NCSX To Have Disgaea Reprint In 2 Weeks - $50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacrana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
http://www.ncsx.com/2006/100206/ncs1002f.htm

«©NCSX» Atlus has announced a new production of the popular "Disgaea" game which ships in approximately 2 weeks. Preorders are welcome at US$49. After skimming current auctions and listings from vendors selling the game, the price for Disagaea ranges between US$60 to US$80 so the new production should push prices downwards .

Borne from the fiery loins of the devil, the main character of Makai Senki Disgaea is literally a lil' devil. When old Beezlebub croaks, the path of ascension is unclear and Satan's spawn Lahar must prove himself by taking on all rivals and pretenders to the throne.

Designed similarly to games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle and Hoshigami, characters battle in 3-D isometric tactical theaters. Conventional weaponry as well as magical spells may be used in the course of war and two comrades watch your back - a wispy devil girl named Etna (complete with forked tail) and a demon penguin named Plinian join your party at the outset of the game. Additional soldiers and fighters may be created with Nippon Ichi's Free Character Creation System.

So apparently that reprint Atlus had a few weeks back was just a test... well, if you somehow fucked up 3 times when Atlus had the game at their store, here's your chance.

Yeah, I saw this earlier today, but I tell myself I need to move on with this gen. There will be lots of games to buy soon. :) thanks

"Nippon Ichi's Free Character Creation System"

I missing something here? Is there a reason this is capitalized and attributed to the brand name?

Good, hopefully Gamestop will cut their used price down to $39.99 (which was actually the original MSRP). C'mon, $69.99? GTFO. That shit might have flown back in the days of Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile, but not anymore.

[quote name='sonarrat']Good, hopefully Gamestop will cut their used price down to $39.99 (which was actually the original MSRP). C'mon, $69.99? GTFO. That shit might have flown back in the days of Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile, but not anymore.[/QUOTE]

Their price was actually cheap compared to Ebay, where people were paying $100 + for a used copy.

Holy shit, enough with the fucking reprints of this game, I liked it when it was hard to find! It makes it way more fun to own the game.

I can understand what you mean, but really, if a game was good when it was rare, it's still just as good when it's not (actually, it's better because more people get to appreciate it).

That may be so, but regardless, knowing that I own two copies (I at one point had an open and a sealed copy, sold the sealed, and then got one from the last reprint) makes the rareness that much sweeter. Sure, more people can experience the game, but it's really nice knowing that I have something that a lot of people will pay a large amount of money for. I sold my sealed copy for $145 last month I believe, and I only did that because I was more broke than I had ever been before. In a way having this game is like an insurance policy. Now it's not anymore. That aspect kind of pisses me off.

I don't mind them reprinting it so others can play, but they really need to differentiate all these reprints. It doesn't have to be ugly greastest hits packaging - it can just be a line on the back that says "third printing" - like comic books.

It's almost like Topps going back and reprinting a bunch of 52 Mantles just because they're selling high on eBay.

[quote name='slidecage']why do people think this reprint will kill the vaule None of the first 4 reprints hurt it[/quote]

From the way NCSX makes it sound, this is going to be "the big one".

[quote name='jaybird']I don't mind them reprinting it so others can play, but they really need to differentiate all these reprints. It doesn't have to be ugly greastest hits packaging - it can just be a line on the back that says "third printing" - like comic books.

It's almost like Topps going back and reprinting a bunch of 52 Mantles just because they're selling high on eBay.[/quote]

Good point. Didn't the original run still have the white sticker on top?

[quote name='jaybird']I don't mind them reprinting it so others can play, but they really need to differentiate all these reprints. It doesn't have to be ugly greastest hits packaging - it can just be a line on the back that says "third printing" - like comic books.

It's almost like Topps going back and reprinting a bunch of 52 Mantles just because they're selling high on eBay.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Like or not, some people collect video games. It's not cool to screw around with collectors that invest a lot of money and time into obtaining rare video games.

[quote name='drfrielgood']I completely agree. Like or not, some people collect video games. It's not cool to screw around with collectors that invest a lot of money and time into obtaining rare video games.[/quote]

Baseball card companies didn't give a damn about the collector until 40 years after the product became mainstream. When Topps and Bowman starting releasing cards in the late 40's/early 50's, they were making a product for kids. It wasn't until Upper Deck premeiered in '89 that baseball card companies made products for adults and collectors.

If video games follow the same arc, we won't see real collector's items for at least 10 years. Hell, Konami finally got Limited Edition right when they released Subsistence.

Atlus is releasing this game in small amounts so they can continue to charge full price. They seem to be printing just enough to satisfy some demand but not all of it. The constant reprints are also great for free advertising. Disgaea is getting reprinted more and more often and all we can do is talk about how it's great to be able to get the game at sub-Ebay prices. Atlus hasn't had to advertise for Disgaea in over 2 years but it can still sell the game at full price. They're geniuses.

Are they selling this only at Atlus's website or are they going to ship some to stores?

If its just Atlus's website, how much do they charge for shipping?

[quote name='wwfward']Are they selling this only at Atlus's website or are they going to ship some to stores?

If its just Atlus's website, how much do they charge for shipping?[/quote]

According to the OP, it's at NCSX.

I own quite a few "rare" games myself and am a moderate collector, but I'd much rather see more people have a chance at playing a game than keeping my collection rare. Quite frankly, reprints should make most CAGs happy.

Also, you can't compare baseball cards to games. When you get a baseball card that is rare all you can do with it is look at it. That's all. A game provides an opportunity to experience and interact. If a game is good then that shouldn't be denied to the masses simply because of low print run. I can't tell you how many times I have talked about Snatcher or Guardian Heroes just to hear, "I wish I could find the game, and find it cheap because I never got to play it." That's a shame IMO.

I can agree that they should differentiate second print runs though. I don't think it is that big of a deal for myself, but it couldn't hurt.

Maybe Atlus wants to make the games look the same so they can continue to charge $50. If they put a big ass greatest hits or even a small caption that said 4th printing, people would only pay $20 bucks for it.

[quote name='depascal22']Good point. Didn't the original run still have the white sticker on top?[/QUOTE]

The second and third runs had the sticker too. I think the reprint from '05 was the first to not have the sticker.

I agree with you, GuilewasNK. A good game being made available to people who want to play the game should be something to look forward to. I personally can only afford to buy 1 or 2 games at 50 bucks per year so I hope this reprint will be large enough for the price to drop a little or I'll finally give up something and buy this game for 50 bucks. Complaining about this reprint is ridiculous; basically those kind of people like to deny others something they want to enjoy because it makes them feel special, probably because they have a small penis or weren't loved by their parents.

after being burned by the persona 2 reprints i never buy games unless

1. i want to play them
'2 i want to keep them in my collection

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I own quite a few "rare" games myself and am a moderate collector, but I'd much rather see more people have a chance at playing a game than keeping my collection rare. Quite frankly, reprints should make most CAGs happy.

Also, you can't compare baseball cards to games. When you get a baseball card that is rare all you can do with it is look at it. That's all. A game provides an opportunity to experience and interact. If a game is good then that shouldn't be denied to the masses simply because of low print run. I can't tell you how many times I have talked about Snatcher or Guardian Heroes just to hear, "I wish I could find the game, and find it cheap because I never got to play it." That's a shame IMO.

I can agree that they should differentiate second print runs though. I don't think it is that big of a deal for myself, but it couldn't hurt.[/quote]Amen. The people that are worried about things like Panzer Dragoon Saga being reprinted (it probably won't happen anyway, but whatever) piss me off. Games are meant to be played.

I guess everyone just took their hatorade. If you're buying up Disgaea to sell it for profit, just go ahead and sell it. If you're hanging onto an investment, you know there's always the risk that it will possibly go down in value according to market conditions. If you're going to be mad because Atlus wants to make more money off their product, you're nothing but straight playa haters. Get a life and open that great game you have sealed.

I'm glad they're reprinting it, because I don't have a copy!

As far as collector value goes, life isn't fair, but what can you do? I recently sold a Rasputin trading card on Ebay for $150. The next week the card was actually released to the public in bulk and the price dropped to below $10. If I was the buyer, I would be really upset.

But Atlus would be more fair to its customers if it did distinguish between the different versions.

Anyone know if these re-prints are affecting the prices of original sealed Disgaea's with the white sticker on top of the case? I've got one of those and I'm debating selling it if I can get a good price.

I don't think the value would be that much greater for one of those copies, but some collectors are nuts for original releases so you never know.

[quote name='norkusa']Anyone know if these re-prints are affecting the prices of original sealed Disgaea's with the white sticker on top of the case? I've got one of those and I'm debating selling it if I can get a good price.

I don't think the value would be that much greater for one of those copies, but some collectors are nuts for original releases so you never know.[/QUOTE]

I had one with the original white label across the top. I bought it when the game first came out and just never opened it (too many games to play). I sold it on ebay for 100.00 about 2 weeks ago. I bought a reprinted one from atlus and kept that one instead. If you sell it be sure to point out the white label is the original first print run.
I think they will continue to hold there value.

[quote name='pinoy530']The second and third runs had the sticker too. I think the reprint from '05 was the first to not have the sticker.[/quote]
Yes, only games printed from mid 05 do not have the sticker. Sticker or not shouldn't matter. It depends on what price the buyer is willing to pay for it at that time.

I doubt the 'stickered' ones will hold their value any more than the 'unstickered' one. Once the market is flooded with reprints...who cares that much about a sticker?

I honestly never found this game hard to find, as I always saw used copies of it at EB (though usually no more than one) at EBGames. Once I literally saw 8 copies of MVC2 at EBGames uesd - 5 for PS2, 3 for Xbox.... crazy!

[quote name='depascal22']Maybe Atlus wants to make the games look the same so they can continue to charge $50. If they put a big ass greatest hits or even a small caption that said 4th printing, people would only pay $20 bucks for it.[/quote]

Hmm, I dont think so because when Capcom reprinted Street Fighter Collection with different packaging the value didnt drop at all. Here are the packaging differations:

sfcol.jpg

[quote name='Rozz']
Hmm, I dont think so because when Capcom reprinted Street Fighter Collection with different packaging the value didnt drop at all. Here are the packaging differations:

sfcol.jpg
[/quote]
I agree with your point. I'd like to point out that both of those look very good. If one had a nasty green bar on the left side, would it hold the same value? It's not the gamers that are driving this market, it's the collectors and resellers. Everyone knows they don't pay the same price for a greatest hits label.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Well, my current copies are going on eBay then.[/QUOTE]

Is this cheapassgamer.com or FW?

Yeah anyone who knows that a reprint is coming and does not dump their copies now is truly NOT a Cheapass. If you knew a stocks price was going to drop 50% in a few weeks, would you hold onto it?

[quote name='depascal22']I agree with your point. I'd like to point out that both of those look very good. If one had a nasty green bar on the left side, would it hold the same value? It's not the gamers that are driving this market, it's the collectors and resellers. Everyone knows they don't pay the same price for a greatest hits label.[/quote]

I know about the whole GH thing, but I think that Atlus should have put on something different on each on the packagings to tell what print it is, like Capcom did with Street Fighter Collection (though both SF C's were somewhat limited).

You should collect games because they are good and you would like to play them, not because of what they are worth. What they are worth should only matter if you are just reselling.

In which case you should

A) resell as soon as you get it (and avoid losing money due to a reprint) or

B) if you buy games and hang onto them until they increase in value to make money, you should be putting your money in something smarter and surer, like a money market account or something.

But selling your copy now then buying the reprint when it arrives: now that's a smart, practical idea. Free money.

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']Yeah anyone who knows that a reprint is coming and does not dump their copies now is truly NOT a Cheapass. If you knew a stocks price was going to drop 50% in a few weeks, would you hold onto it?[/quote]

Isn't the manual black & white instead of full color (on the inside) w/ the reprints? Or did I dream that?

I know that isn't noticeable from the outside though...

[quote name='Rozz']I know about the whole GH thing, but I think that Atlus should have put on something different on each on the packagings to tell what print it is, like Capcom did with Street Fighter Collection (though both SF C's were somewhat limited).[/quote]

The manual/insert is black & white instead of full color on the insert this time right? Or did I just dream that? I know that isn't visible from the outside, but it is SOMETHING.

The manual/insert is black & white instead of full color on the insert this time right? Or did I just dream that? I know that isn't visible from the outside, but it is SOMETHING.
Nope. I used to have a first printing I purchased from the infamous first $5 CC sale and it was identical in every way to the reprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back