New (er) Top Loading NES's??

Well my main question was what is the difference between these and the regular top loader I'm use to seeing? (Besides the looks of course)

[quote name='Staind204']Well my main question was what is the difference between these and the regular top loader I'm use to seeing? (Besides the looks of course)[/QUOTE]

If my brain still works... The top loader has a much easier time reading games as it gets older because it doesn't have that moving tray that fucks up and wont hold the game in the right possition.

Oh... a new new one... I'd say... its... newer?

Probably wont corrode as fast like the old ones did.

The "new" one is one of those cheap knock-offs you see all over the place like the Power Joy and such. They do play NES games, but they are junk. Video quality is poor and there are numerous technical problems from what I've read.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']the controller is pretty different too[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but this newer version of the neofami will also let you use the original controllers, making it atleast a little better than the original neofami ~ I wish I would have waited!

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']Wow, im guessing these things are really going to hurt the original Top Loader's value...[/QUOTE]
They have actually. Now you can pick up an official Top Loader for $65 or so. I actually like the look of these 'new' ones and will be picking one up.

[quote name='b3b0p']Question, is there an adapter to play NES games on Famicon?[/QUOTE]

The NES catridges are wider than the famicom's. I know their is a converter for NES -> Famicom, but it was for the Axe (?)... It was a portable famicom. As for the front loader, I doubt it, because I dont think the hole is big enough. For the top loader, it would probably work if the converter fit suficiently.

there are some that are floating on ebay and i did see a couple "official" toploaders one for about 50 and the other for about 80 ending today... and then a bunch of those new third party systems.. anyone purchased one of the newer ones and is it comparable to the official hardware.

[quote name='Kayden']The NES catridges are wider than the famicom's. I know their is a converter for NES -> Famicom, but it was for the Axe (?)... It was a portable famicom. As for the front loader, I doubt it, because I dont think the hole is big enough. For the top loader, it would probably work if the converter fit suficiently.[/QUOTE]

I know famicon adapter for NES to play famicon on NES, but I want a Famicon to NES convert to play NES on famicon. For both the regular Famicon and Super Famicon.

Edited: Mistyped, sorry.

[quote name='b3b0p']I know about NES to Famicon, but I want a Famicon to NES convert. For both the regular Famicon and Super Famicon.[/QUOTE]

Then why did you ask:
[quote name='b3b0p']Question, is there an adapter to play NES games on Famicon?[/QUOTE]

Well, I have a Game axe, and its a....nifty device. I did however puchase the newer NES Top loaders. It should arrive sometime next week. When it does, I will post a review up.

[quote name='b3b0p']I know about NES to Famicon, but I want a Famicon to NES convert. For both the regular Famicon and Super Famicon.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there is for nes, and for snes you just melt the pin things out of the console. If you look at the back of a US cartridge there are 2 slots and then in the console there are two things that go into the slots. If you melt those with a knife, then you're set cause its only a physical lockout.

To play Famicom on an NES is very easy, just get a copy of Gyromite and open it up. Most have a converter right inside. Now, to play NES games in a Famicom is alot harder...

[quote name='Kayden']Then why did you ask:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Mistype.

What I meant was an adapter for famicon to play NES games (or super famicon to play super NES games).

Chris

[quote name='gizmogc']Well, I have a Game axe, and its a....nifty device. I did however puchase the newer NES Top loaders. It should arrive sometime next week. When it does, I will post a review up.[/QUOTE]
I will be awaiting to decide my purchase.

I have personal played one of these.

The thing is extremely light weight. The controllers are light weight also.

It worked perfectly. The gun worked and multiple games worked with it.

I mean its 20 year old hardway. Think of computers a 20 year old PC isnt worht much now days. So how hard can it be to make the same unit as a nes lighter, smaller, and cost less?

I dont know that I would own one for the sake of it not being official and the nostolgia of the thing.

But if you are looking for a newer unit that plays the games this is a good route. The whole system is a bit bigger than an actual nes cart. Its kind of like the PSTWO of the NES.

[quote name='See_You_Pee']I have one that loads from the front.
What is that?[/QUOTE]

That would be a front-loader, we're not too technical in the terms of describing NES models :D

[quote name='See_You_Pee']I have one that loads from the front.
What is that?[/QUOTE]

The "Toaster" seems to be it's popular nickname.

[quote name='Parathod']The "Toaster" seems to be it's popular nickname.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was for the top-loader?

..... Between the second and third, which one more resembles the first?

Toaster
Toaster.gif

Top-loader
toploader.jpg

Front-loader
nes.jpg

I've never seen a toaster that you put the toast in the front... nor one that had a door on it... I know thats what its called... but it just doesn't make sense.

Well, now dosn't every cartridge system look like a 'top loader/toaster'? From what Ive alwasy heard, Toaster is the original NES.

More people are like me as well...
" I'm looking for the original toaster-style NES system." Link

"The first is the original-model NES, that gray box that some say resembles a toaster" GameSpy

"NES "toaster" system with AC adapter, RF box, and 1 controller-$30" For sale list, who would sell a Top Loader for $30?l

I think the reason they call it the 'toaster' is because it springs back up to release the cartridge, much like a Toaster pops when the toast is ready.

The old Nintendo's are called toasters because you put the game in and then push it down. Then, when you're done, you have it pop back up. You know, like a toaster.

Back to the topic, I bought one of the new Neofami's on ebay (for less than it costs at estarland) last saturday and hope it arrives tomorrow. I've heard that they work quite well and have better video than the US top loaders. I've also heard that they have a small sound problem and cannot play Castlevania 3.

[quote name='DaemonSaber']The old Nintendo's are called toasters because you put the game in and then push it down. Then, when you're done, you have it pop back up. You know, like a toaster.

Back to the topic, I bought one of the new Neofami's on ebay (for less than it costs at estarland) last saturday and hope it arrives tomorrow. I've heard that they work quite well and have better video than the US top loaders. I've also heard that they have a small sound problem and cannot play Castlevania 3.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. No NES actually looks like a toaster. Anyway, when you get it, post some impressions. I'm pretty interested because both my NES's don't play so well anymore.

Great, I look forward to it. I've been playing some of my NES games and I don't remember the flickering being that bad... This new one says it fixes that problem... but then I think I could fix it too if I just got a new 72 pin connector. I know you can get them on ebay, but can you still get them from Nintendo?

Well, I just messed around with it for a bit and took some pictures of the box, system, games, everything. Interesting, it DOES play Famicom (Japanese NES for those who don't know) games with a converter. I have a 72-60 pin coverter, meaning, I insert a NES-like cartridge into the system, and then place the Famicom game ontop of it, BACKWARDS. Meaning, I see the BACK of the label, not front. Works like a charm. I'll be editing the pictures, and maybe posting a review tonight/tomorrow.

i have one of the neo fami's. They are a good system, no blinking screen, and they played every single one of my nes games (i have about 150 nes games). the biggest complaint aboutt he 3rd party nes consoles is that they dont play some of the games, but the neo fami plays all the games.

Most of the games look a lot better than on a toploader, since the toploader does not have any A/V out, just an rf switch.

The sound for some of the games sounds a bit off, and the graphics for some of the games that pushed the limits of the nes graphics- the color palatte seems off(i notice this on mario 3 and megaman 2) But for the most part, the games look great(metroid and strider looks awesome, so does pirates).

Definitely a good deal if your nes is busted.

My biggest complaint is that the neofami controller ports do not fit the advantage or NES max. i like the max for metriod and the advantage for zelda 2, but they dont fit.

i should note I own the older style neo fami(made by yobo). I got it for $30+ shipping at www.toysnjoys.com

estarland or baysoft.com may have better deals now.

[quote name='dracula']

The sound for some of the games sounds a bit off, and the graphics for some of the games that pushed the limits of the nes graphics- the color palatte seems off(i notice this on mario 3 and megaman 2) [/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that...Mario 3 was the first game I popped in, and I thought the same thing.

What I REALLY want to know about Neo Fami systems.....

If anyone around here is familiar with the Japanese spectrum of the NES system. Any help would be appreciated.

I have quite a few of those Japanese Famicom games that contain some really sophisticated sound chips that American NES's and most Famiclones don't recognize. One example, Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse-J (Konami VRC6).

I've been googling up on this issue. Will the Neo Fami play the music in these games properly?

[quote name='Bikkebakke']What I REALLY want to know about Neo Fami systems.....

If anyone around here is familiar with the Japanese spectrum of the NES system. Any help would be appreciated.

I have quite a few of those Japanese Famicom games that contain some really sophisticated sound chips that American NES's and most Famiclones don't recognize. One example, Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse-J (Konami VRC6).

I've been googling up on this issue. Will the Neo Fami play the music in these games properly?[/QUOTE]

Interesting question. I already have an NES (just needs a new connector so that I won't have to fudge with the games to make them work), but I noticed these Famiclones clogging up eBay. From what I've read, they play just about every game well, but in some games the sound is a bit odd. If that's true, I could definitely see these clones having trouble with those sound chips.

so is anyone using the new US version of this? it states that no converter is needed and you can use original controllers.

This thread got me wondering..Why is bootleg software taboo on this site yet bootleg hardware okay? I'm not judging or anything I'd just like some thoughts.

[quote name='Kayden']..... Between the second and third, which one more resembles the first?

Toaster
Toaster.gif

Top-loader
toploader.jpg

Front-loader
nes.jpg

I've never seen a toaster that you put the toast in the front... nor one that had a door on it... I know thats what its called... but it just doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

rewards_156.jpg

bread's done
Back