My wii's bigger than yours ... (Wii mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks cool but couldn't you have just used some 3rd party cord extenders instead of all the crazy wiring inside the box?

I had one back in the day (before Wavebirds were out) and it worked like a charm whenever I didn't want to sit INSIDE my TV to play Smash Brothers. :lol:

[quote name='Gameboy415']Looks cool but couldn't you have just used some 3rd party cord extenders instead of all the crazy wiring inside the box?[/QUOTE]

... and duct tape, right? :lol: now that would have ruined "the sexy"

[quote name='Owen']Very cool. I did not notice it posted but I am curious how much this cost to make in materials.[/QUOTE]

it was under $20 ... I'll try to dig up my receipts for stuff and get an exact amount.

[quote name='SaMiDaDrAgOn']Eh, I find it pointless since Wave Birds are far superior.[/quote]

WaveBirds suck...I'll gladly trade being wireless for the rumble feature. Especially when playing Metroid Prime (either), Resident Evil (Pick one) or Eternal Darkness. Games such as those have the the rumble feature programmed into them as integral parts of the gaming experience. But if you wanna sit 30 feet away and be able to spin like Kung Lao while playing Gamecube games, then rock on.

Dude, that is awesome. From what I can tell, you dismantled an old 'Cube or some controllers to get those plugs, then wired them with some shielded cabling; it all looks like stuff you could get from Radioshack. What was the price like with this? Looks like twenty or thirty bucks, plus the price of a dead 'Cube or some fried controllers. How far off am I?

Seriously, man, this is great. Whoever was bitching about the size needs to get some perspective; how big is the Wii, less than a square foot? Sitting next to my mammoth XBox and PS2, not to mention when I break out the Saturn or--on those special days--the Ol' Genesis, the Wii looks like it wouldn't mind a little extra bulk. And really, how hard would it be to run some extra feautures through that frame? Tack on some memory card slots, a couple USB ports and some other such fancy shit, and you've got yourself a complete WiiStation, well worth the size. Kudos, dude.

When are you going to post a write-up on this thing? I love the shots of the process, but I need some explaining. What I really want to know is, where'd you get those components? I wouldn't think they sell Gamecube ports down at the Parts Plus. Seriously, man, questions need answering.

Again, kudos, and screw those haters. They just hate those extra couple inches so badly 'cause it reminds them of FREEDOM. Also, they are Communists.

If I was going to go through all that trouble I would have put a juice maker in it.

Oh and also a big HDD, and maybe fiddled with other stuff.

Nice work!

It would be pretty useless for me, but I applaud the clean look, and the industriousness of seeing an issue and figuring out how to fix it. I did a similar thing when I wanted to get that big, honkin' WarioWare Twisted cartridge into a DS game case. Feels good when you're done. :)

I think you did a great job. I prefer the sexier look of keeping it original in its tray, but thats my opinion. At least you did what looks like a quality job on making your Wii look more Gamecubish.
And yeah, your Wii is bigger than mine................(sigh)

Awesome awesome work! I was just bitching to the wife the other day about the Gamecube controller port locations. There's no easy way for me to access them.

I also don't understand all the negativity in this thread...

It seems like a lot of hassle to move the ports to the front and ruins the clean design when you're not using the GC ports.

But it's definitely a nice job nonetheless, it looks great.:)

i sware some people are just stoubourn and spoiled. hollowfreak i think what you did is awsome. i to know the pain of trying to used wired gamecube contollers on my wii. i have mine standing up and it's right at the top of my entertainment center, so there's no room to open the flap. something like this is VERY appeling to me, don't listen to the haters! anyways if it was reasonably priced or easy to do myself i would be all for it. if you ever decide to mass produce (atleast one for me ;) ) i would be down, or if you could put a step by step instruction for it, w/ needed parts, that would be awsome as well. no matter what some people say, i think that's AWSOME! GOOD JOB!

Thats beautiful... Overkill in most cases, but very useful if you still enjoy Donkey Konga or DDR Mario.

Can you update the OP with a description of the materials used? I would seriously consider one of these for myself.

I may have to stop by the local pawnshop that has a dead GCN. I never thought it had a use until now.

EDIT: Hell I would be willing to buy one of these, if you are so inclined.

You just took a beautiful product and turned it into a frankenstein mess.

Couldn't you have wired the gamecube ports to connect to a seperate box? Without changing the basic (and beautiful) design of the console?

[quote name='PyroGamer']You just took a beautiful product and turned it into a frankenstein mess.

Couldn't you have wired the gamecube ports to connect to a seperate box? Without changing the basic (and beautiful) design of the console?[/QUOTE]

Yes I could have, but in my opinion THAT would have been a Frankenstein mess. Seriously, I tried to match the Wii's look even down to the corners. It's ridiculous how much flak I'm taking over the looks of this thing, when I don't see a user made one that's even remotely close to or better than this. :bomb:

Not my type of mod honestly (modding for modding sake that is), but if you're happy with it, congrats.

Also, I seriously doubt that anyone would mod their Wii to make it look better playing Donkey Konga or using the microphone (which you'd still have to use the top ports for anyways). I'm a bit surprised you didn't mod it further to be able to pop the memory cards in front too considering saving games is almost as important as playing them these days. It probably would have been worth the extra time to track down a dead GC to do that.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Yes I could have, but in my opinion THAT would have been a Frankenstein mess. Seriously, I tried to match the Wii's look even down to the corners. It's ridiculous how much flak I'm taking over the looks of this thing, when I don't see a user made one that's even remotely close to or better than this. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Bah, there are a fair number of us who respect the quality of this particular mod. Not too many mods have the forsight of leaving room for future upgrades (USB drives) or match the original product so closely, and on top of that its a passive modification. Ignore the complaints, this is a very well designed setup*.

Some people are just a little to ingrained in the small is better aspect of the Wii. Its nice as is of course, but unless you are using Wavebirds the Wii sucks for Gamecube games.

*I wonder if a Gameboy adapter (ala the Super Gameboy or the Gameboy Player) could be in the works and if it is what kind of form factor it would take. Unless it was like a USB memory card reader it would probably look similar to your setup.

Very nicely done.

Obviously, you felt this was something your Wii needed, as you put all the time and effort into doing it and doing it well. I can understand your reasoning and think you did an awesome job. Hats off to you. :)

[quote name='Jedi1979']can you use the wavebirds with that?[/quote]

I'm wondering that too. Can you use Wavebirds or would the receivers cover up the Wii buttons/disk slot?

It does look very cool!

[quote name='ZoneFighter']I'm wondering that too. Can you use Wavebirds or would the receivers cover up the Wii buttons/disk slot?

It does look very cool![/QUOTE]

as I mentioned I don't own any wavebirds ... if I feel ambitious, I'll buy one check it and return it. I thought I saw one at gamestop. Unless someone wants to give me one :lol: ... ok fine or just the dimensions of one ... mainly the distance from the top of the plug to the top of the dongle and maybe width and height of the dongle

[quote name='hollowfreak']as I mentioned I don't own any wavebirds ... if I feel ambitious, I'll buy one check it and return it. I thought I saw one at gamestop. Unless someone wants to give me one :lol: ... ok fine or just the dimensions of one ... mainly the distance from the top of the plug to the top of the dongle and maybe width and height of the dongle[/quote]

He said dongle . . . . . . . YAY!!!

[quote name='hollowfreak']as I mentioned I don't own any wavebirds ... if I feel ambitious, I'll buy one check it and return it. I thought I saw one at gamestop. Unless someone wants to give me one :lol: ... ok fine or just the dimensions of one ... mainly the distance from the top of the plug to the top of the dongle and maybe width and height of the dongle[/QUOTE]

Measured.

Top of the plug to the top of the reciever: 1 3/8" or 4.1cm
Width: 1 1/8" or 2.7cm
Height: 2 3/8" or 6.1cm

I would LOVE to pay you for one of these! You could easily make something like $30 off of these (charge $20 for materials and then $30 for labor)...these would be amazing! I absolutely love it and could so use it!

[quote name='foltzie']Measured.

Top of the plug to the top of the reciever: 1 3/8" or 4.1cm
Width: 1 1/8" or 2.7cm
Height: 2 3/8" or 6.1cm[/QUOTE]

thanks ... 1.375" would put the top of the dongle just about flush with the top of the buttons and the sd slot door ... so no wavebirds

... and on a side note I'm still trying to find parts to make another, ones that match eachother and that are cheap enough to be used as parts

I signed up just to reply, hollowfreak. Great cwork. Looks really great and quite functional. I do work like this as well, but I dont showcase it.

For your controller ports, have you thought about using 3rd party controller extention cables? With a little bit of work from a heat gun and screwdriver, you can pry the connectors out of casing. I have gotten GC Controller extention cables new for about $3 at a local game shop.

I didnt wana do a shameless plug, but www.BSoDtv.Org Episode 8. You can make a PCB to plug into the GC Memory card sockets, then use a cable and some card edge connectors to bring them arounf to the front. You obviousaly have some fabrication skill, so I dont think you need any intimate inspiration. Let me know how any future models turn out!

Yeah I guess this is cool if you are into wasting time on something that could have easly been solved.

Why do noobs who bump ancient topics always have the most ridiculous avatars? It's like somebody farting in your face and then turning around and slapping you.

[quote name='Scobie']Why do noobs who bump ancient topics always have the most ridiculous avatars? It's like somebody farting in your face and then turning around and slapping you.[/quote]

Wow you really sound like a winner!

[quote name='Scobie']Why do noobs who bump ancient topics always have the most ridiculous avatars? It's like somebody farting in your face and then turning around and slapping you.[/quote]

Too bad we all dont have avatars as cool as yours. Or as cool of banners as in your sig. I really do envy you.:applause: :applause: :applause:

I for one wishes there was downloadable plans for this or something. I think its wonderful. The Wii should of had the ports in the front to begin with anyway.....

... the wiring's the easy part as of late I've been replacing the smd's in my 360 controllers with blue ones now that takes skill :lol: but back to the wii mod. I've been looking for parts lately specifically extensions they aren't easy to find cheap anymore considering the gamecube is pretty much dead now and I need a specific kind. I'm trying to come up with an easier way to make the case and if I do end making anymore of these I'm considering removing the LEDs. The last time I checked if you have WiiConnect24 enabled it supplies power to the GC ports which in turn powers the LEDs all the time. I personally don't have WiiConnect24 enabled so it doesn't effect me but I just thought I'd put it out there for those of you want one of these. Like I said before this took me WEEKS to accomplish and probably the only way I'll part with it is if I make a better one.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']What is a Wii Mod?...Never heard of it[/quote]

Wii Modification. AKA, modifying your Wii.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']So what is it supposed to do for the wii anyway? It looks like they built a gamecube[/QUOTE]

Oh I don't know maybe just move the ports to the front to be used specifically with games that don't use the standard controller (Donkey Konga, DDR Mario Mix, Mario Party w/ Mic.)

I think it's great, I just wish that there were ports on the inside of the add-on box so that wavebird recievers could be plugged in and left in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back