NBA Jam confirmed for 360/PS3--With a catch

n4styn4t3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5603068/nba-jam-confirmed-for-360-ps3-but-theres-a-catch

The gist of the article is that EA has confirmed that NBA Jam is coming to 360 and PS3 but it will only be available as a download code inside new copies of NBA Elite '11. It also apparently will not be the full version of the game.

So if you want to play NBA Jam you can either buy it on Wii as a full retail release without multiplayer, or buy NBA Elite '11 for 360 and PS3 and get a stripped down version of the title included, albeit including multiplayer.

What a crock of shit. EA has officially quelled my excitement for this game. Nice job.

Posted this in the general gaming board but I thought it was relevant here as well.

http://kotaku.com/5603068/nba-jam-co...theres-a-catch

The gist of the article is that EA has confirmed that NBA Jam is coming to 360 and PS3 but it will only be available as a download code inside new copies of NBA Elite '11. It also apparently will not be the full version of the game.

So if you want to play NBA Jam you can either buy it on Wii as a full retail release without multiplayer, or buy NBA Elite '11 for 360 and PS3 and get a stripped down version of the title included, albeit including multiplayer.

What a crock of shit. EA has officially quelled my excitement for this game. Nice job.

I don't have that much faith in NBA Elite, so I just may preorder it, download NBA Jam then immediately trade Elite in for NBA2K11

The allure of the NBA Jam serious has always been playing with friends. While couch play is still a viable option, this game would have been perfect for XBLA or PSN.

Oh and no online multiplayer for the Wii version.

a stripped down version?

w.t.f.
I'd buy a copy of NBA Live 11, which I have no interest in, just to get a full HD version of the NBA jam game.

I'm pissed. How could this be mishandled so badly? What was removed?

You're missing the point, Snake.

What EA is doing is screwing EVERYONE.

The Wii is getting a version of the game with all intended game modes, but no online multiplayer - even with Friend Codes. Unfortunate, but acceptable.

Now PS3/360 owners are being told that they CAN play PARTS of the game on their console of choice - akin to a demo where you can only play certain modes.

Now if this existed by itself, or even at cost, there'd be complaining still, but not to the extent as we see now.

However, by EA tying access to NBA Jam for Ps3/360 to NBA Elite 11, people are now being asked to, for a game they would have gladly purchased as a standalone, full priced title (with the HD, online multiplayer and trophies/achievements that is the norm for those consoles), purchase a game they have no desire of playing or bothering with [NBA Elite].

Now, had EA simply decided to let people CHOOSE to get either just NBA Jam (even gimped for 360/PS3 as it is) or NBA Elite AND Jam, people would be MUCH happier.$

EA is trying to make sales for a game which isn't going to have them - and in the process, getting people VERY upset.

We are not upset because we're getting NBA Jam. It's that we're getting a glorified demo of the game which the "true version" will never exist on that console.$

@Phokis I'm certain that this wasn't ENTIRELY EA's call. They probably signed an exclusivity agreement at some point and having a different version is their way of sneaking around that.

They shouldn't have signed such an agreement though. That was stupid on their part.

But seeing what they've done, they decided that the best way to go up against JORDAN was bundling Elite with quasi-Jam.

Public reaction is clearly going to show otherwise.

Seriously, I would pay for a 50$ PSN download, if that's how they can get a HD, Trophies, Online multiplayer, non-gimped version of the game. I'd buy a disc at that price too, even at 60.

EA just made a poor business decision, that's what this boils down too.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']There is no need for people to play moderator when there are real moderators.[/QUOTE]

That's fine.

I've reported your thread.

Happy now?

You can bet your ass that when Elite's sales slow down/it gets closer to next year's Elite title, they'll wind up putting the "we aren't releasing it separately on XBL/PSN" NBA Jam for sale on XBL/PSN...probably with the full feature set the Wii version has, to boot.

Too much money to be made to restrict this game to "DLC incentive" status forever. This also ensures that everyone who bought Elite just to get NBA Jam will be ultra-pissed, since they'll probably have to download a "Remix mode add-on" for 400 or 800 points that brings the game up to par with the inevitable Wii/standalone release.

Bottom line - if you want Jam but don't want Elite, patience. It'll come out by itself eventually.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Not everyone reads the General Gaming board. Don't be an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Everyone should, especially for cross-platform stuff like this.

Not buying because of this bullshit.

They will put out an XBLA version next year that has all the features, I bet. And charge $20 for it as a "tournament edition" This is just to help push NBA Elite sales. That series has probably been in the shitter for some time.

Personally, I'll wait until Elite/whatever 12 comes out.

If Jam isn't available as standalone 360/PS3 product by then (by download or disc), then I'll scoop up a new copy on the cheap for te code. That's it.

My God, doesn't anybody make any money these days by... you know... making a good game and having people buy it?

Why the Hell is everything turning into an under-handed pocket grab?

I doubt the NBA really has much restrictions on how NBA Jam is distributed. Someone from EA Sports was on Major Nelson's podcast last year and the topic turned to the recent (original) announcement of NBA Jam. The producer then told the story of how they were designing the new arcade game from EA and everybody in the dev team kept talking about NBA Jam, so they decided to call the NBA and see what the state of the license was given the recent collapse of Midway.

They called the head of marketing or whomever and the next day the NBA exec called back and told them no one had bought the license from Midway so it had reverted back to the NBA and then asked if EA wanted it.

[quote name='jer7583']Not buying because of this bullshit.

They will put out an XBLA version next year that has all the features, I bet. And charge $20 for it as a "tournament edition" This is just to help push NBA Elite sales. That series has probably been in the shitter for some time.[/QUOTE]

Yep that's why the name change and this move. While 2K has been higher reviewed than Live since the PS2 days, it finally surpassed it in sales starting with I believe 2K7, and the gap became REALLY big with 2K9 and 2K10, so much so that rumors started of EA abandoning NBA games altogether.

Obviously that didn't happen, but EA doesn't have the faith apparently a name/design change will fix the now Elite series the same way it happened when Triple Play became MVP Baseball.

Also remember it took EA awhile to fix as the first MVP Baseball (released in 03) was crap, MVP 2004 was pretty good, and then MVP 2005 was one of the best baseball games of all time.

Jam was announced as a Wii exclusive, period. You are complaining about getting a bonus demo version in a copy of a 360/PS3 game. Online multiplayer has not been officially confirmed or denied for the Wii as of yet.

This is disappointing news. While I was hoping for an XBLA/PSN version, I didn't want a gimped version that lacked the new boss mode that the Wii version has that looks like a really cool mode.

I dont understand what EA is thinking.

Wii version has full offline modes, possibly no online, and worse graphics
PS3/360 version has Online mode, better graphics, no legends/remix mode, Free NBA Elite.

Looking above the better version seems to be the 360/ps3 version. I mean NBA jam costs 50 on the wii, but its FREE when you buy elite for only 10 bucks more. 2 games for the price of 1 + 10 dollars sounds good to me. I might just buy elite for 360, use the Jam code, then sell elite on ebay for 40-50. Even if i only get 40 for it, thats 30 dollars cheaper than what the wii version would cost. Sure it would be nice to have legends and the remix mode, but to be perfectly honest i dont think Spud Webb, Manute Bol, Detlef Schremf, and no online is worth 30 dollars more.

bread's done
Back