Need some TV show reccomendations.

I also recommend CSI: NY. I have watched other CSIs, the Law and Orders, and didn't particularly enjoy them. However, I do enjoy CSI: NY. I think it's due to the cast, particularly Carmine Giovinazzo. If they could create a show with him, Vincent D'Onofrio, Marg Helgenberger, and William Peterson, I'd watch it.

[quote name='ph33r m3']
Even though Dexter tried until the shitty ass season finale.[/quote]

It was a slow season but I think it's all setup for a final few seasons. There were a few things that happened this season that seemed less to be about this season's plot and more about foreshadowing future season events. I thought Jimmy Smits was freakin' awesome though. Never really thought much of him before but he got so into that character it was unreal.

I liked the idea of Smits, but watching the outcome of his character I got the feeling the writers were forced to right him in rather than the show asking him to come on. It was a little obvious about where he was headed from the start. I'll still watch Dexter because the shit is always hitting the fan in one way or another.

My favorite series off the top of my head are:

The West Wing
Law and Order: SVU
House

I watch them all religiously (on DVD) except House. And that is only because I don't have it. All of my roommates over the past year or so have went from not liking that I watch any one series in my spare time to skipping studying in favor of watching the show they are now addicted to.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I liked the idea of Smits, but watching the outcome of his character I got the feeling the writers were forced to right him in rather than the show asking him to come on.[/quote]

It was just a much too rapid evolution of the character, way too long in one phase and a sudden shift to the latter phase, like the Star Wars prequel trilogy all over again. What kinda broke the flow the first two seasons set was
how open Dexter was with him, even before he saw Smits character as a threat.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Yep, that's her. lol, Crazy silly Jane. I really do miss Coupling, but after Jeff left and Susan got pregnant the show wasn't really the same. As for her in Leverage it's not flattering her lets put it that way.[/QUOTE]

Well, the show was always intended to culminate that way. Steven Moffat (the writer) and Sue Vertue (the producer) had recently become parents when Moffat thought how they'd gotten to that point would make for a good show. Originally it was going to almost entirely Steve and Susan but he liked the other actors so much that their roles were expanded and given their own character arcs.

The Jane character in the US attempt at Coupling was one of the major screwups. The actress, Lindsay Price, is way hot but she radiates crazy in a Jennifer Tilly sort of way. This meant anyone encountering her shouldn't be surprised at the things she says or does the way they would when first meeting the Gina Bellman version of the character. Another critical point, Jane Christie (UK) was something of a liar about herself, especially her claims of sexual adventurism. It became plain in the last season that her experience wasn't as varied as she claimed and that she said untrue things, such as claiming bisexuality, to draw attention to herself.

Jane Honda (US) wasn't lying or exaggerating when making such claims. In one episode she apparently slept with both the male and female anchors of the Chicago morning newscast that had her up in the helicopter. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing in of itself but it removed a lot of original character's personality.

Trivia item: In the US Coupling, the actresses playing Jane and Susan both grew up in Arcadia, CA, a little town near Pasadena. I cannot help wondering if they knew each other before being cast on the same show. The eight year age difference means they wouldn't have been in school together.

Anyway, that is one of the things I like about British shows. They're frequently designed with an ending in mind, while US shows are expected to drag on forever so long as the rating are there. US show usually don't have a conclusion unless they've had a long run and the star gives notice that they'd like to stop. The earliest example I know of for this is the original version of 'The Fugitive.'

US Coupling was doomed to fail from the start, I mean were talking shows like 90210 and Friends, if that's not enough evidence... I don't know what is. lol

[quote name='epobirs']Anyway, that is one of the things I like about British shows. They're frequently designed with an ending in mind, while US shows are expected to drag on forever so long as the rating are there. US show usually don't have a conclusion unless they've had a long run and the star gives notice that they'd like to stop.[/quote]

I think that's why I like British shows. Although, sometimes the US shows do have a conclusion or a point they are trying to get across at the end, but it's usually their execution that makes it a fail most of the time.

Let me sing the praises of Breaking Bad real quick since it got just one mention in here. To start if you have a tendency to chain watch shows don't start this until you have the 7 hours to see it through to the end it hooks you bad. To me it seemed a lot different from a lot of what I see on TV. The closest I can get to a description is a darker Weeds. IMO it is the superior show on AMC over Mad Men. Who would have known the dad from Malcolm in the Middle could act?

Now I have both Damages and House season 1 waiting on me and I can't decide which to watch first.

[quote name='VipFREAK']US Coupling was doomed to fail from the start, I mean were talking shows like 90210 and Friends, if that's not enough evidence... I don't know what is. lol

I think that's why I like British shows. Although, sometimes the US shows do have a conclusion or a point they are trying to get across at the end, but it's usually their execution that makes it a fail most of the time.[/quote]

Speaking of UK shows that received a US adaptation, I enjoyed Manchild. :oops: I blame it on being a fan of Anthony Head. I heard Kevin Smith say it had been shelved as Showtime instead decided to pick up Californication (which was a good choice).

[quote name='VipFREAK']

I think that's why I like British shows. Although, sometimes the US shows do have a conclusion or a point they are trying to get across at the end, but it's usually their execution that makes it a fail most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Yes, sometimes they have a real ending. But look back and consider how many felt like that ending wasn't slapped together at the last minute when the network announced they were pulling the plug.

One of the real exceptions was Babylon 5. JMS knew how he wanted to wrap it up before the pilot had been shot. Five seasons start to finish and anything else done in spinoffs.

I recall an interview with Joss Whedon, in which he said he always designed each season arc as if it was the last. That he wanted the audience to hope for more but not be left hanging. Given the same task, I'd seek to do the same.

Man I saw the season 1 dvd of Carnivale at my library and was like what the heck. Its a fricking brilliant show. Pretty unique makes me wonder why you don't see more circus shows its an area that has a wealth of stories. I give my full thumbs up wish it had lasted longer than 2 seasons.

Also for new shows The Beast has been pretty good and has potential to get better. Also the United States of Tara has been pretty funny and is definitely different

let me add to the list of shows to watch

House (one of the best shows on tv)
Friday night lights(the show is soo deep)
My name is earl (hilarious)
I love money/charm school(since you love rock and flavor of love)
Heroes

Wolverine and the X-men
Batman the brave adn the bold
Naruto(best anime and manga ever)
Bleach(very good anime and manga)
Fullmetal Alchemist (great show and you get sucked very fast)
Spectacular Spiderman
Transformers animated(one of the best transformers cartoons ever)

^Really Miss that show still.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Buffy the Vampire Slayer

the best TV show ever. EVER![/quote]

Might as well have said Charmed. FAIL

[quote name='VipFREAK']^Really Miss that show still.

Might as well have said Charmed. FAIL[/QUOTE]

Spoken like someone who never saw Buffy. It makes most critics top 25/50 lists when they make them

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']

Fullmetal Alchemist (great show and you get sucked very fast)
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a review of an oddly named prostitute.

I got That 80's show and well... I regret saying I'm glad it was cancelled because after watching it I wished it didn't.

[quote name='epobirs']Well, the show was always intended to culminate that way. Steven Moffat (the writer) and Sue Vertue (the producer) had recently become parents when Moffat thought how they'd gotten to that point would make for a good show. Originally it was going to almost entirely Steve and Susan but he liked the other actors so much that their roles were expanded and given their own character arcs.[/quote]

I finally got to d/l this show and wow... Geezus... It's like they took the UK script and gave it to the US cast. I can't watch this crap.

bread's done
Back