MY DS BROKE! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mouse

CAGiversary!
Oh the irony. Fate's a cruel biatch that just loves to laugh at my misfortunes, spitting in my eyes and rubbing salt in my wounds all the while. But enough of my melodrama; I'm sure at least one of you are curious as to how this happened. To tell you the truth I don't know. Between 4th period Calc and 7th period off, something banged up against my leg, hitting the exact pocket I had placed my week old Nintendo DS. So there's a gigantic crack down the top screen, and I've gotta send it away to get it fixed, delaying my play-time even more... Meh. I'm sure no one cares, I just needed to complain.

It seemed kinda odd that it happened, especially considering the scratch-protector-exterior-screen-thing was perfectly fine. Has anyone else ever had their Game Boy's (or NGP's GG's, Nomads, etc.) screen's break, or is this a surprising, random occurance?

Sucka! Should've got a warranty.

Sounds kinda random, though. Just hit in the exact right spot. I've heard nothing but praise for the durability of Nintendo products.. especially the Gameboy, I recall reading a letter someone wrote in to a magazine saying that the gameboy sat outside all winter (some kid left it outside) and when they found it in the spring, the dogs had chewed on it a bit, but it worked.. I was impressed.. but yeah, it just seems like something hit your DS with the exact amount of pressure in the exact right spot. That sucks.

That sucks man. As for the past, my nephew had his brand new GBA in his hands for the first time. We went into the grocery store, and he slid on the wet floor. The GBA went up, and then crashed to the cement floor, face first. Surprisingly, there was no damange whatsoever!

A Manager of my local Gamestop ws showing off his free DS this Monday, when he fumbled, and dropped it on the floor.

He said, "That wasn't good", checked out the screen and had a good crack across the top screen. He turned it on and the LCD looked all rainbow-ish.

Good one!

Random. I've owned 5 or 6 game boys in my day and I'm pretty sure my original fell out of a second story window (onto the lawn) and no cracks. I thought those things were indestructible...

So I guess this mean I should hang mine from my neck with a rope or something. Sounds like this thing breaks easy. I haven't taken mine out of the box yet. It's for me for Xmas

Portables seem very... odd. Some have experiences of indestructable ones, and others of ones that just decide to break for no apparent reason.

[quote name='Mouse']Oh the irony. Fate's a cruel biatch that just loves to laugh at my misfortunes, spitting in my eyes and rubbing salt in my wounds all the while. But enough of my melodrama; I'm sure at least one of you are curious as to how this happened. To tell you the truth I don't know. Between 4th period Calc and 7th period off, something banged up against my leg, hitting the exact pocket I had placed my week old Nintendo DS. So there's a gigantic crack down the top screen, and I've gotta send it away to get it fixed, delaying my play-time even more... Meh. I'm sure no one cares, I just needed to complain.

It seemed kinda odd that it happened, especially considering the scratch-protector-exterior-screen-thing was perfectly fine. Has anyone else ever had their Game Boy's (or NGP's GG's, Nomads, etc.) screen's break, or is this a surprising, random occurance?[/quote]

but at least your leg didn't get hurt!

If you have the reciept you could go try to exchange it. I mean its only a week old so they should if they have any in stock. If not you have to send it in.

I'm kinda weary of getting a DS for this reason. I've heard other people talking about other breakages and such happening with their DS. I hope the PSP isn't like this also but since both the DS and PSP's technology are 1st gen's, I doubt it'll be any less sturdy.

[quote name='Indiana']Sounds like the new DS is not as durable as other Nintendo products. :([/quote]

Consider how many stories you've heard of DSes breaking.

Then consider that number against the entire population of systems that have been sold.

I have no proof, but I've got a feeling that it's just the few bad stories making it seem much worse than it really is. It's not like there's an epidemic of DSes breaking...not like the PS2 DREs, anyway.

Really...how often do you go online to post about the wonderful shape your GBA is in? And who would read it if you did? I wouldn't click on a thread that says "My DS is flawless!" in any case.

I honestly don't think that there's a problem; as it is, we haven't had enough time to tell for certain. This is probably nothing to worry about, but wait it out. There aren't very many games for it yet as it is, so give it time to see if the system actually is as fragile as some people think it is...

man that really sucks. I have a feeling because there was a shortage in screens they had to go with cheaper ones just to get the DS out on time.

I've dropped my DS a couple times and I haven't had any cracks or any damage what so ever really, just a few small scratches on the outside case from normal ware.

My Nomad screen cracked, theres no way to get it fixed since Sega ran out of screens years ago, and no one wants to deprive their Nomad of one.

LCDs can go at any time, it only takes just the right amount of pressure in just the right spot for it crack, it's just like glass in a way. I'd suspect you got hit dead center of the DS. The casing would protect it easier on the sides but if inpact hits the flat of the system the shock wave will go straight to the screen.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I'm kinda weary of getting a DS for this reason. I've heard other people talking about other breakages and such happening with their DS. I hope the PSP isn't like this also but since both the DS and PSP's technology are 1st gen's, I doubt it'll be any less sturdy.[/quote]

Nintendo has an amazing track record. Sony has a shitty one. I imagine the PSP will have similar problems. I'm waiting for DRE reports for PSPs. Though I still want to get one, since I'm a sucker ;)

Uh.. all you guys asking about a warranty:

Nintendo offers a one year warranty on all of their hardware, no need to buy any of that bullshit from Best Buy/etc.

Well at least it didn't burst into flames while you were playing it, then you could say the universe trully hates you.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I'm kinda weary of getting a DS for this reason. I've heard other people talking about other breakages and such happening with their DS. I hope the PSP isn't like this also but since both the DS and PSP's technology are 1st gen's, I doubt it'll be any less sturdy.[/quote]

If durability's what you're looking for, I wouldn't give PSP a second glance... just a hunch.

It's an LCD screen. They aren't indestructible. Yes, Nintendo has a 1 yr warranty but that is against manufacturer's defects. Physical damage isn't covered under warranty, but because Nintendo is standing behind their product, they are repairing/replacing your DS for free. Let's see Sony do the same when their PSP comes out.

As long as it's the top screen you should be able to replace it yourself with no problem. Nintendo.com sells them for cheap. I replaced two GBA (1 scratched, 1 cracked) that way in a few minutes.

For those who suggest that the PSP screen will be suseptable to easy damage, read the post where it took a sharp object to puncture the PSP screen.

same shit happened when i first got a neo geo pocket color when they were new... i put it in my pocket and i was walking through my aunt's dining room when someone moved a wooden chair out of nowhere and it banged against my pocket area... the crack in the screen was so huge i almost cried...

kinda funny... because i told my friends about it when it happened and all they could say was "what the fuck is a neo geo pocket color?"

[quote name='javeryh']Random. I've owned 5 or 6 game boys in my day and I'm pretty sure my original fell out of a second story window (onto the lawn) and no cracks. I thought those things were indestructible...[/quote]

I threw an original GB brick down a flight of stairs and it was fine. That thing was a tank.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Has to be random. N products are notorious for being more durable than solid steel. Regardless that has to suck.[/quote]

Really freaking true, I dropped the GBC a crapload of times and it never messed up once. My cousin took his into a pool and after drying it off, BAM it came to life.

[quote name='Bivensra']For those who suggest that the PSP screen will be suseptable to easy damage, read the post where it took a sharp object to puncture the PSP screen.[/quote]

Oh come on. Maybe it can take sharp objects, but the PSP is going to break so easily. Just look at it! It's so freaking long. That thing is going to snap right in half.

the hard plastic coating for the PSP only covers the face of the system(and is only meant to protect from scratching and rouing you veiw of the LCD screen), that dosent mean it wont destroy the LCD if you drop it from 4 feet up on to a hardwood floor.

The original GB really WAS a brick. You could use it as a car bumper, hit another car head on at 60 MPH and still play a game of tetris afterwards.

But as I said it depends on how close the LCD is to direct impact or shock.

[quote name='Spawn Of Hell'][quote name='Mouse']Between 4th period Calc and 7th period off[/quote]

The lesson here, skip more class.[/quote]

My question is why do you need a gameboy during school to begin with?

You're supposed to be learning, not playing.

[quote name='Alpha2']Not everyone's a grade A student you know. :p[/quote]

Yes, obviously not the Spawn of Hell. But he rules at mario 64, woot !
Put THAT on a job application.

[quote name='Alpha2']the hard plastic coating for the PSP only covers the face of the system(and is only meant to protect from scratching and rouing you veiw of the LCD screen), that dosent mean it wont destroy the LCD if you drop it from 4 feet up on to a hardwood floor.

The original GB really WAS a brick. You could use it as a car bumper, hit another car head on at 60 MPH and still play a game of tetris afterwards.

But as I said it depends on how close the LCD is to direct impact or shock.[/quote]

All the reason for Saunders to make Rhinoskins for all handhelds. If u have never held one u need to just to appreciate how tough they are.

[quote name='Alpha2']...when applying for a game tester job at Nintendo! :p[/quote]

You'd probably have a better chance of being drafted by the NBA.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='Bivensra']For those who suggest that the PSP screen will be suseptable to easy damage, read the post where it took a sharp object to puncture the PSP screen.[/quote]

Oh come on. Maybe it can take sharp objects, but the PSP is going to break so easily. Just look at it! It's so freaking long. That thing is going to snap right in half.[/quote]

So you're saying the PSP is fragile because it's long? It's only .8 inches longer than a DS, that's not much longer, so it wouldn't be a problem unless you're really trying to break it.

bread's done
Back