Netflix confirmed for PS3 - Coming next month. No additional cost to Netflix members!

So when I had my 360 and it got netflix not all movies could be streamed is that still so?

I ended up cancelling after the netflix trial since most the movies I did want to see where not available to stream anyway.

That issue was worked out a bit ago, I believe, but now that Netflix is showing up on PS3, I fully expect Sony to limit what titles can and cannot be streamed to the 360.

Thanks for the info. I logged in and reserved a spot when the Netflix streaming disc comes out later this year. Kinda funny that you'll still have to pop in a disc to run the application in the early stages.

Initially, watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members. The free instant streaming disc leverages Blu-ray's BD-Live™ technology to access the Internet and activate the Netflix user interface on the PS3 system, which must be online via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Netflix members simply slide the disc into their PS3 systems to reveal movies and TV episodes that can be watched instantly. These titles are conveniently organized into a variety of categories based on members' personal preferences, popular genres, new arrivals and members' individual instant Queues. Members can use the Netflix Web site or navigate directly on their PS3 systems to add movies and TV shows to their Queues. With the PS3 system's Wireless Controller, members can choose a movie to watch from their instant Queues or just play directly from any of the lists. They also have the ability to read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they have the option of fast-forwarding and rewinding the video stream via the Wireless Controller.

Netflix members and PS3 system owners can now reserve a free instant streaming disc for PS3 systems by going to www.netflix.com/ps3. Upon availability, the instant streaming disc will be delivered for free by first-class mail, generally one business day after members request it.

I'm assuming Sony will eventually incorporate this into the XMB? Hoping so at least. All I know is I have 1 more reason to get rid of my 360...

The disc is just initially, they are going to have a netflix app on the store or built into the XMB in a few months. First they are going to do cross game chat, then the netflix app i assume. Hopefully sony puts one of those discs inside every single PS3 being sold this holiday season with a large red NETFLIX sticker on the boxes. Really great news. I loved netflix on the 360 so time to re-subscribe to netflix.

I have four 1 month trials for Netflix that expire Oct. 31st. Since this is coming out next month, perfect chance to try it...PM me if you want one.

I hope to hell Sony doesn't pull their stuff or cripple it on 360. This is a cool announcement for PS3 people, and one I expected to happen for sometime, but I'll still just use my 360.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I hope to hell Sony doesn't pull their stuff or cripple it on 360. This is a cool announcement for PS3 people, and one I expected to happen for sometime, but I'll still just use my 360.[/QUOTE]

I hope they DO pull their content for 360 users. Sony needs every edge they can get and it's only fair that Sony users get to watch Sony movies...

[quote name='Brownjohn']Looks like the press release was taken down from netflix's site...[/QUOTE]

Bandwidth or did someone let the cat out of the bag a little early...?

Cool. Pretty sure I signed up early enough to get one of the discs. My Live subscription ends next Sept. so I'll keep my 360 until then, but man, not really sure what to do with it seeing as how I hardly play it these days.

[quote name='SynGamer']I hope they DO pull their content for 360 users. Sony needs every edge they can get and it's only fair that Sony users get to watch Sony movies...[/QUOTE]

In a way, i hope they dont since im tired of exclusive crap from the treatment MS gave sony this gen, but when you are the content owner, you deserve the benefits of being the owner of that property. So if they do remove sony/columbia movies/shows from the 360, i wont shed a tear for 360 only owners.

Wow. I heard some great things about Netflix. Could be a good alternative for cable for me and the girlfriend because her roommates are too cheap to pay monthly for it. Haha.

Edit: Oh yeah, do you think the PS3 would be able to stream the movies fast enough? I'm connected via wireless and my connection is decent enough. I've heard some 360 users complain that via wireless, the streams were kind of choppy.

Oh this is awesome. My dad is signed up for Blockbuster's similar service, so I'm going to convince him to switch to Netflix so I can take advantage of this.

Does this stream in HD on the 360? And are blu-rays included in the physical aspect of Netflix at no extra cost?

Reserved my Disc for my PS3 from netflix.com, now I have no reason to have a live gold membership since Netflix streaming was all I was using it for, good thing too I think it expires next month.

how is the selection of streaming tv shows on netflix? Also does it remember where you stopped within a movie (I rarely have time/a desire to watch a whole movie at once)? This is tempting.

i love this service on the 360, and with my live access potentially in question this is great for me

To whoever asked, blu rays are an extra dollar a month.

[quote name='SnoT']So when I had my 360 and it got netflix not all movies could be streamed is that still so?

I ended up cancelling after the netflix trial since most the movies I did want to see where not available to stream anyway.[/QUOTE]

Still the case. You can only stream so many things. Majority of new releases are not on there (normally only the B movies). I found that they come on about the same time they get put on Starz. As for TV shows, some shows are on there and others are not. I also cancelled it after finding that the choices that I would want to see werent available.

Here is a site that shows new releases to the Netflix instant watch for those who are interested: http://thenowhereman.com/netflix/

is this special disc from netflix supposed to be..special? special enough for one to sign up now and get? for some reason i want this disc badly...

[quote name='fizzywix']Oh this is awesome. My dad is signed up for Blockbuster's similar service, so I'm going to convince him to switch to Netflix so I can take advantage of this.

Does this stream in HD on the 360? And are blu-rays included in the physical aspect of Netflix at no extra cost?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but only select movies/television shows are in HD, they have a decent selection though.

It costs extra for blu-ray, I believe it's $2.00 extra for the $8.99 plan which gives you 1 DVD out and unlimited instant streaming on the 360/PC and now PS3.

Does this stream in HD on the 360?
Yes, some content streams in HD on the 360 (if Netflix has it available in HD).

[quote name='SynGamer']I hope they DO pull their content for 360 users. Sony needs every edge they can get and it's only fair that Sony users get to watch Sony movies...[/QUOTE]
LOL. They won't.

[quote name='mis0']Edit: Oh yeah, do you think the PS3 would be able to stream the movies fast enough? I'm connected via wireless and my connection is decent enough. I've heard some 360 users complain that via wireless, the streams were kind of choppy.[/QUOTE]
It'll be no different than the 360 - wireless isn't going to be as good as wired. For most people it should be fine though as long as your wireless connection is decent.

Answers to a few questions.

1. Is wireless decent quality for this?
As with anything, it will largely depend on a number of factors. However, I use wireless with my Xbox 360 and it streams the HD content fine. Netflix caches content, so it isn't exactly live streaming.

2. Is the selection any good?
Depends on you personally. There are thousands of movies and TV shows on there now. Shows like The Office, Dexter, and Friday Night Lights have multiple seasons, if not their entire runs. Many of the films are older, but they have more recent hits like Wall-e and Step Brothers.

Still, most of the content is older. Lots of it is the direct-to-video store you skipped over in the 80s (for those who remember real video stores before Blockbuster). If you're someone who will be happy with just a huge selection of movies and TV to watch whenever you want, then you might like it. I personally love it, but then I like old films. There's so much on there I haven't seen, and I even teach film at a university.

3. Will Sony pull content from Xbox 360?
Doubt it. The issue with Sony material a year or so ago on Xbox 360 was supposedly a glitch. I don't think Netflix wants to get into the habit of offering different tiers of services to different customers based on what interface they use (though they do this already to some extent with the HD content). If anything, I think it would be more likely that Sony would try adding exclusive content for the PS3 users. That's more plausible, but the other is pretty far fetched.

This is great. i always said as soon as ps3 can get netflix i'll sign up for it! so here is my chance to try it out. does any one know exactly when next month it will be available??

YES!!! FINALLY!!! No additional cost and everything? Can't wait till next month now.

EDIT: I just visited the site for additional information and it says you need a streaming disc. You can get one free from their site. Once you click get a free disc it will send one to your address later on the months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the link to the disc. Got mine reserved. Looking forward to using this on the PS3 instead of my 360.

If Sony is smart they will limit Sony Pictures movies to the PS3 only. MS has basically built the 360 on snatching exclusives with large payouts this entire generation. This wouldn't even be like that since Sony does actually own all the rights to those movies.

I used to be netflix's best customer (I never got around to returning stuff), so I quit a long time ago. This would bring me back, but I have a few questions:

1. How fast does new episodes of tv shows go up, do they go up the next day like hulu?

2. Are the movies/tv shows cut or censored in anyway (I saw some Showtime tv shows, would love to watch them uncut without having to subscribe to showtime).

[quote name='MisterBee']1. How fast does new episodes of tv shows go up, do they go up the next day like hulu?[/quote]
Very few "new" shows are up. Mostly what you get is once a show has hit DVD, they release it on Netflix, as well. One notable exception to this is Heroes, which has all of its current season episodes online. Not sure how fast they go online, though.

2. Are the movies/tv shows cut or censored in anyway (I saw some Showtime tv shows, would love to watch them uncut without having to subscribe to showtime).
No, the shows are not cut any different than the DVD versions.

[quote name='DantheApe']i love this service on the 360, and with my live access potentially in question this is great for me

To whoever asked, blu rays are an extra dollar a month.[/QUOTE]

$2.00 last I checked (2 days ago).

[quote name='jling84']If Sony is smart they will limit Sony Pictures movies to the PS3 only. MS has basically built the 360 on snatching exclusives with large payouts this entire generation. This wouldn't even be like that since Sony does actually own all the rights to those movies.[/QUOTE]

It'd be stupid of them to do that from a financial perspective. And given Sony's current financial situation, they'll get whatever revenue they can from wherever they can. The only reason that help up Sony movies initially being on 360 through Netflix was Crossing T's and Dotting I's.

[quote name='jling84']If Sony is smart they will limit Sony Pictures movies to the PS3 only. MS has basically built the 360 on snatching exclusives with large payouts this entire generation. This wouldn't even be like that since Sony does actually own all the rights to those movies.[/QUOTE]

Yes because limiting your target audience is always smart. :roll:

Lets try to push consumers into buying one $300 console over another so that they can have access to a few more streaming movies and tv shows? Great idea. I'm sure that won't piss off or alienate anyone.

[quote name='Puffa469']Yes because limiting your target audience is always smart. :roll:

Lets try to push consumers into buying one $300 console over another so that they can have access to a few more streaming movies and tv shows? Great idea. I'm sure that won't piss off or alienate anyone.[/QUOTE]

It won't. The only people who would be alienated would be 360 owners, therefore, Sony has nothing to lose. However, Sony would have an added advantage for PS3 owners, I really fail to see how this would hurt Sony at all...

[quote name='Puffa469']Yes because limiting your target audience is always smart. :roll:

Lets try to push consumers into buying one $300 console over another so that they can have access to a few more streaming movies and tv shows? Great idea. I'm sure that won't piss off or alienate anyone.[/QUOTE]

It's ok to alienate 360 owners though. They're not even human.

[quote name='SynGamer']It won't. The only people who would be alienated would be 360 owners, therefore, Sony has nothing to lose. However, Sony would have an added advantage for PS3 owners, I really fail to see how this would hurt Sony at all...[/QUOTE]

It seems like Sony has an advantage here already. These movies seem to have BD Live, or at least some of them. And I'm guessing that also means DVD features, which are part of the reason I buy DVD's. If a DVD/BD doesn't have cool extra features, it feels like I've been cheating. So, if those come back to streaming, especially stuff I pay for, that's a cool bonus.

[quote name='SynGamer']It won't. The only people who would be alienated would be 360 owners, therefore, Sony has nothing to lose. However, Sony would have an added advantage for PS3 owners, I really fail to see how this would hurt Sony at all...[/QUOTE]

I can't really imagine how this would help anyone, even Sony, and I can't understand why you should be so excited to see Xbox users lose the ability to stream some movies. You are trying to make it sound like being able to stream a few more movies from Netflix is enough to make people buy a PS3? I don't think many people are basing their console purchases on so flimsy a reason as this. And if they are, these are not likely the people who would know that the Netflix services that the Xbox and PS3 get are different.

I think a more plausible explanation is this: for Sony, having the Netflix service is a positive thing, since it is one more feature they can advertise. Whether or not it is worth it or possible to explain to consumers that their service differs from the Xbox Netflix service is arguable; I do not think they gain much by doing this, and I don't think it is worth the negative PR they would gain by locking out some Sony movies.

Also, adding Netflix service to the PS3 is a positive thing for Netflix, as well, since it likely means they will get more subscribers. But this is the extent to which it is a good thing for Netflix. If it turns out that they will have to degrade their service in order to do this (by locking out some users from Sony content), they will have to consider whether they gain more PS3-based subscribers than they lose from subscribers who are now dissatisfied with the service.

More likely, they will not have to make this decision, since Netflix will probably insist that Sony not do this. Netflix would essentially be adding a feature to the PS3, and for Sony to require that Netflix downgrade their service for this privilege seems too much to ask.

[quote name='62t']MS better get rid of that netflix only for gold member[/QUOTE]

Further reason to not pay for XBL then. As it is, I'm really debating what I want to do with my 360. I hardly ever use it anymore, and most games I can get cross-platform now. The only exclusives I see myself wanting is Mass Effect 2, but I could always get it on the PC.

[quote name='_heretic']I can't really imagine how this would help anyone, even Sony, and I can't understand why you should be so excited to see Xbox users lose the ability to stream some movies. You are trying to make it sound like being able to stream a few more movies from Netflix is enough to make people buy a PS3? I don't think many people are basing their console purchases on so flimsy a reason as this. And if they are, these are not likely the people who would know that the Netflix services that the Xbox and PS3 get are different.

I think a more plausible explanation is this: for Sony, having the Netflix service is a positive thing, since it is one more feature they can advertise. Whether or not it is worth it or possible to explain to consumers that their service differs from the Xbox Netflix service is arguable; I do not think they gain much by doing this, and I don't think it is worth the negative PR they would gain by locking out some Sony movies.

Also, adding Netflix service to the PS3 is a positive thing for Netflix, as well, since it likely means they will get more subscribers. But this is the extent to which it is a good thing for Netflix. If it turns out that they will have to degrade their service in order to do this (by locking out some users from Sony content), they will have to consider whether they gain more PS3-based subscribers than they lose from subscribers who are now dissatisfied with the service.

More likely, they will not have to make this decision, since Netflix will probably insist that Sony not do this. Netflix would essentially be adding a feature to the PS3, and for Sony to require that Netflix downgrade their service for this privilege seems too much to ask.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for explaining this to the SDF.

Sony's goal is this to expand the market for it's films, not limit it.

Getting Netflix on the PS3 is a great selling point for the PS3, taking those films away from 360 Netflix users doesn't help sell anymore PS3's, it only pisses off 360 only owning Netflix users and generates bad publicity for Sony.

That makes as much sense as Sony only letting people steam their Netflix films to PC's if they are VIAO PC's.

And as Heretic said, there's no way Netflix would go along with an idea this stupid. It only hurts them, and thats not the goal of this partnership to bring Netflix to the PS3.

Anyone who thinks removing Sony owned films from the 360's Netflix service is a 'Smart' idea needs to go take A Business Management or Marketing 101 course at their local community college.

bread's done
Back