Need help finding bookcase for games

breakingcustoms

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
My collection of games spanning all systems is around 500. I'm trying to find a bookcase that can hold around 500 DVDs at a decent price. I've looked at many places and I cannot find one that will hold nearly enough.

Any CAG help would be greatly appreciated;

I know this is kinda too small, but this week I was at Kmart and they had a big mediabookcase (solid boards, not the kind where your stuff sits on poles - and it was black) that held like 200+ CD size and mid-100-something DVD size on clearance for $30-something. It was normally $60-something if I recall. They had a bunch of stuff like shelves and etc on clearance (and Kmart clearance prices tend to be chain-wide) so you might check them out if you haven't recently.

[quote name='brianmoy']I know this is kinda too small, but this week I was at Kmart and they had a big mediabookcase (solid boards, not the kind where your stuff sits on poles - and it was black) that held like 200+ CD size and mid-100-something DVD size on clearance for $30-something. It was normally $60-something if I recall. They had a bunch of stuff like shelves and etc on clearance (and Kmart clearance prices tend to be chain-wide) so you might check them out if you haven't recently.[/QUOTE]

sadly, i dont have a kmart near me

There is a wood colored one at IKEA for $20. The model is called Flarke or something like that. My roommate has two and loves them. The back of the shelf is just some kind of thick plastic sheet, so it's not some heavy, full wood shelf. They look nice and are pretty sturdy though.

You're going to have a hard time finding one that holds 500. Your best bet is to get multiple units. I use the Sauder units (6) that I keep in my gaming closet that work well.

The only thing that's going to fit that many DVD's is a triple or quad width tower which is almost 200 for a triple (do a search on amazon or google for triple/quad width dvd tower) or using multiple smaller towers. The smaller tower option is cheaper but will probably take up more room width wise. Of course the big tower needs a big place to put it where you can have the flexibility of placing 2 smaller towers in a corner or on 2 different walls.

Yeah I'd also go with multiple units. Measure the wallspace you have an get stuff that fits in those gaps. These things all come in a fairly regular set of colors so it isn't hard to match up units, even when from different brands. That's what I did in my living room where all my DVDs and games are.

I recommend the D-I-Y approach. For $50-$100 in lumber, screws, and paint, a few tools that you can borrow from friends if you don't have them and a little bit of time, you can build a shelf that fits the EXACT dimensions you need and doesn't fall apart after a few years.

Here's my gaming shelf. I'm waiting to paint/stain until I decide if I wanna stain it or give it a piano-black texture.

shelf.jpg

[quote name='elessar123']I have this one from Best Buy, but I could have sworn I got it for $90 on sale from $100, so the price must have gone up 50% since Circuit City closed (when I bought it).[/QUOTE]

i actually found this same one on Amazon for about $106 w/FSSS, every other one has it around that price with $75-100 shipping

For me, I think that one is the most cost effective and I'd like one single unit

right now, i'm using 2 bookcases and they are way out of room

thanks for all of the help, guys!

I'll agree with other posters, as I've experienced the same problem...you are going to have a hard time finding a single unit that will hold 500 games at a reasonable price. Your best bet is to either buy a couple of smaller units or go the DIY route and build one of your own.

[quote name='DrBrianFields']I recommend the D-I-Y approach. For $50-$100 in lumber, screws, and paint, a few tools that you can borrow from friends if you don't have them and a little bit of time, you can build a shelf that fits the EXACT dimensions you need and doesn't fall apart after a few years.

Here's my gaming shelf. I'm waiting to paint/stain until I decide if I wanna stain it or give it a piano-black texture.

shelf.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What are the dimensions on that, and what size boards did you use? It looks really good, by the way.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']What are the dimensions on that, and what size boards did you use? It looks really good, by the way.[/QUOTE]

It's 4' x 6', I used 1x10s the whole way around.

I'm probably gonna add a facade to the front when I do paint it, but it's not a priority right now.

When I'm on the hunt for shelving, the first place I always look is craigslist. Any furniture without cushions, fabric, etc is always a good bet from there.

[quote name='MuzykMann']I use 4 of these for all my games and DVDs, and I love them. They look real impressive with 2 on either side of my plasma TV in the corner of my family room.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11016194

Also, while I was hunting the link for the ones I use down, I came across this little gem: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10910023 Anybody ever seen this before?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not in the wild. I'm torn between "that looks cool" and "who the fuck would want that?" I could go either way.

I like your units, that's a hell of a price.

[quote name='bvharris']
I like your units, that's a hell of a price.[/QUOTE]

They are very, very solid for the money. The middle shelf is fixed, the top and bottom are (obviously) fixed, but the other 5 are adjustable, so you can raise or lower them based on what you're putting in. That allows me to make a smaller space up top for DS games, while leaving some bigger shelves down below for Limited Editions, figures, etc.

Also a helpful fact about them: I've bought them from 3 different Walmarts in my area, leading me to believe that if you walk into your local store you should be able to pick them up and walk out with them same day.

I can take some pictures of my setup as it is later if anyone has any interest, but I did a lot of looking for cheap game shelves and these were the best value I could find.

bread's done
Back