Netflix confirmed for PS3 - Coming next month. No additional cost to Netflix members!

Netflix guy just confirmed the PS3 app (the one on disc) supports HD Streaming, and that the XMB App will be out next year. As bison would say, THIS IS DELICIOUS!

Hopefully early next year, because while I like that Netflix is coming to the PS3, inserting a disc each time will eventually grow tiresome. Still, looking forward to seeing the quality for each...see if there is a difference.

[quote name='Puffa469']Yes because limiting your target audience is always smart. :roll:

Lets try to push consumers into buying one $300 console over another so that they can have access to a few more streaming movies and tv shows? Great idea. I'm sure that won't piss off or alienate anyone.[/QUOTE]I think it would be a good decision by Sony to not allow their movies on Netflix for 360. Sony needs to give people reasons to own a PS3 over a 360, and that's one of them. MS does it all the time, pays companies money to not support Sony or timed exclusives, so I don't see anything wrong with Sony doing the same.

Update: Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities noted that the Blu-ray disc required for Netflix playback on the PS3 may circumvent exclusivity clauses instituted by Microsoft. "We believe that the exclusive arrangement limits Netflix's ability to appear on the 'dashboard' for the PS3 or the Wii." Additionally, Pachter believes Netflix streaming will expand to Nintendo's console next year. "We anticipate that a similar arrangement will be announced for the Wii in the next 12 months."
Michael Pachter takes a guess at why it's being done with a disc for now and that the Wii will probably get a similar arrangement at some point.

Wow, I'm kinda surprised to see people *hoping* that Sony pulls out their films from the 360 version of Netflix. I can understand how some may feel that it'd be smart financially (although I'm not entirely sure how reducing the number of people watching your company's films is smart...Netflix selection isn't going to make or break which system most people purchase), but I don't know why anyone would root for a segment of the gaming population to lose a portion of the movies they can watch.

I have both systems, so I don't care too much either way. Personally though, it'd seem pretty shitty if exclusivity began entering the realm of Netflix.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think it would be a good decision by Sony to not allow their movies on Netflix for 360. Sony needs to give people reasons to own a PS3 over a 360, and that's one of them. MS does it all the time, pays companies money to not support Sony or timed exclusives, so I don't see anything wrong with Sony doing the same.[/QUOTE]

People wanting an all-around media capable system area already going to go with the PS3. Cutting 360 owners from Sony movies won't guarantee a sizable portion of them will migrate to the PS3 just to stream those titles, especially since they can still get them in the mail. In my opinion, doing so would only be [an albeit minor] blow to their image and expose less people to their company's films.

[quote name='tenma']Wow, I'm kinda surprised to see people *hoping* that Sony pulls out their films from the 360 version of Netflix. I can understand how some may feel that it'd be smart financially (although I'm not entirely sure how reducing the number of people watching your company's films is smart...Netflix selection isn't going to make or break which system most people purchase), but I don't know why anyone would root for a segment of the gaming population to lose a portion of the movies they can watch.

I have both systems, so I don't care too much either way. Personally though, it'd seem pretty shitty if exclusivity began entering the realm of Netflix.[/QUOTE]MS technically had some timed exclusivity over Universal Movies and Television shows. IMO, that's really no different than Sony only allowing their stuff on PS3. I even wish Sony Music wouldn't license music for Lips (only SingStar). If MS didn't pull similar kind of crap to Sony, I wouldn't wish this, but they do.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think it would be a good decision by Sony to not allow their movies on Netflix for 360. Sony needs to give people reasons to own a PS3 over a 360, and that's one of them. MS does it all the time, pays companies money to not support Sony or timed exclusives, so I don't see anything wrong with Sony doing the same.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link for this? I don't doubt you're telling the truth, but I'm just looking for more details regarding this.

And timed exclusives suck in the gaming industry and would suck in the movie industry, but at least that's better than outright exclusivity. I don't have stock in Sony and I don't work for Sony, so maybe that's why I'm more interested in seeing as much media be available to as many people as I can than I am in comeuppance. Seeing 360 owners get shafted would make me as upset as seeing PS3 owners get shafted. And if browsing Netflix on 360 is preferred to browsing on PS3 to some people, it'd just be nice to know that you don't have to use one console to watch certain movies and another console to watch others. I'm not a fan of fragmenting the market unnecessarily.

[quote name='tenma'] Seeing 360 owners get shafted would make me as upset as seeing PS3 owners get shafted.[/QUOTE]Why would it be a problem? I can't count how many times PS3 owners got shafted over stuff due to MS exclusivity, patents (such as their custom soundtrack software patent which can replace any in-game music with custom music), etc. There's going to be various exclusives on each platforms. 360 can use twitter on the dashboard now which PS3 users can't do unless they use the browser.

But you gotta understand that I am a big PS3 fan here and have to deal with the shafting enough (although I own a PS3, 360, and Wii).

I can understand why Sony may want to one-up Microsoft - I'm just saying that I won't be rooting for it. I was upset when I heard about Microsoft patenting the custom soundtrack feature even before I had a PS3 (although it's not like Sony probably wouldn't have done the same thing in their shoes). I'm not excusing Microsoft, I'm just saying making everything exclusive doesn't end up helping anyone but the company. The lack of built-in custom soundtrack options on PS3 is evidence of that.

How much bandwidth do we need to stream 1080p? Anything less than that doesn't really interest me with blu-ray drive on PS3 that can play all the 1080p content I want.

[quote name='SynGamer']Further reason to not pay for XBL then. As it is, I'm really debating what I want to do with my 360. I hardly ever use it anymore, and most games I can get cross-platform now. The only exclusives I see myself wanting is Mass Effect 2, but I could always get it on the PC.[/QUOTE]
MW2 and Mass Effect 2 are my reasons :bouncy:

[quote name='laaj']How much bandwidth do we need to stream 1080p? Anything less than that doesn't really interest me with blu-ray drive on PS3 that can play all the 1080p content I want.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure netflix does not stream 1080p. I beleive it does 720. And the entire idea is that you're streaming and don't have to wait for a disc to arrive in the mail. And do you really care that much between 720 and 1080?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Why would it be a problem? I can't count how many times PS3 owners got shafted over stuff due to MS exclusivity, patents (such as their custom soundtrack software patent which can replace any in-game music with custom music), etc. There's going to be various exclusives on each platforms. 360 can use twitter on the dashboard now which PS3 users can't do unless they use the browser.

But you gotta understand that I am a big PS3 fan here and have to deal with the shafting enough (although I own a PS3, 360, and Wii).[/QUOTE]

WTF ever. You drink the Sony kool-aid like a crack head sucks dick for one more hit. Speaking of the shaft....

1. The PS3 has a browser
2. The PS3 is WAAAAY more reliable (thus the reason I have 2 360's and 1 PS3)
3. The PS3 won the Hi-Def war
4. The PS3 is the successor to the best selling console of all fucking time
5. The PS3 is MUCH better value (built in WI-Fi, Blu-Ray player, game player, home media player, swappable hard drives, bluetooth compatibility, etc)

The odds are all stacked against the Xbox and yet it is still stomping a mud puddle in the PS3's ass.

[quote name='Dingleberry']And do you really care that much between 720 and 1080?[/QUOTE]

Yes. That's is why I spent hundreds more on 1080p TV and I intend to get my money worth.

[quote name='Malik112099']WTF ever. You drink the Sony kool-aid like a crack head sucks dick for one more hit. Speaking of the shaft....

1. The PS3 has a browser
5. The PS3 is MUCH better value (built in WI-Fi, Blu-Ray player, game player, home media player, swappable hard drives, bluetooth compatibility, etc)

The odds are all stacked against the Xbox and yet it is still stomping a mud puddle in the PS3's ass.[/QUOTE]

AND IT all happened with one simple phrase that made people haters.

599 US Dollars

That was all that needed to be said to give Microsoft that fighting chance.

[quote name='Paco']AND IT all happened with one simple phrase that made people haters.

599 US Dollars

That was all that needed to be said to give Microsoft that fighting chance.[/QUOTE]

God that is the truth. I love my PS3, I really do, but I didn't get one until MUCH later due to the high barrier of entry. I remember the shit storm when the price points were announced. I was ready for the PS3 to get to retail shelves and start gutting the 360 based purely on its pedigree alone but $600 was too much at once for the public to swallow.

[quote name='Malik112099']God that is the truth. I love my PS3, I really do, but I didn't get one until MUCH later due to the high barrier of entry. I remember the shit storm when the price points were announced. I was ready for the PS3 to get to retail shelves and start gutting the 360 based purely on its pedigree alone but $600 was too much at once for the public to swallow.[/QUOTE]

Actually this one is really debatable because the economy turned to shit JUST before the PS3 launch. If the economy was still good, it could have been something completely different. But even then, 600 dollars is a life decision and a huge purchase while the 360 was seen as a game console. That 600 was rent for a month, it was a really GOOD car payment, it was utilities and so much more. It essentially made it seem like it was for the affluent. With people losing jobs left to right it was one hell of a hard sale. There's a lot of what ifs with not only the launch price but the economy tumbling exactly at the point when the PS3 came out with that monsterous tag.

Can someone help me with a question about caching?

I have my PS3 wireless with DSL, so I'm not doing great speed-wise.

Could I start downloading a movie, like in the morning before I go to work, and expect to have the full film downloaded and ready to go when I get home, or will Net-Flix insist on streaming after adjusting the cache to work for me?

If it insists on caching, is it consistent? With no pauses?

I would want to mostly watch HD content, but the ideal for me is to just let it fully download ahead of time. I'd appreciate if someone could help me out. Thanks

-V-

[quote name='Malik112099']WTF ever. You drink the Sony kool-aid like a crack head sucks dick for one more hit. Speaking of the shaft....

1. The PS3 has a browser

The odds are all stacked against the Xbox and yet it is still stomping a mud puddle in the PS3's ass.[/QUOTE]

thank god for the dumb

Now netflix on 8.99 on PS3, however is this service giving you more than the xbox service which is basically 7.99?

[quote name='Malik112099']The odds are all stacked against the Xbox and yet it is still stomping a mud puddle in the PS3's ass.[/QUOTE]
Not exactly, PS3 has outsold 360 if you align their launches, i.e. 360's lead is only due to being out for longer and it's diminishing more and more recently. To say 360 has dominated PS3 or even done much better is foolish. Also, how many 360's are just repurchases, could be as high as a few million.

If you are looking at number worldwide Xbox 360 doesnt have a huge lead. For example Xbox 360 is doing better in UK but PS3 got more support in Germany. In Japan Xbox is a non factor.

[quote name='venturin']Can someone help me with a question about caching?

I have my PS3 wireless with DSL, so I'm not doing great speed-wise.

Could I start downloading a movie, like in the morning before I go to work, and expect to have the full film downloaded and ready to go when I get home, or will Net-Flix insist on streaming after adjusting the cache to work for me?

If it insists on caching, is it consistent? With no pauses?

I would want to mostly watch HD content, but the ideal for me is to just let it fully download ahead of time. I'd appreciate if someone could help me out. Thanks

-V-[/QUOTE]

While I can't speak for Netflix I do know that all the movies I have rented on the PSN were downloaded into the movie menu. I usually hit the pause button have a smoke grab a drink and let it buffer for about 10mins and were good to go for watching. I dont think real time watching would be a problem if you buffered it for a few mins. I have a 3mbps DSL connection over wireless and never really had a problem with HD on the PSN.

The cool thing I noticed recently is when im watching a movie and somebody logs my account in from another room it signs me out but continues to download. Before it would stop the download and really piss me off.

1. The PS3 has a browser

The 360 sold roughly 7-8 million units in it's first year...it is currently roughly 7 million units ahead of the PS3...oh and the 360 happened to launch a year ahead of the PS3. If you check sales based on years out, each console stacks up roughly the same, so I don't really see how that is "stomping a mud puddle in the PS3's ass"...

And perhaps he forgets that the 360 only got it's lead on the competition by rushing the thing to market with not enough adequate testing & knowing full well before they launched that there were serious issues with the design that were leading to widespread failure. 3 year warranties only came after class action lawsuits. So yea their lead to market on the competition was a legitimate one.

I thought that when you bought xbox live service.. you got the netflix service for free.... Of course the service is great, but I don't think that its that big of a deal, and could really contribute to console sales. "you buy your console to play games, not watch movies" according to numerous x-bots. One thing is for certain, how desperate is MS, they try to make everything exclusive. Netflix, facebook, twitter, games, DLC, damn.. what's next?

When it comes to current number of consoles in a house today excuses like "it came out a year earlier" or "how many of those are re-purchases" don't hold up. At the end of the day the winner is the one with the most consoles in homes right this second. That is the number that counts and that is the number that the PS3 is lacking. Spin/twist it however you choose but right this moment the PS3 is losing.

Will the disk require just one spin up per Netflix usage or will it continually use the drive while using Netflix? I would imagine it just does a disk check (kinda like the 360 does with installed games) and then leaves the disk alone.

you know this netflix service may end up putting PSN video store out of business. The PSN downloads are too slow, so if I can buy one month of netflix here and there, and have "streaming" that works then how can I ever justify going back to the PSN video store. For me, I rather order it on a month to month basis as needed, rather than just trying to set up reoccurring payments because I know there will be times where I won't be able to enjoy the movie.

[quote name='Thomas96']you know this netflix service may end up putting PSN video store out of business. The PSN downloads are too slow, so if I can buy one month of netflix here and there, and have "streaming" that works then how can I ever justify going back to the PSN video store. For me, I rather order it on a month to month basis as needed, rather than just trying to set up reoccurring payments because I know there will be times where I won't be able to enjoy the movie.[/QUOTE]

Yeeeeah.... dont count on that. PSN store gets new releases available for instant streaming, netflix does not. Its why its a compliment to the psn store vs competition to it. Its awesome for TV shows and older movies, but when it comes to newer flicks, Mall Cop can only take netflix so far.

Disc ordered. This is great since my PS3 is my home theater blu ray player. Now I can watch the Netflix stuff on my home theater rather than on the gaming tv. No surround sound on my gaming tv.

[quote name='Malik112099']When it comes to current number of consoles in a house today excuses like "it came out a year earlier" or "how many of those are re-purchases" don't hold up. At the end of the day the winner is the one with the most consoles in homes right this second. That is the number that counts and that is the number that the PS3 is lacking. Spin/twist it however you choose but right this moment the PS3 is losing.[/QUOTE]

Um, no, that's not how it works. There are no excuses here, just straight up facts. MS rushed the 360 to the market a full year ahead of the PS3. That right there basically makes up the difference in units sold for this generation and as someone pointed out, how many of those 360's are re-purchases? I'll let that part slide for now because the truth is that PS3 and 360 are roughly the same units sold-wise if you line up their years on the market.

[quote name='smiggity']Disc=Fail...They should have just waited for the XMB thing to be ready...Using discs to watch movies is so 1995...[/QUOTE]

Don't really see the "fail" in it. We're getting access to the service earlier than we would if they just waited for XMB integration. If someone doesn't wanna use the disc, just wait then. It's not like having it out there early impacts anything at all.

Anyway, this is great news for me. I hate using my 360 for anything but gaming, the fragile piece of crap that it is.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Yeeeeah.... dont count on that. PSN store gets new releases available for instant streaming, netflix does not. Its why its a compliment to the psn store vs competition to it. Its awesome for TV shows and older movies, but when it comes to newer flicks, Mall Cop can only take netflix so far.[/QUOTE]

okay, thanks, I thought that you'd have access to the newer stuff as well.

[quote name='smiggity']Disc=Fail...They should have just waited for the XMB thing to be ready...Using discs to watch movies is so 1995...[/QUOTE]

Its not that serious... right now the program is on the disc, and later, you can save it to the HDD and run it from there... (and it'll have an XMB icon), stop being so picky...

Yea I guess, but it is better then them just waiting till 2010. Atleast you got an opportunity to use it AND it is free. Which is crazy, Microsoft would probably charge 602.25 points for it or something.

[quote name='SynGamer']Um, no, that's not how it works. There are no excuses here, just straight up facts. MS rushed the 360 to the market a full year ahead of the PS3. That right there basically makes up the difference in units sold for this generation and as someone pointed out, how many of those 360's are re-purchases? I'll let that part slide for now because the truth is that PS3 and 360 are roughly the same units sold-wise if you line up their years on the market.[/QUOTE]

Did you not read what I said?

How many consoles have been sold this generation at this very moment no matter the reason? Nuff said.

If there was no disc based system right now, Microsoft would've just kept paying for exclusivity, meaning PS3 never would get it. Since there is a disc based system, it means Microsoft won't re-up on the exclusivity because they got the raw end of the deal.

[quote name='Malik112099']When it comes to current number of consoles in a house today excuses like "it came out a year earlier" or "how many of those are re-purchases" don't hold up. At the end of the day the winner is the one with the most consoles in homes right this second. That is the number that counts and that is the number that the PS3 is lacking. Spin/twist it however you choose but right this moment the PS3 is losing.[/QUOTE]
There's a big difference between losing and what you said earlier. And how are they losing when they've done better for their time on the market? It's not simply lifetime sales #'s comparison. Keep ignoring everything that goes into the numbers. It's not just a year, it was 15.5 months in EU. And what good is a lead when they intentionally screwed you over to get it?

[quote name='gindias']While I can't speak for Netflix I do know that all the movies I have rented on the PSN were downloaded into the movie menu. I usually hit the pause button have a smoke grab a drink and let it buffer for about 10mins and were good to go for watching. I dont think real time watching would be a problem if you buffered it for a few mins. I have a 3mbps DSL connection over wireless and never really had a problem with HD on the PSN.

The cool thing I noticed recently is when im watching a movie and somebody logs my account in from another room it signs me out but continues to download. Before it would stop the download and really piss me off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for helping me! Yes if I can pause and let the movie load a while that would work for me.

[quote name='Pratt75']Putting a disc in is no big deal to me. I'm more than happy to, I'm just glad the service is coming to the trey.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. Running a disc to use netflix wont matter too much since I wont be doing anything else on my PS3 at the time.

I'm not a current netflix subscriber, but with Hulu charging next year, I'll probably sign up sometime around then.

bread's done
Back