My PS4 Came DOA

What happened to building quality machines? Remember the Super Nintendo? Remember how even after 23 years, they still work as good as they did when they came out of the box?

I get that technology is getting more advanced and with advancement comes more possibilities of problems arising, but come on... I'm sure Sony has been testing the PS4 months before it was even announced to the public and it's still riddled with launch problems.

What happened to building quality machines? Remember the Super Nintendo? Remember how even after 23 years, they still work as good as they did when they came out of the box?

I get that technology is getting more advanced and with advancement comes more possibilities of problems arising, but come on... I'm sure Sony has been testing the PS4 months before it was even announced to the public and it's still riddled with launch problems.
The invention of firmware and online play?

I also see a lot of people messing around with the hardware and wonder if that has anything to do with problems.

I know that mine and a buddies came shipped the same way.  Both didnt have any thing protecting the PS4 in the box.  They had the plastic on the bottom, but not on top.  Also the tape on mine was not even put on all the way so the box top was half way open. I was reading a lot of reviews on Amazon and I came across a dude who talked to Sony tech support and they said that the majority of issues are coming from people who bought from Amazon and a few from Gamestop.  Ours are working fine so far so Im thankful for that, but I dont like hearing any one having issues or being DOA.  On the  whole with a million sold its doing well and not a lot of issues percentage wise.

Update for my situation: blinking light system going back to Amazon. Bought a new one at BestBuy today and it seems to be working fine …PSN on the other hand  :whee:

I know that mine and a buddies came shipped the same way. Both didnt have any thing protecting the PS4 in the box. They had the plastic on the bottom, but not on top. Also the tape on mine was not even put on all the way so the box top was half way open. I was reading a lot of reviews on Amazon and I came across a dude who talked to Sony tech support and they said that the majority of issues are coming from people who bought from Amazon and a few from Gamestop. Ours are working fine so far so Im thankful for that, but I dont like hearing any one having issues or being DOA. On the whole with a million sold its doing well and not a lot of issues percentage wise.
Mine came packaged the same way - system lying flat on the bottom of the box, 2 shitty bubble packers on the top, tape partially opened. You'd think with so many people ordering this $400 item, Amazon would have put more effort in minimizing returns due to poor shipping/possible damages. Good thing my console wasn't damaged and worked out of the box

My ps4 came in a box about 4 times thicker than the ps4 packaging, air padding filling all the extra space and the ps4 on the bottom. Would had made more sense to put the ps4 Between the air padding, not stuff it all on One side. I had the standard Amazon tape sealing things up and it looked perfect outside and in. Inside the ps4 packaging there is no polystyrene foam, just cardboard but it seemed packaged well enough with enough 'crush' space around the ps4 to not be an issue.

My ps4 came in a box about 4 times thicker than the ps4 packaging, air padding filling all the extra space and the ps4 on the bottom. Would had made more sense to put the ps4 Between the air padding, not stuff it all on One side. I had the standard Amazon tape sealing things up and it looked perfect outside and in. Inside the ps4 packaging there is no polystyrene foam, just cardboard but it seemed packaged well enough with enough 'crush' space around the ps4 to not be an issue.
This is exactly how mine was shipped. I guess I should be grateful Amazon shipped me something in a box at all - if they had a bubble mailer big enough to cram a PS4 into they would have. Amazon shipping has really gone downhill.

This is exactly how mine was shipped. I guess I should be grateful Amazon shipped me something in a box at all - if they had a bubble mailer big enough to cram a PS4 into they would have. Amazon shipping has really gone downhill.
I keep finding myself going back to amazon to see if they have any in stock and keep seeing the advertisement, "Greatness Awaits", yea it sure does even though I have a ps4 sitting right here, sigh.

Well I think I can add my PS4 to the pile of returns that Amazon is going to get in the next week or so.  The problem I'm having is that it simply won't read any discs I put in it - I've been trying blu-rays and DVDs.  When I put one in, the system makes intermittent grinding noises, and the disc icon at the top right corner just sits there with the little light circling it endlessly.  I can't tell if the acutal disc is really spinning or not.  I have to hold my finger on the eject sensor before it will eventually spit the disc out, and most of the time I've had to restart the system before it would let me insert another disc.  I've tried putting the PS4 on its side, but that didn't help.  I've even reinitialized the system on the off chance that this is software-related, though this clearly seems like faulty hardware.  It's a shame because the thing works great otherwise, but I have no use for a console that can't read discs.

I'm tempted to just get a refund and wait for a hardware revision at this point.

Well I also had a PS4 pre-ordered from Amazon.  Amazingly it came in a box triple the size of the PS4.  I tried to get one at Target on launch day but they gave out tickets at 4am (?) and they left them in the display case.  I knew the size of the PS4 box...so when the FedEx guy came I was like...holy hell hope it didn't float around in the box.  Well sure enough the PS4 is sitting at the bottom of the box and there is like 3 packs of air foam, one of them, half the pack was popped.  

Anyway, go and unpack it, the PS4 seems unharmed but hooking it up to my primary TV...it took forever to get it to work.  It booted up fine (no blue blinking lights) but the HDMI display (with the included cable) didn't work.  Swapped it out for my other HDMI..nothing.  Ended up unplugging the system, and all cables, and then waited like 5 minutes.  Put everything back and connected with the included HDMI cable.  It booted up and finally my TV showed the PS4 booting (it was in safe mode).  

Then going through the system settings and wireless and then to PSN...it immediately asked for an update.  So I updated.  After a good 10 minutes, it rebooted and then .... the hell....no more diplay.  This is an LG 42 Inch TV.

After trying so many cable swaps, I decided to bring it up to my other TV with my PS3.  This is a DLP Samsung 56.  Put the HDMI cable from my PS3 into the PS4...plugged in, turned TV on...turned PS4 on....voila.  Everything works.

Now I have downloaded all the PS4 games and played through them all.  No freezes but I yet to test the drive and even power off.  I'm afraid to power down and loose the display.

I'm hoping that I don't have to return it....but I'm afraid of the un-stability of the patch.  I'm going to hold of on buying any retail games, except maybe Need for Speed...I saw a lot of people on the Live TV playing it and it looks great.

I haven't had much time to play with my PS4 but I am a little worried about some issues I have had.  I have seen a little about "blue light of death" and other issues.  I haven't had time to read up on all of this yet.  My issue is that the PS3 light bar goes white and stays like this.  The screen is black and hitting the power button or holding it down do nothing.  I have had to pull the plug out of the back to get the system to boot up.  This is with only using the thing a few minutes a couple times.  I have yet to pop in a game.  Anyone else come across this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had much time to play with my PS4 but I am a little worried about some issues I have had. I have seen a little about "blue light of death" and other issues. I haven't had time to read up on all of this yet. My issue is that the PS3 light bar goes white and stays like this. The screen is black and hitting the power button or holding it down do nothing. I have had to pull the plug out of the back to get the system to boot up. This is with only using the thing a few minutes a couple times. I have yet to pop in a game. Anyone else come across this?
My guess is a bum HDMI cable check the pins on the back or switch it out (HDMI cable). If the bar is white the system should be fine. It should start up "blue flashing =====> solid white" that means it boots up fine. if it stays at blue flashing you are screwed.

My PS4 kinda worked but now it doesn't work.

I received it Friday from Amazon (the actual shipping box had an amazon prime "tape" that was not intact) and the PS4 box had one corner "pushed" in but the PS4 looked in excellent shape. I hook it up with the HDMI sony supplied and the PS4 just has a blue pulsating light. I try my HDMI from my PS3 and it works. I update it and start playing FIFA 14,BF4, and Ghosts. The PS4 froze once during Ghosts. The next day, I turn it on and it shows the blue pulsating lights again. I use both HDMI's in my PS3 and they both work but they won't work with the PS4. That is when I go online and see about the whole HDMI issue and I don't see anything wrong with my HDMI port. I put the PS4 in safe mode (which took multiple tries) and I just choose restart PS4 and it works. I turn it off to go to the store and when I come back, it has the blue pulsating lights when I try turning it on. I put the PS4 in safe mode again and choose option 1 and it seems to work. I did the same thing today except this time it made a high pitch sound and froze right when it was about to load the UI. I turned it off by holding the power button after leaving it on for 15 minutes and now the option 1 in safe mode will not work. Now, I can't even get it to boot into safe mode, sometimes it does but most of the time it just turns off again. I didn't want to return it but I guess I will have to. Oh well, shit happens.

As noted, I did receive it from Amazon. It seems like everyone with a faulty system also got it from Amazon. Mine came from Phoenix.

I did love the little I did play though. Trophies pop up instantly now.

No way to pause downloads which boggles my mind.

Edit: Instead of using the PS4 power cable, I am using the PS3 power cable and it's actually turned on several times. Could it actually be a faulty power cable??

Edit: Ok 1 out of 5 times will it not display with the PS3 power cable. The PS3 turned off when I put in Ghosts.

It's unlikely, but maybe defective units can be traced back to a certain few warehouses that might have less than optimal conditions. Mine came from Lexington, KY and it works

I haven't had much time to play with my PS4 but I am a little worried about some issues I have had. I have seen a little about "blue light of death" and other issues. I haven't had time to read up on all of this yet. My issue is that the PS3 light bar goes white and stays like this. The screen is black and hitting the power button or holding it down do nothing. I have had to pull the plug out of the back to get the system to boot up. This is with only using the thing a few minutes a couple times. I have yet to pop in a game. Anyone else come across this?
The console definitely has hdmi/ hdcp handshake issues. I've found the best way to get around them when the ps4 is misbehaving is to change the input on you tv/tuner/hdmi switch to "something else" and then switch it back. This seems to restart the handshake process and fix lots of issues.
NOT the blinking blue light issue, but issues with no video or playback issues with DVDs or blurays.

Well I decided to reboot my PS4 - it lost the wifi signal while downloading trine 2 trial.  It booted up back fine on my Samsung TV but not my other LG TV still...even with switching inputs while the PS4 is on with the white light.  I ended up starting the process through Amazon to get a replacement - which I'm not sure how long it will take....just that I don't want the console to someday just die and I'm out of the exchange time with Amazon.  Sony said it would take at least 20 days to get me a replacement RMA box...then they told me no estimate on repair time or getting a replacement console, so I rather just wait for Amazon even though their shipping box was horrible.  

I received my box today to return my unit in.  The return label they sent is also an overnight label, so they will receive it tomorrow.

Looks like I might have a chance to have a working PS4 by the end of the week.  Hopefully others get this same speedy service.

I just got an email from amazon, they are doing exchanges now not just refunds for dead ps4s. Not sure how that effects people already in the refund process though or how they are queuing people. 

I posted this originally in another PS4 thread but haven't heard anything back from any cag's yet.  My PS4 was also from Amazon and packaged just as shitty as what others have been describing.  Here's my whole post from before.

Ok I need some advice.  My PS4 has been crashing and restarting itself ever since I got it last Friday (but not EVERY time I use it weirdly enough).  I can never replicate the problem, it's happened to me when I try to load up the main system menu, when I've tried to sync trophies, and also a few times when I've tried to start NBA 2K14 (the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the system just shuts down).  But it's frustrating because sometimes my system acts 100% fine and works great.  I just cannot for the life of me understand why sometimes it's great and other times it completely shits the bed.  I have the 1.50 patch on it too, I loaded that on from a usb stick right after I first got my PS4 set up.

So what do you guys suggest I do?  Should I try to wipe everything and reinstall the OS?  Should I just try to reset it to factory settings but not reinstall the OS itself?  Or should I just tell Sony to send me a cardboard box?  I would hate to have to send it back but it also makes me nervous as hell to have a system that I have no idea if it's going to work right from day to day.

I posted this originally in another PS4 thread but haven't heard anything back from any cag's yet. My PS4 was also from Amazon and packaged just as shitty as what others have been describing. Here's my whole post from before.

Ok I need some advice. My PS4 has been crashing and restarting itself ever since I got it last Friday (but not EVERY time I use it weirdly enough). I can never replicate the problem, it's happened to me when I try to load up the main system menu, when I've tried to sync trophies, and also a few times when I've tried to start NBA 2K14 (the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the system just shuts down). But it's frustrating because sometimes my system acts 100% fine and works great. I just cannot for the life of me understand why sometimes it's great and other times it completely shits the bed. I have the 1.50 patch on it too, I loaded that on from a usb stick right after I first got my PS4 set up.

So what do you guys suggest I do? Should I try to wipe everything and reinstall the OS? Should I just try to reset it to factory settings but not reinstall the OS itself? Or should I just tell Sony to send me a cardboard box? I would hate to have to send it back but it also makes me nervous as hell to have a system that I have no idea if it's going to work right from day to day.
I had this happen to me as well. Try the *hold Power button* to get into safe mode. go to Reinitialize console (delete update), reupdate your system.

This should help mine was weird but after I did this it worked great.

Does the Reinitialize delete game saves/data/profiles or only system level stuff and not profile level? I am just curious. 

Ok well I did the complete system restore putting on the OS again and everything. So far so good but I only played a little FIFA and watched a few streams. I will just hope for the best when I go to play it more tomorrow.

I am thinking the OS they send out is trash and or the HDD is fragmented to shit. So doing this probably fixes it. My guess on this is because all of my friends that put 1Tb HD's in have had no problems what so ever and why Sony says to remove and reattach your HDD as one of the solutions.

Hope for the best for you too sir :)

I am thinking the OS they send out is trash and or the HDD is fragmented to shit. So doing this probably fixes it. My guess on this is because all of my friends that put 1Tb HD's in have had no problems what so ever and why Sony says to remove and reattach your HDD as one of the solutions.

Hope for the best for you too sir :)
I almost planned for a 1tb drive day 1 swap but then decided 1tb was too small and had decided to wait for 2tb. I may re-think it and just opt for a 1tb to try and keep issues you describe from being a problem.

I wonder how this is impacting all of those Amazon ones sold on eBay... especially the drop-shipped ones. Sure you can send it back to Amazon, but if I over-paid for one I would be pretty upset and wanting my money back. Most of those people paid a premium to be first, and there will be either one of two situations:

1. if there aren't replacement systems right away, then I would ask for my money back because I don't want to wait if I paid a premium

2. there are lots of systems available for replacement, then I would still want my money back because this means that they won't stay sold out and I can get one on my own.

Amazon is actually helping the scalpers by trying to migrate people to replacements instead of refunds.

Amazon followed up and told me since I had already started the refund process that they can't offer me an exchange now. Sucks.

Amazon followed up and told me since I had already started the refund process that they can't offer me an exchange now. Sucks.
Well just take the refund and look for a PS4 in a nearby brick & mortar store like BB, Target, or Walmart. That way if you have any problems with your next unit, you can return it to the store and avoid all this waiting. Sorry to hear you're still dealing with this, bummer.

I reinstalled the OS and everything was going ok for about 4 hours or so (split up into two play sessions) before I had another freeze.  This one was when I was trying to look at my downloads (I had just started the NBA Live demo).  The system shut itself off and ran thru the check disk on the next restart and then it booted up fine.  Someone mentioned to me it could be wireless related, I don't have access to an ethernet cable in my bedroom so I'm on WiFi, someone suggested to me that could be a problem worth looking in to.  I am going to see how things go from here now, if I get more freezes I might have to send it in idk.  I think the firmware that's out is not the best either, I don't have any hard evidence of that it just seems like a lot of people have had weird freezing issues so far, none of which can be exactly pinpointed it seems.  

How long of a warranty does the PS4 have?  I just want to know how long I've got before I have to decide if I need to send it back or not.

How long of a warranty does the PS4 have? I just want to know how long I've got before I have to decide if I need to send it back or not.
From Amazon's Returns page: "Note: Items shipped by Amazon.com between November 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013, may be returned until January 31, 2014, subject to our refund policies." I just mailed my PS4 back today, and the Return Authorization slip stated "All the items must be returned by January 31, 2014."

Ok thanks for the info.  Does anyone know how long the warranty through Sony is?  I was thinking it was only 30 days but I don't know for sure.

Sorry hope it's resolved for you by now. My router died the night before the PS4 came out, so I had to get  a new router and set it up before I set up my PS4 after work that day. Luckily the router set up only took like 30 minutes but still it was the longest 30 minutes ever.

Ok thanks for the info. Does anyone know how long the warranty through Sony is? I was thinking it was only 30 days but I don't know for sure.
There should be a manual in the box with details on that, but since I don't have mine anymore I can't check. My PS3's warranty was a year from the date of purchase. I would think the PS4 is similar to that.

Got an update from amazon saying my replacement ps4 is being processed and that I should have it friday. Now I am not taking this too serious as I was told since I started the refund process I can not switch to the exchange process. 

What I am thinking might happen is they will receive my returned ps4 and refund the cost of it. The so-called replacement ps4 will ship and when they don't receive an 'exchange' ps4 they will just bill me for it. That would be fine if it happens but we shall see, the replacement ps4 order may just be canceled but at this point, who knows.

I was not able to get it to display an image and it won't boot into safe mode. I contacted Amazon today and they are sending a replacement PS4 and it will be here tomorrow. The PS4 shows up under my orders as Not for sale - replacement console with overnight shipping. 

Just a little closure for anyone following along. 

I got a tracking number last night and sure enough, a ps4 was shipped and I picked it up at work(UPS) this morning and.... it works! Plugged it in with no issues at all, played for a few hours and it ran just fine. 

Not sure how amazon is going to handle the refund / exchange but it doesn't matter, if they charge back my card then recharge or just see it as an exchange its' all good. 

Loving AC and KZ so far.... 

Just a little closure for anyone following along.

I got a tracking number last night and sure enough, a ps4 was shipped and I picked it up at work(UPS) this morning and.... it works! Plugged it in with no issues at all, played for a few hours and it ran just fine.

Not sure how amazon is going to handle the refund / exchange but it doesn't matter, if they charge back my card then recharge or just see it as an exchange its' all good.

Loving AC and KZ so far....
Great news, glad to hear its resolved! Don't forget to d/l the free games, Resogun is awesome.

I still can only play my PS4 on one of the TV's so I also started the exchange process on Monday.  By Wednesday I got the same from amazon.com

The PS4 shows up under my orders as Not for sale - replacement console with 2 day shipping.  I'm a prime member (by gift).

Anyway though - the 1.51 update almost bricked my system.  The update downloaded but the first time it installed, the system never booted up and went to the blinking blue light.  I had to unplug the system and all the cables for about 2 minutes.  Plugged it back in, it booted after 3 reboots and into safe mode.  Re-downloaded 1.51 update and then things worked.

Glad a replacement is coming so quickly.  I really do like most of the free games.  Esp Resogun.  Just wish the multiplayer lag issue in resogun and the FPS will be resolved soon.  Kinda hard to play a shooter with lots of lagg.

Great news, glad to hear its resolved! Don't forget to d/l the free games, Resogun is awesome.
Thanks, I do have PS+ and have been downloading, Resogun is pretty cool but hurts my eyes(just like super stardust) I like those types of games just they kill my eyes because I tend to now blink ha.

I will say, I don't like the download system very much, I can't pause downloads and that is really annoying. I qued up all my PS+ downloads then stuck in AC4 and it wanted to do its downloads and updates but they got qued behind all my PS store downloads and I couldn't pause the store downloads to allow the AC ones to finish. Annoying but not a huge deal of course, worth mentioning.

AC4 just blows me away though, standing up on a ledge looking down at the ocean and being able to see the texture of the sand on the sea floor, I mean wow!

Received the PS4 yesterday and works flawless!! Return that shit if it doesn't work lol. The no pausing does annoy me for the same reason.

Received the PS4 yesterday and works flawless!! Return that shit if it doesn't work lol. The no pausing does annoy me for the same reason.
I can understand that they want it to be more hands off and let the ps4 handle that sort of thing in the background but come on. If it sees I have a game disc in and am trying to play it, move that download up in the que. It does so well with the installing while letting you play and not making you wait but then they drop the ball with the downloads. These days when games are all but expected to have a day one patch to download, just assume if a disk is put in, I want that patch download to have priority....

Wish I hadn't returned mine so quickly since I can't find any available. Wish I'd gotten an Amazon replacement. Stinks knowing that I preordered in July and have nothing to show for it right now other than 2 games I can't play.

Wish I hadn't returned mine so quickly since I can't find any available. Wish I'd gotten an Amazon replacement. Stinks knowing that I preordered in July and have nothing to show for it right now other than 2 games I can't play.
I feel your pain, I was seriously worried, has amazon received your return? It wouldn't hurt to send off a polite email asking about exchanges, they may throw one out to you as well, mine was totally unexpected.

I also keep hearing that they plan to ship 3-4 million by the end of the year, I think they will start showing up in stores once all the ebay flippers realize the stock isn't drying up.

I got my refund already. It might not hurt to send a message seeing if there are others. Hoping I can get one Sunday. It's not the end of the world as I have a lot of work to get done this weekend but I would love to have it for Thanksgiving

I got the replacement PS4 up and running on both TV's without any issues.  So don't be so quick to just do a return.  The replacement came in faster than I expected and I can keep the other system until after Xmas.  For my original one, the updates actually fixed the HDMI issues.  The new replacement just worked out of the box.

Just would like to report that ever since update 1.51 my PS4 has been fine, no freezes *crosses fingers*.  My Xbox One however is making a god awful noise and will have to be shipped back to Microsoft.......FML  :wall:

bread's done
Back