Netflix has arrived! 7.99/mo, first hit is free

doctor_payne13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Netflix.ca

No streaming yet on 360, put there's a client already available on PS3 (a feature that U.S. PS3s don't have yet), and you can order a disc for the Wii.

First month is free, but they require a credit card or Paypal account, so don't forget to cancel if you're not impressed.

It's neat! But the selection of movies and shows seems kind of... hilariously bad. Some diamonds in the rough though!

[quote name='Zoodux']I signed up for the netflix trial on Wednesday and I am impressed with the service. The content is a little lacking but I'm hoping more gets added over time.

I live in New Brunswick and have Bell Aliants 35MB down fibreop package and It streamed no problem. From what I've been told by co-workers (I work for Bell Aliant) and the technical support group there is no monthly bandwith cap on their service so I streamed about a dozen or so movies over the last couple days. No problems except for one thing. I tried to stream The Guild Season 2 and I got a "Unable to initialize quicktime" error. I looked around online but I couldn't find anything at all related to my error. Could someone else who is subscribed to Netflix try and stream it and post if it works? I'm curious to find out if its just me.[/QUOTE]

I get that error when I watch it on my PS3, but it's fine on my iPad. I haven't tried on a computer yet.

I just got the fall preview for the 360 and it looks like Netflix streaming for the 360 will be here with the fall update. It looks like there is party streaming option as well, but I don't know any one else who has the fall preview to check it out.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Anyone else having audio sync issues when playing content through the PS3? I've googled the problem, but no real solution has been posted apart from pausing the movie and then restarting, to no avail for me. This keeps happening on episodes two and on of The Day of the Triffids (BTW, not a bad series!). I've tried other content but it plays fine. If anyone else could try that series and let me know, thanks.
BTW I've tried it on more than one hardwired PS3, and the problem persists on all of them. Yet no problem when watching wirelessly on the iPod Touch. I almost wonder if there is a Netflix cache I could delete to get rid of the problem, but I can't find anything obvious :?:[/QUOTE]

I had this problem with the first thing I viewed via Netflix on my PS3 (an episode of Fawlty Towers) but no problems occurred during my viewing of Save The Tiger, The Doors or two Pink Panther shorts. Maybe it was an isolated incident. The PS3 is my only choice for Netflix; my PC is a dying machine that can't run any streaming video.

I'll keep you posted.

I hope they will have a lot more content from the 30's-90's going forward. I'm not into today's cinema. Still, there's plenty I want to see at this time.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I only have a 60gb cap at Rogers. I am thinking of moving up to 95gb or switching companies since I'm not under contract. I'm looking at going to Telus or maybe another company (other than Bell).[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about this. I'm on the same plan, and have gone over it a bit the last few months. Video games don't seem to add much of anything, but I'm assuming streaming these movies will? Regardless, I think I'll sign up later tonight.

[quote name='Kekumba']I was wondering about this. I'm on the same plan, and have gone over it a bit the last few months. Video games don't seem to add much of anything, but I'm assuming streaming these movies will? Regardless, I think I'll sign up later tonight.[/QUOTE]

I don't think streaming adds anything at all since you aren't downloading a movie but watching it like a YouTube or DailyMotion video. I thought that Netflix would DL the movies to your hard drive, which would count towards the 60 GB limit. I haven't seen any warning from Rogers and I've been watching streaming video from YouTube, DailyMotion, NetFlix and other sites quite often this month.

I've seen the warning. I went Xbox 360 demo crazy when I bought it and used up 75% of my allotted limit to download stuff.

Just as an aside, you guys need to watch Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. It rocked my world at about the 15 minute mark. Greatest. Scene. Ever.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I don't think streaming adds anything at all since you aren't downloading a movie but watching it like a YouTube or DailyMotion video. I thought that Netflix would DL the movies to your hard drive, which would count towards the 60 GB limit. I haven't seen any warning from Rogers and I've been watching streaming video from YouTube, DailyMotion, NetFlix and other sites quite often this month.

I've seen the warning. I went Xbox 360 demo crazy when I bought it and used up 75% of my allotted limit to download stuff.[/QUOTE]

Netflix streaming does use up your bandwith. IIRC netflix SD streams currently use approx 850MB to 1GB per hour of standard def video. I think I also read that an HD stream can use around 1.5GB to 2 GB an hour. These numbers probably vary between different videos but at least its something to work with.

[quote name='Zoodux']Netflix streaming does use up your bandwith. IIRC netflix SD streams currently use approx 850MB to 1GB per hour of standard def video. I think I also read that an HD stream can use around 1.5GB to 2 GB an hour. These numbers probably vary between different videos but at least its something to work with.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I have a standard set-up so I'm at the lower end.

[quote name='PuppetDoctor']I was told that my Wii disc got sent out last Friday and still have not received it in the mail.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that sounds similar to my situation. Sometimes stuff like this will arrive almost overnight, sometimes it takes a while. If other people are still waiting for their discs then I'm not concerned.

Hopefully it arrives soon though. We'll be away for a week at Thanksgiving, so the trial period will seem awfully short if the disc doesn't get here early next week.
:)

I got mine a few days ago after ordering it on the first or second day the service went up. The video quality is quite good (on an SDTV) even though I'm using a fairly crappy DSL connection.

More testing...
I decided to run Netflix from two different PS3s in the same home. Worked great. Two different PSN ids running the same Netflix account.
Good to know for people who have two TVs.

As for Mega Shark...I think 15 minutes was all I could take, but it gets worse. I've found a few gems that look like they were made on handy cams with zero budgets (serial killing turkey and dead platoon crap). There's the bottom of the barrel and then there stuff living underneath....shouldn't even be allowed on Netflix. Hopefully the CRTC drops dead and Netflix can improve the content in Canada.

So far I've found some goodies... Guy Ritchie movies, Mad Max, Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine, Rocko's Modern Life (used to watch that show as a kid all the time)

[quote name='Hockridge']So far I've found some goodies... Guy Ritchie movies, Mad Max, Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine, Rocko's Modern Life (used to watch that show as a kid all the time)[/QUOTE]
I see your list and raise you Bionic Woman, Ren and Stimpy, What Dreams May Come, Family Man and Doctor Horrible. Like I said, a lot of crap but a few gems here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Mega-Shark vs. Giant Octopus, just a fantastic film. I love how the director used real-life situations to convey the problems in today's society, especially the arms race, global warming, and conflict in the Arctic Circle.

In all seriousness, there were so many beauty one-liners I can't begin to repeat them all.

'We're getting married in two days....OH SHIT!'

hahaha...it has begun.

There's plenty to watch as is. If I want something from 2010, I'll just dl it from the PlayStation store.

I agree, though. The CRTC needs to die.

[quote name='lustyhitter']There's plenty to watch as is. If I want something from 2010, I'll just dl it from the PlayStation store.

I agree, though. The CRTC needs to die.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both points.

I've been enjoying Mad Men, and have watched a handful of enjoyable movies as well. My only complaint is that browsing for movies isn't exactly convenient and there appears to be no queue system where I can mark movies that I want to watch later.

Well I went ahead and cancelled my rogers cable. I was paying about 80$ a month, which is 1000$ a year, which is absolutely ridiculous. This is what makes cable crap:
- if you want to catch the very beginning of a show, then you have to schedule yourself AROUND the cable
- the commercials! a) so many of them, I swear more more and percentage of the show time is going to commercials; b) they are f ing loud; c) I swear all shows coordinate their commercial times so you are screwed even when you want to flip to another show during commercials
- the cost

Anyways, Netflix might not have all the latest and greatest, but the 4 seasons of mythbusters alone should keep me busy for quite a while. Also the SD quality is still pretty good for most shows.

A Netflix queue would be nice too... I guess for now you can just start watching the movie then back out of it so you can find it in your recently watched area.

I was trying to watch Maximum Risk but the audio was out of sync the whole time. At first I thought it was bad dubbing over the original lines for some reason but it kept on happening, this service has too many problems. The one thing that I watched with no problems was actually pretty good and I didn't mind the quality as long as it was in X High HD mode. So, I would definitely keep the subscription if only the selection was better and I didn't keep running into technical issues.

[quote name='dave17']This is what makes cable crap:
- if you want to catch the very beginning of a show, then you have to schedule yourself AROUND the cable
- the commercials! a) so many of them, I swear more more and percentage of the show time is going to commercials; b) they are f ing loud; c) I swear all shows coordinate their commercial times so you are screwed even when you want to flip to another show during commercials
- the cost[/QUOTE]
I love having HD cable. I have a PVR and I don't have to schedule myself around anything or deal with commercials at all. If I want to watch something live I just give it about a 20 minute head start and then I can skip all commercials. So convenient, I love it and couldn't live without it. Will never be PVR-less again, too bad they're so damn expensive though. I think I got mine for $400-450.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I was trying to watch Maximum Risk but the audio was out of sync the whole time. At first I thought it was bad dubbing over the original lines for some reason but it kept on happening, this service has too many problems. The one thing that I watched with no problems was actually pretty good and I didn't mind the quality as long as it was in X High HD mode. So, I would definitely keep the subscription if only the selection was better and I didn't keep running into technical issues.[/QUOTE]

If you were watching that last night, might want to double check. Netflix had server issue's last night and i had a bunch of problems accessing/watching stuff. Maybe the server issues were related to your audio sync issue?

I'm running it on my Xbox 360 (as part of the dash update preview thing) and I really like it so far.

The problems are mostly related to the navigation. I can't figure out any way to browse the full category in any of the sections. That means I can only see a selection of highlights in various categories or use the search function to drill down. It seems the only way to really find out what is available to watch is to browse on my laptop, and then do searches on the 360 for the interesting shows and movies I find. That is pretty clunky.

Also, leaving out a tag or bookmark system is a critical error. Netflix users NEED a way to mark things for future viewing. This would also serve to make the laptop browsing prior to Xbox watching less of a process. Instant queue is a necessity.

[quote name='joelhunt']I'm running it on my Xbox 360 (as part of the dash update preview thing) and I really like it so far.

The problems are mostly related to the navigation. I can't figure out any way to browse the full category in any of the sections. That means I can only see a selection of highlights in various categories or use the search function to drill down. It seems the only way to really find out what is available to watch is to browse on my laptop, and then do searches on the 360 for the interesting shows and movies I find. That is pretty clunky.

Also, leaving out a tag or bookmark system is a critical error. Netflix users NEED a way to mark things for future viewing. This would also serve to make the laptop browsing prior to Xbox watching less of a process. Instant queue is a necessity.[/QUOTE]

I am having the exact same issues with PS3, and I agree that having a bookmark system for tagging movies I am interested in watching would be a suitable workaround. I believe the US Netflix has this, so hopefully this will be implemented here soon.

[quote name='dave17']- if you want to catch the very beginning of a show, then you have to schedule yourself AROUND the cable

- c) I swear all shows coordinate their commercial times so you are screwed even when you want to flip to another show during commercials[/QUOTE]

You are hurting for a PVR if this is still an issue. At least get a DVD or HD-based recorder if you don't want to spend the money on a Rogers box.

c) is in fact true, networks do schedule commercials at the same time. They don't want to lose ad revenue by having you click away, so this isn't your imagination.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I was trying to watch Maximum Risk but the audio was out of sync the whole time. At first I thought it was bad dubbing over the original lines for some reason but it kept on happening,[/QUOTE]

Same problem here with The Day of the Triffids, but it worked fine on my iPod Touch. I think it's a PS3 sync issue, and so far I haven't found a workaround, other than to watch it elsewhere (Touch), or watch something that doesn't have issues.

I just got an e-mail saying they're extending my trial by 2 weeks because I ordered a Wii disc and they're currently out of Wii discs.

[quote name='bs000']I just got an e-mail saying they're extending my trial by 2 weeks because I ordered a Wii disc and they're currently out of Wii discs.[/QUOTE]
They did the same thing for mine. They DID send me my disc on Thursday but have yet to receive it.

[quote name='dave17']
[/QUOTE]I'm SURE radio stations do this. They allliket oadvertise 100 minutes of music.. but then theyhave 30 of commercials and all the stations at the same time. UGh. That's one reason why I don't listen to radio anymore. if I want to hear the same songs over and over again I'd at least like to pick them out. And I do.. I burn 1 CD a month.

Commercials are an absolute killer on CBC Late Night Movies. They have great movies, uncut, yet those commercial breaks seem to come every 8-10 minutes, killing any flow. Same thing when I saw AMC. Commercials every 10 minutes. I have no idea how anybody could watch these movies with these constant interruptions.

I haven't listened to the radio for music in years. Seems like the only show I try and listen to is Dee Snider's House Of Hair on Bob FM.

Wow, the first season of Ren & Stimpy from 1991 is live! It was great to see Stimpy's Invention again.

Netflix on Wii is win. I'm LOVING this. After the free trial, I'll totally pony up the $8 a month for the service (I don't have cable).

Blech... One week of the free trial left and still no Wii disc? It was apparently mailed on Sept 24th, but still hasn't arrived. Are others in the same boat?

Without being able to watch Netflix content on my TV I'm not interested in subscribing. Will have to call customer service and ask for an extension if the disc doesn't arrive tomorrow.

I've been enjoying my trial so far (using my PS3), though I am a little bummed out that the browsable video options seem to be so limited. I was pretty stoked the other night when I noticed they had some Red Dwarf and Black Adder up, but felt a little let down when I only saw volume 1 of BA and 2 volumes of RD while browsing. When I checked netflix online later to see how it fared on my PC, I was pretty excited so see that they had around 8 volumes of RD, and all of BA. When I browsed on my PS3 again, they still didn't show up, but I was able to access them using the search function. I guess my overall point is that I'm hoping they shore up the browsing options in the PS3 interface since I did find a few gems I never would have thought about searching for that way. It's a relatively minor gripe in the overall scheme of how much I'm enjoying the service (or hopefully just a result of me not being familiar with how to properly browse everything while using my PS3), just something I felt like mentioning for whatever the reason.

[quote name='Bamm'] I was pretty stoked the other night when I noticed they had some Red Dwarf and Black Adder up.[/QUOTE]

Dude, Red Dwarf is probably my favorite show in history only second to the Simpsons...

BTW, I was pretty sure I saw the first 4 seasons of RD on there. HOWEVER, I tested one of the videos and while it IS watchable, the quality looks like CRAP compaired to my DVDs.

[quote name='ejamer']Blech... One week of the free trial left and still no Wii disc? It was apparently mailed on Sept 24th, but still hasn't arrived. Are others in the same boat?

Without being able to watch Netflix content on my TV I'm not interested in subscribing. Will have to call customer service and ask for an extension if the disc doesn't arrive tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the exact day the Netflix Wii disc was sent out but it was on a Thursday and still nothing. Only nine days of Netflix and I still haven't really used it. I got it on my Xbox 360 (got the Beta Dashboard) and PS3 but I am very disappointed by the video quality. I guess I will stick with Zip.ca since it doesn't use bandwidth and I can a better selection.

I heard though other people got an extra week for the trial since they never got their Wii disc but they didn't give me an extra week. I guess they figure I can watch Netflix on my PS3, and 360.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Dude, Red Dwarf is probably my favorite show in history only second to the Simpsons...

BTW, I was pretty sure I saw the first 4 seasons of RD on there. HOWEVER, I tested one of the videos and while it IS watchable, the quality looks like CRAP compaired to my DVDs.[/QUOTE]

http://search.netflix.ca/Search?oq=&v1=red+dwarf&search_submit=

They definitely have 8 seasons up, thankfully. I do kind of agree on the video quality as well. It seemed to be the same sort of quality I remember back when I used to watch the show on cable back in the day. Definitely very watchable and with reasonable audio quality, it just isn't as crisp as what a lot of us have gotten used to in terms of audio/visual quality.

[quote name='ejamer']Blech... One week of the free trial left and still no Wii disc? It was apparently mailed on Sept 24th, but still hasn't arrived. Are others in the same boat?

Without being able to watch Netflix content on my TV I'm not interested in subscribing. Will have to call customer service and ask for an extension if the disc doesn't arrive tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
I got mine awhile ago. I ordered in on the 26th of Septmeber, then they had a delay shipping it, then it shipped on the 30th then I finally got it on the 5th or 6th. Definitely give them a call and see what's up.

[quote name='ejamer']Blech... One week of the free trial left and still no Wii disc? It was apparently mailed on Sept 24th, but still hasn't arrived. Are others in the same boat?[/QUOTE]
I signed up the morning NetFlix was available. I requested the Wii disc at the same time. I got an email September 24 telling me the disc had shipped. Still no disc.

If you call, please update us. I'm curious where my Wii disc went, too. I never got an email telling me my free trial was extended a week so I expect they'll be charging me for the service before I even get the disc (or 360 support).

Edit: I visited http://www.netflix.ca/InstantStreamingDisc?device=Wii and have now requested a new disc. The estimated delivery date I see on that page (for my account) was September 27.

[quote name='kdnewton']I signed up the morning NetFlix was available. I requested the Wii disc at the same time. I got an email September 24 telling me the disc had shipped. Still no disc.

If you call, please update us. I'm curious where my Wii disc went, too. I never got an email telling me my free trial was extended a week so I expect they'll be charging me for the service before I even get the disc (or 360 support).

Edit: I visited http://www.netflix.ca/InstantStreamingDisc?device=Wii and have now requested a new disc. The estimated delivery date I see on that page (for my account) was September 27.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the link. I just reported the problem so hopefully I get the new disc before the Free Trial ends.

Update:
Called customer service and was very pleased with the result. They double checked the mailing address and sent out another Wii disc, then offered to extend the trial period (without me asking) to make up for the lost time. Couldn't ask for much more.

(edit: The going assumption is that the initial disc was lost in transit. For some reason, my apartment number was left off the mailing address initially - I'm positive that I included it when requesting the disc though!)

If others haven't received their disc, then I recommend you contact them as well. The customer service rep said that delivery normally takes less than a week... not sure what the issue was here, but hopefully I'll be streaming to my Wii before long.

[quote name='kdnewton']I can confirm that Canada is included in the Netflix disc-free channel on the Wii.

Check your Wii shop channel. 0 points. 1 Netflix channel for download :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/18/AR2010101801575.html[/QUOTE]

Just saw this from a different website, and am very excited to hear that Canada is included with the channel. I guess this makes the lost disc issues inconsequential - but more important it's going to make using NetFlix even easier.

Thanks for posting the confirmation.

[quote name='kdnewton']I can confirm that Canada is included in the Netflix disc-free channel on the Wii.

Check your Wii shop channel. 0 points. 1 Netflix channel for download :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/18/AR2010101801575.html[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for this. I just downloaded the channel and it works great, very nice to manuever with the Wiimote. Registering is a bit convoluted compared to the PS3 because you have to be online with both a computer and the Wii at the same time for it to register the device. It only takes a minute though.
If you guys are complaining about Netflix's video quality over PS3, try watching it on composite over the Wii :lol:

One of the few things that frustrated me about Netflix was that there wasn't any place on the website or in the interface to just see a plain list of what movies have been added recently -- the only lists showed a random selection of movies added over the past month or two, which in the case of Netflix is, well, EVERY movie.

I was looking for a bit of a weekend project (and an excuse to play with Google App Engine), so yesterday I made http://whatsnewonnetflix.com. It should update automatically when new movies come out. Everything is under the same date right now because Netflix doesn't actually tell you when a movie came out, but everything that comes out after today should have the correct date. Right now I have it set to display the 100 newest releases. Hopefully people who have decided to stick with Netflix find it as useful as I do.

Let me know if anyone has any comments / questions :)

[quote name='Ashground']One of the few things that frustrated me about Netflix was that there wasn't any place on the website or in the interface to just see a plain list of what movies have been added recently -- the only lists showed a random selection of movies added over the past month or two, which in the case of Netflix is, well, EVERY movie.

I was looking for a bit of a weekend project (and an excuse to play with Google App Engine), so yesterday I made http://whatsnewonnetflix.com. It should update automatically when new movies come out. Everything is under the same date right now because Netflix doesn't actually tell you when a movie came out, but everything that comes out after today should have the correct date. Right now I have it set to display the 100 newest releases. Hopefully people who have decided to stick with Netflix find it as useful as I do.

Let me know if anyone has any comments / questions :)[/QUOTE]
fucking awesome! Thanks man!

bread's done
Back