid Meiers Pirates

I stopped by today even though I thought they wouldn't have anything new... I was wrong. I picked up:

Mario Kart Double Dash
Spartan Total Warrior
Super Mario Strikers
Kirby's Air Ride
MLB 08 - The Show

The manager who was working said this sale will go until next weekend.

wow i hit it big today.....

a few copies of lego batman
nba2k9
mercenaries 2
mario tennis
fifa 09
futurama..
cant remember the rest.......

cheers
bug_nuts

yea store manager at one location said she can't wait till this sale clears out all the gc and xbox stock. hope im there when they start converting those.

Might want to check your Hollywood Video for new titles. My Hollywood Video had the same games on sale for the longest amount of time. Today I checked, and found a bunch of new titles.

Well, I seem to have the worst luck with Mario Power Tennis. Tonight I found some GC stuff that was new at this one store. A couple were OK but the Mario Power Tennis had, of all things, a Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes in it. I would have gladly taken that but it was just the first disc (and that is a 2-disc game, right?). Then, the Pokemon Colosseum I picked up had a Pokemon XD in it. That one I took anyway as it actually trades for more at GS. The good thing about that one, though, is that it had the manual and even the Nintendo registration code (for Pokemon Colosseum of course). I had picked up Colosseum the other day and thought I might keep it for the kids. Getting a mint manual helps with that (though I wish I had real cover art - if anyone gets one with the real cover art and is just flipping it I'd like to snag that cover please ;)).

They said these were transfered from another store, so they claimed no responsibility for the problem ;). Still, I got enough to make up another 5-game trade to GS. At GS it went pretty well except that one of the games was badly scratched and for the first time ever in my multiple years of trading to GS I got hit with a refurb ($3 in this case). But I was cool with it - in fact, I almost suggested it myself this game was so bad. The HWV disc buffer was broken or I would have had it taken care of right before heading over to GS - but considering that it only took my trade down to $8.20 it was still worth picking up over most of the other choices I had. But at least he was up front about it - he told me they'd have to "take it as defective" and then explained the refurb fee. That seems to be a much better way of handling it than most of the reports I see here. So, knowing he wasn't being underhanded about it made it much easier to accept. A lot of other GS clerks could learn a thing or two from this guy!

The thing is, while he initially set it aside from the other games, when I was all done he just put it in with the rest and over on the back counter with the eberyone else's trade-ins. So I'm somewhat doubtful they will actually do anything to the disc unless it is noted in the computer and when the labels are printed it tells them to return that one to HQ (which is where GS resurfaces games supposedly).

Hit up my home store, they just put out a buncha stuff that's now going to Gamestop.

GC
Legend of Zelda Four Swords
Mario Party 6
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Pikmin 2
Pokemon Colosseum
Super Mario Sunshine

PS2
Futurama
Lego Batman x2 (was there previously, but I was giving other people a chance at them. Eventually got 5 from this store)

Xbox
Guilty Gear X2 (keeper)
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II

Manager at 1 store was nice. I was browsing and he tells me they just got a shipment in. I looked through it, nothing good though. I go to another store and practially hit the motherload. They had tons of games that would have flipped awesome. Unfortunately they took the signs down. I asked about the sale and he said his manager ended the sale. WTF?

I hit up a Hollywood Video yesterday and hit the motherload. I was out of town and found a store that until very recently had a Game Crazy but converted the Game Crazy into "just a Hollywood Video with games" as the employee explained to me. So it was pretty much an entire Game Crazy store's stock and fixtures, but without the name.

I got 40 (!) games, including..........

Guitar Hero II (!)
Godzilla: Save the Earth
Suikoden 4

Mario Party 4
Mario Party 6
Pokemon Colosseum
Mario Tennis
Wind Waker
Pikmin 2 (!)

etc etc. The manager was very happy that I was scooping these up and I was even more happy to oblige.

I nearly scored Wild Arms 5, which would have been awesome, but they couldn't find the disc :(

I felt like I got a ton, but I wasn't even being greedy and limited myself to 1 of ea title. The store had hundreds on the shelves.

Just got back from HWV.Picked up Bully for the PS2 to play.They had FireEmblem(gc) good game to flip.Games they had Cabela's hunt games,Destroy All Humans 2,Start Wars Original Trilogy(gc),The Warriors,Shadow the Hedgehog,Yakuza,Bratz,and StarWars Clone Wars(gc),Return to Castle Wolfenstein(xbox),Avatar,Sonic Riders.Thats all I can remember.

both of the Movie Galleries near my house converted tons of rentals this week, somone beat me to the Pikmin 2's but I managed to get some good titles including Futurama, Dark Could 2, Guilty Gear 2x, ICO, ect... I had no idea how much Futurama was worth, I passed on several copies in the past, oh well. One of my Movie Galleries had jsut gotten in a resurfacer so the lady decided to resurface most of the games I got as practice, which took a good deal of my time(GRRR) then the other MG wouldnt resurface antything and most of them are crappy.

Picked up today:

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Pikmin
Star Fox Assault
Kirby Air Ride

Godzilla: Unleashed
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008
Cabela's Trophy Bucks
The Incredible Hulk
Transformers: The Game
Destroy All Humans! 2
Mercenaries
Okami

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Turned $95.xx VV into $215 GS credit.
Not bad at all.

I was out of my normal zone a bit and found a HWV I had never been to. I found two Pikmin 2's, with one of them even being complete. I snagged the complete one, but I left the other behind. So if there are any CAGs hanging out in Ankeny, IA, hit up your HWV soon.

So a semi-local CAG told me a store he went to the other day had a big shipment in from Movie Gallery with lots of GC goodness. I had only seen the small sets of rental conversions at the few stores I've checked out the last week. So today I went to my local HWV where I had gotten some of those conversions a few days ago (including Futurama, MKDD, etc) and lo and behold, they had several new games on the shelves with something I'd never seen before - "Movie Gallery" stickers under the new stickers HWV put on them! What's even better is that most of them had the original art work. And, they clearly had run them all through the buffer before putting them out for sale (I'm assuming this was probably done prior to shipment out to the various stores), saving me the trouble of asking for that at time of purchase. That was very nice.

Unfortunately due to road conditions (ice and snow) I couldn't quite make it to GS to trade them in.

But I got all of the following:

:gc: Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (original cover)
:gc: Prince of Persia Sands of Time (original cover but no manual, unfortunately as this one is for me to keep - been looking for this for AGES and at $3.99 I it was a no-brainer)

:ps2: Hot Wheels Beat That (This game was a hodge-podge of labelling indicating it's complex history ;). It had HWV printed cover - but one of the better ones with a bar code. Then it had a Movie Gallery sticker on the outside of the case. Then, this was topped with a HWV bar code. And finally, a big "Used Games $19.99" sticker was slapped on top of that :lol:)
:ps2: Destroy All Humans 2 (same as above but this one is complete!)
:ps2: Ico (original cover, but unfortunately "property of Movie Gallery" is printed all over the disc :bomb:)
:ps2: Lego Star Wars II (original cover)

I really, really wanted to hit up a few other stores that were more likely than my little local store to get bigger Movie Gallery shipments but the weather defeated me :cry:.

One thing that has been great with this round of purchases is that at every store I've been to in the last week they have rung up the games at $3.99 without any hassle or me even having to point out the sale to them. Yeah, it's taken a month to get to that point, but it is nice nonetheless :lol:.

Picked up:
Star Wars Republic Commando

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Star Fox Assault
Super Mario Strikers
Mario Party 7

God of War II

Would've kept FE if I still had my Cube :cry:

so....I totaly passed a HWV yesterday without thinking and wont be able to make it back there for 2 weeks!! DARN, but on the bright side i'm going past a MG tomorrow that is in the middle of redneck-ville-USA so the only thing missing out of their new pulls will be the sports, racing, and hunting games. my fingers are crossed.

i went to the only mg around me and they still had all the good ps2 and gc games that everyone has been getting as rentals. they hadnt converted any to sale. are not all the stores doing this?

[quote name='sadunk']Manager at 1 store was nice. I was browsing and he tells me they just got a shipment in. I looked through it, nothing good though. I go to another store and practially hit the motherload. They had tons of games that would have flipped awesome. Unfortunately they took the signs down. I asked about the sale and he said his manager ended the sale. WTF?[/QUOTE]

I went by yesterday hoping for some conversions and had a decent find. The guy told me the price before the discount ($90+) and after ($25+). Also told me that if I didn't like what I had that after the sale ended, I could bring it back for the updated price :shock:

I bought a stack of 15 games and I added a 360 Oblivion just for the hell of it, and it rung up as 3.99. haha it was priced at 24.99. Not bad i say.

It helped that the young employee had no clue or interest about games. ;]

[quote name='c.gibbits']I bought a stack of 15 games and I added a 360 Oblivion just for the hell of it, and it rung up as 3.99. haha it was priced at 24.99. Not bad i say.

It helped that the young employee had no clue or interest about games. ;][/quote]

[quote name='sadunk']Whoa! It rung up as $3.99? No barcode to scan? Anyone else going today to check it out?[/quote]

If you are asking about the post I have quoted above yours, he slipped in Oblivion with the other games, and they unknowingly scanned the $3.99 discount barcode as if it were a previous gen game. It has been known for a while that the discount barcode reduces next-gen games as well, even though they are not supposed to be part of the sale. Oblivion will not automatically ring up $3.99.

yeah i just wanted to test if it worked and if they say something then no biggie, and if they dont even better. If it didnt work i wouldve said oh i dont want that game nevermind.

But yeah haha it worked so what a ++

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back