N64 game case project - live!

Wow, that's awesome! One of the guys at digitpress upped some stuff too, I think out of irony Purkeynator also upped the same ones, but oh well - then they can just choose whatever is easiest/best to work with.

Nate

Awesome, guys! Thanks for the uploads!

Anyway, I'm between cities right now, so I don't have much time to create the covers from the raw files. It doesn't take too long, so I guess I could write up a 'guide' or something about how to create them from the raw scans. It'll take me a little while to get to that. I'm upgrading a friend's business network this weekend, so I'll have a little less free time.

As for a SNES cover project, well, that's up to whoever wants to tackle that. It's gonna be mighty tough to find scans for those, as it's hard enough to find N64 covers. I have quite a few boxes from SNES laying around, though. But personally, I can't split my efforts 3 ways, as it is split between the GBA project and this one right now.

Anyway, I'll have some more free time in an hour or so, I think. Have to wait for the business to close before I can go there to rework their network.

I concur with slash on the snes project. I would start a seperate thread for snes, but I want to stay focused on n64. I really think we can have a complete set of n64 by the end of summer.

Nate

I'll third that. Once we get our N64 collections cased, we can turn our attention to SNES. Slash, if you can write up those conversion guidelines, we can help you churn through the raw scans.

OK, sure thing. I'll start right now.

Just uploaded:

Mario Party

Mario Party 2

Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards

I haven't added them to the photo album, though, because this connection is having trouble working with it for some reason. So someone else could put those in the album, if they like.

OK, I'll write out some detailed instructions.

edit; I almost finished writing and illustrating the instructions, but then I had to leave to come here and work on this business network. I'll finish later tonight.

OK...

So, I only have Paint Shop Pro, and it's all I know how to use...

So the guide I created is specifically for Paint Shop Pro. However, someone skilled in PhotoShop could easily take the directions and adapt them to work in PhotoShop, as it has all the same abilities (and more), but located/called different things.

Could someone take this guide and adapt it for Photoshop and/or Gimp?

Otherwise, if you have Paint Shop Pro, then here's a fairly specific guide on creating covers for this project:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2456150/N64_guide.zip.html

You click that link, scroll to the very bottom, and click the Free button. On the following page, you have to wait almost a minute before it lets you download the file. There is a counter at the bottom, then the link to download appears after the ~1 minute timer runs out.

Maybe someone has a better hosting solution for a guide that's 13 megs....?

Anyway, that's it. I could make a more brief one, if anyone wants it.

I put it on my website, you can get it here instead w/o all the hoops =)

www.ukbeats.com/N64_guide.zip

Also I updated the list of all the covers we have. Even if they aren't final (we just have raw scans) I still marked them as Yes we have it (because it will get done eventually). That way we don't have people uploading the same things twice.

www.ukbeats.com/n64list.htm

We've got 85% (255) more NTSC covers to go!

Nate

You forgot to cross out 007: The World is Not Enough, as we have that cover ;)

Otherwise, good job with the list, it's nice. And thanks for moving the paintshop guide.

Thanks slash - that is a very detailed guide. I have a question about the cropping though.

Why do you specify that "Maintain aspect ratio" should be unchecked? If we crop each box slightly differently (due to the scans having different edge problems and the spine art being different), won't the images get stretched a bit in one direction or the other if the aspect ratio is forced to 2100 x 1536? Wouldn't it be better to keep the aspect ratio and just change the smaller size, and then crop out any extra?

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong though. Any further advice would be great.

Edit: Well, for the very first I am attempting (Donkey Kong 64) I see the scan is actually smaller than the desired final size. I guess that's why you just let it stretch when resizing it?

Well, I uploaded my first attempt (DK64) to the ukbeats gallery. It came out ok, but has two issues:

1) The letters in the red bar are anti-aliased for a more orangey-red color, and they still have some of that color in them. I couldn't get the tolerance exactly where I wanted it for the red fill to fix that without causing other issues. In retrospect, maybe I should have just set it much higher. This could probably still be fixed.

2) There's some extra gray fro mthe original scan between the back cover and the spine that I didn't notice until I had put everything together.

[quote name='Backlash']Why do you specify that "Maintain aspect ratio" should be unchecked? If we crop each box slightly differently (due to the scans having different edge problems and the spine art being different), won't the images get stretched a bit in one direction or the other if the aspect ratio is forced to 2100 x 1536? Wouldn't it be better to keep the aspect ratio and just change the smaller size, and then crop out any extra?[/quote]

Well, there's a couple of reasons for unchecking Maintain Aspect Ratio. The primary reason is that the front/back of the Mediashelving cases are just barely a bit wider than the normal boxes, in terms of aspect ratio. So to keep the original box art and still make it fit, it has to stretch just a little. It's a negligible amount. Otherwise, it would require cropping the cases to exactly 1536x2100, which is really difficult; or, cropping an approximately equal ratio and leaving out the extra, which results in probably more work than the resulting benefit, especially when letting it stretch a tiny bit is virtually unnoticeable. This was the same situation with the GBA cover project; the cover had to be stretched just a tiny bit in order to fit the cases perfectly. It just saves time/effort/confusion.

Edit: Well, for the very first I am attempting (Donkey Kong 64) I see the scan is actually smaller than the desired final size. I guess that's why you just let it stretch when resizing it?

Some of the scans are a tad smaller than the desired size, which resizing fixes. As long as the scans are made at 300 DPI at least, they should still come out perfectly clear as case covers. When all of the main boxart is cropped, resizing it to exactly the required box size makes piecing it all together extremely convenient.

Anyway, if there's anything confusing about the guide that I need to clear up, I will. It'd still be nice to have a PhotoShop and/or a Gimp guide, too, but that can wait, I guess. I might download GIMP to see how well it stacks up against PaintShop (Gimp is a freeware open-source image editor that has a lot of the same features as PhotoShop/PaintShop).

[quote name='Backlash']Well, I uploaded my first attempt (DK64) to the ukbeats gallery. It came out ok, but has two issues:

1) The letters in the red bar are anti-aliased for a more orangey-red color, and they still have some of that color in them. I couldn't get the tolerance exactly where I wanted it for the red fill to fix that without causing other issues. In retrospect, maybe I should have just set it much higher. This could probably still be fixed.
[/quote]
It's too much trouble to aim for every tiny bit of off-color around the text. The little tiny bits of orangish color won't be noticeable at all when it's printed out. So I'd say it's fine.

2) There's some extra gray fro mthe original scan between the back cover and the spine that I didn't notice until I had put everything together.

I can see it now, but I'd say that it's also a minor, negligible thing. The grey on the back cover will be at the edge, and between that and being cut probably won't be noticeable. The spine's greyish area will fall right about where the corner of the case bends, so I don't think that's a big deal either. Either way, these grey areas are kind of camoflauged.

Overall, I'd say you did a really good job. You can fix the grey areas if you like, but personally I'd say you did great and you should start on your next one.

Actually I noticed one problem that everyone makes when they first create a cover --

You forgot to tell the new image for the whole cover to be 300 DPI when you created it, so the cover you uploaded is set at 72 DPI, which means it will print really large. I'll fix that real quick. But just remember that for the big image that you piece everything together on, to make sure to tell it 3366x2100 at 300 DPI.

edit: I can't figure out how to delete the previous DK64 cover.. if that's even possible. So.. there's a 300 DPI one and an identical 72 DPI one in the completed covers album...

I deleted the wrong dpi one. I have the album set up so only I can delete out of the "final" directory. I thought that was best so no one would intentionally or accidentally (somehow) go in there and delete all the final ones. I also reorder them to be in alphabetical order (which is becoming a bit of a pain since we're getting a lot of them, but oh well).

Great job on the Donkey Kong cover BTW, a much needed one =)

Nate

Hey all, i saw a link here from Digitpress and thought i'd help out the cause. i just uploaded raw scans of:

hey you pikachu
south park: chefs luv shack
Armorines project swarm

unfortunately those are my only boxed games. also do you have any cases left? i'd like to buy a few.

[quote name='SuperNES']Hey all, i saw a link here from Digitpress and thought i'd help out the cause. i just uploaded raw scans of:

hey you pikachu
south park: chefs luv shack
Armorines project swarm

unfortunately those are my only boxed games. also do you have any cases left? i'd like to buy a few.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton for the raw scans! Anything helps!

As for cases, maybe you and PRMega can work something out? He was asking for some cases earlier, too. If the two of you, and/or maybe one other person split them, it could come to a reasonable cost.

I will send people cases (at cost + shipping) once I get a little more organized with things here. Eariler I had said $2-3 a case, I just didn't want to get a ton of requests. I'll even print the things out on legal paper (w/ laserjet) for you at no extra cost (you can cut them though) - so long as you don't want like a ton of them. Just give me until next weekend, msg me on digitpress now w/how many cases + what you need printed and I'll tell you when they're sent (probably next saturday). You may want to wait until those 3 boxes you made get made into cases though. You can just paypal me or whatever.... same nick on digitpress for me as here.

Also, updated the list of what we need at www.ukbeats.com/n64list.htm
Nate

Wow, currently 117 images in the raw scans directory. I believe 2 of them are duplicates (I would say choose the better scan) and 1 (perfect dark) we already have.

Minus those 9 images and we've got 108 images, which means 36 boxes pending!!

I've only done basic stuff in psp and photoshop, but I'll try to read the guide over tonight since this seems to be a bottleneck right now in things. I again updated the list (link in my post above) of what we have & are missing. I put in the Notes column if we have a PAL cover. Once NTSC gets near complete, I'll add the actual tracking for PAL covers, but I think right now we should stay focused on these 297 (245 to go!).

Nate

I can maybe do some more conversions this weekend, but right now I am slammed at work. Where are all the GBA ppl? Don't they have N64 games? :)

[quote name='Backlash']I can maybe do some more conversions this weekend, but right now I am slammed at work. Where are all the GBA ppl? Don't they have N64 games? :)[/QUOTE]

I did about half or so of the GBA covers myself :). (see the "Original Design By" author under each one ;)).

Anyway, I finally got my computer desk built, so I can comfortably make these covers now, which should expedite things for me. Ironically, my motherboard died about an hour after I had everything up and running on the new desk, lol. Good thing I had a spare motherboard+processor in the closet! So I'm back in business.

Oh yeah, something else I wanted to mention was that if we ever run out on the boxes people have to scan (which will happen eventually), there's always an alternative, heh.

[quote name='slash000']Oh yeah, something else I wanted to mention was that if we ever run out on the boxes people have to scan (which will happen eventually), there's always an alternative, heh.[/QUOTE]

Ok I'm clueless, what's the alternative? All I see is n64 boxes that we don't have final or raw scans for??? Are those just the spines or something from logo art?

Nate

[quote name='nate1749']Ok I'm clueless, what's the alternative? All I see is n64 boxes that we don't have final or raw scans for??? Are those just the spines or something from logo art?
[/QUOTE]

Well, after we get as many 300 DPI scans as possible, anything we're missing we can put together from various places on the web. But we can worry about that later after as many people as possible have covers to scan and upload into the raw or completed albums.

I'm still not sure what SnowCone's plan is for an N64 section on his site... He's been busy lately, but, I d'no. Maybe he's waiting for more completed covers before he creates an official section for them.

I'm gonna create some covers from the raw files after I submit an assignment I have for class tonight. Man, that raw scan album was the best idea ever.

Yeah it seems to be working out pretty well. The ftp would be too cluttered and unorganized, seeing the thumbnails is really nice & since no one has to actually update any html I think it's great that you actually see your stuff online instantly.

I really think we will get all the covers for n64 though. The specs for this project were really only set on 6/1 and I bet we'll be over 20% complete by the end of June. If it comes down to it I'll just buy what we need off eBay, but there is more than a few guys with almost complete (or complete) n64 sets on digitpress.com.

Some of the people just don't want to help out right now because it's too early, why upload covers when someone else could do the same one. Of course that mindset makes it so nothing gets scanned in, but we'll see.

Nate

Wow...this project is freakin' awesome! I love the look of those. But $40 just for cases...a bit steep! I'm going to have to sell some doubles of games I have to make that work.

But wow, this is definitely something I'm interested in checking out. I hate how N64 games look when you have them stacked on a shelf...how the hell are you supposed to know what game it is?!

Indeed, I think it's pretty possible we'll get all the N64 (USA) covers, or at least 95% of them, since there aren't too too many. Good point about people who don't quite want to help yet, since all the 'common covers' are getting submitted right now; hopefully they'll start chipping in after we get most of the initial flow of raw scans converted.

Anyway, I just completed these two covers:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Tennis

I will upload them tomorrow.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I hate how N64 games look when you have them stacked on a shelf...how the hell are you supposed to know what game it is?![/QUOTE]

Exactly! That's the primary reason I wanted to work on this cover project :)

Secondary reasons being, of course, for game preservation and to get cover art for games that I lost the boxes to, or bought used and didn't ever have the boxes for.

Submit raw scans if you have any!

[quote name='WinnieThePujols'] But $40 just for cases...a bit steep! [/QUOTE]

It's 50 something + shipping makes it about ~$65 for 100 cases. That's 100 though (so about 65 cents a piece) - how many do you need? You can buy 100 and sell your extras on here or if you only need a few buy them off someone who has bought 100 pack.

Nate

[quote name='nate1749']It's 50 something + shipping makes it about ~$65 for 100 cases. That's 100 though (so about 65 cents a piece) - how many do you need? You can buy 100 and sell your extras on here or if you only need a few buy them off someone who has bought 100 pack.

Nate[/QUOTE]

The 100 pack only cost me $55 after shipping, so $.55 each. I believe the company ships from CA, so it depends on how far you are from them.

I just created 2 versions of Mario Kart 64. One has a red spine like the other N64 games, and one has a gold spine because it's a player's choice game.

I'll upload it when I upload Majora's Mask and Mario Tennis a little later.

Since we're keeping everything in the album right now (hopefully SnowCone will make a searchable db or something later) and Nate has that great list, I guess I'm just gonna change the OP to link to Nate's list and the Final Version album on his ukbeats site. Or is it worth trying to keep the OP updated with the direct links to snackbar-games?

::shrug:: it's up to you since you're the one who has to update the OP. I'm not going anywhere, nor is my host (paid for it on a yearly basis) . Currently I'm only using about 2% of my bandwidth and space so that's not an issue at all.

I just like how it's updated instantly and anyone can update it (not bottlenecked by one person). The only reason I put the final album there was as a backup to snackbar and so I'd have an easy place to access them for myself.

I've also been manually sorting the final ones in alphabetical order, but I just found a preference that does it automatically. So if you upload to the final album you have to go to the correct page (rather than the 1st one) that it was sorted to if you'd like to view it.

Also, I forgot to mention (this isn't important), but I made a subdomain (little more "official" than a directory) so http://n64.ukbeats.com or http://ukbeats.com/n64 whatever you want to put in the OP doesn't matter to me, they both go to the same place.

Nate

edit: it doesn't sort them alpha upon uploading, I just have to login and click "sort." So when you upload they will be at the beginning of the album until I sort it.

You should probably go ahead and link to the final vsn album and the list. Not sure what Snowcone's up to right now. But it's up to you to keep updating the list on the OP. It's a nice little thing to have, but if we do manage to get 200+ covers that list is gonna get long, heheh.

I'll pm snowcone.

[quote name='Backlash']S(hopefully SnowCone will make a searchable db or something later) [/QUOTE]

The final photo album is sorted alphabetically, but you can also do searches on both albums (unfortunately not just on one - at least not that I can figure out).

When you're at http://n64.ukbeats.com in the top right you will see a Search box, enter something in there and you'll get results. Currently it just uses the captions and any specific keywords that I add. I haven't added keywords for all of them (but I have some), but let's say you search James Bond, you'll receive these two results:

007: The World Is Not Enough
GoldenEye 007

Even though neither has james or bond in the caption - I just manually added those keywords (you see the keywords that were added, if any, in the results)

You do not need to be signed in to do searches.
I'm liking this free open source gallery thing more and more =)

Nate

Hi, im new here, and hopefully im not going to fuck up my first post.

anyway, i found this thread through a PA forum link, and was planning on obtaining some of these cases soon (i have a few bare n64/snes games lying around, and lord know how many gb(a) games scattered round the house). i was wondering though, all the links on the first post to snackbar end in a 404. any reason why this is happenng?

also, small request to you scanners out there - if any of you happen to have the box to Goemons Great Adventure, i would kill for one of you to get that scanned and converted soon.

[quote name='Zapf']Hi, im new here, and hopefully im not going to fuck up my first post.

anyway, i found this thread through a PA forum link, and was planning on obtaining some of these cases soon (i have a few bare n64/snes games lying around, and lord know how many gb(a) games scattered round the house). i was wondering though, all the links on the first post to snackbar end in a 404. any reason why this is happenng?

also, small request to you scanners out there - if any of you happen to have the box to Goemons Great Adventure, i would kill for one of you to get that scanned and converted soon.[/QUOTE]

Hey Zapf, you probably found this place through one of my links, heh.

Anyway, the Snackbar links are broken because SnowCone has finally gotten a chance to create something similar to the GBA project for this... Said he'd code something for it tomorrow.

What you should do is go to this online gallery, and look around the Final Covers album:

http://n64.ukbeats.com/

That's where all the covers are currently stored, as well as raw scans submitted by people on the internet for us to convert into covers.

Submit some box scans if you have any!

edit: speaking of snackbar, since the links are disfunctional right now, BackLash you should probably take them off the OP.

I just completed:

Mario Party 3

and earlier:

Yoshi's Story.

I forgot to save Yoshi's Story onto my memory card, so I can't upload it right now. I am uploading Mario Party 3, however.

And I"ll delete the raw files for those 2 covers while I"m at it. I'll upload Yoshi tomorrow.

(I'm still uploading covers to snackbar, because hopefully snowcone's getting them and preparing them for whatever section he's making at his site)

Ok I finally updated the OP. Thanks guys.

Also, I printed that DK 64 cover. It looks fine, I think. It's amazing how you can obsess about defects when you're zoomed in 800% that you don't even notice when it's printed. :)

EDIT: Anothre example: I just noticed Mario has a big blackhead on his nose for Mario Party 3 :lol:

Wow I just checked the raw gallery - tons of scans in there right now. We have our work cut out for us! Someone actually uploaded Gauntlet Legends! I thought I'd have to wait quite awhile for that one (I'm one of the few people who own and like that game). I think all I'm waiting for now is The New Tetris and South Park Rally.

On another note, since we're noting the PAL games separately on the list, we might also want to note the Player's Choice games (e.g. Mario Kart 64). Slash made the back cover red for that but of course the front is still not the original. It doesn't really bother me -- it still looks great on my shelf -- but given a choice I'd rather have the original.

Agreed on the player's choice thing. I'll put that in the notes, but we'll still keep it as Yes we have it - once we get all the covers done then we can go back and nit pick specific ones.

Nate

Yargh! I did most of Gauntlet Legends, but I just could not get the red bar on the back cover to fill in without messing up the letters (the anti-aliasing starts filling in and eating away at the letters). I put the mostly done cover in the raw scans album if someone wants to finish it up. I did spend a lot of time taking out the scan/box defects, at least.

[quote name='Backlash']Also, I printed that DK 64 cover. It looks fine, I think. It's amazing how you can obsess about defects when you're zoomed in 800% that you don't even notice when it's printed. :)

EDIT: Anothre example: I just noticed Mario has a big blackhead on his nose for Mario Party 3 :lol:[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I learned this when doing GBA covers.. although I'm a little annoyed at myself for missing the black mark on Mario's nose.. dammit.. I was using a low-res computer when I did it, since my web connection went down. Oh well! Anyway, the small defects really do disappear when it's printed.

[quote name='Backlash']Yargh! I did most of Gauntlet Legends, but I just could not get the red bar on the back cover to fill in without messing up the letters (the anti-aliasing starts filling in and eating away at the letters).[/QUOTE]

In the future, if that's giving you problems, just reduce the Tolerance on the flood fill. It might give you some more work to do with deleting defects with the lasso, but at least it won't mess up the letters. Sometimes you have to do it in parts, too.

It all depends on the quality of the scan and original box. Sometimes the box/scan is really neat and clean, and floodfilling the red bar pretty much works perfectly.

If the box/scan is kinda miscolored or bend etc, floodfilling can be kind of tricky.

I forgot to upload Yoshi.. I might have to do that monday.

Not to stray too far from the scanning of covers at hand, but...

Someone at digitpress.com asked how the instruction booklet is secured. I told him that it wasn't, you just move it to the side after you open the case. I thought there might be a better solution though, so today I went to hobby lobby and found 3 possible solutions.

The solution (imo) cannot damage the instruction booklet at all and must be completely removable from the booklet and case (not as important).

First I bought clear adhesive dots. They're basically like little pieces of glue and my idea was to stick them to the back of the booklet and then attach the booklet to the case. I found it worked best to use 2 dots, one at the top on the spine edge, and one near the bottom on the spine edge. This seems to actually work really well. I can easily remove the booklet, look at it, and then easily stick it right back on the inside of the case. However, I bought the paper thin adhesive dots, so removing them from the booklet permanently (they stick to the paper and not the plastic) was difficult. I also bought the new ultra strength formula, which is not what I want (but all they had).

Therefore, permanently removing the dot was kind of a pain and I slightly scratched the back of the booklet. So this idea isn't any good (can damage booklet), unless I go back and buy the 3d dots (thicker so should be easier to remove) and those aren't as sticky I don't believe (so they shouldn't damage the booklet at all when removed). However, I'd still be a little worried if it was stuck for say a year, and then you tried to remove it. I think even the not-so-sticky kind might cause damage to the paper (if attempting to permanently remove the dot from the paper). Another downside is if you put the booklet down on say the table, then when you pick it up it kind of sticks to whatever - this is just kind of gross and annoying - plus it loses it's strength.

Another solution I came across was velcro strips. Easily can remove & put the booklet back and not have to worry about a sticky mess, but then the velcro strip would forever be attached to the back of the booklet (and case). So this idea is no good unless I find something that I can attach to the back of the velcro strip and the booklet w/o damaging it upon permanent removal.

The final solution (I never knew it existed, just came across) seems the most promising... Photo corners. These are little sticky things that you place in the plastic case and then the booklet slides into it. These would work great IF the top and bottom of the booklet clears the inside plastic, but it doesn't (only the top), so I had to put the corners in the top left and the top right. Once I got the booklet in there it worked quite well. Since the booklet just slides in there no damage will be done to it and they aren't really that sticky (I wish they actually were a little more) so I was able to easily peel them off the inside of the plastic case (for permanent removal).

The problem is these corners are made for a photo, not a booklet thats as thick as a small stack of photos. Therefore, it was kind of a pain to get the booklet in there. I think this is the better solution so long as I can find a photo corner that has a little more depth to it. I very rarly would remove the booklet to view it, so the hassle of getting it back in there isn't that bad. However, I would still like something a little friendlier.

Anyways, I'm sure most people could care less about this - I mean really how hard is it to move the booklet. I just had some free time today and I had to go get an exacto knife anyways. The exacto knife is WAY WAY better than the sword-type of paper cutter.

Let me know what you guys think of the booklet idea. Oh 250 black photo corners (which would be enough for 125 booklets) was $2.99. 300 Adhesive dots were $3.99. Velcro was the pricest (I bought these because I think I'm going to make labels for my cd cases since they all look the same and I have so many) - 6 velcro dots $.74, 3 velcro squares were $.74. The generic brand contained 6 dots and 6 squres plus a velcro strip and that was $.97.

Conclusion: If you only have a few games and don't care that a velcro strip will forever be on the back of the booklet than velcro is the way to go. If you have a lot of games and don't care that upon permanent removal (not temporary which would be just to view it) a little color may be removed from the booklet then the adhesive dots would be the way to go. For people who care about the booklets then I'd say the photo corners is the right answer - which is what I'm focusing on. I'll go try to find some different brands/types that are friendlier.

Nate

edit: I'll post pics in a bit

Keeping the booklets in place really isn't an issue for me, but if I can think of something or come across something that might work, I'll post the idea.

I'm out of town right now. I'll be back home tomorrow and get some covers made.

I don't play my N64 games enough to worry about moving the booklet out of the way each time, but thanks for the tips nontheless. I'm sure others will use them.

[quote name='Backlash']Don't forget to accomodate other systems, like the upcoming SNES cover project ;)[/QUOTE]
Is this something you guys are going to actually move forward with?

bread's done
Back