Need Opinion Best Castlevania Game (any system/generation)

fragmanslayer

CAGiversary!
Figured I could start a thread on Castlevania Past, Present, Future.

What is your favorite castlevania game(s). I havent played them all, especially the ones on GBA.

I liked symphony of the night and (cant remember which one it was, but the one that you could play as alucard, simon, and another character? it was like 15 years ago, memory is dodgy)

Castlevania 3 is the one where you can play as multiple people.

ALL of the Castlevania games rock. You can't go wrong. Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and the NES ones are my personal favorites.

Castlevania 64 is my favorite hands down, I think i've played all of them but 64 stood out the most.

Simon's Quest for the NES was the best. It still has the best music of any Castlevania IMO. Also really enjoyed Super Castlevania on the SNES and Symphony of the Night on the PS.

Personally I liked SoTN best followed closely by all three GBA versions. I didn't really like any of the others very much.

I loved Castlevania III. Was Sypha a guy or girl? I don't remember. I wish I had never traded the cart away. SOTN was great too. Those are probably my two favorites. I played almost all of Circle of the Moon before my gamesave got erased (and no it wasn't a pirate cart, I got it from Circuit City). I played some of Bloodlines on the Genesis. I still have Aria of Sorrow unopened.

I didn't particularly care for Super Castlevania IV though.

[quote name='DaBadGuy']Simon's Quest for the NES was the best.[/quote]

I actually like Simon's Quest the least of the three NES Castlevanias. Castlevania 3 for NES was my favorite with Castlevania 1 a distant second.

I liked all three of the original Game Boy Castlevania's (Adventure, Belmont's Revenge and Legends), and I found SNES Castlevania IV and Genesis Castlevania Bloodlines to be excellent as well.

Symphony of the Night is the best of the best though. I like the PSone Castlevania Chronicles as a throwback to the NES days, but the 3D Castlevanias (N64 & Lament of Innocence) just didn't do much for me.

I agree that the lament of innocence game left me rather... dissapointed at the least.

Also, wouldn't it be great if they did a castlevania collection (pre-PS2), kinda like the sonic collection. I would pay about $20 for it.

SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT is what all other castlevania games wish they could be. IMO the only other one that came close was ARIA OF SORROW for GBA

Anyone who hasn't ever played Dracula X for the Turbo Duo doesn't realize what they're missing - the SNES version, while good, doesn't quite reach the Duo versions level of greatness.

That said, SOTN would be a very close second for me.

As a gigantic Castlevania fan,

1. Castlevania (NES)
2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Playstation)
3. Castlevania III (NES)
4. Dracula X (TurboDuo)
5. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Most of them are good in the series, just stay away from Castlevania Legends and the N64 games.

Hard to argue with SOTN, but AOS and Simon's Quest are alot of fun too IMO. Ok, all of them are. Heck, I even liked C64 pretty well. :?

SOTN is the greatest....

The N64 version, the regualr Castlevania, is not a bad game per se....it's bad for a Castlevania, but they are not bad games like most games are in this generation.

Overall, SOTN, but Super Castlevania IV is probably the best Castlevania that doesn't have RPG qualities.

SOTN is number one in my book.

I am also partial to Aria of Sorrow, I have logged so many hours in that game just fooling around. Super Castlevania IV was the first Castlevania that sunk its hooks in me though, so it always keeps a special place in my heart.

Rondo of Blood for the TG is by far the best "true" Castlevania game, and SOTN is the best "metroid" Castlevania, I don't think there is any real debate in the matter.

I'd have to say the first Castlevania and Simon's Quest, seeing as they are the only Castlevania games I have ever played.

Beating the original Castlevania was pretty hard so it left a great feeling of accomplishment. The ending left a lot to be desired though.

Simon's Quest was just fun. Upgradeable whips, RPG elements, and having to come up with the various parts of Dracula's body in order to bring him back to life and then kick his ass. It was just really cool for it's time. Also as someone else pointed out, the music was pretty good as well. Sounds really good when the Minibosses are playing it.

For some reason when I read your thread title I saw 'Castle Wolfenstein' instead of 'Castlevania' and thought WTF aren't there only like 2 Castle Wolfenstein games?, what kind of discussion topic is that?

Carry on.

bread's done
Back