My first day with a Nintendo 64 (ever!)

Zerostatic

CAGiversary!
I never owned an N64 until today. Earlier this morning I became the proud owner of a Nintendo 64 along with about 10 games or so. The first thing I did when I got my n64 was hook it up to my 52 inch 1080p LCD in the living room. Big mistake! The games looked so bad that I was actually depressed thinking that I flushed money down the drain. The main reason I bought this system was to use it as my dedicated party machine that I would bring over to parties or get-togethers. The reason for this logic was that the system and it's games were both sturdy, there were no load times, and also the system had a reputation for being that system back in the day with several key multi-player greats (Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Brothers, etc.). Well what good was it going to be if the games are so damn blurry that it was a challenge to play them.

Then I hooked it up to my 27 inch sdtv in my study/game room. The difference was huge! I felt a lot better at this point.

Anyways, here are some early impressions on some games that I got:

FPS's have aged horribly! I have Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Doom 64, Duke Nukem 64, and Quake. At first, when I was playing Goldeneye, I really thought that the game had aged beyond the point of no return. However I made myself get through the first level and It was starting to grow on me. I briefly tried the multi-player and it looked like it could be fun. Overall though, it looks like fully 3D FPS's took a pretty big hit. Duke Nukem 64 and Doom 64 on the other hand seemed to have aged a bit better thanks to their sprite-based characters. Duke Nukem in particular was fun. It didn't feel like an N64 game though, it almost felt like a Super Nintendo game on steroids which I think is a good thing since the SNES has aged better then the N64.

Ridge Racer 64 and Wipeout 64 were both ok but disappointed me a bit. Ridge Racer 64 for it's horrible physics and Wipeout 64 for it's horrendous pop-up. Overall, I can't see myself spending too much time with either title and I might throw them back up on Ebay if they don't start to grow on me.

1080 Snowboarding seems to have held up pretty well. Snowboarding games have not come that far since 1080 (as opposed to today's FPS's which completely blow the N64's FPS's out the water).

Banjo-Kazooie looks like it'll be fun. The game's cartoony art style and abundant use of color have helped hide the rough around the edges look that many 3d games from this generation have.

Finally, I played the N64 version of one of my favorite games of all time . . . Resident Evil 2. I got really into it too, I played it for a couple of hours and even skipped out on a bunch of stuff I had to do today because I got so into it. Thanks to the pre-rendered background the game is still somewhat impressive though the polygonal models as expected don't look too hot.

That's it for now. My next purchases for my N64 is going to be to get the classic Nintendo titles (both Zelda games, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, etc.) as well as some good 2d games as are what will have aged the best (i.e. Mischief Makers, The New Tetris, Worms Armageddon Ogre Battle 64, Bust-A-Move 99, etc.)

get banjo kazooie and banjo tooie as well. id also suggest mace the dark age for a pretty good 3d fighting game.

[quote name='lokizz']get banjo kazooie and banjo tooie as well. id also suggest mace the dark age for a pretty good 3d fighting game.[/quote]I already got Banjo-Kazooie. I commented above, I like it so far. Thanks for the recommendation on Mace: the dark age. I'm actually researching that right now. I want another fighter (besides Smash Brothers). I've narrowed it down to Mortal Kombat 4, Mace, or Killer Instinct Gold.

I assume you got it on the cheap? Just kinda surprised someone went out of their way to pick up an n64 if they never owned it before. I did something similar around December, picked up one at a thrift shop, got a bunch of games. I kept it all about a week before coming to the conclusion every one of my favorites outside of Star Fox and Zelda had aged horribly.

Why did you get Doom 64, Duke Nukem 64, and Quake? I know they have multiplayer but sheesh they pc counterparts except for Doom 64 are much better. There really not that much of party games. You want another game to party with get the Mario Parties (even though I didn't like them). As for FPS you have GoldenEye and PD, why not get Turok 3, its decent fps found for cheap. And get San Fransico Rush 2 or Gauntlet, good party games as well. Avoid Mace and Killer Instinct. MK 4 is okay, MK trilogy has more characters.

And you picked up RE2 for N64 sigh, didn't we talk about this in the n64 vs psx thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kendal']Welcome to 1996! Get Blast Corps and Body Harvest. Also Space Station Silicon Valley.[/quote]
That, but I had problem with the glitches and controls back then, even though I fell in love with those games, I can't imagine now. XD

ALSO - GET BOMBERMAN 64.

Awesome multiplayer! Do not get bomberman world.

[quote name='Kendal']Welcome to 1996! Get Blast Corps and Body Harvest. Also Space Station Silicon Valley.[/quote]
Those 3 games were on my list of games to get but I have a feeling that they are all going to be games that have aged badly.

[quote name='Zerostatic']Those 3 games were on my list of games to get but I have a feeling that they are all going to be games that have aged badly.[/quote]

You bought the wrong system if you are looking for games that didn't age badly.

[quote name='Kendal']You bought the wrong system if you are looking for games that didn't age badly.[/quote]Well I want a party system that means that it has to have 4 controller ports so that pretty much leaves me with N64 and Dreamcast (XBOX is too big and heavy). I went with the N64 because it's more durable and it's games are more durable, and also because I've never played Ocarina of time or Majora's Mask and I want to play them both. I'll tell you something though, N64 has aged better then PS1 3D games. I mean Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64 have aged fine. Ape Escape for the PS1 is downright unplayable. It's kinda funny how the least successful system from that gen (Sega Saturn) is the one that has aged the best. It's also ironic that one of the major reasons it failed, it (too much focus on 2D) is also the reason that it is probably the best system from that gen to own today (i.e. Astal, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Shining Force III, Saturn Bomberman, Three Dirty Dwarves, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Darius Gaiden, Legend of Oasis, etc.)

Actually, I bought Blast Corps about 2 years ago for the first time, and I enjoyed it for a few hours (I was at a point where I was buying tons of games, playing them for a few hours, and then stopping). I keep meaning to go back to it, but I would give it a try. Ocarina of Time is a classic too, so you should give it a go (I played it for the first time on the Cube on the special edition disc when I bought Wind Waker, it was a straight port and was a ton of fun).

I think it makes sense that most of these games aged badly. The N64 was the start of FPS's on consoles for the most part (I know the 32x had Doom, but most of the pre Playstation/N64 era FPS's were just horrible on consoles). Some of the games you mentioned, like Golden Eye, were basically launch games too. It was the first time it was done. After playing Call of Duty 4/Halo 3/Orange Box though, these games are obviously primative. Enjoy it for what it was, but I'm not sure you will get tons of enjoyment out of it without a nostalgic factor.

[quote name='Zerostatic']Well I want a party system that means that it has to have 4 controller ports so that pretty much leaves me with N64 and Dreamcast (XBOX is too big and heavy). I went with the N64 because it's more durable and it's games are more durable, and also because I've never played Ocarina of time or Majora's Mask and I want to play them both. I'll tell you something though, N64 has aged better then PS1 3D games. I mean Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64 have aged fine. Ape Escape for the PS1 is downright unplayable. It's kinda funny how the least successful system from that gen (Sega Saturn) is the one that has aged the best. It's also ironic that one of the major reasons it failed, it (too much focus on 2D) is also the reason that it is probably the best system from that gen to own today (i.e. Astal, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Shining Force III, Saturn Bomberman, Three Dirty Dwarves, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Darius Gaiden, Legend of Oasis, etc.)[/quote]

Well the first party Nintendo games and Rare games are going to be the best looking. Outside of that, don't expect much out of the third party devs outside of a few here and there to look all the good to the eye. If you don't have one, the GCN has some really good 4 player games. Time Splitters 2 is the closest to a new awesome Perfect Dark we will ever get. :D

Why didn't you just buy a GameCube? You could probably find it for about the same price as the N64 and it has tons of good party games as well.

Mario Kart: Double Dash
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
Mario Party 4-7
Smash Bros. Melee
Time Splitters 2
F-Zero GX
Mario Superstar Baseball
Super Mario Strikers
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario DDR
Bomberman Generation
Donkey Konga
Warioware Inc Mega Party Games

and a lot more

[quote name='DJSteel']WWF No Mercy... best wrestling game ever... even if you aren't a wrestling fan..you'll enjoy the game...[/quote]
+1
N64 had the best wrestling games IMO. Fun as hell for multiplayer!

[quote name='DJSteel']WWF No Mercy... best wrestling game ever... even if you aren't a wrestling fan..you'll enjoy the game...[/QUOTE]

This is true. One of the best fighting/wrestling games, hands down.

Banjo Kazooie sucks actually. It starts off fine, but after a few hours of collecting a billion items over and over again you will hate life.

Try Mischief Makers, Mario 64 or Starfox 64 if you want a decent N64 game.

I happen to still like Diddy Kong Racing as well (Mario Kart 64 didn't hold up as well).

Zelda 64 is worthless now that Wind Waker exists.

[quote name='willardhaven']Banjo Kazooie sucks actually. It starts off fine, but after a few hours of collecting a billion items over and over again you will hate life.

Try Mischief Makers, Mario 64 or Starfox 64 if you want a decent N64 game.

I happen to still like Diddy Kong Racing as well (Mario Kart 64 didn't hold up as well).

Zelda 64 is worthless now that Wind Waker exists.[/quote]

Just wow.

Mario 64 aged great - I just played through it again a few months ago. Also, I like the collect-a-thon games suck as Banjo 1 and 2 and DK 64 (though DK 64 somehow aged terribly, despite the fact that I loved it when it came out).

Golden-eye multiplayer was where it was at; I never got into the missions. On the other hand, I haven't played it since 1998 or so.

[quote name='DarkRequiem']Just wow.[/quote]

Just speaking my mind, I don't know about you but I like hearing various opinions. The frank nature of the regular posters on this site is why I enjoy it.

I really didn't like the N64. It is my least favorite Nintendo console. None of the games were to my liking and I really don't like 3D gaming. Also, get Conker's Bad Fur Day. That game is the best the N64 has to offer. Also, flower tits.

I have been meaning to hook up my N64 again. So many games I used to enjoy playing many of which I haven't played in 8+ years. One of my favorites was Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball. I played 2 full seasons which is something I never did with a a baseball game before but I bet it will look horrible and not be as fun as MLB Power Pros

a lot of good games developed by rare from the snes to the n64. it's too bad that they left nintendo. i'm sure they're pretty disappointed on how things turned out for nintendo.

anyway, check out;
jet force gemini
excite bike
beetle racing adventure
indiana jones
mario sports game [tennis and golf]
star wars
castlevania
starcraft
command and conquer
turok 1, 2 are the best and the rest just sucks
sin and punishment-japanese import [check it out on wii first]
wave race 64

supposedly, the n64 had better fps games then ps1. the 007 n64 fps game is an example.

[quote name='Kendal']I really didn't like the N64. It is my least favorite Nintendo console. None of the games were to my liking and I really don't like 3D gaming. Also, get Conker's Bad Fur Day. That game is the best the N64 has to offer. Also, flower tits.[/quote]

Worse than the Wii? Really?

Loved the N64 then, love it now. I *still* don't get the ragging on it for the games having aged 'badly to the point that they're unplayable'. While they aren't the prettiest things in the world, they are FAR from unplayable.

If you accept what gaming was in 1996/1997, the N64 is still great. If you try to hold them to the standards of today, it won't work.

... oh, and on a related note, fuck anyone who says that GoldenEye aged badly. ;) Still incredibly playable.

[quote name='007']Loved the N64 then, love it now. I *still* don't get the ragging on it for the games having aged 'badly to the point that they're unplayable'. While they aren't the prettiest things in the world, they are FAR from unplayable.

If you accept what gaming was in 1996/1997, the N64 is still great. If you try to hold them to the standards of today, it won't work.

... oh, and on a related note, fuck anyone who says that GoldenEye aged badly. ;) Still incredibly playable.[/QUOTE]

Of all the things that made the n64 unplayable to me the main one is the controller, after playing the cube for a few years I went back to the n64 and my hands just didn't remember how the hell I was supposed to hold that thing.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Worse than the Wii? Really?[/quote]

Yes. I actually like my Wii. Even though Nintendo has not lived up to my hopes so far, it is still a very fun system. Also, No More Heroes.

[quote name='coolsteel']Of all the things that made the n64 unplayable to me the main one is the controller, after playing the cube for a few years I went back to the n64 and my hands just didn't remember how the hell I was supposed to hold that thing.[/quote]

See, that's where I differ from a lot of people... I still say that, even with the lack of a second stick, the N64 controller was one of the best ever. Believe me, I'll give people the second stick argument, but let's be fair... how many 64 games really would have benefitted? A handful, tops? FPS, for certain, but even then they were reasonably playable.

Even now, I can pick up the 64 controller and breeze through GoldenEye and Perfect Dark using the C-buttons just as easily as if they *were* a second stick. I mean, I get that it's a gimped way by comparison, but it's second nature if you're used to it.

Regardless, I still maintain that the N64 controller is in my top 3, along with the 360 and GC controllers... but then, for what it's worth, I hate the DualShock with a passion and place the Dreamcast controller at #4. :lol:

I hooked mine back up a year ago after having it sit unconnected in my entertainment system for several years. It really wasn't a pretty sight. I had this idea to play through several of my games but just couldn't do it. Seeing Shadows of the Empire from a modern perspective is really kind of heartbreaking.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']

supposedly, the n64 had better fps games then ps1. the 007 n64 fps game is an example.[/quote]Supposedly, you mean definitely without a doubt. The N64's dominance in the FPS genre was like the PS1's dominance in the RPG genre.

[quote name='Zerostatic']Supposedly, you mean definitely without a doubt. The N64's dominance in the FPS genre was like the PS1's dominance in just about every other genre.[/quote]

Fixed. I didn't care for the controller and still don't. It isn't horrible, but not my favorite. This is another reason why I didn't care for it.

So did you pick up any more games?

Just emphasizing that you would belittle the best N64 game, for what most would consider the weakest Zelda game released. I would rank Minish, any the GBC iterations more highly than WW.

The Minish Cap is quite good. I belittle Zelda 64 because while good, it was a huge disappointment after Zelda III and Link's Awakening.

Most people I speak to who played Zelda III when it released as well as 64 felt it was lacking by comparison.

Wind Waker is a colorful game based off of Zelda 64's engine, it's aging a lot better and gives you a similar (in my opinion better) experience.

I agree somewhat with willardhaven; I don't think his opinion is all that strange. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game. I don't think that OoT is worthless, per se; it was a great game, and I agree with you that it was the best N64 game. But I disagree that most consider Wind Waker the weakest Zelda. Zelda II, maybe? Or even Twilight Princess?

And more related to the original topic: Jet Force Gemini is fantastic!

Jet Force Gemini was great, I don't know if it aged well enough for me to finally pick up and play.

Either Mario 64 or Zelda 64 is the best, but honestly I did not enjoy the N64 very much.

Must haves:

Anything with Mario or Zelda in the title = awesome
Starfox 64 is still amazing
Waverace 64 is still amazing
Super Smash Bros (only if you don't have the sequels)

Good games:
Pokemon Snap (trust me, it's a really refreshing game)
Diddy Kong Racing (more than just a Mario Kart clone, it's actually pretty cool)
Kirby Crystal shards (easy as hell, but fun 2.5D gameplay that doesn't come often enough)
Bomberman 64 (underrated imo)
Pokemon Puzzle League

Good multiplatform games:
Vigilante 8 (if you like twisted metal, you'll love this)
Rayman 2 (it's amazing, you must play)

Banjo Kazooie 1 and 2 were good for the time, but they haven't aged well. You might still have fun with them, but they have that early 3D platforming feel....too much nonsensical collecting and exploring, and not enough platforming.

Whatever you do, don't get Donkey Kong 64. Let's leave it at that....

I would try to find a copy of Killer Instinct, I always liked playing that game with my buddies.

Two games that are mostly overlooked but I enjoyed (and can still enjoy to this day):

Space Invaders 64 - I have a lot of fun with this with my wife in 2 player co-op mode. It's short but fun to replay every once in awhile. Haven't played the new DS space invaders but it sounds similar.

South Park Rally - cart racing game with south park humor, plus it's not just racing around a track. There's other objectives for different courses like tag, keep-away, collect eggs, etc.

Look into these if you can get them cheap.

[quote name='Kendal']Yes. I actually like my Wii. Even though Nintendo has not lived up to my hopes so far, it is still a very fun system. Also, No More Heroes.[/quote]

Well, yeah NMH...and SMG....and....oh.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Well, yeah NMH...and SMG....and....oh.[/quote]

Excite Truck
Twilight Princess
Mario Kart
Metroid Prime 3
RE4(I loved the GCN version, the Wii version is some how better!)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Both TC games
Zack and Wiki

Just to add a few.

I wish there was a WiiWare update to Perfect Dark for 4 player online. I also can't stress enough, Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Forget about Mario and Zelda. It's all about that Conker's Bad Fur Day.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Well, yeah NMH...and SMG....and....oh.[/quote]

I don't get why people hate on the Wii so much. Gamewise it's my favorite console this gen, and this is coming from someone who owns all 3 consoles. And I'm not some biased Nintendo fanboy because god knows I loved my ps2 better than my gc.

Seriously

Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Excite Truck
Endless Ocean
Super Mario Galaxy
Lost Winds

Again, quality > quantity...at least for me.

(Sorry for the derail)

bread's done
Back