My game won in the Independent Games Festival, yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheik Rattle Enroll

CAGiversary!
I don't know if you guys like indie PC games at all, but my game Rock Station just placed second in the student IGF. It's a space shooter sort of like X-Wing vs. Tie or Freelancer, but it's got a console feel to it, check it out.

Big Congrats man. That's awesome. I agree that the art is awesome and I'm downloading it right now.

That is great!

I see your from Digipen. Did you make this alone or with a team of people? What was your job if it was a team effort?

It says in 2004 the average development cost was just under $5000, however in 2005 it was just barely under $50,000. What was your development cost?

The screen shots look most excellent :)

Chris

Congrats bro... Ellinger showed our class that last semester...

My game didn't do squat... though I didn't expect it to... Next year will be very different though...

[quote name='b3b0p']That is great!

I see your from Digipen. Did you make this alone or with a team of people? What was your job if it was a team effort?

It says in 2004 the average development cost was just under $5000, however in 2005 it was just barely under $50,000. What was your development cost?

The screen shots look most excellent :)

Chris[/quote]

I made it with a team of 3 other people, I did the game design, sound effects, much of the underlying sound, input, and graphics engines, much of the game code, and scripted the particle effects.

Our development cost was $0 essentially, but we get software as part of our tuition. A wily group of people could make a game like this for very little money, if they had other jobs to support themselves with.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Congrats! Does this mean it's going to be displayed at the GDC?[/quote]

Yeah, we'll all be going down, should be good times.

So you are a Digipen Student eh? I've been looking into Digipen recently and even got a pseudo commitment from the wife to move to Redmond should I decide to attend. What do you think of the school?

[quote name='daphatty']So you are a Digipen Student eh? I've been looking into Digipen recently and even got a pseudo commitment from the wife to move to Redmond should I decide to attend. What do you think of the school?[/quote]

Well, it's pretty dull here compared to living in a dorm at a "real" college, but I went to another school for 2 years so I got my partying done. It's also an enormous amount of work, and I think something like 75% of students wind up leaving or flunking out. Also realize that a job in the game industry means long hours at comparatively low pay. Finally, there's no real opportunity to take courses in non-programming/math/game development areas. But if all that hasn't scared you off, it's the best school out there for game development.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']DVD box art is pretty badass...I don't like the logo, but the character art is top notch. Big ups.[/quote]

Thats the first thing I noticed as well, good job dude, Im very impressed.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']what's the average age there? It seems like all the guys I meet there are in their mid 20s.[/quote]
That's probably right... a lot of kids here (including myself) went to at least some college before coming here. Some have degrees. I know several students in their 30's and I think there was a freshman last year who was in his 40's... though i haven't seen him at all this year.

[quote name='daphatty']So you are a Digipen Student eh? I've been looking into Digipen recently and even got a pseudo commitment from the wife to move to Redmond should I decide to attend. What do you think of the school?[/quote]

Even if you decide to attend you still need to apply. From what I understand it is not a walk in the park. It is very hard to get in and the school is quite selective. They want to see a portifolio of work you have done related to the type of degree you would like to attain and they only pick people which show great potential. With 75% dropping though they don't seem to be picking their students that well.

However, I have not attended nor applied and don't plan too and I could be flat out wrong.. This is just what I have been told. Your best off asking Sheik Rattle Enroll how difficult it really is to get in.

The main reason so many people flunk out or leave is because the work load that is required to get decent grades... A lot of kids can go through high school get all A's and B's and never lift a finger, but it's very different when you get here.

But I don't think digipen is all that hard to get into... For comparison:

I graduated high school with a 3.3 gpa, got a 1220 on the SATs, and spent 1 year at community college after that (after being put on a waiting list for both University of Virginia & Virginia Tech), where I had a 3.4 gpa.

Based on that info... I don't think digipen is very selective at all...

Well those are some pretty good grades. I can't seem to finish a class these days (full time work at the white house will do that to you) and only managed a 1045 on my SATs. Maybe I should fly out there and check the school out...

[quote name='daphatty']Well those are some pretty good grades. I can't seem to finish a class these days (full time work at the white house will do that to you) and only managed a 1045 on my SATs. Maybe I should fly out there and check the school out...[/quote]

If I were you I would apply first and see if you get accepted. Otherwise your trip will be nearly a waste. Unless you planned on taking a trip there anyway.

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']I don't know if you guys like indie PC games at all, but my game Rock Station just placed second in the student IGF. It's a space shooter sort of like X-Wing vs. Tie or Freelancer, but it's got a console feel to it, check it out.[/quote]

They rank the student showcase winners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back