Need a good pair of headphones

I've seen and heard nothing but good things about the retro PortaPro's from Koss. (Peep the reviews; lifetime warranty) I've never used them and I think they're a little funky, but I'd probably take them over a pair of Skullcandy's anyday. I do love me some Sennheiser's though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a set of Senheiser hd590. They sound great with my ipod even better on my pc though. In general though high end headphones will drain the ipod battery quickly
Adam

Stay away from skull candies. The question is what is your price range and what kind of headphones do you want IEM, Over the Head, Behind the back, etc...

so far I've had good luck with the cheapo skullcandy ink'd headphones.

I'd like over the head headphones.

Price range? The max I will spend is $100.

These wont be used just at home but everywhere I go (I listen to music all the time) so dont want a long dj-sized cord and want the headphones to have decent aesthetics.

[quote name='Redeema']I've seen and heard nothing but good things about the retro PortaPro's from Koss. (Peep the reviews; lifetime warranty) I've never used them and I think they're a little funky, but I'd probably take them over a pair of Skullcandy's anyday. I do love me some Sennheiser's though.[/QUOTE]
These. The Porta Pros are fantastic, especially for the price. They come with a lifetime, no questions warranty as well. I actually put it to the test a little while ago. I dropped my laptop on them, and snapped the jack off. I dropped them in an envelope with six bucks and they sent me back a brand new pair still in the wrapping after a week.

I can't recommend them enough.

[quote name='Redeema']I've seen and heard nothing but good things about the retro PortaPro's from Koss. (Peep the reviews; lifetime warranty) I've never used them and I think they're a little funky, but I'd probably take them over a pair of Skullcandy's anyday. I do love me some Sennheiser's though.[/QUOTE]

I have two pairs, one from when I was a kid bought in the 80's (still work and sound great!!) and a newer pair I bought 3 years ago, they are INCREDIBLE!! Better sounding and proven than most others.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Headphones-Voice/dp/B00001WRSJ

I own both of these and it all depends on where you'll be wearing them. The Sony's are really nice, but it's pretty big and the cord is bulky while the PortaPro's are made to be small, compact, and light. I use the Sony's when I'm at home and the PortaPro's when I'm at the gym or if I'm going out somewhere. Either way, both of these are definitely great headphones and they're made to last for a very, very long time.

cheap good earbuds i havent heard anything I like better than sennhieser cx400's.
sound is pretty good and theyre extremely comfortable in ear.

over the ear another vote for the hd-555 theyre light weight and comfortable, the cups dont rub my ears and the sound is excellent especially for the $

skullcandy stuff is garbage. they put skull in the name and have the "cool" skull art and people think theyre the shit.

[quote name='JoeJohn']Sony makes the best headphones. Even the cheap ones are very good.[/QUOTE]

Somewhere there's an audiophile crying. Not only do they not make the BEST headphones, but audiophiles would laugh in your face and refuse to even listen to one more word you had to say. While they may be good, they are far from the best especially the cheap ones. I used to sell audio equipment, and I got this from so many people it was ridiculous. It's all frame of reference. If you've never heard really high quality anything, be it speakers or headphones, you have no idea what to listen for. Once you know and have heard something that flat out blows your mind everything else is complete and utter garbage. Back on topic...

I've been going back and forth while I look for some new earphones and every site that I go to always references the PortaPro's. I'm looking to go Klipsch S4's, but that's because I already own Sennheiser's with the long cord and don't want to lug them around. Plus, in the car going to work the in ears won't mess up my hair like the headphones.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-M...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265094431&sr=1-1

If you are considering 80 for those lady gaga pieces of trash, you should pay 65 to get these - sound great, last forever.

I've had experience with different sets. My first expensive pair was a Shure pair that didn't last quite a year. I've had the Sony's for around 7 -8 years now - same pair - working fine, have taken abuse.[/QUOTE]

I second these! Best purchase I have ever made for my studio set up!

guys Ill be wearing when at my computer and when im walking around doing work orders for work. So no long or spiral cords please

i like the Sennheiser HD-555's but I dont like how it has material on the ears and top

[quote name='refusedchaos']guys Ill be wearing when at my computer and when im walking around doing work orders for work. So no long or spiral cords please

i like the Sennheiser HD-555's but I dont like how it has material on the ears and top[/QUOTE]

the material is quite nice. honestly theyre very comfortable.

for what you describe id suggest earbuds. some (like the cx400's i siggested) have short cords that would go to a shirt pocket without excessive slack, they come with an extender.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265164194&sr=8-9

I use these to DJ and listen and the sound is fantastic. The noise isolation is also very good and the chord can't be longer than 2-3 feet. That fact annoys me only because I like not having to take off my headphones when I need to look at records to put on. If you're not willing to spend that much then the Sony V6 (already mentioned) is my next recommendation. They are typically cheaper (I think) than the MDR-V7506 headphones which are essentially the same thing, but marketed to different types of users. Steer clear of the MDR-V700 headphones that Sony makes. While they are extremely popular for their looks, their sound is kind of muddy. They are good for DJ use, but if you are kind of rough with them they will break easily (I know this from experience). They are also very uncomfortable over long periods of time. Also take time to check out Head-fi.org for any information finding. I just discovered this website when I was looking for reviews on the Triple-Fi 10s I bought from Amazon back in December. If looks are really important to you, you could probably do better than Skullcandy headphones here:

http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/71/144/

I couldn't tell you anything about those headphones which look neat. I typically like to go with companies that I know have spent time investing in their audio division. Sennheiser, Pioneer, Allen & Heath, Shure (haven't listened to them myself, though) and AKG are all reliable and well respected brands. Remember, though: The really good headphones will bring out how sh***y your really compressed audio really sound. I usually just kind of snicker at the sound of Aaliyah if she recorded all her records underwater.

[quote name='paz9x']the material is quite nice. honestly theyre very comfortable.

for what you describe id suggest earbuds. some (like the cx400's i siggested) have short cords that would go to a shirt pocket without excessive slack, they come with an extender.[/QUOTE]

i dont have any doubt that the material is nice but I'm worried about it getting dirty (and being hard to clean) since I am outside alot

[quote name='refusedchaos']i dont have any doubt that the material is nice but I'm worried about it getting dirty (and being hard to clean) since I am outside alot[/QUOTE]

ah, gotcha. i know the ear cups are removable dont think the arch piece is.

I really think youd be better with ear buds. theyre harder to break as well.

good luck.

[quote name='paz9x']ah, gotcha. i know the ear cups are removable dont think the arch piece is.

I really think youd be better with ear buds. theyre harder to break as well.

good luck.[/QUOTE]

ear buds hurt after awhile for me. thus why I want over the ear

skullcandies = weird-feeling -shivers at suction noise-
lady gaga monsters = i wants them because lady gaga designed them
but stay away from monster - expensive.

[quote name='refusedchaos']ear buds hurt after awhile for me. thus why I want over the ear[/QUOTE]

well i had a probem with pain from ear buds. the cx400's were the 6th pair i bought, id sleep with them in and have no trouble, theyre amazing. i have no idea where you could try them out in store though.

if you get over ear and the cups touch yoru ear, they WILL cause trouble after wearing them for a bit.

[quote name='refusedchaos']I am rly tempted to get the Sennheiser HD-555's.

How are the Sennheiser HD201's compared to the SK Hesh's?[/QUOTE]

I have a pair of 202's and the sound isnt awesome and the cups rub my ears.
neither those or the 201's are even in the same league as the 555's

I am going to be listening to alot of death metal (lots-o-double bass drumming) and techno so I need headphones with good bass and speed.

are the Sennheiser HD-555's up to the job?

after talking to several audiophiles about it. SK Heshs fit my situation (listening to death metal and techno/over head/cup ear/85% listening from itouch/mobile alot)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-M...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265094431&sr=1-1

If you are considering 80 for those lady gaga pieces of trash, you should pay 65 to get these - sound great, last forever.

I've had experience with different sets. My first expensive pair was a Shure pair that didn't last quite a year. I've had the Sony's for around 7 -8 years now - same pair - working fine, have taken abuse.[/QUOTE]
Coincidentally, I actually ordered this pair last night.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Nothing Monster makes is worth the price.[/QUOTE]

...with the possible exception of my Dr. Dre Beats Tour earbuds.

[quote name='Redeema']Somewhere there's an audiophile crying. Not only do they not make the BEST headphones, but audiophiles would laugh in your face and refuse to even listen to one more word you had to say. While they may be good, they are far from the best especially the cheap ones. QUOTE]

Damn straight. Only Sony headphones I use are old, like my old MDR-CD180's. I've bought new ones, and they flat out suck (bass enhanced earbuds ect ect, worthless and failed on their claims).

I'd reocmend a pair of Altec Lansing Backbeat Pro's, not the Titanuim (cloth on cords transmits an anoying sound) or Klipsch SM2's for ear buds. over the ear, believe it or not, clearest one's I've found are a walmart pair of Panasonic clip on ones for around 10 bucks

P.S : Skull candy sucks- leave it at fye or hot topic. I have their lowriders, smokin' buds and titaniums and all just blow

1602542764_fbb8f63471.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Sony v6

if you are interested, the lowest I could find was

http://www.bing.com/shopping/Sony-MDR-V6-headphones/search?q=Sony MDR-V6&p1=[CommerceService%20scenario%3d%22o%22%20docid%3d%221DFE885A558DBD9EA324%22]&wf=Commerce&FORM=ENCA0

63.69 after Bing Cashback and Free Shippinh in the USA.
2-day shipping, kind of like amazon.

i decided to bite on these headphones after i looked for reviews of these vs the Sony "v7", Sennheiser HD280 and the Audio Tecnniqua MH40.

So yeah, a bit expensive but is supposed to be good overall. :cool:

[quote name='Shadows916']P.S : Skull candy sucks- leave it at fye or hot topic. I have their lowriders, smokin' buds and titaniums and all just blow[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify: Hot Topic doesn't sell Skullcandy.

[quote name='cRodz']
1602542764_fbb8f63471.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Sony v6

if you are interested, the lowest I could find was

http://www.bing.com/shopping/Sony-MDR-V6-headphones/search?q=Sony MDR-V6&p1=[CommerceService%20scenario%3d%22o%22%20docid%3d%221DFE885A558DBD9EA324%22]&wf=Commerce&FORM=ENCA0

63.69 after Bing Cashback and Free Shippinh in the USA.
2-day shipping, kind of like amazon.

i decided to bite on these headphones after i looked for reviews of these vs the Sony "v7", Sennheiser HD280 and the Audio Tecnniqua MH40.

So yeah, a bit expensive but is supposed to be good overall. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I might pick these up for my parents. You will not regret it one bit. Enjoy your new headphones.

[quote name='equest943']I might pick these up for my parents. You will not regret it one bit. Enjoy your new headphones.[/QUOTE]

:D

monkeyo.png

[quote name='Redeema']Somewhere there's an audiophile crying. Not only do they not make the BEST headphones, but audiophiles would laugh in your face and refuse to even listen to one more word you had to say. While they may be good, they are far from the best especially the cheap ones.
Well not ALL sony headphones are that bad. I hear those Sony MDR-R10s were pretty good, even so far as to be considered one of the top dynamic headphones ever made.

Do they still make the Koss KSC75? I have the KSC-35 which I am pretty sure use the same drivers as the Portapros, and yeah they're awesome (especially considering the price). The 35's are over-the-ear but do not have a headband so it's kind of a hybrid between headband style and earbud. Clip on I think is how you are supposed to describe them. Anyways the KSC75 is an updated version of the 35 with a little more modern styling and supposedly a better comfort/fit.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Ruahrc']

Well not ALL sony headphones are that bad. I hear those Sony MDR-R10s were pretty good, even so far as to be considered one of the top dynamic headphones ever made.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

I had no clue about those headphones. Pretty crazy. I guess you'd have to have an absolutely bad-ass vacuum tube amp and whatnot to get your money's worth from those, though. That is really interesting stuff. I wouldn't have thought that Sony could hang with the big boys.

bread's done
Back