My RPG Backlog:Pick My next game

I haven't thought about Shadow Hearts in a long while. The characters & setting were refreshingly different. The combat system is a bit similar to Lost Odyssey's ring-timing, but the random battles were painful. If you haven't played the first shadow hearts, you may want to read up on the story, as I found Covenant's story difficult to follow.

[quote name='kenzo7']I haven't thought about Shadow Hearts in a long while. The characters & setting were refreshingly different. The combat system is a bit similar to Lost Odyssey's ring-timing, but the random battles were painful. If you haven't played the first shadow hearts, you may want to read up on the story, as I found Covenant's story difficult to follow.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've beaten the first one and really enjoyed it.

If you really enjoyed the first Shadow Hearts, get the second. It's a lot better, even if it does seem like a PG-13 sequel to an R movie. I voted for Star Ocean, cuz that's what I'm most interested in myself, but I think Covenant will do good by you.

[quote name='MSUHitman']You should play Tales of Vesperia.[/QUOTE]
:applause: lol that's what im playing at the moment, seems like a good game

I chose Star Ocean. Mainly because I'm thinking about getting this myself, and I'd like to hear more opinions on it.

Blue Dragon is fun if you like super-retro RPGs. I'd go with Star Ocean though, which was a fantastic game (at least in my eyes).

just anything other than Blue Dragon. One of the worst RPGs I've ever played. It starts INCREDIBLY slow and doesn't pick up the pace until over 20 hours in.

I liked Star Ocean a lot, and I'm actually more of a Western RPG kind of guy. It's not a perfect game but the combat is really fun (and engaging), it's fairly long, with varied environments and I felt it had a nice, proper ending with some pretty cool characters.

The question is whether you can handle extremely cliched Japanese characters because all of the leads are pretty "cookie cutter" (with a few exceptions) and some of the childlike characters may irritate you to no end, "kaaay?" Also, the "side-quests" were fairly pointless, unless you are looking for achievements.

Ugh how could you mix Western RPGs and Japanese RPGs together? I don't understand why they are interchanged when they seem so different to me?

Sorry just a pet peeve of mine

;)

[quote name='CdnArmy33']Ugh how could you mix Western RPGs and Japanese RPGs together? I don't understand why they are interchanged when they seem so different to me?

Sorry just a pet peeve of mine

;)[/QUOTE]

I'm a little confused? I was saying that I liked Star Ocean despite the fact that I'm more of a Western RPG type of person. As in, Star Ocean is a JRPG:).

I grew up on Ultimas/Bardstales/Baldurs Gates and lots more. But I also played my Dragon Quest-Warriors/Final Fantasy's/Grandias/Skies of Arcadia etc etc...

[quote name='nasum']just anything other than Blue Dragon. One of the worst RPGs I've ever played. It starts INCREDIBLY slow and doesn't pick up the pace until over 20 hours in.[/QUOTE]

This.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is the no brainer of that group. As you said, you enjoyed the first one. This one will expand upon and improve upon it.

bread's done
Back