Need advice on how to apply for McDonalds

steve_k

CAGiversary!
I may soon be in need of a night job after my unemployment benefits are exhausted to help protect my savings, and there is a McDonalds within a quarter mile of my home. I've worked hard for my last job for the money I have in the bank and I don't want to see it dwindle while I am unemployed and cannot collect unemployment. Night jobs are perfect for this type of scenerio as they allow you to search for a better job and attend job interviews during the day. I live in Texas if that is relevant.

My problem (if you want to call it a problem) is that I have a kick-ass resume. I have 3 college degrees from accredited brick-and-morter colleges / universities (Associates, Bachelors, Masters), two of which were earned with a 4.00 GPA and nearly 3 years experience with a Fortune 500 manufacturing company making good money for myself (laid off). The manufacturing sector (along with just about every industry worth being in) is now dead. It doesn't matter how good you are if there are no jobs available.

With the economy the way it is, is it even possible to be over-qualified for a job? Is being over-qualified the new norm, in which case I will just be one of many with a Masters degree applying for a crew member position at McDonalds?

If I exclude all of my accomplishments from my job application, how I am going to explain my past on a job interview? Will I simply tell them I simply went into a coma for the past 5 years? Should I hide the fact I've accomplished things in my life to avoid being deemed 'overqualified'? I'm 29 years old if that holds any relevance (I feel it does as you are expected to have accomplishments by my age).

How do you apply for a job at McDonalds? I prefer the 'old' style back in the day when these places kept actual job applications printed on paper ready for people who asks for them. On these, you could easily write 'will provide later' across the social security number field. You cannot type this on an electronic job application in a kiosk. I am very skeptical about throwing my social security number around and don't feel comfortable providing a social security number on a job application. I'll gladly provide it when the employer is ready to make a decision based on a background check and to verify I can legally work in the US. Otherwise, who knows who will find it?

Give me some advice.

[quote name='Silver47']With your experience, you could probably become a store manager for a McDonald's almost immediately.[/QUOTE]

I have no experience in fast food. I earned retail experience while in college and experience with a manufacturing plant after college.

Besides, I'm sure a McDonalds manager earns no more than $30,000 a year. My personal career goals are higher than that. What I need is a night job that leaves my daytime hours open, and if they already have a night crew manager, they can't add another night crew manager just because someone else meets the criteria.

I usually see them post times for open interviews.. but there are other places you could be working. 24 hour grocery store doing stock work might be a better option.

It is possible to be overqualified. I'm working on my MS now, and at the department I work for, they won't consider someone who's overqualified for entry-level positions because the assumption is that they will leave as soon as the economy turns around and they can find a job.

What are your degrees in? What experiences do you have in your fields?

And come on, seriously? You can't say "I'm applying to McDonalds but $30,000 is too low for me."

Finally, the laws have changed significantly in the last 6 months with what's called e-verify for the gov't, you must provide a SSN so that they can check that you are a citizen.

They won't hire you if you're overqualified. Straight up.

My friend's sister tried to get a job on an assembly line and they wouldn't hire her cuz they did some background checks and found out she had a degree.

Just omit any positives. Not sure how you should lie, but leave out anything that makes you seem smarter than a random high school student. Maybe say you wanna try out community college during the day if they ask why only the night shift.

[quote name='lordwow']It is possible to be overqualified. I'm working on my MS now, and at the department I work for, they won't consider someone who's overqualified for entry-level positions because the assumption is that they will leave as soon as the economy turns around and they can find a job.

What are your degrees in? What experiences do you have in your fields?

And come on, seriously? You can't say "I'm applying to McDonalds but $30,000 is too low for me."

Finally, the laws have changed significantly in the last 6 months with what's called e-verify for the gov't, you must provide a SSN so that they can check that you are a citizen.[/QUOTE]

My last job paid signifcantly over $30,000 and the job interviews I've landed were for jobs that paid significantly over $30,000. I have reason to believe that under a healthy economy, I am worth significantly more than than $30,000 annually. The only reason I am considering McDonalds is to protect my savings. My aim is to use daytime hours to look for a real job (McDonalds is not a real job, even if you are a store manager) so that I can find a job that is aligned with my expectations. I would expect to find this job after the economy recovers, but I won't find it if I have a day job.

My undergraduate degree is in general business with a minor in management and my Master of Business Administration degree is with a concentration in Finance. I have post-graduate experience in procurement, MRP systems, document control, and project management.

I'll provide my social security number, but not on the job application. With growing reports of identify theft, it just isn't safe. I'd rather provide it on the second job interview. I've been half a dozen interviews for 'real' jobs, and they did not ask for a social security number prior to an interview.

[quote name='kube00']You can always omit things from your resume[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to prepare myself with an answer if I get a job interview and am asked 'What have you been doing since high school?' If I answer honestly, they will know I am qualified for better jobs and will leave them soon after joining. I guess I could lie and tell them I have failed at everything I have ever attempted in life.

[quote name='steve_k']... I guess I could lie and tell them I have failed at everything I have ever attempted in life.[/QUOTE]

You'd still be overqualified. lol

I'd just stick with the truth.

[quote name='steve_k']I'm trying to prepare myself with an answer if I get a job interview and am asked 'What have you been doing since high school?' If I answer honestly, they will know I am qualified for better jobs and will leave them soon after joining. I guess I could lie and tell them I have failed at everything I have ever attempted in life.[/QUOTE]

If you lie on your application and they find out, it's terms for immediate dismissal. At least, it is at most McDonalds.

Tell them the economy is screwing you over as much as anybody else and the fact that you are overqualified is irrelevant. If MacfuckinDonalds are too ignorant about the fact some people are out of work and need to put food on their tables, tell the cocksuckers to piss off and apply at Taco Bell.

There's no such thing as being overqualified. If you are underqualified you can't perform the job. If you are overqualified, you can still do the job.

Ah, to be young again. ;)
Look, you seem like a bright guy but you're unemployed, right?
Being a manager at McDonalds is a real job. I’m not saying go for that job but what would you do if you had a wife and/or kid to support? Eat your degrees? Keep your chin up but don't think you are too good for any job right now or be willing to dip into your savings.
BTW, being a manager of people anywhere is a real job. College educated or not, they bitch and whine with the best of 'em. Try running a staff of 25 women in an insurance office for a while. #-o
Are you fixed on your location or willing to move?

A reason they would be hesitant to hire is that you'll be ghost as soon as you find a better job and they know that. No company wants to invest the time and money in training someone who will bolt ASAP. This is essentially the motivation behind telling someone they are overqualified as the reason for not hiring them.

[quote name='neocisco']A reason they would be hesitant to hire is that you'll be ghost as soon as you find a better job and they know that. No company wants to invest the time and money in training someone who will bolt ASAP. This is essentially the motivation behind telling someone they are overqualified as the reason for not hiring them.[/QUOTE]

Then why do they hire lazy 16 year olds?

:bomb:

It's McD, in the fast food and restraunt industy turnover rates are high so they probably won't care if it's only a crew member position. You should also look into applying for grocey store positions, they're usually always looking for people with open evenings. Turnover in that is just as bad as fast food.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Then why do they hire lazy 16 year olds?

:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Because they work cheap. I guess I'm thinking more of managerial positions.

There was actually an article on this very subject in the WSJ a couple weeks ago, though not as extreme as your case of applying to McDonald's. The consensus seemed to be for jobs you are really overqualified for, leave that shit out of the resume. Seriously dude, it's McDonald's. Just tell them you've been taking care of a sick relative for the past several years if they ask why you haven't been in the workforce. They won't give a shit. It's a first job for many people.

[quote name='neocisco']A reason they would be hesitant to hire is that you'll be ghost as soon as you find a better job and they know that. No company wants to invest the time and money in training someone who will bolt ASAP. This is essentially the motivation behind telling someone they are overqualified as the reason for not hiring them.[/QUOTE]

This is THE reason. 100% correct. You win a cookie.

Try Wal-Mart. We just hired someone who left a job making $40 an hour. We could care less what your previous experience, because guess what? You guessed it: HUGE TURNOVER!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Try Wal-Mart. We just hired someone who left a job making $40 an hour. We could care less what your previous experience, because guess what? You guessed it: HUGE TURNOVER![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd say McDonald's and Wal-Mart are a couple of the few real places that wouldn't give a fuck simply because of the turnover. You're not going to employ them long anyway and you aren't going to really train them to do a complex job so they may as well employ overqualified people.

Once you get into jobs that require degrees though, you're basically fucked if you're overqualified. My ex was a douche and had a horrible personality that probably turned a lot of people off during interviews, but he was also very overqualified in terms of degrees for a lot of the positions he applied for when he was basically begging around for a job. He graduated with a lawl degree in 2005 along with a BA and MA and is still doing contract law work. Not contract law in terms of doing legal work on contracts, I'm talking about temp law agency work. He didn't do it rite like javeryh and get a high ranking and an internship during law school so he basically fucked himself over for life in terms of loans (almost 200k) and being overqualified for fuck everything. For anything he is qualified for, I think he turns people off with his shit personality and sketchy resume in spite of his law degree. So the lessons are: 1. don't be a douche 2. leave shit off the resume if you're overqualified 3. work your ass off in things such as law school if you want a real chance at a good job and 4. don't write pointless long-winded posts like this one.

The thing is, McDonald's has a high turnover rate anyway. Wouldn't you rather a decent, hard-working college educated person work for you for a limited time, then, say, a less desirable individual* working for you for a limited time?

*=slacker, drug addict, high school D student, etc.

I think you are overanalyzing this too much. You are getting this worked up about a job at McDonalds which you yourself admit isn't a real job. Just apply with honest info (else what else are you gonna tell them you've been doing the last 5 years?) and Definitely don't give the impression it is only a temp job to you. They probably see these kinds of applicants all the time and know you wouldn't be there long. You should still give the impression you will be a good worker that will care about the work.

Walk into the mcdonalds looking like you're a complete jackass that doesn't know his head from his ass and you'll probably get a job there.

BONUS: If asked how much you think "alot of ketchup" is, tell them 3 packets. Thats how much ketchup i get when i ask for a lot of ketchup.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cracka']Walk into the mcdonalds looking you're a complete jackass that doesn't know his head from his ass and you'll probably get a job there.

BONUS: If asked how much you think "alot of ketchup" is, tell them 3 packets. Thats how much ketchup i get when i ask for a lot of ketchup.[/QUOTE]

If you ask for more, they act like you're taking it from their personal stash. "i guess my kids won't be getting ketchup tonight..."

God, I love Jim Gaffigan.

Just apply and see what happens. If they are hiring and you don't get a call go back and talk to the manager directly. Any job with a high turnover rate will care much less about you bolting when you find a real job.

It's hard getting a job at McDonald's. I'm only 21, and trying to find some menial labor jobs to help pay for books, food, and booze and I have yet to land one. I follow up and ask why I wasn't offered a job and I'm just told that I'm over-qualified and will probably leave after the summer/quarter/month/year, etc. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because the white collar jobs entry jobs I try applying for are almost non-existent and the blue collar jobs won't even consider me.

I know this sounds pathetic, but I've resorted to collecting cans around the place I live and also doing online surveys. I just can't stand not making some cash and I have no shame. I make about $20 a week from cans and about $3-$5 a day doing surveys. Comes about to a respectable $40-$50 a week and $200ish a month. Google Adsense will put some money in your pocket as well (make about $2/day).

I know taking advice from some college student may sound dumb, but I say just do what you can to make cash. If McDonald's doesn't hire you, try Burger King or something! :)

I think you can probably always get a job in construction. OR - a hospital. Seriously.. check out the available carreer opportunities at your local hospitals website.. you might be surprised. People will always need health care, even in a bearish economy.

So you consider yourself worth significantly more than $30K annually, but need advice on how to get hired in fast food? Really? Just lie to them, it's fucking McDonalds.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Is this shit for real?[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but it could be in just a few months if the economy continues to deterroriate. The US Department of Labor released the statistics for May. There were half as many layoffs in May compared to the average monthly layoffs for the previous six months. This could be either a sign of recovery or just a fluctuation. My plan as of now is:

1. continue looking for a real job while I collect unemployment
2. extinguish unemployment benefits and continue looking for 2 or 3 more months, draining my savings
3. notice my savings are being depleted, get scared, and look for a night job somewhere convenient for me
4. After 6 months of no luck, review the current job market and go back to college if necessary
5. graduate with yet another degree and continue searching for a real job
6. continue to drain my personal savings if no job whatsover can be found
7. liquidate all my assets just to survive
8. declare myself completly broke with nowhere to turn for resources
9. live off credit as long as I can (that's what got Americans in this problem to begin with, right?)
10. allow myself to die of starvation under a bridge

I might be a little dramatic with the plan listed above, but to answer your question, no, this is not yet real, but yes, it could become real given enough time. I'm trying to plan ahead. I have a McDonalds within walking distance of my home and will not be held back by an inflated ego as a result of multiple college degrees, a list of academic awards, and professional work experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='st0neface']So you consider yourself worth significantly more than $30K annually, but need advice on how to get hired in fast food? Really? Just lie to them, it's fucking McDonalds.[/QUOTE]

Back when I was in college I frequently spoke to undergraduate students who believed they would finish a bachelors degree and immediately start working for $50,000 to $60,000 a year starting out. These were mostly Marketing, Management, and General Business students with a 2.5 to 3.0 GPA.

I graduated with a Masters degree, perfect grades, and and then worked for nearly 3 years in a professional setting where I made significantly over $30,000.

Aren't I entitled to think I'm worth at least half of what those undergraduates thought they were worth?

I am considering McDonalds not for a career, but for a night job that will help protect my savings while I look for a career. $6 an hour is fine for a while, but not for the rest of my life.

Don't you just have to sign your name and fill out your address and phone number and you are hired and working 10 minutes later?

bread's done
Back