NASCAR 08 - CAG League

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
Any chance there are some Nascar fans here who will be picking up NASCAR 08 July 23 (or 24th, or 26th)? I was thinking of starting up a league since you can have up to 12 players online. If you're interested, post here and we'll see what we can get going :applause:

The Current Roster

SynGamer - J. Gordon
mvp828 - M. Kenseth
maccabee72 - D. Earnhardt Jr.
RedvsBlue - J. Johnson
Undertaker4eber - J. Montoya
GI Iron Shirt - R. Newman
SManHatton - C. Mears

(Thats 7 out of 12 spots filled)

I'd be interested. I probably won't get the game on launch day, but I'll likely have it within a week or two.

Edit: If we're calling drivers...I'll take Jr.

Sounds good guys. I guess the next step is when is the beset time for all of you to race? I'll have the game at launch (Amazon.com, shipping, ew.) but we'll have the first race around the beginning of August if thats good. I'm free to race most nights after 6 PM EST. to around 1-2 AM EST.

*Edit: i see Red already called out his driver. I'll take J. Gordon or Jeff Burton. We'll see what everyone else wants :)

Alright, so we have the following:

SynGamer - J. Gordon
mvp828 - D. Blaney
maccabee72 - Dale Jr.
RedvsBlue - J. Johnson
Undertaker4eber - B. Vickers

Thats 5 out of 12 spots filled. I'm thinking 25% for race length with Cautions on. Damage set to cosmetic unless you are all real hardcore (which is cool). We could start the league with Pocono which is around the first of August, or Daytona, from the very beginning...if we do the latter, we would have to do like a few races a week, but up to you guys :)

I might be interested as this game is at the top of my GameFly list and I have a free slot so it should ship immediately. Though I've never played a racing game online as I have a tendency to run into every CPU car at one point because I play my racers the same way I drive, a cheeseburger in one hand and the newspaper in the other. I figured this is not the best way to play online and maintain any kind of respect. So what should I expect with online racers? Should I own a steering wheel? How fierce is the competition since I prefer to just drive instead of tweaking my car to obtain maximum performance? I know it is a varying experience based on the players but what is the most recurring experience. If nothing else maybe I can crash... I mean race with some of you on live while you tune up for the league race.

I'd say give it atleast a week until after release before we start. It will give some people time to pick it up, others time to get a feel, and everyone time to decide on settings.

[quote name='Halo05']Is Dick Trickle in the game? If so, I'm in but otherwise, I'll take a pass.[/quote]

Tell me you're kidding...

[quote name='SynGamer']Demo is now out...but XBLM is having some problems so good luck downloading it right now :)[/quote]

Yeah, it's pissing me off....I wonder what's up?

I read on a couple of other forums that the demo is pretty glitchy, but looks good.....

[quote name='maccabee72']Yeah, it's pissing me off....I wonder what's up?

I read on a couple of other forums that the demo is pretty glitchy, but looks good.....[/quote]
Try it again, i'm downloading now and its already at 65%. Btw, i've read that the demo is very glitchy, like cars disappearing (if you go backwards or something) dipping into the track and such...so this is basically a handling and graphics test :) Game should be here tomorrow or Thursday anyway.

*Edit: 99% and then i get a fucking 'Can't Download' message followed by status code: 807b01f7? WTF!

Well, after hearing the reports, seeing how the controls work, the errors...i'm ebaying once it comes in. So far, they've spelt Roush wrong, in-game it appears 'Rousch' according to various people. No 2-player offline. Horrible handling (demo sucks). And hit and miss damage.

That's always a great sign.

And yes, I was kidding about Dick Trickle. I've spent the past couple years scouring thrift stores looking for a Dick Trickle racing shirt, no luck.

As it stands, had the game gotten good reviews, I'd be interested in a couple price drops. Seeing as how it's getting shat upon pretty much across the board, I'll pass.

I got used to the handling pretty quick. You just need to be extra gentle on the stick and it actually handles pretty smooth once you get used to it. The Graphics are OK, but aren't on Par with other 360 racing titles IMO. My big problem so far is with the field. They smash from behind and spin you out on turns. On top of that, I can run two silky smooth pedal to the metal laps and still only qualify 11th. I finally got fed up with the demo and turned it off after Jimmy Johnson kept smashing me from behind while I was leading after about three laps and then spun me out in a turn smashing me in the wall and ending my race. I hope the actual game plays better than this!

[quote name='maccabee72']I got used to the handling pretty quick. You just need to be extra gentle on the stick and it actually handles pretty smooth once you get used to it. The Graphics are OK, but aren't on Par with other 360 racing titles IMO. My big problem so far is with the field. They smash from behind and spin you out on turns. On top of that, I can run two silky smooth pedal to the metal laps and still only qualify 11th. I finally got fed up with the demo and turned it off after Jimmy Johnson kept smashing me from behind while I was leading after about three laps and then spun me out in a turn smashing me in the wall and ending my race. I hope the actual game plays better than this![/quote]

See, i was getting a good handle, and thne the AI would get a run on me and start hitting me from behind. I try to go up a lane and the handling just doesn't allow for that. And as for the actual game, reports seem to be the same :(

Shit, I just bought it, but if it is as bad as everyone says than I am not gonna open it.

My brother was gonna buy it today, so I will play his copy and decide. I also will try the demo.

for those who have this game

is the money you earn used for anything

the older nascars you had to spend the money to buy parts for the car since the parts wore out you had to keep winning tons of money.

Nacar 2005 2006 2007 the money had no feature there was nothing to buy with the cash

any change or just a rehash of 2007

Bah, now im not sure if i'm going to keep this or not. Friends have said turning all the assists on and the sensitivity down makes the cars driveable...

[quote name='SynGamer']Bah, now im not sure if i'm going to keep this or not. Friends have said turning all the assists on and the sensitivity down makes the cars driveable...[/quote]

I've read the same thing on some other forums, but it seems most of the posts I read are negative overall. A lot of people who were looking for more of a sim racing experience seem to be the ones really digging it. I'm going to give it a rent and decide for myself.

I guess the league is on hold for now, huh;)

[quote name='maccabee72']I've read the same thing on some other forums, but it seems most of the posts I read are negative overall. A lot of people who were looking for more of a sim racing experience seem to be the ones really digging it. I'm going to give it a rent and decide for myself.

I guess the league is on hold for now, huh;)[/quote]

Damnit, i want my Nascar racing fix so i'm keeping it. I'll turn on all assists and try my best. The league is still on, but perhaps we'll push it back by a week. First race the week of Aug. 5th -11th?

I have yet to play the full verison. My brother told me I can borrow it tomorrow night, so I will try to let you know by then.

[quote name='mvp828']I have yet to play the full verison. My brother told me I can borrow it tomorrow night, so I will try to let you know by then.[/quote]

Sounds good. What ever you do, DO NOT play the demo, and make sure YOU DO adjust the steering sensitivity and turn on assists ;)

Aww damnit, I've been looking forward to a next-gen NASCAR game for almost 2 years and now everyone's saying it's shit? God-fuckin'-damnit

[quote name='SynGamer']What ever you do, DO NOT play the demo[/quote]

Too late, but I still wanna play full version.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Aww damnit, I've been looking forward to a next-gen NASCAR game for almost 2 years and now everyone's saying it's shit? God-fuckin'-damnit[/quote]

After talking to friends who have the game and reading other peoples posts, you can adjust the steering to make things better. Once you do that, it makes the game a lot more fun.

I got the game yesterday. At first I hated it like everyone else, but after messing with the sliders a bit and playing for a while Im starting to dig it alot. Im down for the league whenever you guys want to start. I dont think we need the races to be 25% though, especially with the way it controls now. Id also like to change my pick from Vickers to Montoya.

Sounds good. 10% sound fair? between practice (setup), qualifying, and the race, it should last around an hour (at the most).

sadly i dont see any major improvements from 2007 to 2008 to buy this game. maybe once you get later in the career mode but right now bleh

Also has anyone tried the ps2 version. It looks like it belongs on the ps1 LOL

[quote name='GI Iron Shirt']I would like either the 12 car or 25 car as a second choice cant wait to start racin[/quote]

Added you to the list :) 6 out of 12 spots filled, not bad so far. Still about 2 weeks before our first race. I want to give people plenty of time to join and also get used to the game.

Now, as for game options, how does everyone feel about caution flags? Since we'll likely be running only 10% of the race distance, flags would pretty much ruin it i think. But i believe your 'rank' doesn't change if yo urace with flags off.

Im torn on caution flags, I hate them cause you have less laps to actually race, on the other hand with people sliding around if you accidentally spin the car around then you have no chance of catching up. I know there have been numerous times already where I run into the turn and just spin the car for no reason. I think we should just go race to race as far as cautions go. Somewhere like Daytona or Talladega we need to use them cause youll lose the draft. Short tracks they may not be necessary cause if you spin youre going to nail the wall anyways.

Great point. We'll see how long the races are at 10%. 40 laps at some tracks with cautions on won't take away from the racing too much.

Yea, you can scratch me from the league. I just played the full version for a couple hours at my brother's house, and all I can say is wow. Leave it to EA, they have close to 3 years to develop a racing game for 360 and they F' it up.

Edit: That was using all assists as well, I mean I have raced for a while and cars don't handle that way.

Im not really sure what I am doing wrong with these driver badges. I finally got Hamlins by winning at Pocono but Im not sure how I got the other two. Also do you have to be usuing the driver whose badge you are going for? Im on Montoyas now and I won at the Brickyard, but I didnt get credit for winning the race or the top 5, I only got credt for the 10 slingshot passes. Im not really sure how thisworks, do I need to do it twice more to get the other two credits?

[quote name='mvp828']Yea, you can scratch me from the league. I just played the full version for a couple hours at my brother's house, and all I can say is wow. Leave it to EA, they have close to 3 years to develop a racing game for 360 and they F' it up.

Edit: That was using all assists as well, I mean I have raced for a while and cars don't handle that way.[/quote]

Did you adjust the steering sensitivity?

anyone try earn your strips yet. For some reason when i go for my truck licence the stupid thing wont go higher then 162 and cant get the lap under 55 sec

Does the actual version of the game differ much from the demo on the marketplace ? The graphics on the game seem more like early PS2 graphics with jagged edges all over the place and what seems like almost a dull cartoonish quality to the cars.

bread's done
Back