Netflix or Blockbuster? 2009 update? Blockbuster will be including games now again

msuna

CAGiversary!
Netflix or blockbuster 2009 update?
Can anyone tell me which service to use? They seem to have similar prices except Netflix charges 1 dollar more for blu ray and no in store plan option. Does anyone know if blockbuster charges extra for blu ray rental???? I personally like having the extra in store option but not sure its worth the extra money. Can someone help from experience. Thanks!

Plus anyone know where to get a good promo code for either for longer than a one month trial or reduced cost for say 3 months or 6 months. i know blockbuster used to have better plans with video games etc too probably....

BLOCKBUSTER NOW INCLUDING GAMES IN THEIR MOVIE PROGRAM ONLINE SIMILAR TO GAMEFLY.

Blockbuster announced today that it will begin offering game rentals as part of its Total Access online movie rental service. The company will start a pilot program during its second quarter, with a goal of implementing the integrated system nationally by the second half of the year. Essentially, Blockbuster is trying to morph Total Access into a Netflix meets GameFly offering.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='leshrac55']Maybe this is because I live in Chicago, which is one of BB's distribution centers, or maybe it's because I only have the 1 at a time plan (which, sometimes when I'm busy it can even be quite awhile before I exchange), but BB's turnaround time for me has always been fantastic. In some cases, I've returned a movie to a store and then received the next movie in my queue the following day... Typically, it will come probably 2 days after you exchange in store, meaning that it's usually just a 1 day turnaround. I haven't sent movies back through the mail in awhile, so not sure if they're quite as fast when I send it back to them, but with their new policy changes, I'll probably get to try this out pretty soon.[/quote]
My TOT with BB was always really great as well, right up until they changed a policy AGAIN without telling anyone (month-to-month exchanges became billing-cycle to billing cycle), and I just got fed up and quit (needed to save money anyway). But my distro center is in Sacramento, CA I believe, and I usually would return movies say Monday, and get new movies Wed. I had no problem with this. My friend in Sac said she got movies the next day (similar to your report) because she was so close to the distro center. But in the last few weeks I had BB, I would return movies on Mon and get new ones Fri. There was no holiday or weather to slow the mail down. It was simply taking longer. I'd say Netflix and Blockbuster are on par for speed. I'm pretty excited to try Netflix again - check out the streaming and see if I get throttled :p

Yeah, turn around times should be about the same if you're not being throttled as long as you have a distrubution center semi-nearby.

With throttling from forum posts it seems it happens on both services. Just don't be one of those people who obsesses over watching movies as quickly as possible in order to maximize their subscriptions and you'll be fine. If you're almost always getting 2, 3, 4 dvds a time, watching them all and mailing them back the next day they're going to throttle you after a while.

I don't like they way they do it, they should really just scrap the unlimited label and put a max per month on each plan. Just put it a few discs above the average rented for each plan across the board and most people will never be affected and they can still thwart the super heavy users who should be on higher plans based on how many movies they get through in a month.

Netflix Stock was over 40.00 the last time I checked. Blockbuster's stock was somewhere under 1.00. Maybe .083, if this is any indication on what the general public and investors see as the better deal. It is clearly Netflix

If Blockbuster does this games thing I definitely might check them out. I doubt it will be as good as Gamefly though. Gamefly really needs some competition.

I didn't realize Blockbuster had rolled out Redbox-like boxes already, called "Blockbuster Express". I saw one at Publix today (and it turns out there are over a dozen in my area). $1/day rentals. Looks cool, but I'll stick to Netflix.

[quote name='Legolas813']I didn't realize Blockbuster had rolled out Redbox-like boxes already, called "Blockbuster Express". I saw one at Publix today (and it turns out there are over a dozen in my area). $1/day rentals. Looks cool, but I'll stick to Netflix.[/QUOTE]

your going to see a lot of blockbuster boxes in the next year.... worker at a local blockbuster was told you could expect to see 5000 boxes by the summer of 2010 almost 20,000 boxes by the end of 2010

they will start to close B&M stores down and just stick these boxes up..

be very interesting to see if its true.... Then again im only paying 1.07 for redbox rentals... I get to pick what i want and dont get trottled up the ass by either netflix or bb

Redbox and Netflix are much better companies. I would just like to remind people that Blockbuster wanted to merge with Circuit City late last year. That doesn't indicate strength or good management to me but desperation. Netflix sends movies out SOOOO much quicker! It has a much better selection. It has online streaming. I'm sorry but Blockbuster is second best. I've tried both, and Netflix is just flat out better.

Publix was giving out free rentals at the register to the Blockbuster kiosk by the entrance and I couldn't even find a movie I'd want for free in it. It was a crap selection, and the only intelligent person ever at Blockbuster was the guy who founded it, saw the writing on the wall, and sold it for hundreds of millions of dollars 10-15 years ago.

I've been a Blockbuster account user for about 4 weeks now, and I can say that the turnaround time SUCKS. Like, "sucks donkey balls" sucks.

My distribution center is only about an hour drive from my house, and still, I put a dvd in the mail to return it on Monday, then I get the shipping email today (3 days later) saying my next movie will be here next monday (8 days later) WTF

This also happened last week too, except they actually got me the movie in 5 days. I don't understand how this isn't a 3-day operation. 4 at the outside.

Ugh.

[quote name='dmaul1114']See my prior post. Most SD material looks just a tad worse than a DVD (I've only had one that had a bad encoding and was unwatchable), while HD stuff looks just a tad worse than HD Cable--not much difference between watching Heroes Season 3 episodes on their vs. watching them live to my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Yea- it looks good. The picture can get crappy if your bandwidth is poor, but other than that my only complaint is that the colors seem to to run dark. Not an issue most of the time.

[quote name='nakedninja']i heard if you cancel netflix, they will try to get you back with a cheaper rate. true or false[/QUOTE]

false (at least the 3 times i quit they never offered me a thing)

I do enjoy the streaming through netflix with xbox and I have enjoyed some tv shows like Dexter and Harper's Island that I probably wouldn't have seen if it hadn't been streaming. The only thing I do miss since I only get 1 movie through the mail right now through netflix is that when the new movies come out on blu ray, I do have to wait for some time but it's not a dealbreak.

I do hope Blockbuster turns it around simply that redbox and netflix need the competition of each other.

Since I've had my Blockbuster online account for a few years now, I still get unlimited exchanges. They've let me know on multiple occasions, as long as I stick with the current plan, I'll get to keep unlimited exchanges and at a cheaper price than other customers, also.

I prefer dropping them at the store and getting extra movies to watch. So, BB does me way better than Netflix.

I was with Blockbuster for four years but with the changes and never having what I want online or locally it's over. Switched to Netflix a little over a week ago and I have already received 3 movies through the mail(I'm on the one at a time plan). I love the instant streaming to me that's the deal breaker right there! The movies must be scanned at the post office cause I mailed it and then showed "received" a few hours after the fact.

bread's done
Back