NBA Jam out now!!!

It's good to hear positive reactions from you guys. I was really hoping this game would be every bit as fun as the old school version, and it seems like it will be. This seems like the kind of game that will drop in price pretty fast, so I'm going to hold out for that first sub $30 deal.

hold out for a deal? yeah okay, this has been 1 of the few game purchases I have made this year and it has gone beyond my expectations and is way better than anything that has come out lately, lol. I've only purchased black ops & this @ retail this year (aside from 2 used games re5 & bioshock 2) so yeah, still worth it. just waiting on a guide to state what you gotta do to unlock new players, modes and such now..

[quote name='intoxicated662']hold out for a deal? yeah okay, this has been 1 of the few game purchases I have made this year and it has gone beyond my expectations and is way better than anything that has come out lately, lol. I've only purchased black ops & this @ retail this year (aside from 2 used games re5 & bioshock 2) so yeah, still worth it. just waiting on a guide to state what you gotta do to unlock new players, modes and such now..[/QUOTE]

I think it looks like it's worth $50, but I have way too many games that have been neglected (including NBA 2K11) that that is the reason I am waiting, personally.

As for the unlocks:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605819-nba-jam/57178476

I can definitely understand people waiting for a deal. This is CAG, after all. I just found it funny earlier in the thread when people though this should be a $10 or $15 title.

[quote name='Regian']Actually, no online code needed for NBA Jam. Quite refreshing, to say the least. This will be a rental friendly game for those looking to try before you buy.

Of course, I was locked in on buying this the day announced it. Sooo much fun.

In fact, I'd say that it's...

BOOMSHAKALAKALICIOUS!

...yeah, I said it.[/QUOTE]

I saw you playing it last night. Let me know if you want to get a game in sometime.

I wanna try and hold off on this game for a little, but I'm so tempted.

I remember, as a kid, I came in second place in the Block Buster NBA jam tournament around here :lol:

[quote name='Scorch']Can you shatter the backboard?

This is a deal/no deal question[/QUOTE]

Yeah you can, Ewing did it against me last night. There is also a mode where you have to shatter the glass to win the game

Im gonna buy the game no matter what but I want to confirm something first. Does this game feature online play right out of the box? For some reason i'm hearing something that there will be a patch that will have online connectivity in dec. Please someone let me know.

[quote name='outerheaven']Im gonna buy the game no matter what but I want to confirm something first. Does this game feature online play right out of the box? For some reason i'm hearing something that there will be a patch that will have online connectivity in dec. Please someone let me know.[/QUOTE]

There is a patch that adds some online modes but it is already out.

to me, this is like nba jam+nba jam tournament edition all into 1 in HD graphics, online play, leaderboards and so much more along with new game modes. well worth the price and for those of you waiting it out, remember some stores have a 30 day policy so if the price drops you'll get the difference back.

I definitely want this right now, as I'll have enough GS credit to get it, but there's so much more out there that I want as well. Sigh.

Would you guys recommend the Wii version since you cant actually do the dunks by waving ur hand and pissing off your opponent even more? lol

I have the game but haven't ventured online yet. From reading other forums the online appears to be working; there just is no telling the skill level of your opponent beforehand.

I played a little on easy today, since i wasnt familiar with the controls yet. I thought it was pretty fun, i thought it would be a little faster paced game. I dont like how i cant control both players. Another thing i didnt like is how teams dont switch sides. You know instead of always shooting at the rim on the left, after half shoot at the rim on the right. I dont remember if regular NBA Jam changed sides. I thought in the old games the players got tired over time. But fatigue doesnt seem to be in this game. Man i was playing the knicks and was up by like 20, then about 4-5 inbounds plays in a row, the CPU would shove me right as i got the ball inbound and stole it for scores. That was a little annoying, since i couldnt do anything about it. But it looks pretty cool.

PS. NBA Jam was a little generous giving Corey Maggette a 7 rating in three pointers. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah outside of the immediate shoving from the computer i've enjoyed it. I usually pass the ball as soon as I inbound it so they don't successfuly shove me. If your a fan of NBA Jam or really loved this game on the genesis you owe it to yourself, but at the same time It's not really worth $50. I'd the perfect game at $30 or less.

This game is pretty fun. But the CPU doesnt seem consistent. Im still playing on easy, and i get 20+ point leads playing classic mode. Once you get a big enough lead it seems like the CPU will take over for a short period of time. They will shove you right when you inbound, or shove you if you try to do a jump shot. If they dont shove you they will block your shot. The problem is they never do it, only at certain times when the CPU decides it wants to take over. I once shoved the guy down, stole the ball, then he got up and shoved me back and took it back. When these things happen its not very fun, and its like okay i get it, the CPU is making a comeback. Then after they score 3-4 baskets they go back to not blocking or shoving.

I learned how to do alley oops off the ball, but i still feel like my CPU player is a moron. I dont know if me pressing Y when he has the ball tells him to shoot, i think it may be. But i dont feel very safe when he has the ball in his hands. I dont pass it much, sometimes i do and hope he shoots it.

Yeah, the difficulty is a bit odd. It ramps up so you can't truly ever dominate. Even when you're at the top of your game, it's insane what happens. Your drone team mates stops positioning himself at the right spot to grab a rebound from one of your failed shots, the opposition's blocking is almost spot on 100% successful and it's nearly impossible to prevent yourself from having the ball stolen from you or to avoid being shoved.

I still haven't lost a game on easy, but gosh damn the game plays with the difficulty in really weird ways to prevent you from crushing the CPU. Easy should be easy, period. If you can end the game 90-6, that's how it should be, not the CPU going apeshit to almost come back on you every time.

Online has a slight lag to it. I kinda got used to it, but still disappointing.

Yeah i played 3 games online and all had a slight bit of lag.

First game we got to halftime and then someone quit which ended the game.
Second game my partner never passed hardly at all to me, and we got crushed.
Third game my partner quit after it was 0-2 so the game ended.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, the difficulty is a bit odd. It ramps up so you can't truly ever dominate. Even when you're at the top of your game, it's insane what happens. Your drone team mates stops positioning himself at the right spot to grab a rebound from one of your failed shots, the opposition's blocking is almost spot on 100% successful and it's nearly impossible to prevent yourself from having the ball stolen from you or to avoid being shoved.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's NBA Jam for you. It was notorious for its rubberband AI.

^Ugh....I've been playing my Campaign on Medium difficulty which leads to a back and forth close game (I haven't lost yet) but the rubberband AI is annoying. Playing on Hard is just depressing as the CPU is so aggressive.

I tried a play now game on Easy with 5 minute qtrs. (there's an achievement if you reach 100pts). Once I got a lead larger than 20pts the comeback-code turned on and stopped me from scoring which was extremely frustrating as the comeback-code seems to have no difficulty level other than CPU domination.

I remember the first time I played NBA Jam in my local comic shop. I was beating the shit out of the CPU, and I thought it was the easiest game in the world. By the end of the game, I wanted to put my fist through the screen and kill Mike Iuzzolino and Derek Harper.

I'm liking it, I traded in Halo: Reach and Modern Warfare to use for this. So spending 23 bucks on it really made me happy since I wasn't ever going to play those two games again. Now the wife and I can play it together.

I just played a game against the knicks legend team on easy during the campaign. At the half it was 51 to maybe 25? All i remember is i had 51 and a huge lead. 3rd quarter starts and they score 16 unanswered points. Shoving, stealing, and blocking the shit out of me. Finally i made a 3. Then they went on more of a tear, and i ended up with 6 points that quarter after being able to score 51 in the first half. I ended up winning the game, but this shit just makes those moments not fun at all. Its like there is nothing you can do. Just put down the controller for a quarter and let them catch up.

This game would probably be a lot more fun if i had 3 other guys to play with, and no one did that shoving move. Personally i hate it.

I unlocked Dan Majerele. :D He was my favorite player growing up, so I was so stoked they put him in the game. Didn't even know until I was scrolling through the Suns and saw him. This has now turned into an AAA game.

I like the Pippen and Rodman team. I did learn that when they start playing like a douche, to just block the hell out of them. Sure they might get the occasional Jam, but for most of the shots, you can block them.

Sounds like they didn't touch the gameplay one bit. The AI used to play the exact same way on the arcade. They let you get up a big lead only to crush your hopes with a 15 point run. That's NBA Jam for you.

[quote name='seen']I've sent friend requests to everyone in this thread, so maybe we can get some 2v2 online jam.[/QUOTE]
Nice, I'll try to be on. I'll be playing this game for a long time (anyone else notice to get the 1000/1000 you need to play Classic Campaign 6 times?)

[quote name='dkreegz515']yeah thats about 36 games x 6... which is a lot.[/QUOTE]

36 x 6 @ 11 minutes a game = 39.6 hours worth of playing just that mode alone. And thats if you never lose a game

[quote name='The 7th Number']36 x 6 @ 11 minutes a game = 39.6 hours worth of playing just that mode alone. And thats if you never lose a game[/QUOTE]

I'm on my third Week or what ever division for classic and I have yet to lose a game. I'm also playing on Medium. Like I said, I think it's as if you don't shove your AI opponent a lot, they won't do it either. I didn't really shove any AI players till maybe the last minute of the third and then they came back the forth and just started shoving non stop. I stopped A LOT of teams with just timing the blocking. WHICH, I must say, SUCKS online. Once you block one players shot online, you can look forward to about 12 minutes of him shoving you non stop. So damn hard to find a GOOD game with good legit players online.

made it through one full season with the HEAT i do have to say after all the games played... i think i got sick of playing with lebron and wade by the 10-15th game. kinda sucks you gotta play that many times using the same team.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I'm on my third Week or what ever division for classic and I have yet to lose a game. I'm also playing on Medium. Like I said, I think it's as if you don't shove your AI opponent a lot, they won't do it either. I didn't really shove any AI players till maybe the last minute of the third and then they came back the forth and just started shoving non stop. I stopped A LOT of teams with just timing the blocking. WHICH, I must say, SUCKS online. Once you block one players shot online, you can look forward to about 12 minutes of him shoving you non stop. So damn hard to find a GOOD game with good legit players online.[/QUOTE]

Feel free to play me sometime.

I noticed that they actually keep track of stats per NBA player, not per user. I always thought the old games only kept stats per User... ex. player 1, player 2 no matter who you used. But this game keeps stats based on which nba player you use. So if you score 30 in the first half with kobe, then switch to artest and score 20, you wont see 50 points at the end. But the problem is at the end of the game, you can only view the stats of the 2 players you used last. If you use different players from the first half, you cant see them at all at the end of the game. Not really a big deal, but still would have been nice to be able to switch the players and see their stats.

Here are some more hidden teams you can get by using the 1st player initials + 2nd player initials.

SPR-ITE (Y.Lebron and G.Lebron LOL WHAT?)
ADI-DAS (Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Josh Smith)
JOR-DAN (Wade, CP3, Mello)

bread's done
Back