need help regarding launch day ps2 and slim

kp_assman

CAGiversary!
sup fellas

picked up the singstar ps2 slim bundle on amazon recently. the thing is that i still use my launch day ps2 for games and dvd. i'm thinking of retiring the original and start using the slim because if there is a prob with the slim i can still return it/warranty it.

what would you guys do? retire the original ps2?

thanks a bunch

The launch day ps2 has a hdd bay and a firewire/system link port. It also works alot better with AR Max, and Codebreaker type devices. The usb ports support alot more stuff too.

If none of that matters to you then by all means switch to the new slim.

But I question why you would open up and start using a brand new ps2 when you still have on that works just fine?

If I had gotten in on that $100 singstar ps2, I would put it away as a 'just in case' so if my old ps2 finally broke down, I'd have a crispy new one fresh out the box.

thanks for the reply puffa

i'm just worried that when my original one breaks and i start using the new one, the new one might have probs. Because i won't be able to return it (past 30days) i'm gonna have to go through the hassle or warrantying it.....

Recently I "downgraded" to a fat PS2 and couldn't be happier. Actually, I do wish the "fat" PS2 were as quiet as the slim, but I can live with it. The fat is better in all other respects. So, if it were me, I'd never have bought that slim in the first place (if you want another slim, though, mine is going to be sold on ebay soon, or I can sell to a CAG if they offer a reasonable price. :)

I'm getting a slim from my co-workers son since he got a PS3. I already have one mind you (a fatty), but I think it doesn't hurt to have another since great console and doesn't hurt for those "just incase" moments. Plus I have 170 or so some PS2 games, not counting PS1 so why not?

Actually it's the fan. At least as far as I can tell. My fat PS2's fan is very noisy. I'm planning to try replacing it with a quieter fan, but I'm a little squeamish about it.... Anyway, the main reason to choose a fat PS2 over the slim is because you can put a hard drive in it. It is so much nicer playing your PS2 games from the HDD. I especially like it for my DDR/In The Groove games. Especially for In The Groove which, played from DVD, has unbearable loading delays. It's quick from the HDD. All games are much faster from the HDD. I only just got this thing so I haven't tried my copy of Guitar Hero yet other than to verify that it worked, but I expect that it will be much faster too, and GH has some significant loading delays so it should be nice. I won't go back to playing my games from DVD. And, no, I don't use it for piracy. I own all my games, thank you very much.

I had a fat PS2 that I got a couple months after release. I sold it almost 2 years ago though. I really wasn’t using it. I got in on the Singstar bundle, even though I have a PS3 with emotion engine. I also bought the Guitar Hero games that you can’t get on the next gen systems.

I would say I like the slim versus fat. The smaller size is amazing. I also want a PS2 around for when the PS3 goes slim. I can see trading my current PS3 for a slim and then using my slim PS2 for legacy games. That is assuming the slim PS3’s BC isn’t going to be very good.

I wish all manufacturers would release slim versions of their consoles. I’d buy a slim Xbox today if they came out with one. Luckily the Wii plays Gamecube games just as good as a Gamecube.

[quote name='kp_assman']thanks for the reply puffa

i'm just worried that when my original one breaks and i start using the new one, the new one might have probs. Because i won't be able to return it (past 30days) i'm gonna have to go through the hassle or warrantying it.....[/quote]

Hassle of sending out the warranty on it? Seriously? It's either a webform in many cases that takes a minute to fill out most times or a little paper postcard with postage prepaid that you simply drop into a mailbox and mail away.

How hard is that? Seriously? Do people REALLY have that little of an amount of free time that they can't take 30 seconds to a minute to register stuff online or drop off a warranty card in the mail? Or are people just THAT fuckin lazy anymore?

Oh and for the record, it's 90 days warranty on the slim(and fat model PS2s), not 30 days.

And, if you have any problems with your older fat model PS2, simply check the stickied repair thread at the top of the PS2 page on CAG. There's ALOT of useful info on how to clean the laser and do other adjustments to the PS2. Using the info in that thread alone, you should be able to keep your slim as a 'spare' for MANY years to come while enjoying the fat model PS2 during that entire time.

Oh and to whoever said the slim is quieter on loading games, have you tried using a blue bottom(CD) disc in it yet? It gets almost as loud as a fat model when loading a CD based game, in my opinion. My one buddy plays alot of blue bottom discs and his is LOUD when spinning them.

EDIT: Apparently, Sony has upped the amount of warranty period for 70000 model slim PS2's to ONE YEAR.

Link: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PS2/Warranties

Read the second part that starts out with the header: Limited Warranty.

bread's done
Back