Netflix confirmed for PS3 - Coming next month. No additional cost to Netflix members!

Tried it out for a bit. Like Jasonofindy said, the streaming seems to work well so far but my god is the navigation slow and clunky. Normally I fault Microsoft for clunky menu navigation, but this makes Netflix on LIVE look godly. I can't fault Sony for this though as it definitely looks like it was designed by the Netflix team and not at all built to suit Sony's slick XMB and OS. I think when a disc-less, Sony-designed version comes out next year it'd probably be a lot more pleasant to use. For now, I'd rather stick with LIVE's offering.

Is the disc from Netflix or from Sony? I'm thinking about signing for a free trial to see how this works.

I'm wondering why it's going to take so long for a discless Netflix app... I'd think it would just be a matter of running the software off of the HD vs a disc but I don't exactly know how all this works so I'm probably missing something.

Just go the disc and trying it out.

Like others said the menu/navigation system is WAY more clunky then the Xbox version. I do notice that the PS3 seems to start the shows alot quicker then my Xbox does though. The picture quality is good but I am noticing some bluring that I do not see on my Xbox. This does by no means take away from the overall picture quality just strange to my eye. Please note this is not an internet connection problem this is the way that the PS3 streams as opposed to the Xbox. Overall I am very happy and now have the ability to stream entertainment both to my Living Room and Bedroom.

[quote name='NJMane']The picture quality is good but I am noticing some bluring that I do not see on my Xbox. [/QUOTE]

I can say that I haven't experienced this yet. In my case once things are streaming the two are identical. Since you have them in different rooms, it could be a difference in how the two TVs render the image. Is one CRT and one LCD?

As far as a quicker streaming startup, I am not sure if it actually starts faster or if it just appears to because it only shows one screen (Netflix with spinning circle of dots) as opposed to actually showing multiple screens like the 360. (the speed determination and data bar caching screens). In any case it at least psychologically feels like it starts a bit faster.

Well I just watched one of the craziest Japanese movies ever called Machine Girl on my PS3. Good stuff. Anyway, The movie streamed very quickly in SD. Didn't stop halfway through or anything. Audio was out of sync for me just by a few milliseconds. Picture quality was good. I am satisfied. Getting through is a little slow, but this is through a Blu-Ray disc and not software installed on the Hard Drive. I'm sure the UI will definitely be revamped when released in a Firmware update.

Wow what a disappointment this turned out to be. I mean it is pretty cool that we don't have to pay an extra monthly fee for a service like XBL gold to access Netflix, but you can tell that this UI was rushed. Hopefully once Netflix is integrated into the XMB things will smooth out, but I am very disappointed with how slow and clunky the UI is.

Is it possible to stream to both the 360 and the PS3 at the same time?

My brother's got a PS3 at home in Ohio, and I have a 360 here in CA. I'm willing to let him use my Netflix account on his system from time to time, but I don't want to encounter issues between the two.

Indeed, you can. Just tested it out on my systems and my computer. On the Netflix site, it says "You can watch instantly on up to 6 unique devices." Wasn't sure if they meant you could have 6 devices registered to your account, but I did just do three, so I assume they mean 6 at once.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']For those who got your disc today, did you all get an email and/or popup on netflix.com letting you know it was on its way?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']I can say that I haven't experienced this yet. In my case once things are streaming the two are identical. Since you have them in different rooms, it could be a difference in how the two TVs render the image. Is one CRT and one LCD?

As far as a quicker streaming startup, I am not sure if it actually starts faster or if it just appears to because it only shows one screen (Netflix with spinning circle of dots) as opposed to actually showing multiple screens like the 360. (the speed determination and data bar caching screens). In any case it at least psychologically feels like it starts a bit faster.[/QUOTE]

I am running it on the same tv as before (I have not hooked up the bedroom 360 yet). I only notice the blur during camera swings. I asked my girlfriend about it to and she noticed it too but only after I pointed it out. Its not a deal breaker but I notice it. BTW its on a 50" Panasonic 1080p Plasma.

I also timed the 2 for loading up the same thing and the PS3 (for me) is slightly faster by several seconds. Again though your connection will dictate this.

[quote name='bordjon']whoops - that's what I get for talking before actually putting the disc in!

Eh - but still - I'm a lazy ass and don't want to have to put the disc in every time I want to watch netflix. I'll try it out though. I watch instant a good bit with my wife. I get four bars for quality on xbox - even with hd stuff so I don't really have a reason to switch over to ps3 for this. Both my systems are plugged in with ethernet cables.[/QUOTE]
They will integrate it next year. Netflix just did the disc thing so they get this out asap and could start before the holidays.

"Taking longer than expected..." :spins

Is everyone trying to login right now? I can't connect to Netflix to even get an activation code to enter on the website. :(

*** woohoo! working now! Nice....

Last edited by a moderator:
Man the netflix works perfectly. It also looks simply fantastic. Highly recommended. I have it on 360 and now on PS3 and the PQ is identical. Watched heroes on both in HD and theres 0 difference. Well, cept the rape MS does to you for needing xbox live gold (LOL, buh-bye to that).

Has anyone else had problems with the aspect ratio? When watching SD content the PS3 automatically changes it's output resolution to what I assume is 480p, and no matter what I do all content is displayed at 4:3. I haven't tried HD streams but since they're native widescreen I doubt it would be a problem.

It's incredibly annoying, though, since most of the movies on there are SD. Anything on the PS3's end or is it likely my monitor?

I don't know why, but I had horrible audio sync issues with the disc last night. Tried restarting, didn't make any difference. After a few seconds, I couldn't get the audio back to normal from about a 1/2 second delay.

60GB model, streaming wirelessly. Never had any problems with PlayOn on this unit. In fact, I went back to PlayOn afterward.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']I don't know why, but I had horrible audio sync issues with the disc last night. Tried restarting, didn't make any difference. After a few seconds, I couldn't get the audio back to normal from about a 1/2 second delay.

60GB model, streaming wirelessly. Never had any problems with PlayOn on this unit. In fact, I went back to PlayOn afterward.

MjC[/QUOTE]

That's usually a case of not having enough bandwidth. My GF was downloading something once while I started watching a movie and the audio was off by a food 2-3 seconds. I paused the movie, waited about 10 seconds and then rewound back about 15-30 seconds and it was fine. It seemed more like the buffer didn't fill up enough before the video started (for my case)...

[quote name='johnnypark']Has anyone else had problems with the aspect ratio? When watching SD content the PS3 automatically changes it's output resolution to what I assume is 480p, and no matter what I do all content is displayed at 4:3. I haven't tried HD streams but since they're native widescreen I doubt it would be a problem.

It's incredibly annoying, though, since most of the movies on there are SD. Anything on the PS3's end or is it likely my monitor?[/QUOTE]

Is there a specific show you'd like checked to compare?

So far no probs for me. Your monitor probably doesn't have the perfect pic size option to tweak 4:3 content to fit a widescreen tv/monitor.

I watched Dead Like Me and it shows as 4:3 viewed in it's "natural" state on a Toshiba set, but is squashed and stretched out wide when in "Full". Luckily, I have a "Theater Wide 1" option that perfectly fits it into widescreen without distortion. The tv sees and labels the PS3 signal as 480p 16:9.

Picked out Ben X (foreign flix) and that displays perfectly at 480p 16:9 full resolution. Nothing to change.

I'm really happy that Netflix streaming came to fruition. Makes my new PS3 that much more justifiable and enjoyable.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Is there a specific show you'd like checked to compare?

So far no probs for me. Your monitor probably doesn't have the perfect pic size option to tweak 4:3 content to fit a widescreen tv/monitor.

I watched Dead Like Me and it shows as 4:3 viewed in it's "natural" state on a Toshiba set, but is squashed and stretched out wide when in "Full". Luckily, I have a "Theater Wide 1" option that perfectly fits it into widescreen without distortion. The tv sees and labels the PS3 signal as 480p 16:9.

Picked out Ben X (foreign flix) and that displays perfectly at 480p 16:9 full resolution. Nothing to change.

I'm really happy that Netflix streaming came to fruition. Makes my new PS3 that much more justifiable and enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I tried an episode of Dexter and Henry Poole is Here, both had that scrunched look of a 16:9 image forced into 4:3.

[quote name='johnnypark']I tried an episode of Dexter and Henry Poole is Here, both had that scrunched look of a 16:9 image forced into 4:3.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a problem on your end. Everything works perfectly here.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Sounds like a problem on your end. Everything works perfectly here.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll have to play around with my monitor, then. Thanks for checking!

[quote name='johnnypark']Guess I'll have to play around with my monitor, then. Thanks for checking![/QUOTE]

Remember, this thing runs as if it is a blu-ray movie playing. So check the settings under DVD/Blu-ray in the xmb.

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Has anyone made a case cover for this disc yet?[/QUOTE]

i'm going to use that play beyond blu ray case that comes with the ps3. Just waiting to go to work on monday and printing it out on a nice color printer. there has to be a blu ray cover format out there somewhere on the internet.

Hey guys I have my account on my PS3 as well as my girlfriend's PS3. With the disc would I be able to use Netflix on my PS3 and her PS3? Of course I'm not talking about simultaneously.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Remember, this thing runs as if it is a blu-ray movie playing. So check the settings under DVD/Blu-ray in the xmb.[/QUOTE]

And maybe consider the type of video cable you're using. Some of those video options are only possible when outputting progressive.

I use component video cables, and the two shows johnnypark mentioned displays correctly.

[quote name='SynGamer']That's usually a case of not having enough bandwidth. My GF was downloading something once while I started watching a movie and the audio was off by a food 2-3 seconds. I paused the movie, waited about 10 seconds and then rewound back about 15-30 seconds and it was fine. It seemed more like the buffer didn't fill up enough before the video started (for my case)...[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is the case in this instance. I've got 5 meg cable service and nothing else was running over the net at any point. I had the same issue again last night. I have yet to get this Netfilx disc to stream correctly.

Never had an issue like this using the PC, 360, or PlayOn. I guess I'll wait till it's a XMB option and see if it works any better then. In the meantime, PlayOn works fine. Only real benefit of the disc would be that I wouldn't have to leave my computer active all the time.

MjC

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Has anyone made a case cover for this disc yet?[/QUOTE]

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2009/11/the-perfect-cover-for-your-netflix-ps3-streaming-disc.html

i printed it out and using it now looks good (fyi using my PS3 game case from rock band) also has anyone noticed the pictures load up faster now? used to take awhile, but now they seem to load within 7 seconds of it entering my queue

also if anyone needs a good site to see what's being added to instant watch www.streamingsoon.com

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back