Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It only gets better.[/QUOTE]

You are right. The next two episodes were also hilarious. Why doesn't this show get more buzz? I guess the target audience is super specific (since you pretty much have to play fantasy football to fully grasp it) but my wife is really enjoying it too. It's actually pretty realistic in that I'm the same age as the guys on the show, me and my friends have good jobs, kids, etc. but we act like idiots when we get together.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It drives me insane that I can't pick an episode of a show before starting the show. They've really fucked this interface in the face. The navigation is atrocious.[/QUOTE]

And you cant restart or use the bumpers to skip anymore. Horrible.

[quote name='yankeessuck']And you cant restart or use the bumpers to skip anymore. Horrible.[/QUOTE]

As much as I despise the instant play feature, I'd live with it if they'd just agree to give us back the restart and bumper-skip features. I had brought up one of the newly added WWE docs last night, but wanted to skip to about the halfway mark (roughly an hour)... after about 30 seconds of fast forwarding, I decided I just didn't care enough and watched something else. Ugh.

Another thing that I hate? The new menu that pops up as soon as the credits roll on anything. As someone who actually tends to sit through credits, I dislike the fact that Netflix is basically telling you that they don't matter. Sure, you can make it fullscreen again, but the point is that I shouldn't *have* to. The movie isn't over yet, so don't rip me out of it before I make the decision to. Movies, though, aren't the problem... so many TV shows end with a final 'Ah-ha!' moment at the credit break, and you lose part of it because Netflix decides to shrink it. I've been going through The Larry Sanders Show again and there have been numerous that the people I'm watching it with (who haven't seen it before) don't actually catch some kind of joke or sight gag because it occurs during the switchover or the switchover cuts in right in the middle of it. Really, really not a fan of that.

I agree completely about the stuff that pops up during credits - I hate that. I shouldn't have to manually switch it back to full screen.

If you use the media remote, though, I thinks we still have skip forward/back. I need to double check that, though. I like using the media remote more than the controller anyway as I hate how the controller will always be asleep when I need it.

I've been trying to figure out if it was netflix of microsoft that is to blame for this new netflix. I THINK it's netflix that actually made it but I am not entirely certain.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I've been trying to figure out if it was netflix of microsoft that is to blame for this new netflix. I THINK it's netflix that actually made it but I am not entirely certain.[/QUOTE]

I have no experience with the Xbox menus, but the PS3 Netflix doesn't do any of the things that people are complaining about as far as I can tell. No auto-start on TV shows or popup during the credits for sure. Many (most/all?) shows and movies in HD do take about 5 seconds for the HD to kick in, though.

the netflix blog states that it was all internal netflix. The ire of the layout is most likely why you don't see it employed on the PS3 or to some extent the Wii.

Season 6 of bones has been added for any that care. Though I think there's an out of order episode because something just doesn't seem right in the big plot.

Possibly. I think microsoft does program it but at the direction of netflix.

Being in development, this netflix app looks like a number of proof-of-concepts and demonstrations for what a new API can do, and the customer (netflix) just said "awesome! lets incorporate all of those ideas!"

Yeah, at one point they did some massive A/B (C) testing on the PS3, giving different customers different layouts (I think there were 3 different ones) to figure out which to use for everyone. Thankfully that happened before I got Netflix.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I've been trying to figure out if it was netflix of microsoft that is to blame for this new netflix. I THINK it's netflix that actually made it but I am not entirely certain.[/QUOTE]

I would bet it's Netflix since they pretty much did the same thing to the online interface a few months back, though they did later change some of it due to customer feedback (or, as I like to call it, "outrage"). The fact that they created another interface that doesn't allow you to choose an episode before watching is a little boggling after they fixed that for their website, but then Netflix has really seemed to embrace boggling decisions in recent months...

[quote name='Javery']You are right. The next two episodes were also hilarious. Why doesn't this show get more buzz? I guess the target audience is super specific (since you pretty much have to play fantasy football to fully grasp it) but my wife is really enjoying it too. It's actually pretty realistic in that I'm the same age as the guys on the show, me and my friends have good jobs, kids, etc. but we act like idiots when we get together.[/QUOTE]

The League is hilarious. I'm all caught, I've watched both seasons. Totally worth the time.

What I can't figure out is why it wasn't part of the dashboard beta that many of us tested? Other such apps were. We could have told them it was a mistake and they could have made it better. Instead they released it to everyone, beta testers included, only once the dashboard update was released.

[quote name='crunchewy']I agree completely about the stuff that pops up during credits - I hate that. I shouldn't have to manually switch it back to full screen.

[/QUOTE]

You know what else gets me about this? They make suggestions for other items right then and there. I'm cool with that. I'm not cool in that I can't ADD THOSE TO MY fuckING QUEUE, with my only option to watch those recommendations right now. Who wants to sit there after watching an hour and a half movie to watch something else right away?

[quote name='Javery']You are right. The next two episodes were also hilarious. Why doesn't this show get more buzz? I guess the target audience is super specific (since you pretty much have to play fantasy football to fully grasp it) but my wife is really enjoying it too. It's actually pretty realistic in that I'm the same age as the guys on the show, me and my friends have good jobs, kids, etc. but we act like idiots when we get together.[/QUOTE]
I've really enjoyed what I've seen of it, and I don't know shit about football.

I wish they would have added an option to PLAY entire season, so if you were in a mood for a BSG marathon then you could continue without having to press a button.

I think Netflix actually said on the blog somewhere that it was changed by MS, they basically put the blame for the horrid interface all on MS' shoulders.

That xbox app is so bad I now use my ps3 exclusively for netflix....Maybe if enough people called both MS and Netflix to complain they'd eventually fix it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wish they would have added an option to PLAY entire season, so if you were in a mood for a BSG marathon then you could continue without having to press a button.[/QUOTE]

Or, at the very least, make it time out and autoplay the next episode. I understand why they don't, though - a LOT of people fall asleep watching Netflix (judging by my friends list when I occasionally sign on XBox Live in the morning), and if they did that, it'd eat up a LOT of bandwidth for something that wasn't even being watched. It'd put Netflix in a worse position than they're already in.

[quote name='praxus07']I think Netflix actually said on the blog somewhere that it was changed by MS, they basically put the blame for the horrid interface all on MS' shoulders.

That xbox app is so bad I now use my ps3 exclusively for netflix....Maybe if enough people called both MS and Netflix to complain they'd eventually fix it.[/QUOTE]

Mentioning horrid interface and Microsoft in the same sentence? Surely you jest :D:D:D

I always have and will always use my PS3 for Netflix anyway. I don't get bothered from friends wanting to play games and the system is quiet.

[quote name='praxus07']I think Netflix actually said on the blog somewhere that it was changed by MS, they basically put the blame for the horrid interface all on MS' shoulders.

That xbox app is so bad I now use my ps3 exclusively for netflix....Maybe if enough people called both MS and Netflix to complain they'd eventually fix it.[/QUOTE]
Even though I have a ps3, I can't bring myself to turn it on for any reason but bluray. I should just sell it I suppose.

[quote name='DestroVega']I always have and will always use my PS3 for Netflix anyway. I don't get bothered from friends wanting to play games and the system is quiet.[/QUOTE]
I guess you didn't know that you can easily turn off all notifications during all video watching.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Even though I have a ps3, I can't bring myself to turn it on for any reason but bluray. I should just sell it I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Don't sell it yet. Once you play Dark Souls, you'll want to play Demon's Souls.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Even though I have a ps3, I can't bring myself to turn it on for any reason but bluray. I should just sell it I suppose.

I guess you didn't know that you can easily turn off all notifications during all video watching.[/QUOTE]
What?! Please tell me how?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wish they would have added an option to PLAY entire season, so if you were in a mood for a BSG marathon then you could continue without having to press a button.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Having to press a button a couple of times after an episode really kills the authenticity of a show about man battling robots in outer space.

Yep.

You can also set your Xbox Live Status to Busy and nothing will pop up. That's handy when playing single player games as achievement notifications still pop up, but nothing else does. So you're not getting distracted by friends signing on and off.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep.

You can also set your Xbox Live Status to Busy and nothing will pop up. That's handy when playing single player games as achievement notifications still pop up, but nothing else does. So you're not getting distracted by friends signing on and off.[/QUOTE]

Really, damn thats exactly the setting I've been looking for, I want to see achievements but not people logging in.

If that's true then you Sir are a prince amongst men.

So if I set my status to busy, will I still get party invites? Those annoy me the most. When I'm playing multiplayer, yeah, that's fine. However, I don't want to be in a party with 7 other people blabbing about who knows what when I'm trying to dive into a good single player story or even watch something on Netflix.

Thanks for the tips!

[quote name='thrustbucket']Even though I have a ps3, I can't bring myself to turn it on for any reason but bluray. I should just sell it I suppose.

I guess you didn't know that you can easily turn off all notifications during all video watching.[/QUOTE]

I'm that way now with my xbox. Before the new dash and stupid apps came out I rarely used my ps3, now it's all I ever use. My xbox hasn't been turned on in a couple of weeks, and it's even longer since I played anything on it. With me it's now all about the PS3, and I only own two blurays...LOL. The shitty dash and netflix app/apps in general on there, just killed my desire to want to even power the thing up anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope season 2 of BBC's Sherlock is on Netflix after the last episode of the season is tomorrow. Didn't even know that it was coming back!

[quote name='thamaster24']I hope season 2 of BBC's Sherlock is on Netflix after the last episode of the season is tomorrow. Didn't even know that it was coming back![/QUOTE]

I thought Sherlock was on series 3 already?

Nvm, series 2 is airing. Just thought it was on series 3 cause Amazon.co.uk had been telling me to buy series 2.

[quote name='DCpinoy']The League is hilarious. I'm all caught, I've watched both seasons. Totally worth the time.[/QUOTE]

My roommate made me watch it. I enjoyed the first season of the League a lot more than the second (although I haven't finished it yet). It's mostly well-written and the gags are good, but I hate sports, I don't drink, and the characters are a little too bro for me. I realize I'm probably in the minority, though.

On a related note, has anyone seen the work from the guy who plays Andre on Human Giant? It was an MTV thing but they had a lot of content online, and some of it is really hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqddMHvKEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIaYM7s0FZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFUZezn_JK4

[quote name='Pookymeister']Sweet Blue Mountain State Season 3 is up[/QUOTE]

I liked the first season
Got through the second season
Watched about 4 episodes of season 3.

Yuck. Couldn't put my finger on what started to annoying me, but I just couldn't do it anymore. Wasn't entertaining.

[quote name='thamaster24']I hope season 2 of BBC's Sherlock is on Netflix after the last episode of the season is tomorrow. Didn't even know that it was coming back![/QUOTE]

It comes to the US (PBS I think?) in May. So I'm not expecting it on Netflix before then. You never know, though.

[quote name='Maklershed']Boss (the Kelsey Grammer show) is getting added to streaming this week. From what I hear its a very good series.[/QUOTE]

I actually looked for it just last night, thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='Maklershed']Boss (the Kelsey Grammer show) is getting added to streaming this week. From what I hear its a very good series.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow that's canny timing, he just won the Golden globe last night so suddenly a lot of people are asking "Boss? Huh? Wha?"

Enjoy it while it lasts.. it's a Starz series, so it'll probably be gone at the end of February.

Sliders (4 seasons), Workaholics (Season 1 - Comedy Central series), To Live & Ride in LA, Road to Nowhere, Butterfly Effect 3 and The Hard Times of RJ Berger have all been added to instant streaming.

[quote name='schuerm26']I liked the first season
Got through the second season
Watched about 4 episodes of season 3.

Yuck. Couldn't put my finger on what started to annoying me, but I just couldn't do it anymore. Wasn't entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Just finished. Wasn't as strong as the previous seasons but i still enjoyed it.

Now onto Hard Times of RJ Berger S2 - first season was pretty awesome i thought.

bread's done
Back