My 3DS delivered to Scarborough??? Live in Toronto!

Solid-Snake-Eyes

Do not touch.
Feedback
61 (100%)
Okay what's my best move here? Been patiently waiting for my 3DS to show up from BestBuy.ca and I just checked the Canada Post tracking. It says successfully delivered at 10am in Scarborough. I live in downtown Toronto. The Canada Post website says "Please note that this is the most up-to-date information available in our system. Our telephone agents have access to the same information presented here." so calling them isn't going to help. Will Best Buy do anything? I've been really looking forward to getting the machine today, I planned my day around being available for the mail delivery! This is nuts...

And BTW I looked all around my house, no package.

I called Best Buy and they can't do anything about it until 5 business days have passed. They said if I don't have it by then they will start an investigation. I asked her if I should just buy another 3DS at the store and return this one later or end up with a refund if they can't find it, she said yeah I can do that. Problem is will I lose my 1600 pre-order reward points this way?

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally sympathize with your case as I have had pre-orders ship late too such as COD:MW, Xbox 360 S, etc. However, is this really worth starting a new thread about? Not trying to sound like a douche, but I'm not certain if you're asking for help (in this case there isn't really as its barely 24hrs late) or if you're just ranting (which I think you may need your own personal blog or youtube video to do).

Just my 2 cents. Let's locked this.

Ive had something similar happen to me with a Boxing Day order that I screwed up the postal code. It took weeks to sort out.

Here's my advice.

1. Try to figure out what went wrong. Doublecheck your postal code and address on both the billing and shipping information. If you know why it was shipped wrong, you're ahead of the game.

2. Call Canada Post first. They will tell you that only the shipper can request an investigation. Lie and say you already talked to Best Buy and they won't help. Ask to open an investigation, get the reference number. Give them your email address for updates.

3. Call Best Buy. Tell them the situation and give them the reference number from Canada Post. Ask them to cross-reference the information on Canada Post from the tracking number and your address. I doubt there's anything they are going to do for you - it's really in Canada Post's hands, but start the paper trail for the possibility that they claim it was delivered.

4. Good luck.

Thank you for the helpful feedback, eataburger. The billing and shipping address are correct, the receipt says Do Not Safe Drop but they do that all the time with my BB orders so maybe this practice will finally bite them in the ass if they left it somewhere with no signature.

I have no clue how Canada Post works, but I've had instances with UPS where the tracking number was recycled and showed being delivered already but really wasn't.

Maybe I'll wait a day before calling Canada Post. I would go buy another 3DS today if it wasn't for the $20 worth of reward points. I would hate to miss out on that.

I would give it another day or 2. I ordered something from Wisconsin, and figured it would be here in no time because I live in Michigan, but for some reason the package was sorted and "delivered" to Washington. I was freaking out about this, but it turned out to just be a mistake with the package scan or something because I got the package a couple days later no problem. Hopefully this is kinda the same with your 3DS, but like I said, you might want to give it a couple days because it might have just been a package scan error.

Called Canada Post, she says it's going to the correct address and that sometimes they prescan something as being delivered before it's actually delivered, and the fact that it says Scarborough doesn't mean anything, etc. Basically saying that there is no problem. She says if it doesn't arrive today to contact the sender and have them submit an inquiry. The only time I've ever had their status tell me something was delivered when it wasn't was when it was dropped off at the wrong address. Will wait till tomorrow and see, I guess. Thanks for the helpful posts guys. This is extremely frustrating but hopefully works out in the end without too much trouble.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Called Canada Post, she says it's going to the correct address and that sometimes they prescan something as being delivered before it's actually delivered, and the fact that it says Scarborough doesn't mean anything, etc. Basically saying that there is no problem. She says if it doesn't arrive today to contact the sender and have them submit an inquiry. The only time I've ever had their status tell me something was delivered when it wasn't was when it was dropped off at the wrong address. Will wait till tomorrow and see, I guess. Thanks for the helpful posts guys. This is extremely frustrating but hopefully works out in the end without too much trouble.[/QUOTE]

Your hard earned tax dollars at work right there people.

I have one good thing to say about Best Buy today though, after I dealt with them regarding this 3DS delivery I was transferred to Rewardzone to deal with some missing points on Pokemon from March 6th that weren't being recognized through their website missing points interface. The guy was really helpful and said he would add the points plus the 800 pre-order bonus and it would appear within 2 days. I just checked an hour later and it's all there, posted and waiting for the certificate to be issued. Not bad! I had a similar good experience with RewardZone phone service in the past, they seem to know their stuff when it comes to fixing things, even though the RZ system itself doesn't always do what it's supposed to.

Just buy the 3DS at Bestbuy and return the shipped one using the store-bought console's receipt, non? You won't lose the preorder points then.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Just buy the 3DS at Bestbuy and return the shipped one using the store-bought console's receipt, non? You won't lose the preorder points then.[/QUOTE]
I think that might cause a problem since I think that each one has its own serial number or bar code and they would know it was a different one. I'm not sure on this though. I did just go buy a new one at Best Buy, will hopefully find a way to get the reward points in the end.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I think that might cause a problem since I think that each one has its own serial number or bar code and they would know it was a different one. I'm not sure on this though. I did just go buy a new one at Best Buy, will hopefully find a way to get the reward points in the end.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they are all the same. You can even buy it at a different store such as EB Games and return it to BB and they won't know the difference.

I've had this happen with Canada Post before. They listed an item as being delivered successfully when in fact the item didn't get to me until the next day. I'm sure you'll have your 3DS tomorrow.

[quote name='ass-assassin']Nope, they are all the same. You can even buy it at a different store such as EB Games and return it to BB and they won't know the difference.

I've had this happen with Canada Post before. They listed an item as being delivered successfully when in fact the item didn't get to me until the next day. I'm sure you'll have your 3DS tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, like I mentioned before the only time this has happened to me it was because they left it at the wrong house. Added to that it says it was delivered to a different part of the city and I was really concerned. Now that I bought a second 3DS I can relax a little bit and know that it's just a matter of time before things hopefully get sorted out. If that's true that I can just return the delayed one with the new receipt that would be great and solve the reward points problem!

I'm not sure you can actually return the online-shipped 3DS using the store-bought 3DS receipt. They probably recorded the serial number of the 3DS when it was purchased, and when it is returned, it will have to match the serial number on the box and on the console. But let us know what happens :)

AFAIK, the only time the serial numbers are registered is if you purchase the extended warranty. This is to prevent you from swapping out systems and the like. Only the UPC is scanned when purchasing an item, meaning as long as the UPC is the same (it should be across all 3DS's of the same colour), then there should not be a problem.

I suppose if I ever get the second 3DS I'll bring both receipts with me and try the store one first. I thought that stores somehow scanned your serial # and it got registered with Nintendo or Sony to activate your warranty or something, that sounds crazy to me now that I say it but I could have sworn it happened with my DS Lite at Gamestop/EB.

I believe EB has logged the serial # of every console I've purchased through them. They've been doing it for ages, IIRC they did it for the N64. But they're the only retailer I've ever seen do it.

Yeah I remember that when I went to the Nintendo site after buying my Lite at EB, it already had my warranty registered. If I get the MIA 3DS I will compare the boxes carefully and see if there are any differences. I just noticed something, I bought some screen protectors with my new store-bought 3DS and when I exchanged it due to the floppy hinge the protectors were no longer listed on my new receipt. I think they screwed up but no big deal, I already opened em and used one. They kinda suck but will last me til my Hori ones arrive from Play Asia. They're about 2 weeks late so I'm contacting them about it. $10 for peace of mind til the Horis get here was worth it, i figure. Seems like the bottom screen rim leaves an imprint in the top screen when the system is closed! The first 3DS I opened actually had that imprint in the top screen even though they ship with that soft foamy sheet between the two screens, weird.

[quote name='game_fanatic']AFAIK, the only time the serial numbers are registered is if you purchase the extended warranty. This is to prevent you from swapping out systems and the like. Only the UPC is scanned when purchasing an item, meaning as long as the UPC is the same (it should be across all 3DS's of the same colour), then there should not be a problem.[/QUOTE]
Haha, can't believe this seemingly simple solution. Someone on Neogaf was talking about the same issue and suggested just switching the outer boxes. I'd have to open the missing one but they take back open boxed 3DS for refund I believe. Best Buy definitely didn't open the box and scan the serial # on the unit itself.

...then again, someone else responded that if Nintendo's records show that serial # as being returned I could have issues with service on the one I kept which would have the same serial. I could claim ignorance or that I had two and mixed up the boxes. Jeez... all this analysis over a $20 reward credit. But I always try to get the best deals, I'm a CAG!

My neighbor one door over just brought the missing 3DS over, she had received it yesterday. She obviously isn't located in Scarborough either but whatever. Now I'm wondering how to go about trying to retain my pre-order rewardzone points. If the serial # isn't on the receipt I should be able to return the online pre-order with the store-bought receipt right? If I can do that it'll solve everything. The serial # is printed on the box. Someone earlier in the thread said only EB scans the serial # when selling consoles. I'm gonna examine the receipts again to make sure there's nothing on there.

I just looked at the store receipt and it shows the serial # for the first store-bought 3DS with the floppy hinge and the serial # for the tight hinged one that I exchanged it for. Guess I'm either going to give up the points or try to talk them into transferring the points from one 3DS to the other cause I want to keep the one I already opened. Only other option is to keep the one that came in the mail and return the one I opened from the store, but the one I opened is good, who knows if the other has a dead pixel or floppy hinge, hell it's only $20. Sorry for spamming up the forum, I feel like I am. Thank you for the various advice though guys, I really appreciated it.

You'll get a survey from Best Buy in the next few days asking your experience with your online order. You'll get a chance to vent about Canada Posts inability of delivering on time, at right address, not safe dropping or scanning a package properly.

Sooo, were you able to return the online-shipped 3DS and keep your preorder bonus points? I'm curious to know how things turned out...

[quote name='Wagyu']Sooo, were you able to return the online-shipped 3DS and keep your preorder bonus points? I'm curious to know how things turned out...[/QUOTE]
I thought I'd wait a few days before letting them know I had received the missing one, yesterday I wrote to the rewardzone support email address and explained everything, they'll probably just tell me to call them. Waiting for a response to that email. I think if I can't get it switched I'm just going to give up the points and return the pre-ordered system cause I've used this store-bought one for a few days and I know it's a good one. No loose hinge or dead pixels or whatever other flaws people are finding.

I don't know if anyone's still interested in this story but after 3 days with no response to my email I called the Rewardzone phone number and the representative said she didn't know if anything could be done and that I should take it to the store and ask them. I expect they'll tell me no, in which case I'll return my opened and used for a week 3DS and keep the fresh unopened one. They lose money!

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']... I expect they'll tell me no, in which case I'll return my opened and used for a week 3DS and keep the fresh unopened one. They lose money![/QUOTE]

Hopefully you realize that you're being kind of a dick about this whole thing?

[quote name='ejamer']Hopefully you realize that you're being kind of a dick about this whole thing?[/QUOTE]
I'm a dick for being upset that following their phone representative's advice has led me to lose my $20 rewardzone credit? You make a great point.

I'm gonna let this thread die, I've decided to keep the one I opened, return the one with the points, and live with the loss. I checked the new one and it had a floppy hinge anyway. Not worth getting into a battle with their service people over it.

Just wanted to make a final update, I actually got those 1600 points applied to my other 3DS purchase after someone saw my post on the Best Buy official forums and contacted me by email. They apologized for the trouble and just asked me to provide my member ID. The points are posted already so I don't have to wait the 35 days. I had given up and returned the pre-ordered 3DS to the store last Thursday, when I got home that email was sitting in my inbox.

Good to see everything worked out for you :)

People knock Best Buy/Future Shop quite consistently, but I never have any huge issues with them, and I'm one of the few that actually praises their CS (not so much at the retail level, but at the corporate level).

bread's done
Back