Needed: DTV converter opinions/discussion.

WhipSmartBanky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I'm sure there's a few of you out there who will be affected by the switch from NTSC to ATSC on February 17, 2009, even if it's for a legacy set in a back bedroom.

As you may or may not know, the government is subsidizing up to two $40 vouchers toward the purchase of up to two DTV converters.

http://www.dtv2009.gov

The coupons are arriving in homes now, but this brings up the inevitable question:

Which one is the best? Finding solid, reliable reviews outside of Consumer Reports is pretty difficult, and there aren't many on the market yet. However, the coupons expire three months from when they're issued, so if you've already received them, you don't have much of a "wait and see" luxury.

Here are the top three contenders I've found so far:

RCA DTA800 $49.87

Magnavox TB100MW9 $52.97
Zenith DTT900 (Same as Insignia NS-DXA1) $59.99

Has anyone purchased any of these yet? What're your opinions?

I have a question - I understand in order to get HD channels, youre TV must be at least HD ready. Do these converter boxes simply convert analog to digital or can they pick up digital HD OTA channels as well? I have a HD ready tv in my bedroom and might pick up a converter box (to hopefully pick up OTA HD)after coupon for it.

[quote name='kevzik']I have a question - I understand in order to get HD channels, youre TV must be at least HD ready. Do these converter boxes simply convert analog to digital or can they pick up digital HD OTA channels as well? I have a HD ready tv in my bedroom and might pick up a converter box (to hopefully pick up OTA HD)after coupon for it.[/QUOTE]
As far as I understand, the converters are digital-to-analog, meaning it takes the digital signal and down-converts it for standard televisions. The ones that are certified under the rebate program will not output higher than 480i, so if you're looking for HD picture, you won't get it.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']As far as I understand, the converters are digital-to-analog, meaning it takes the digital signal and down-converts it for standard televisions. The ones that are certified under the rebate program will not output higher than 480i, so if you're looking for HD picture, you won't get it.[/quote]

Gotcha.

I'm glad you brought this topic up Banky, as I've been wondering the same myself. I got my coupon the other day and don't want to waste it on a stinker. Where I live, the one with the best reception of weak signals is a must.

MjC

The Zenith sounds like the winner. CR said the Insignia had some quirks with the composite video output being intermittently blurry. Still waiting on my coupon...

[quote name='redline']The Zenith sounds like the winner. CR said the Insignia had some quirks with the composite video output being intermittently blurry. Still waiting on my coupon...[/QUOTE]
The Zenith and the Insignia are apparently the same PCB...I'll see if I can find the link. Perhaps the differences were because of a faulty unit.

Edit:

http://thebuzzatmpt.blogspot.com/2008/03/we-test-em-digital-converter-boxes.html

They're both made by LG and the only difference is the logo on the case. If you have Reward Zone, it's probably better to get the points by getting the Insignia, otherwise, it makes no difference apparently.

The Zenith sounds like the winner. CR said the Insignia had some quirks with the composite video output being intermittently blurry. Still waiting on my coupon...

[quote name='redline']The Zenith sounds like the winner. CR said the Insignia had some quirks with the composite video output being intermittently blurry. Still waiting on my coupon...[/QUOTE]
The Zenith and the Insignia are apparently the same PCB...I'll see if I can find the link. Perhaps the differences were because of a faulty unit.

Edit:

http://thebuzzatmpt.blogspot.com/2008/03/we-test-em-digital-converter-boxes.html

They're both made by LG and the only difference is the logo on the case. If you have Reward Zone, it's probably better to get the points by getting the Insignia, otherwise, it makes no difference apparently.

I picked up the Magnavox just for the hell of it. Only one at my local walmart so i decided to get it. I have cable but havent had the time to run it to my sons room yet (hes only 18 months). get great reception when i put the rabbit ears on the window sill. overall satisfied for the 10 dollars i paid for it. good to have a backup when the cable goes out...i'll be picking up another one for the garage

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6487_7-6613951.html

They compared the RCA, Insignia/Zenith, and GE boxes. According to them, they liked the RCA one the best, but I don't like the fact you cannot manually add or delete channels - it must autoscan.

They're saying to wait for the Echostar TR-40, but I don't think that's available anytime soon, and if you already have your coupons, you don't have the luxury of waiting.

My very brief impressions of the Zenith box:

Picture quality is super, especially with true HD widescreen source material. It down-samples like a champ. I've never seen TV look better on a non-HD tube set.

Sound quality leaves a LOT to be desired, however. I wouldn't say it's as bad as other reviews, but it's definitely not as impressive as the picture quality.

The options and features are fantastic. I love the audible signal meter that you can pop up, so if you're adjusting your antenna and you can't see the TV, you can hear your signal strength. The ability to set the aspect ratio on each channel individually is gold too. You can let it autodetect and set aspect ratio by program, force letterbox, force cropped, or force squeezed. My only complaint with the features is a complete lack of DVR/VCR connectivity, or even a damn program timer. That really mars an otherwise great feature set.

The box itself has a sturdy, metal case - the front looks like a non-moving red Cylon-eye when powered off, and lights up a deep blue when active.

It'll do a fine job though, at least until better options come along once the DTV switch finally happens.

Well, I posted some impressions (if you can call it that :) ) in the other thread. I don't see how all the boxes wouldn't make the tv screen all blurry, since I read that the picture is compressed or what have you. I like the analog signal best. The whole "it gives you more channels" thing is a load of crock. Yeah, at the expense of making your tv look like an N64 game. Kidding. But almost. You can see the compression when watching a show if it shows a close-up of someone. And when they're far back jaggies and blurriness. Not to mention when the signal goes bad. Blocks of Rage. (Hey! I just thought of a new game! hehe) I have the insignia one, it has a red light when off and a PS2/Wii-like Blue light when on. Only cool thing about it. Anyway, I don't need more channels.

I want to do a search on how long these things last before tearing up. Thought I read someone say they go out too easy. I wanna take mine back and just use the money towards a Wii or something. Don't know if I will or not though.

Mine expires June 6th and it fucking pisses me off. I signed up thinknig they would run out of coupons and there aren't even enough and didn't know they would expire!

Come Chrstmas I just know there will be ads "Free after coupon!" and that pisses me off.

Of course this whole thing pisses me off because the government can make 30+ billion on the sale of the signas and should give these out for free.

I got the Zenith box a month ago and it's damn impressive. I had to pay more to get it, but I would of bought this even without the coupon. I wasn't expecting the picture to be so crisp but I literally had my jaw drop after seeing how clear the picture got. The box have a lot of features like checking the signal strength which is very helpful. A guide button to see whats on next and gives info on the shows. The remote layout is very easy to use. And if you ever run out of batteries or lose the remote, you can still change the channels from the box. There's no button for the menu though.

Here's a comparison shot. Channel 5 was pretty much impossible to watch. Which sucked cause I couldn't get Family Guy reruns. After the digital box is plugged in, its like I got a brand new TV. What's more amazing, the TV antenna I use has a broken left ear, and I'm still getting perfect, clear signals on each channel.

Anyone know the best and/or cheapest amplified antenna to get? I wouldn't go with cheapest though, unless you buy it and it works perfectly from the get go. I know results may vary depending on where you live. I know the local K-Mart has the Phillps brand and Best Buy has RCA. Here's what I remember about some of them.

K-Mart has 3 different Phillips. (don't know what dB stands for) And some of these could be wrong as I was there last night.

32 dB at $21.99
40 something? dB at $29.99?
50 something? dB at $34.99 (the price is right though) I was wondering if this one might take batteries. It has arrows you press to make it rotate. There isn't a loop thing on top, instead the thing is Flat. I'll do a search on it maybe.

Best Buy had an opened and returned one for 26.99 55dB (RCA)
Most of theirs started out at $32.99 and only had a whatever dB of 10. So... not getting those.

Now I just have to check Wal-Mart or Radio Shack.

bread's done
Back