N64 game case project - live!

[quote name='SMMM']Another suggestion would be to set up user pages for contributors, to show what/how much they've contributed. Like Valeman, I'm no programmer so that's probably too hard/time consuming....I just wanted to see how much Valeman's contributed (must be in hundreds somewhere). lol[/quote]

ROFL ..... I checked my imageshack page and it currently stands at 216 images. Taking off a few for misc stuff I think it still comes up on the high side of 200. Jeez ....

Still .... I may have contributed a heap more than 100 scans personally taking into account the volume of PAL covers submitted and a big volume of US ... but there's still 70+ probably where you guys submitted raw scans and I merely created the cover ..... so kudo's to everyone whose contributed to get us to where we are today.

And big thanks to Snowcone andSnack-bar for providing the web-hosting space for all this stuff. My covers directory stands at 1.8gb's so I know there's some cost for storing this stuff and bandwidth for downloads etc.

UPDATE: While I was in the mood I decided to whack up Schenley's Nightmare Creatures .....

[quote name='Snowcone']Thanks for the feedback. When I start doing the database design this week I will account for all of those things and see if we can't get a pretty decent site online. With the whole facts and figures and release date info I will definitely need some help on the administration part of things. Do I have any immediate volunteers? :)[/quote]

I'd be happy to pitch in ... after all ... manuals, covers, labels etc ... gotta have something else to fill in the time on top of all those eh :)

Schenley or SMMM ..... might you guys have some time too? Plenty of info on the games on the interweb ... just a matter of searching it all out.

UPDATE: Here's Schenley's A Bug's Life ..... finally ....

And my games arrived today .... 1st up is NBA In the Zone '98 .........

Another treat ... NFL Blitz 2001 to now finish off ALL the blitz games on N64 ......

And lastly for tonight is NFL Quarterback Club 2000 ..........

One to go .... California Speed ... I'll get that up tomorrow sometime. That's my lot until I've paid this set off....

[quote name='TheValeman']And big thanks to Snowcone andSnack-bar for providing the web-hosting space for all this stuff. My covers directory stands at 1.8gb's so I know there's some cost for storing this stuff and bandwidth for downloads etc.[/QUOTE]

The covers directory alone shows 4GB of images as it stands on our host.

Wow this is really exciting. My main suggestion would be to just focus on making the best covers site possible for now, rather than trying to make a site that encompasses too much. The game info idea is neat, but IMO you're better off focusing on one major service, at least to start with.

That's the plan backlash. Get a nice solid foundation and then move from there and add features until we crush everyone.

In my searching I did find a site with some decent scans, but I am not sure how that would play out being a competitor.

http://www.covergalaxy.com is the only site that seems like a major player in this market. All the other sites are out there to make money and shove ads in your face first and then provide covers.

[quote name='Snowcone']That's the plan backlash. Get a nice solid foundation and then move from there and add features until we crush everyone.

In my searching I did find a site with some decent scans, but I am not sure how that would play out being a competitor.

http://www.covergalaxy.com is the only site that seems like a major player in this market. All the other sites are out there to make money and shove ads in your face first and then provide covers.[/QUOTE]

A big problem with Covers Galaxy though is that they're all/most are direct scans. They don't seem too fond of templates. Notice how they're all different sizes and such. Plus, the site design is pretty awful.

Yep. The nice thing about these projects, and your new site, is that they are about covers, not just scans. The jpgs are tailored to look like each other (in most cases) and to be used in very specific cases. Your site should definitely have an extensive faq and how-to section regarding both using the covers (how to print, where to buy cases, etc) and how to contribute (how to scan, how to edit to the template specifications, etc).

[quote name='Backlash']Yep. The nice thing about these projects, and your new site, is that they are about covers, not just scans. The jpgs are tailored to look like each other (in most cases) and to be used in very specific cases. Your site should definitely have an extensive faq and how-to section regarding both using the covers (how to print, where to buy cases, etc) and how to contribute (how to scan, how to edit to the template specifications, etc).[/quote]

Instructions on how to make covers? Yep ......

However, the way we're going at present we'll have all the covers done for N64 really soon now. Once I've paid off the games I just purchased I'll be buying another lot for the cause. wshbrngr has chimed in with some nice covers also recently so momentum is going nicely at present. Schenley also has a few more to go from his recent purchases. Nate is AWOL but has also purchased covers too.....

Still .... must be a bazillion GBA covers and NDS and so forth .... dont think I could afford to help out there so getting people onto those covers is probably higher priority than N64 at present....

[quote name='TheValeman']Instructions on how to make covers? Yep ......

Still .... must be a bazillion GBA covers and NDS and so forth .... dont think I could afford to help out there so getting people onto those covers is probably higher priority than N64 at present....[/QUOTE]

I'd think the priority would be games that are commonly found without cases/boxes. Most people probably have their NDS cases still (I'd hope). GBA, SNES, even old-school NES would be more helpful to most people, I think.

Probably PS1 as well, since those are very commonly found as disc-only. Of course, the cases for PS1 are just CD cases, so it wouldn't take nearly as much work to fix up scans.

I will focus just as much on how to make these covers as presenting them. I am also going to setup a forum for discussion and I was even thinking of setting up an app for you guys to manage which games we had done and which we still needed as well as FTP space for you to manage raw scans etc.

[quote name='Backlash']Probably PS1 as well, since those are very commonly found as disc-only. Of course, the cases for PS1 are just CD cases, so it wouldn't take nearly as much work to fix up scans.[/QUOTE]

If you want them in DVD cases it will :)

[quote name='Snowcone']If you want them in DVD cases it will :)[/quote]

I've always been of the opinion that things like PS1 and Dreamcast would be better served by getting hi-quality scans of the original cases as opposed to creating DVD cases. I can see the point for N64 boxes to get better protection than the cardboard offers and the fact that the original boxes die due to their fragile nature.

However, CD cases are common as muck and sites like www.cdcovers.cc often have covers with wide variances in quality. And covers with just the front etc. So I think we an opportunity to differentiate our project just as much by offering hi-quality scans due to having members using a consistent approach in scanning etc.

That's just my opinion however.

[quote name='TheValeman']I've always been of the opinion that things like PS1 and Dreamcast would be better served by getting hi-quality scans of the original cases as opposed to creating DVD cases. I can see the point for N64 boxes to get better protection than the cardboard offers and the fact that the original boxes die due to their fragile nature.

However, CD cases are common as muck and sites like www.cdcovers.cc often have covers with wide variances in quality. And covers with just the front etc. So I think we an opportunity to differentiate our project just as much by offering hi-quality scans due to having members using a consistent approach in scanning etc.

That's just my opinion however.[/quote]

+1 for me.

I have over 100 PSX games all with the instructions and in the CD cases.
The cd cases are easy & cheap, you just have to locate the totally clear ones, which I find at Walmart. I personally do not see the advantage (especially the expense) of converting all those CD games to DVD cases.
(That is just my opinion, other results may vary)
The other down side for me is that unless you use the slim dvd cases, they will take up much more space that the CD cases do, and I am not sure you can store the manual in the slim case.
I think they look nice on my shelves in the CD cases. I have had to print some rear cover art/inlays for them using some not so good scans, but overall they look pretty good.

I also have a bunch of NES games all with instructions. Mostl are originals, but I had to print some of them from scans I found online (Which were not the best quality).
I might be interested in storage cases for the NES games, but I dunno how hard it would be to find original boxes for artwork or if the cases would also let you store the game manual inside.

I am willing to scan all my manuals/case artwork for the cause, though.

This has become somewhat of an addiction and my wife just mentioned that she would like the name and address of the person who started all this..... :)

[quote name='wshbrngr']+1 for me.

I have over 100 PSX games all with the instructions and in the CD cases.
The cd cases are easy & cheap, you just have to locate the totally clear ones, which I find at Walmart. I personally do not see the advantage (especially the expense) of converting all those CD games to DVD cases.
(That is just my opinion, other results may vary)
The other down side for me is that unless you use the slim dvd cases, they will take up much more space that the CD cases do, and I am not sure you can store the manual in the slim case.
I think they look nice on my shelves in the CD cases. I have had to print some rear cover art/inlays for them using some not so good scans, but overall they look pretty good.

I also have a bunch of NES games all with instructions. Mostl are originals, but I had to print some of them from scans I found online (Which were not the best quality).
I might be interested in storage cases for the NES games, but I dunno how hard it would be to find original boxes for artwork or if the cases would also let you store the game manual inside.

I am willing to scan all my manuals/case artwork for the cause, though.

This has become somewhat of an addiction and my wife just mentioned that she would like the name and address of the person who started all this..... :)[/QUOTE]

Oh damn, your wife's a hitman? argh, looks like we'll have to get OrganicCow into hiding again...

[quote name='SMMM']Oh damn, your wife's a hitman? argh, looks like we'll have to get OrganicCow into hiding again...[/quote]

Damn ... and she's actually got my address. Time to move methinks before a parcel bomb arrives in the post :D

[quote name='TheValeman']Damn ... and she's actually got my address. Time to move methinks before a parcel bomb arrives in the post :D[/quote]

Actually, she likes you Valeman..... she calls you my 'internet friend' :D

[quote name='wshbrngr']Actually, she likes you Valeman..... she calls you my 'internet friend' :D[/quote]

Holy .... :lol:

On a more serious note ... here's California Speed for those who want it .....

Upped to Snack-bar ....

And Snowcone .... the idea of integrating the game list so as we add a title it adjusts automatically sounds way cool. It'll save 4tygames the hassle of updating the list manually ...

[quote name='TheValeman'] the idea of integrating the game list so as we add a title it adjusts automatically sounds way cool. It'll save 4tygames the hassle of updating the list manually ...[/QUOTE]

Not to mention it'll probably cover the other systems as well, right? Way cool.

[quote name='SMMM']Not to mention it'll probably cover the other systems as well, right? Way cool.[/QUOTE]

Indeed it will. It will only be editable by those of you that need access to it.

One thing to think about if we go down the CD case path is that there are two parts .... front and seperate rear/spine .... compared to one combined for a DVD/ GBA/ NDS case.

We'd need to work out a format for posting both as one pic if Snowcone only wants one file per game. Or else the upload page is going to need another rework to specify seperate parts etc.

I sorta like the idea of pdf's if only one file is an option as you can size the pictures up and have front and rear on one page but obviously it requires the ability to create a pdf in the first instance. Only issue is page size as you US'ers use letter or legal and us PAL'ers use A4.

Still .... I'm probably getting a tad too far ahead of everything here ....

Looks good so far. Of course, the pages that really need design and IA (Information Architecture) are the pages for the console root level and individual game pages within that section.

Indeed .....

I'm looking forward to seeing the individual pages too. Maybe you could whack up a mock up N64 page with one cover and manual to give us a idea of your intentions.

On another topic altogether .... but dear to my heart .... my PAL Dreamcast has given up the ghost and wont read disc's anymore so.....

Anyone here purchased one of these items?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-Console-System-BRAND-NEW-NEVER-OPENED_W0QQitemZ150033926908QQihZ005QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and can tell me what the manufacturing date is? I don't want a non-mil cd version, eg, cant play audio CD's although you guys probably know what I mean :)

I have a fair few original PAL games and I'll need a bootdisc to play them on a US console ... something the non-nil consoles wont allow.

SO if anyone can shed light on these "brand new" consoles I'd really appreciate it given that the seller isn't answering any questions.

Cheers ....

[quote name='Backlash']Looks good so far. Of course, the pages that really need design and IA (Information Architecture) are the pages for the console root level and individual game pages within that section.[/QUOTE]

I am working on the inner pages today so I'll get something mocked up for you guys to see.

[quote name='TheValeman']I've always been of the opinion that things like PS1 and Dreamcast would be better served by getting hi-quality scans of the original cases as opposed to creating DVD cases. I can see the point for N64 boxes to get better protection than the cardboard offers and the fact that the original boxes die due to their fragile nature.

That's just my opinion however.[/QUOTE]

lot1fe1.jpg

That is why I want them all in DVD cases. They look cooler and match the current gen. Purely for looks.

[quote name='cyrix`']DVD cases also don't crack when your step on them.[/quote]

Step on them?

You guys are wayyyyy too hard on your toys..... :D

Looks great! Plus with the cover details column you can see what covers are available and what kind of case you need. This way we could add the covers for the European DS cases which have a wider spine

[quote name='wshbrngr']Step on them?

You guys are wayyyyy too hard on your toys..... :D[/QUOTE]
lol i was thinking of something that would make a cd case break and not a dvd case and thats what first came to my head.

[quote name='Snowcone']Here is a mock up of the individual game view:

http://s164060672.onlinehome.us/thecoverproject/view.php?cat=gba

Feedback time.[/quote]

Looks good. I gather clicking on the different covers will display the relevant pic as per existing site.

But ..... I think you need to make manuals also available on the same page. That way a user can get both the cover and a pdf manual from the one search. Maybe they should be listed below the cover list?

Have you had a look at any of my manuals yet? Feedback appreciated on those too :)

[quote name='TheValeman']Looks good. I gather clicking on the different covers will display the relevant pic as per existing site.

But ..... I think you need to make manuals also available on the same page. That way a user can get both the cover and a pdf manual from the one search. Maybe they should be listed below the cover list?

Have you had a look at any of my manuals yet? Feedback appreciated on those too :)[/QUOTE]

I've got some more layout changes today. I'll update you guys once I'm done and add the manuals too.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Are you guys doing SNES covers too? I looked at Snowcone's page and I saw there aren't very many done so far. I have a few boxes I could scan.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would be awesome.

[quote name='Snowcone']Yes, that would be awesome.[/quote]What technique is used for scanning . . . do I need to take the boxes apart to get a good scan? Is there still a place to submit raw scans?

[quote name='Gentlegamer']What technique is used for scanning . . . do I need to take the boxes apart to get a good scan? Is there still a place to submit raw scans?[/QUOTE]

You'd have to ask Valeman and company. Just make sure you scan at 300dpi when you do it. I haven't made one of the SNES covers so it would probably take me a little while to do it.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']What technique is used for scanning . . . do I need to take the boxes apart to get a good scan? Is there still a place to submit raw scans?[/quote]

I'm exclusively converting n64 boxes and manuals so cant say whats required for SNES covers .... SMMM or Schenley have submitted scans I think and could help there .... but as a rule Snowcone's right about the 300dpi requirment for scanning the boxes.

You dont need to take the box apart. As a general rule remove the inner cart holder, flatten the box so that one spine is showing with the front or rear and scan both sides. That way you end up with the whole box scanned in 2 parts. Pic below illustrates what you should have as a result .....

Then if you can upload it somewhere .... SMMM can do his super SNES stuff and come up with the finished cover. :)

[quote name='Snowcone']I made some mods to the view of the individual game including a very "Web 2.0" thumbnail thingy that I think will be very helpful.[/quote]

I still prefer the " click on the cover to see it" interface of the original site myself as you know exactly whats up for download but I have to say it does look cool except you may want to do something about the static picture as you end up looking at 2 pics at any one time. Maybe making the web 2 pic a smaller thumbnail will make the screen somewhat less crowded?

Just an opinion .... that's all!!

Heh. That is IE just being silly. I changed the CSS a bit right as I left and didn't get a chance to revert it when I got home.

Edit: I fixed it so it doesn't do that anymore.

BTW, most of the site layout is done, I am converting data today and tomorrow so that I have live data to work with. This is the part that is taking the longest.

[quote name='Snowcone']BTW, most of the site layout is done, I am converting data today and tomorrow so that I have live data to work with. This is the part that is taking the longest.[/quote]

Cool. This is gonna be good ......:)

BTW. Are you going to keep the FTP at Snack-bar or migrate it into the new site directly?

Getting ready to pull out my scanner again and bulk scan another 50 or so manuals. It'll take a while to get them into PDF's so there's no hurry anyway. Not that I've had any feedback on the ones already done to date :roll:

[quote name='TheValeman']Cool. This is gonna be good ......:)

BTW. Are you going to keep the FTP at Snack-bar or migrate it into the new site directly?

Getting ready to pull out my scanner again and bulk scan another 50 or so manuals. It'll take a while to get them into PDF's so there's no hurry anyway. Not that I've had any feedback on the ones already done to date :roll:[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a chance to look at those manuals yet, but I haven't seen anything from you that wasn't super high quality so I have no reason to worry. Also, for you and the other admins I am going to go ahead setup FTP accounts for you to push things up as well as maybe login to the backend and help manage the actual data.

I saw another idea on Cover Galaxay that I thought was interesting. People that donate more than $10 get a 7 day unlimited FTP account. They had lots of people that had donated. Might be a way to help me cover the hosting costs of this site.

So aside from finishing the cover data migration and then making those pages dynamic things are up and running. I opened the forums today and want a little feedback on some things.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/

Should we separate forums based on platform or case type? Like things that are in DVD cases in one forum, things in DS cases, etc?

Hi Everyone:

Well, I have been gone for a few days to Waco, I am a grampa (yet again) :roll:

I scored the Duck Dodgers box and will scan and upload it ASAP.
(Valeman, I also got the manual :) )

Snowcone: I was checking out the new site, and I think it is great. However, I tried to register to give my $.02 on the layout of the forums and was unable to register as it told me "An error has occured - The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture. " I never saw anyplace to type any letters in. :cry:
I think the forums should be organized by platform.

^ Agreed. General cover discussion should be by platform, although I can see how some cover creation stuff would be by case type. Maybe they can be logically separated that way.

[quote name='wshbrngr']Hi Everyone:

Well, I have been gone for a few days to Waco, I am a grampa (yet again) :roll:

I scored the Duck Dodgers box and will scan and upload it ASAP.
(Valeman, I also got the manual :) )

Snowcone: I was checking out the new site, and I think it is great. However, I tried to register to give my $.02 on the layout of the forums and was unable to register as it told me "An error has occured - The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture. " I never saw anyplace to type any letters in. :cry:
I think the forums should be organized by platform.[/quote]

And I thought I was the oldest here. WRONG!!! Stand up and be counted wshbrngr you old fart you !!! :D

Yep... I tried to log in/register...same thing happened to me too. Any chance of migrating the forum members onto the new site Snowcone?

Good stuff on the Duck Dodgers too.

Hey.... Just cause I am a grampa does not mean I am THAT old... I mean, How do you know I didn't have my first kid when I was 14..... :D
(I didn't, but it coulda happened......)
Its funny, I don't feel that old........ :bouncy:
No grampa jokes, though..... I would hate to have to use my A-1 Disintegrating Pistol......

But, I do admit to buying Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' when it was first released..... on an album... some of you may remember seeing those big, black, vinyl, tortilla looking things

bread's done
Back