Netflix ps3

pun123

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
If you have Netflix and PS3 you got to order a disc. Got mine today and I have to say that I'm impressed with the quality and stream through wifi. For only 8.99 a month you get unlimited movies, absolutely great deal love it on my 52" rather than my computer. Some people are complaining about that you have to have the dvd in but one nice thing is that it is easy parental supervision control for someone with kids, just take it out. I called and they said next year they will have it in the XMB and hopefully a rating system too.

I found it under the "What's New" icon. Thanks for pointing this out, by the way. I can finally use my PS3 for Netflix and take some of the burden off my older model 360. It was such a pain having to use the disc...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I found it under the "What's New" icon. Thanks for pointing this out, by the way. I can finally use my PS3 for Netflix and take some of the burden off my older model 360. It was such a pain having to use the disc...[/QUOTE]

Aw there we go.....For some reason I expected it to show up in the search feature, but I found it! Thank you.

It's update available in the store. Even putting the disc in won't help. It just gives you instructions on where to find the download.

Heads up. You need your Netflix log-in information. It's not like other devices...or the PS3 with the disc...where you generate a code on your account to input on the device. So, if you're like me and have your passwords saved on your web browser, take a quick look.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's update available in the store. Even putting the disc in won't help. It just gives you instructions on where to find the download.

Heads up. You need your Netflix log-in information. It's not like other devices...or the PS3 with the disc...where you generate a code on your account to input on the device. So, if you're like me and have your passwords saved on your web browser, take a quick look.[/QUOTE]

Do you have to log in everytime, or once it's set up- it is good to go everytime?

I didn't have to login, it automatically connected to my account. I assumed this was based on the data left from the streaming disc. Not sure why it asked BDB to sign in.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I didn't have to login, it automatically connected to my account. I assumed this was based on the data left from the streaming disc. Not sure why it asked BDB to sign in.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I didn't have to login either, it just started right up.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I didn't have to login, it automatically connected to my account. I assumed this was based on the data left from the streaming disc. Not sure why it asked BDB to sign in.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GTmaster39']Yea, I didn't have to login either, it just started right up.[/QUOTE]

I haven't used the streaming disc in ages. I think I set it up, used it a couple of times, and then got fed up with having to switch discs, defaulting back to using my 360. I'm going to have to assume it was because of that.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I haven't used the streaming disc in ages. I think I set it up, used it a couple of times, and then got fed up with having to switch discs, defaulting back to using my 360. I'm going to have to assume it was because of that.[/QUOTE]

Even when I had the disc I only had to login once. Swapping the discs was a huge pain in the ass. I know it sounds bad but instead of getting off my ass to play a game and exchange out the disc I'd just watch movies instead. Now I don't have to worry about it, which is nice.

The interface is awesome too, I like it a lot more this time around.

[quote name='skiizim']Off Topic: It's available for the Wii too![/QUOTE]

cnet.com said it is available without dosk, but i have yet to try it myself

i was debating on switching from blockbuster online to netflix just because netflix started offering hd livestream. but i wanted to ask you guys if its really worth it. is it good? hows the HD?

[quote name='sm0k1nace']i was debating on switching from blockbuster online to netflix just because netflix started offering hd livestream. but i wanted to ask you guys if its really worth it. is it good? hows the HD?[/QUOTE]

The HD looks great (althought a bit of compression is noticable). For me though, the 5.1 is amazing. Stereo was always the most meh part of Netflix streaming, and now it is fixed (for select titles). As time goes on, the library will get more expansive and truly be amazing.

[quote name='n64ra']5.1 is great! will 360 have that too sometime?[/QUOTE]

Should be part of the fall update.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']The HD looks great (althought a bit of compression is noticable). For me though, the 5.1 is amazing. Stereo was always the most meh part of Netflix streaming, and now it is fixed (for select titles). As time goes on, the library will get more expansive and truly be amazing.[/QUOTE]

so its not bluray quality? would you recommend netflix with this now over blockbuster? i have te unlimited by mail movies and 5 store exchanges and the store is half a mile from my home. idk if i should switch

[quote name='flameofdoom666']The HD looks great (althought a bit of compression is noticable). For me though, the 5.1 is amazing. Stereo was always the most meh part of Netflix streaming, and now it is fixed (for select titles). As time goes on, the library will get more expansive and truly be amazing.[/QUOTE]

Can you verify whether the content you saw was 1080P or not? They offer a lot of content in 720P as well, so I'm just wondering.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can you verify whether the content you saw was 1080P or not? They offer a lot of content in 720P as well, so I'm just wondering.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean 1080i.

I playing Heat right now and when I hit the select button on my "tv" remote it shows 1080/60P on my TV. Usually it says 720P. Even in 1080i I see a lot of artifacts in some of the dark scenes where the black levels are really dark. It's not perfect but it looks descent.

When I hit select on my controller it says Video: High/SD so I'm confused...... Just a minute ago it said X-High/HD.

EDIT: I changed my connection and now it says X-High/HD. And I do see the artifacts....I still think 720P looks better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mr_burnzz']Netflix is so fast now on the PS3! I believe my HD stuff comes in 720P and the SD in 480. Never seen it go to 1080P though.[/QUOTE]

It's not 1080P. It doesn't support it, it only goes up to 1080i.

Actually, in an interview they corrected it.

There are some movies in 1080i and 1080p. However that's the SOURCE and they're all converted to 1080p when streaming.

[quote name='M3wThr33']Actually, in an interview they corrected it.

There are some movies in 1080i and 1080p. However that's the SOURCE and they're all converted to 1080p when streaming.[/QUOTE]

Looking it up again I do see that they corrected it. Usually I don't sit on the computer for hours on end searching for every single article and read them over and over again so......I kind of just went by what the press release said. My bad.

[quote name='spydey']Should be part of the fall update.[/QUOTE]

Is there a link that indicates the 360 Netflix app is getting 5.1? I'm in the dashboard beta and I am not getting 5.1 on the titles where 5.1 is supported on the PS3. I also haven't seen that as a feature, only the new search capability.

In fact, I saw a PS3 listing stating that for the time being the PS3 is the only device offering 5.1 Netflix streaming.

Hey guys, do you still need a DISC from Netflix to run this or can you download the XMB update to make this work discless?

[quote name='cagfansub']Hey guys, do you still need a DISC from Netflix to run this or can you download the XMB update to make this work discless?[/QUOTE]

You don't need the disc anymore, just load up the Netflix icon in the Video section on the XMB. it'll load then ask for your etflix login details.

What the hell is wrong with the Netflix menu lately? The text is huge and it seem like half the menu options are located somewhere off the screen. has it gotten all weird for anyone else?

[quote name='BustaUppa']What the hell is wrong with the Netflix menu lately? The text is huge and it seem like half the menu options are located somewhere off the screen. has it gotten all weird for anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I noticed this too, and I'm guessing it has to do with Netflix wanting you to control the features of your account on a computer and not through Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii.

What's amazing is I own all three systems, and Wii now has the second best setup behind Xbox 360's (PS3 is a distant 3rd, though obviously it provides HD streaming where as Wii cannot).

on HD TV menu looks alright .on SD ( OLD ) TV sets they seems bigger and off screen but why l revive this thread ? Its beens months since disc was abandoned .

It looks the same as it used to for me, and I had one of the better UI's that they were playing with. If you guys could take a pic, I'd like to see what it looks like now for you.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It looks the same as it used to for me, and I had one of the better UI's that they were playing with. If you guys could take a pic, I'd like to see what it looks like now for you.[/QUOTE]Here's a pic, you'll see how the fonts are huge and it barely fits two rows of movies on the screen now. It just seems like really inefficiently-used space on a HDTV, which is why I'm assuming something is wrong here.

NetflixScreen.jpg

[quote name='BustaUppa']Here's a pic, you'll see how the fonts are huge and it barely fits two rows of movies on the screen now. It just seems like really inefficiently-used space on a HDTV, which is why I'm assuming something is wrong here.

NetflixScreen.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This is the one I have now and its fucking bullshit

[quote name='ssjmichael']hm, not sure if it's the same but I think this is how mind looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9ciyrPRe0[/QUOTE]

This is the one I had and I want it back

mine still the same.......am i missing something here?

edit: read the blog post. hopefully they don't touch mine, i like it just the way it is.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Here's a pic, you'll see how the fonts are huge and it barely fits two rows of movies on the screen now. It just seems like really inefficiently-used space on a HDTV, which is why I'm assuming something is wrong here.

NetflixScreen.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I've used mine almost daily since they went away with the disc and mine has always looked like that. I have no problems with it. I have a 360 also and I much prefer my PS3 netflix layout to the 360 one.

[quote name='janesvilleninja']is there any way to force it to change UI I tried to reinstall it but that didn't work if anyone has any info please let us know.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried contacting customer support? If they are testing all of the UIs out they probably want to hear feedback.

Tried it for the past week since my family became a new member. I like the interface as well as the simple search option. Some of the HD films streamed pretty well and fast, although for the sake a clean stream, the movies were never consistently in their highest quality.

If there's an issue I have with it, it's the controls. I kind wish the PS3 Netflix used similar control methods like how I watch disc-based movies on the same system; specifically how I rewind or fast-forward films, since moving either left or right of the left analog stick just selects the frames. Kinda clumsy of a function.

A manual would've been nice, but the buttons are easy to figure out.

I watched Netflix on my PS3 for the first time recently and found the interface to be horrible, the only way I could comfortably browse movies was to get my laptop out, find what I wanted on there, and then just search for the specific title on the PS3.

Of course, the computer is always the better option to find movies (especially those that are streaming). But the PS3 interface sure is miles better than the extreme limited interface of the one from the WDLive service.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Which PS3s have wireless internet? I didn't even know they had added that...[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure wifi has been standard since the PS3 was released.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Which PS3s have wireless internet? I didn't even know they had added that...[/QUOTE]

All of them except the original 20 gig models.

bread's done
Back