Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

[quote name='javeryh']Has DS9 been dated yet? I'm dying to watch it with the wife (the only ST series she hasn't seen yet).[/QUOTE]

Oh, Man, DS9 is coming? That's pretty rad. I'm dying to see the Rock step into the galactic ring against Seven of Nine!

[quote name='GhostShark']Oh, Man, DS9 is coming? That's pretty rad. I'm dying to see the Rock step into the galactic ring against Seven of Nine![/QUOTE]

Damn - I just did a little googling on it and it sounds like they are getting "select episodes" instead of full seasons. That's crap.

[quote name='javeryh']Damn - I just did a little googling on it and it sounds like they are getting "select episodes" instead of full seasons. That's crap.[/QUOTE]

I did the same and didn't find much. Mind linking a few?

The Star Trek is part of the big CBS block that included Twin Peaks. I've thought that all of ST was bound to pop up on Netflix streaming sooner or later, it was just a matter of getting their ducks in order. I doubt they'll want to dump it all at once.

I know TOS was streaming for a while, because I remember watching more than a few. I think that was Netflix.

[quote name='dothog']I did the same and didn't find much. Mind linking a few?

The Star Trek is part of the big CBS block that included Twin Peaks. I've thought that all of ST was bound to pop up on Netflix streaming sooner or later, it was just a matter of getting their ducks in order. I doubt they'll want to dump it all at once.

I know TOS was streaming for a while, because I remember watching more than a few. I think that was Netflix.[/QUOTE]

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/02/netflix-soon-to-stream-star-trek/

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=384

[quote name='javeryh']http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/02/netflix-soon-to-stream-star-trek/

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=384[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I missed some obvious ones there. That's actually pretty disappointing, I don't want to leave it to CBS/Netflix to decide which Trek, and which episodes within each, is worth checking out. As much as I enjoy TNG and DS9, I'm definitely very picky about which episodes I like and which I don't. Really wish the full seasons were up.

Still, though, I'm glowing over the Larry Sanders thing. Can't believe they're ALL up. It wasn't a year or so ago that people weren't even sure if the complete Larry Sanders would make it to DVD.

[quote name='dothog']Thanks! I missed some obvious ones there. That's actually pretty disappointing, I don't want to leave it to CBS/Netflix to decide which Trek, and which episodes within each, is worth checking out. As much as I enjoy TNG and DS9, I'm definitely very picky about which episodes I like and which I don't. Really wish the full seasons were up.

Still, though, I'm glowing over the Larry Sanders thing. Can't believe they're ALL up. It wasn't a year or so ago that people weren't even sure if the complete Larry Sanders would make it to DVD.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I don't care so much about TNG or TOS because those shows weren't as heavily serialized (same with VOY to a lesser extent). Enterprise and especially DS9 should be shown in their entirety though. It's disappointing if they can't get this right.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I don't care so much about TNG or TOS because those shows weren't as heavily serialized (same with VOY to a lesser extent). Enterprise and especially DS9 should be shown in their entirety though. It's disappointing if they can't get this right.[/QUOTE]
Well, I'd think the call is entirely CBS's, right? I mean, what's in it for Netflix to hold back episodes, I would think they'd want to stream as much as they can get their mitts on. It's CBS that's probably playing games. I dunno, I'm just guessing at it.

Not sure if any of the other apps also do this now, but it seems that at least one series (3rd Rock from the Sun) on the PS3 app has been consolidated into one title rather than separate titles for each season. I really hope this becomes the standard for all shows on Netflix, as it would make keeping track of shows a lot easier.

Netflix still needs to offer some queue sorting options in the apps.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not sure if any of the other apps also do this now, but it seems that at least one series (3rd Rock from the Sun) on the PS3 app has been consolidated into one title rather than separate titles for each season. I really hope this becomes the standard for all shows on Netflix, as it would make keeping track of shows a lot easier.

Netflix still needs to offer some queue sorting options in the apps.[/QUOTE]

They also did it for Dexter and Avatar: The Last Airbender from what I've seen.

Also, I noticed all 5 seasons of Jackie Chan Adventures is up.

[quote name='dothog']Thanks! I missed some obvious ones there. That's actually pretty disappointing, I don't want to leave it to CBS/Netflix to decide which Trek, and which episodes within each, is worth checking out. As much as I enjoy TNG and DS9, I'm definitely very picky about which episodes I like and which I don't. Really wish the full seasons were up.

Still, though, I'm glowing over the Larry Sanders thing. Can't believe they're ALL up. It wasn't a year or so ago that people weren't even sure if the complete Larry Sanders would make it to DVD.[/QUOTE]

watch out for Larry Sanders. The episodes after the first season are completely out of order and there are some episodes that repeat. Netflix really fucked it up. :(. My suggestion go by the IMDB episode list for the correct orders. God I love that show.

[quote name='AshesofWake']watch out for Larry Sanders. The episodes after the first season are completely out of order and there are some episodes that repeat. Netflix really fucked it up. :(. My suggestion go by the IMDB episode list for the correct orders. God I love that show.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I noticed this. The way it goes is that Netflix orders them using the production code, and the eps were not broadcast (or typically ordered) in the same sequence as the production. It's a little annoying, but given the fact that the show hit the ground running, it's not a big problem in that the confused ordering might "lose" the viewer.

And to join in with other comments, I also noticed that some shows have the previously separate DVD seasons consolidated into one big selection. (This happened for Blackadder.)

I'm not sure if this has been asked but can anyone recommend Anime that is available for streaming. Been wanting to get into anime again... thanks

My wife and I have been going through the series "Cake Boss". We saw a few episodes on cable and we're happy to see it was on netflix instant streaming. We're in the middle of season 2 and I highly recommend checking it out even if it doesn't seem like it would interest you. I never imagined I'd like a show about baking cakes haha. Buddy and his crew are insanely talented though.

Watch the original Death Race 2000.

B-Movie awesomeness.

Love how they blame the French - esp because conservative Congress and Fox News actually did blame the French in the 2000s.

I noticed a few shows, like Angel, that had one page too.

Been watching Kyle XY since that became available. Was tempted to join Hulu Plus to check that out so glad it showed up.

[quote name='Nintendokid54']I'm not sure if this has been asked but can anyone recommend Anime that is available for streaming. Been wanting to get into anime again... thanks[/QUOTE]
Here is what I have been watching. Some I have watched for years, some I have just got into.

Afro Samurai (Samurai Legends meets hip hop. Its awesome, and has Samuel L Jackson)
Blood+ (50 episode series, boring at first. Gets better later on)
Trigun (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Ghost in the Shell (Original NOT 2.0)
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (Season 1 and 2, don't rent the ones with the solid red or blue cover art they are basically condensed versions)
Eden of the East (A movie is available, but not for streaming)
Claymore (Action, blood, and gore all in one)
Fullmetal Alchemist (I am not much of a fan but its on there)
Ghost Hound (little more boring, but interesting)
Gunslinger Girl (Stick with the first season, the rest sucks)
Initial D (My favorite, import cars + Eurobeat = win)
Moribito (good series, many separate parts on Netflix)
Spice and Wolf (Good series, 2nd season is available on YouTube and Hulu at the moment)
Clannad (highly recommend second season, but it is not on Netflix)
Ponyo (great movie, but I recommend you rent it on disc. The English Dub by Disney SUCKS)

Other animes people watched that I have not yet:
Gurren Lagann
Mushi-Shi (my sister says she enjoys it)
Soul Eater
Gun X Sword
Devil May Cry (based on the game series)

I noticed The Square is up now. Great very tense Australian flick.
Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, Arn is awesome. So is Merantau if you like kung fu flix.

I watched the first two episodes of Larry Sanders finally, on my iPhone, and yes, that's a win. Seems like a great show. I'll keep watching... then no doubt weep when it's over.

Also, the original Death Race 2000 is a must see. Great, great B movie and unlike a lot of B comedies, it's actually very funny.

I need to update this thread. Showtime is pulling all content off of streaming by "mid-year" and won't be adding any more new things.. so watch what you can while you can.

What's going on with Netflix tonight? I can't connect on my PS3 or 360 and when I go to the website I get the following error:

We’re sorry, the Netflix website and our DVD shipping operations are temporarily down.

You can still instantly watch movies via your Netflix ready device.

Our engineers are working hard to bring the site and shipping operations back up as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience and, again, we apologize for the inconvenience. If you need further assistance, please call us at 1-877-445-6064.

I like how it says Netflix ready devices are still usable considering I've tried both my PS3 and 360 with no success...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What's going on with Netflix tonight? I can't connect on my PS3 or 360 and when I go to the website I get the following error:

I like how it says Netflix ready devices are still usable considering I've tried both my PS3 and 360 with no success...[/QUOTE]

Mine has been working on my 360 all day.

ok good, wasn't just me. I was trying to get my ps3 to work for 15 minutes before i gave up. It was working around 6, watched an episode then - but tried to watch another around 8 and it just bombed.

[quote name='Scorch']I need to update this thread. Showtime is pulling all content off of streaming by "mid-year" and won't be adding any more new things.. so watch what you can while you can.[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling this was coming. Why would anyone pay for Showtime (or any premium channel) when they can get everything on Netflix for free (sort of)? Also now that Netflix is going forward with original programming I'm sure all of the networks are thinking of them as more of a competitor than a way to get viewers hooked on their shows. The movie model should still work but the glory days of fairly recent or still airing full TV seasons are probably over. Sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Egad. I hope Netflix getting that new show isn't going to result in the loss of lots of content. I hope they didn't make a big mistake.

[quote name='Pookymeister']24 cents credit from Netflix, how nice.[/QUOTE]

pretty sweet lol!

and Dexter, eh, i watched three seasons and it just got too stupid, but that's just me. anything else on there?

[quote name='AshesofWake']pretty sweet lol!

and Dexter, eh, i watched three seasons and it just got too stupid, but that's just me. anything else on there?[/QUOTE]

Season 3 of Dexter was very bad IMO. I mean it started off great, but then it just took a nosedive towards turds. Season 4, however, was pretty damn good. Only season 1 was better IMO.

[quote name='AshesofWake']pretty sweet lol!

and Dexter, eh, i watched three seasons and it just got too stupid, but that's just me. anything else on there?[/QUOTE]

Do NOT let Season 3 deter you. I almost made the same mistake. I had to power through Season 3, but with Season 4 and Season 5, I couldn't wait for the next episode.

I'll be updating the main post this weekend, but I wanted to let you guys know that on April 1st, most of Fox's content is expiring and as of right now, will be pulled from instant streaming (including all seasons of 24, King of the Hill, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Roswell, X-Files, Bones, Angel, Arrested Development, My Name is Earl and Prison Break). I'm sure they'll re-new their contract or something, but as of right now, it's scheduled to be pulled off the service April 1st.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is Showtime pulling all shows, or just ones that are currently airing? I mean, do we still get the older, deader shows?[/QUOTE]

Just the ones currently airing on Showtime will no longer be available.

[quote name='keithp']Just the ones currently airing on Showtime will no longer be available.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Well, I think I can live with that. Glad it's not everything.

[quote name='thrustbucket']For me, Dexter has been spiraling down hill
ever since Dokes is gone
.[/QUOTE]

I thought that the season with the Trinity Killer was pretty good, but season 5 dragged until like the last 4 or 5 episodes.

[quote name='Scorch']Do NOT let Season 3 deter you. I almost made the same mistake. I had to power through Season 3, but with Season 4 and Season 5, I couldn't wait for the next episode.[/QUOTE]

Really. I really loved season 3. Jimmy Smits was outstanding.

I'd agree Season 4 was better though. Season 5 was still good, but probably my least favorite season personally.

For anyone interested, The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Vol 1-3, is set to start streaming on 4/1/2011.

I added the discs to queue a few weeks ago, but just saw the streaming note today.

Sons of Anarchy seasons 1 and 2 start streaming on Netflix on 4/1/2011 as well.

I very highly recommend this show to anyone who enjoyed The Sopranos, The Shield, or if you enjoy good television in general. This show will NOT be a waste of your time, I guarantee it.

bread's done
Back