My quick mini review of my ps4

suade907

CAGiversary!
I just spent about 7 hours with it so here is my 2 cents. First off my unit did work fine out of the box. But after I played a half hour of bf4 my dolby digital surround sound receiver started glitching out. I restarted the ps4 and it was fine for about 30 minutes and it started cutting out again. The signal was sporadic, I tried both dolby digital and dts and both would glitch. I then switched it to pcm with no issues. I'm hoping it's something they can fix with a software update. Anyone else have this issue?

Ok now to the good stuff. 1080p gaming looks incredible on my tv. My son and I were playing split screen cod ghosts and it was a pleasure. There was so much detail, far more than split screen on the 360. I used to dread split screen because it bothered my older eyes, but now with the image so detailed and crisp I may actually play with him more.
The ps4 interface is very snappy and a big jump forward over the ps3.
The new controller is great and this is coming from a fan of the xbox 360 controller. I was instantly comfortable. Cod plays just like on a xbox controller.

Ok now the gripes and not so good stuff.
Well my audio issues for one.
Why are the only rubber nubs on the bottom of the device in the middle. Just doesn't make sense to me.
The eject button either is horrible or doesn't work half the time.
I have about 8 or 9 games installed and I only have less than 160 gig left on the hard drive. This will be a major issue for me by june of next year.
The psn network was down but once they got it back up I've had pretty good luck.

So all in all I'm very happy. I wish the hard drive was bigger. I'm hoping this audio glitch can be fixed. My games look incredible as well as control very well. I'd say this was a pretty good launch. Any questions feel free to ask?

Limited time with it so far, but really enjoying it. NFS Rivals is fantastic. Love the integrated multiplayer.

Sony did a nice job building a family friendly device, between remote play and the option to route audio to the headset port in the DS4, the PS4 fits in perfect for those that have families and not 100% contol of the TV.

The 500gb will be a problem with digital games, not necessarily with disc based games.  Maybe it is just me but I thought that the load time to start up was quick and I would delete game files I was not using.

That being said, I did see some 2TB drives for sale that got me thinking.....

Ok so today I decided to play around with my optical audio issues. I tried a different cable and still no luck. So then I tried pulling the cable out of my receiver and watching the red light to see if it was intermittent. It stayed solid so that led me to belive the issue must of been with my reciever. The only thing I could conclude was that since I put the ps4 on top of it maybe it was overheating. So I used some wood spacers as a test and so far 4 hours later no issues. Fingers crossed but I think I have the issue licked. Since then the ps4 has performed flawlessly. My son has been enjoying the heck out of knack, reviews be damned the game looks like a pixar movie. It may not be deep for an adult but my 10 year old loves it.

500 gig is definitely gonna be a issue this gen. Even disc based games take 40gig. Not all but most.

I'm looking forward to rivals as well. My amazon wasn't able to ship it on time for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son enjoys knack as well.  I said f-it....having the redcard I went and got knack, ass-creed, and rivals....looks like my amazon items are going back.

Today I figured out a really neat feature. You can play your game audio straight through the ps4 controller if you plug in regular head phones. That is such a cool feature. Thanks for adding that sony.

I also have my optical audio issue fixed it was my reciever overheating and I also figured out how the eject button works.

So all in all the ps4 just keeps getting better.

The web browser is far better than the ps3 browser. There is no clunkiness to it. It's relatively simple to use and looks great. Scrolling down a busy page is not smooth though. It kind of jumps a little. On less busy pages it's pretty smooth. I'd still rather use a pc or tablet but they made some nice improvements to it. The zoom doesn't seem to be dynamic as far as I can tell, maybe I've missed something but it seems you can go full screen and then 2 levels of zoom further. I have yet to try any video sites or do much else with it yet. 

As far as 3d I don't know I have not noticed any 3d specific features in the settings so I'm not sure.

I don't know how many of you know this but if you plug in the mic and you can speak to your PS4 and do all the navigation.

Just say "Playstation" and a mini menu comes up to let you know more commands to say.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/basic/voice.html

I got so used to this that now I just talk through the menus.  saves a little bit of time.

One thing I don't like is you can't reorder the download queue.  And all of the games you start downloading all go at once, there are no pause options either.

And sometimes the PSN network is flaky.  I mean you can't even access the PSN store.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Had some more time with the web browser and it's definitely not as good as chrome or firefox. It won't play youtube videos or any flash. It also has some issues with complex web pages like ign.com and so on. But it's a huge upgrade over the ps3 and works pretty well for everything else.

I don't know how many of you know this but if you plug in the mic and you can speak to your PS4 and do all the navigation.

Just say "Playstation" and a mini menu comes up to let you know more commands to say.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/basic/voice.html

I got so used to this that now I just talk through the menus. saves a little bit of time.

One thing I don't like is you can't reorder the download queue. And all of the games you start downloading all go at once, there are no pause options either.

And sometimes the PSN network is flaky. I mean you can't even access the PSN store.
I got the PS Camera, so no need for that shitty dollar store headset when telling my PS4 to turn off or whatever

The 500gb will be a problem with digital games, not necessarily with disc based games.
Actually, disk based games could potentially be a problem too since they install completely to the HDD and don't just install a cache like the PS3 did. At this time 500 will be enough, but something tells me that I will be seeking out at least a 1.5TB drive in the next 6 months.

But after I played a half hour of bf4 my dolby digital surround sound receiver started glitching out. I restarted the ps4 and it was fine for about 30 minutes and it started cutting out again. The signal was sporadic, I tried both dolby digital and dts and both would glitch. I then switched it to pcm with no issues. I'm hoping it's something they can fix with a software update. Anyone else have this issue?
Better late than never. I had a similar issue with Dolby Digital and DTS. I have an older Yamaha receiver (no HDMI), so I run HDMI to my TV and audio to my receiver. I was short an optical cable, so I had been "borrowing" my 360's audio cable and had the cutting out issues. Switched back to PCM and it was fine.

I've since gotten a new Amazon Basics (great cable, btw) TOSLink cable and plugged it into a different input on my receiver. Not sure which was the answer, but I don't seem to have the glitchy Dolby and DTS anymore. I have a feeling it was the better quality cable that did the trick, but who knows--my 360 always worked fine both with that old cable and the other audio input.

Actually, disk based games could potentially be a problem too since they install completely to the HDD and don't just install a cache like the PS3 did. At this time 500 will be enough, but something tells me that I will be seeking out at least a 1.5TB drive in the next 6 months.
How does the PS4 handle disk space does it automatically make room like the Xbox One?

The very best thing about the PS4 so far is how easy it is to upgrade the hard drive.  1 Screw to remove the case.  Then it's easy to slide out the original 500GB cheap hard drive and put in a 2 TB Hybrid SSD drive.

The part that you need to follow step by step is how to re-install the OS via a USB stick.  That takes a while.  But when all said and done, I like that feature over having to void the warranty on the Xbox One to replace the hard drive.

bread's done
Back