N-Gage QD $19.99 NEW @ EB B&M + All Games $2.99 ea.

onikage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
If your EB still has any new N-Gage QDs they should now ring up @ $19.99.
I don't know how much they were before, but this seemed like a pretty good deal.

Also, all new games are now $2.99.

Edit: The QD is $49.99 @ Gamestop.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Wow, this is an absolutely INSANE price. I guarantee that it will be the best $20 you will ever spend.

The N-Gage is such a great system.[/QUOTE]

Slaps Grave. Good for like Pocket Kingdom and that's it. Don't even mention Xanadu Next now that I've seen the Nihon Falcom LE that's being sold at their site.

$5 less, no doubt. $20?...we'll see. It depends on (aside from my EB even having any, which is unlikely, actually) what games they have.

[quote name='Sarang01']Slaps Grave. Good for like Pocket Kingdom and that's it. Don't even mention Xanadu Next now that I've seen the Nihon Falcom LE that's being sold at their site.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

I may be dense, and I probably am on cell phones but I have a question. Could I get this phone and use a pre-paid card? I see people saying I would have to get it "Unlocked" and "sim-card" but I have no clue what a simcard is. Sorry if it's a stupid question, I don't know much of anythin about cell phones. I've been wanting a prepaid phone, but the phones themselves on those prepaid deals are usuallly like $120.

wow, considering i just got one (for free, added a 2nd line to the mrs' cell) and been hitting my eb for games at $6.99 (bomberman, x-men legends, kof, ssx) i wish i had waited another 2 weeks.....my local eb has 2 systems left (used) so i may pick up another for multiplayer gaming.

If you had the option of buying either the original n-gage or the n-gage QD... which one is the better of the two?

well, the original had stereo sound, fm playback, mp3 playback and mp3 ringtones, BUT you have to remove the batter to switch games. the qd is mono, missing mp3 and fm but you can switch games easily....

Instead of disowning the Sidetalkin' feature, they should have marketed it as the next cool thing in cell phones. YEAH! SIDETALKIN 4-LIFE!

[quote name='Rags']I may be dense, and I probably am on cell phones but I have a question. Could I get this phone and use a pre-paid card? I see people saying I would have to get it "Unlocked" and "sim-card" but I have no clue what a simcard is. Sorry if it's a stupid question, I don't know much of anythin about cell phones. I've been wanting a prepaid phone, but the phones themselves on those prepaid deals are usuallly like $120.[/QUOTE]
The SIM card is the small chip that you insert into your phone, usually under the battery. It holds the account information and is required to use the phone. Not all types of service use a SIM. All GSM phones (AT&T/Cingular & T-Mobile) do, as does iDEN (Nextel/Sprint) though the two are not interchangable. I believe PCS does as well. CDMA and TDMA (the older American digital cellular standards) do not use SIM cards.
There are three things to consider when looking at the interoperability of a phone. One, the type of network. Some are interoperable, but for our purposes GSM only works on GSM. This means your push to talk iDEN Nextel won't work with your T-Mobile service no matter what you do. Second is the frequency. Only iDEN and GSM are international, and iDEN uses a standard freuquency. A dual band phone generally only works in the US and parts of Asia. A tri-band phone will work anywhere in the world. Finally, if the phone is locked. Providers will usually lock a phone in the phone's firmware so that despite whatever technical capacity the phone will only work with their SIM cards. This means that you can't use a Cingular branded phone with your T-Mobile service unless it's been unlocked.
So, to sum up the answer to your question, you will be able to use this phone out of the box with Cingular service. If you unlock it (should be easy for a Nokia) you can use it on any GSM network in the US (it's only dual band) with the prepaid or month to month SIM card of any GSM provider.

[quote name='advancedgamer468']If you had the option of buying either the original n-gage or the n-gage QD... which one is the better of the two?[/quote]

The original has more features, but the QD has the brighter screen, which is the most important for me.

[quote name='ashram']well, the original had stereo sound, fm playback, mp3 playback and mp3 ringtones, BUT you have to remove the batter to switch games. the qd is mono, missing mp3 and fm but you can switch games easily....[/quote]

You can easily load an mp3 player on the QD, as well as OGGplay.

If any of you buy an N-Gage, make sure to check out www.lonelycatgames.com. They have some very nice Symbian 60 applications that are very useful.

I suggest getting SmartMovie. It comes with PC software to encode your own movies and reduces the size of a feature-length movie to about 80 mb. Also, it will flip the video to landscape mode so you can watch the video normally.

The N-Gage used multi-media cards, and you can find a 2gb for around $50-$60.

It really came in handy when I was in Iraq. I had tons of music, movies, games and ebooks on my N-Gage, and it really helped to pass the time.

There's also several really nice emulators for the system that includes SNES, NES, Gameboy, MAME and Game Gear.

Thanks for the info Damian. I may have to check these out and see if my local EBs have one. I picked up Tomb Raider on a "what the hell" moment about a year ago for 3 or 4 bucks so I have a game for it, and there are a few others that look decent for under 5 bucks. Not PSP or DS calibur, but it looks like they may give a little bit of fun for the price.

[quote name='slidecage']do you have to pay a monthly fee just to play games on this phone[/QUOTE]

No, I've never had any sort of phone service with mine and use it strictly to play games.

[quote name='slidecage']do you have to pay a monthly fee just to play games on this phone[/quote]

N-Gage Arena is free, but it's up to your phone company if they charge you to use the internet or not. I know T-Mobile has the T-Zones, which is really good for N-Gage gaming.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']N-Gage Arena is free, but it's up to your phone company if they charge you to use the internet or not. I know T-Mobile has the T-Zones, which is really good for N-Gage gaming.[/quote]

I didn't know you were back from Iraq. Welcome home!

BTW, how is the quality with OGGplay? I wouldn't mind picking up a QD if I can play some vids with it.

[quote name='shipwreck']No, I've never had any sort of phone service with mine and use it strictly to play games.[/QUOTE]

thanks might run over and look for one... aleady got a cell phone so i didnt want to be hit with another monthly fee.... i will just use the phone for cart games ... hopefully they still got some 2.99 games... I dont even see the 2.99 game on the webpage anymore

I wonder what the odds are of anyone having these. There are three EB/GS close by, and two more I can hit after work if I really need to. I want to call first, but I don't know if that's wise. If I know one of the close three has any I can hit it at lunch, so I would have to call. Otherwise I have to wait and hope after work. Damn.

man i really dont have close eb's and i wouldnt mind having a new qd..

anyone let me know if they can pick me up one and ill compensate.

I actually prefer the old original one

None in Louisville,KY either. Was hoping I found one, Thunder over Louisville is Saturday and we're down there all day. Woulda been a great time passer.

Well that sucked. I called 4 of the 5. EB doesn't have any, two of the GS didn't have any and one GS had them for $100. I would say that this is EB only and good luck finding them. I have one EB left to call (line was busy) but I'm not particularly hopeful.

[quote name='Damian']Well that sucked. I called 4 of the 5. EB doesn't have any, two of the GS didn't have any and one GS had them for $100. I would say that this is EB only and good luck finding them. I have one EB left to call (line was busy) but I'm not particularly hopeful.[/QUOTE]
did they get the price from the box or for the computer? as sometimes they won't even update the price on the box or bother checking the computer.

[quote name='ashram']did they get the price from the box or for the computer? as sometimes they won't even update the price on the box or bother checking the computer.[/QUOTE]
I don't know. I called, she put me on hold for 30 seconds or so and came back with $100.

Ok, I've called nearly every EBGames in my ENTIRE STATE OF SC and cannot find one. I've been trying to find a cheap one forever, and if someone is willing to pick up a spare than PM me...you'd be a Godsend!

I called all the local EB's and they didnt have. The first GS I called had. He said they have the prepaid ones and they rang up for $49.99. Im assuming the ones that are $19.99 at EB are the prepaid because after awhile thats all Nokia sold. So is this guy at GS wrong with the price? Anyone call GS's but them?

Also I just looked on GS's website and it says that the preowned ones are $49.99. Maybe thats what the guy at the GS was talking about. I will have to call back.

Edit: Nope it's the new one.

called a few other ebs and gamestops about games...

games are ringing up 4.99 to 19.99

phones if they had them (ALL OUT) 99.99

seems these prices are online or just local

[quote name='slidecage']called a few other ebs and gamestops about games...

games are ringing up 4.99 to 19.99

phones if they had them (ALL OUT) 99.99

seems these prices are online or just local[/QUOTE]

Doh! $100 for the system?

I called up my EB and this was the conversation.

Me: Do you guys have the N-Gage QD in stock?
Guy: Is that for PS2?
Me: No, its a handheld system/cell phone.
Guy: Um.... No, I never heard of it.
Me: Thanks, Bye.

I guess, I am going down that way this evening, and I will check it out.

The things still sell on Ebay for like $40.

[quote name='heavy liquid']So has anyone else found out if this is EB only or if Gamestop is also selling it for $20?[/QUOTE]
The only Gamestop that had any quoted me $100 too. I think this deal is turning out to be a pipe dream. There must be a handful of QD's left in the old EBGames system and this is how they purge them. No one has yet reported getting one, including the OP.

Like i said earlier the guy that i spoke to at GS rang it through the computer and it said $49.99. And I called about 8 EBs nobody had them in stock.

I called a GS store that stocks N-Gage (or at least did at one time), and they didn't have any QD systems in stock. I asked the guy to look up the price in the system, and he said he only saw the used systems for $50. He couldn't find a listing for new QDs in the system anywhere. Not sure what to make of that. But he did sound like he knew what he was doing, so I tend to believe him.

This is sounding very YMMV, not just when it comes to finding one, but also because of what they might ring up as if you were to find one. The OP might have just come across a store clearancing them out on their own accord. My advice is to actually go to the store and have them ring it up, assuming you find a store that has one.

I'll give it a try at lunch today. I was heading there anyway to look for some of the $5 TV Games that sold out on the site yesterday. I'll report back what I find out, which might not be much if they don't have any QDs in stock.

Called 2 EBs in Medina area, no luck there. The GS I called had them in stock, person said they had just dropped to $50 new. Oh well.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yes.[/QUOTE]
How can it work with Sprint? Sprint uses different signaling than GSM.

I also called gamestop(where I happon to work), and I was also told the price dropped to $50 for the new system.

Follandboy-you have some really smart employees working at that store.

Before yesterday I knew very little about the N-Gage, so I'm not sure if this will help or not. The system which I bought for $20 has a sleeve over the box promoting an "Unleashed Adventure Sweepstakes". Also, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater came free with the system.

I called all of my local stores, and nobody near me carries any N-gage stuff (system or games) anymore. For $20 new, I definitely would have picked one up. :(

[quote name='onikage']Before yesterday I knew very little about the N-Gage, so I'm not sure if this will help or not. The system which I bought for $20 has a sleeve over the box promoting an "Unleashed Adventure Sweepstakes". Also, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater came free with the system.[/quote]

Does it come with any company-specific SIM card or is it the one that comes with a Nokia dummy SIM?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Does it come with any company-specific SIM card or is it the one that comes with a Nokia dummy SIM?[/quote]

It's a Nokia dummy SIM card.

[quote name='Madskills1182']Like i said earlier the guy that i spoke to at GS rang it through the computer and it said $49.99. And I called about 8 EBs nobody had them in stock.[/quote]

I can verify the new N-Gage QD systems are $49.99 at Gamestop, I bought one earlier this morning. The lady working thought it was funny that I called, then came in and bought it, given that she just marked them down last night. I was thinking it was gonna be $20, but she said they had just been marked down from $100 yesterday. I wasn't that excited about getting it for $50, but it's brand new, and had bought 8 or 10 games a few months back w/o owning the system. At least I don't have to look for one now.

bread's done
Back