New Foo Fighters album = broken

evilmregg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
Just picked up the new Foo Fighters album today without noticing the sticker on the front that says, "This CD is protected against unauthorized duplication... etc., etc." I should have looked closer. To make a long story short, I'm not big on buying CDs that I can't listen the way I choose, which is ripping them to my iPod and playing them from there. Since the store I bought it from has a policy of not accepting returns on opened CDs, though, I'm pretty much screwed.

I just thought I'd post this for anyone else who was thinking about buying the album. I recommend showing your disapproval for the RIAA's bullying tactics by not purchasing it. I'm not saying download it illegally or anything. I'm just saying don't buy it.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I'm sure there's some way to get around it ...

Anyway I'll just listen to it on their myspace page for now. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh, there's always a way around it. I just hate that I supported an album that has copy protection on it.

[quote name='cthcky33']is that why it was all wierd sounding in windows media player?? or was that just my comp at work sucking[/QUOTE]

No, that's exactly why. You have to install a special program that downloads an encryption key off the internet to decrypt the pre-loaded files on the CD to play them on your computer. Then you have to use that specific program to actually play the files, so they won't work in Windows Media Player.

It's most likely your computer sucking. Unless you ripped it then played it in Widows Media Player, then the reason it sounds weird is probably the cd's protection.

[quote name='evilmregg']Just picked up the new Foo Fighters album today without noticing the sticker on the front that says, "This CD is protected against unauthorized duplication... etc., etc." I should have looked closer. To make a long story short, I'm not big on buying CDs that I can't listen the way I choose, which is ripping them to my iPod and playing them from there. Since the store I bought it from has a policy of not accepting returns on opened CDs, though, I'm pretty much screwed.

I just thought I'd post this for anyone else who was thinking about buying the album. I recommend showing your disapproval for the RIAA's bullying tactics by not purchasing it. I'm not saying download it illegally or anything. I'm just saying don't buy it.[/QUOTE]

FYI Technicaly any AUDIO disc that contains any sort of "protection" is technicaly NOT a CD. Years back there was a Celine Dion Disc that would shut off or crash any computer it was inserted in. Here's an old article from slashdot, search slashdot for many more articles
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/03/226233&tid=141

[quote name='EnderBui']It's most likely your computer sucking. Unless you ripped it then played it in Widows Media Player, then the reason it sounds weird is probably the cd's protection.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. It will not play in Windows Media Player.

I think it's pretty funny that they go through all this shit and the album still got ripped and hit the 'net 3 weeks before release date

[quote name='peteloaf']FYI Technicaly any AUDIO disc that contains any sort of "protection" is technicaly NOT a CD. Years back there was a Celine Dion Disc that would shut off or crash any computer it was inserted in. Here's an old article from slashdot, search slashdot for many more articles
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/03/226233&tid=141[/QUOTE]

That's true, but I doubt the store will buy that argument. Anyway, I'm pissed off enough to go give it a try. I'm heading back to the store now. I'll let you all know how it goes.

ill be really pissed if i cant get this to copy onto my mp3 player, cuz thats what i use in the car all the time, not lame cds

Are you guys ridiculous? This is probably the 3rd CD I've purchased that has this protection against PIRATES. All you have to do is burn the CD, then rip mp3s from the burned copy of the CD. It's not defective or broken. IDK why you would say don't purchase the CD, because it's a very stupid reason to not buy a CD.

Also IDK what the OP is talking about, if you just accept the terms of the agreement, yes a web browser will pop up. But all you have to do is copy the songs, and they will work in media player. At least for me it did, if that's not the case IDK what you're doing.

I better be able to rip the CD to mp3. I was planning on making an MP3 Jukebox Foo Fighters Anthology CD, with all of their songs on it.

Ugh, and the fucking limited edition is $30! Need money!

[quote name='evilmregg']Just picked up the new Foo Fighters album today without noticing the sticker on the front that says, "This CD is protected against unauthorized duplication... etc., etc." I should have looked closer. To make a long story short, I'm not big on buying CDs that I can't listen the way I choose, which is ripping them to my iPod and playing them from there. Since the store I bought it from has a policy of not accepting returns on opened CDs, though, I'm pretty much screwed.
[/QUOTE]

Are you saying you are not able to rip your new CD to mp3 and play it on your iPod? That sucks. I hope other CDs don't have this type of protection because I like to rip my CDs to mp3 and either listen to them on my PC or on my iPod.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I better be able to rip the CD to mp3. I was planning on making an MP3 Jukebox Foo Fighters Anthology CD, with all of their songs on it.

Ugh, and the fucking limited edition is $30! Need money![/QUOTE]

...Read my prior post, do the steps I said and then you can. Kind of a bitch, but its the only way.

Stop calling the thing that is not a CD a CD!

I'm glad to know this protects against PIRATES, but not against PANDAS.

Why should you "accept the terms or the agreement"? Why enter an agreement with something that you own?

If I ever pay for music, I expect an unemcumbered format. Do you not realize DRM is bad? Do a little web search on DRM, especially DRM + RIAA, and see what you come up with.

[quote name='eldad9']Stop calling the thing that is not a CD a CD!

I'm glad to know this protects against PIRATES, but not against PANDAS.

Why should you "accept the terms or the agreement"? Why enter an agreement with something that you own?

If I ever pay for music, I expect an unemcumbered format. Do you not realize DRM is bad? Do a little web search on DRM, especially DRM + RIAA, and see what you come up with.[/QUOTE]

Nothing can be against Pandas, we're endangered.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Are you guys ridiculous? This is probably the 3rd CD I've purchased that has this protection against PIRATES. All you have to do is burn the CD, then rip mp3s from the burned copy of the CD. It's not defective or broken. IDK why you would say don't purchase the CD, because it's a very stupid reason to not buy a CD.

Also IDK what the OP is talking about, if you just accept the terms of the agreement, yes a web browser will pop up. But all you have to do is copy the songs, and they will work in media player. At least for me it did, if that's not the case IDK what you're doing.[/QUOTE]
I could be wrong, but I could've sworn that the point of the protection was to prevent people from burning it.

How did you do it, then? If you copied the CD flat-out, wouldn't the protection have come with it?

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']I could be wrong, but I could've sworn that the point of the protection was to prevent people from burning it.

How did you do it, then? If you copied the CD flat-out, wouldn't the protection have come with it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems illogical. I dealt with another company with the last CD I got that had this sort of protection. I asked them if there was any way I could get the songs on my iPod and they said to burn the CD and re-rip the songs which made me laugh.

And yes, I just copied the CD. I haven't tried it with this CD yet but I will.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Are you guys ridiculous? This is probably the 3rd CD I've purchased that has this protection against PIRATES. All you have to do is burn the CD, then rip mp3s from the burned copy of the CD. It's not defective or broken. IDK why you would say don't purchase the CD, because it's a very stupid reason to not buy a CD.

Also IDK what the OP is talking about, if you just accept the terms of the agreement, yes a web browser will pop up. But all you have to do is copy the songs, and they will work in media player. At least for me it did, if that's not the case IDK what you're doing.[/QUOTE]

It's not protection against pirates, it's a "fuck you" to consumers. I'm not pirating the album. I legally own it and simply tried to copy the songs to my iPod which is completely, 100% legal under fair use laws. I haven't tried copying it to a CD first and then ripping it, but why the hell should I have to go through that hassle in the first place? I'm the consumer. I'm giving them money for a product that I assume is not going to be defective, and discs with DRM on them are defective.

Anyway, I went back to the store (Target, if you're wondering) and as I suspected, they did not accept it as a return even though I explained to them the issue and that it was not actually a CD in the first place. They said they could not accept it because of "copyright law." This sounds fishy to me. If that's the case, how can used CD stores operate? Can anyone confirm or deny their claim?

Panda, is it as easy as me placing the CD in my drive, opening RecordNow, and doing an Exact Disc Copy? Or do I need something more advanced?

Well, I was planning on copying my disc when I buy it anyway. I'm hoping to get the DualDisc, and I don't want to scratch it up, I was going to make copies of all the sides and store the original away.

This happened to me with A Static Lullaby's new CD back in April. I paid $14 for it an was unable to put the songs on my iPod (the only way I listen to music anymore). I downloaded the songs the next day. Way to go jackasses, you practically forced me to download the CD to listen to it the way I want.

[quote name='flowery']if all else fails and you dont want the cd then you can send it my way...[/QUOTE]

But then I would be an enabler, and I couldn't do that. ;)

[quote name='evilmregg']It's not protection against pirates, it's a "fuck you" to consumers. I'm not pirating the album. I legally own it and simply tried to copy the songs to my iPod which is completely, 100% legal under fair use laws. I haven't tried copying it to a CD first and then ripping it, but why the hell should I have to go through that hassle in the first place? I'm the consumer. I'm giving them money for a product that I assume is not going to be defective, and discs with DRM on them are defective.

Anyway, I went back to the store (Target, if you're wondering) and as I suspected, they did not accept it as a return even though I explained to them the issue and that it was not actually a CD in the first place. They said they could not accept it because of "copyright law." This sounds fishy to me. If that's the case, how can used CD stores operate? Can anyone confirm or deny their claim?[/QUOTE]

By no means was I calling you a pirate, I just meant in general. And yeah, I was pissed off the first time I bought a CD like this too, but I did the little bitch steps to get it on my iPod and that was that. It sucks, but this will probably become more and more common.

Yeah, I just copied the CD straight up.

[quote name='evilmregg']Anyway, I went back to the store (Target, if you're wondering) and as I suspected, they did not accept it as a return even though I explained to them the issue and that it was not actually a CD in the first place. They said they could not accept it because of "copyright law." This sounds fishy to me. If that's the case, how can used CD stores operate? Can anyone confirm or deny their claim?[/QUOTE]

I can explain this. The target employee was, to use the technical term, lying to you. If there's a law that prevents stores from accepting returns of defective products, I'd like to see it.

Now, either go back there and demand your money, call your credit card company (if you paid with a credit card), or write off the money and vow never to buy any RIAA music, now that you know a little bit about what they're doing with your money.

For more information:

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

http://www.downhillbattle.org/

[quote name='A Happy Panda']By no means was I calling you a pirate, I just meant in general. And yeah, I was pissed off the first time I bought a CD like this too, but I did the little bitch steps to get it on my iPod and that was that. It sucks, but this will probably become more and more common.

Yeah, I just copied the CD straight up.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'll try copying the CD first and see if that works. Thanks for the tip. You know what the funny thing is? Technically, by doing so you are circumventing the manufacturer's encryption and thus committing a crime under the DMCA. Basically, to makes legal fair use of the product I have to commit an illegal act. So, why not just download it in the first place and get it over with?

It will be interesting to see if it does become more common, because even though these copy protection techniques have been commercially available for years now, only a very small percentage of albums actually make use of them. With the exploding popularity of MP3 players and the iPod in particular, I don't think consumers will be happy if this becomes a widespread thing, and they will let the record companies know they're not happy.

Of course, the best way to avoid draconian DRM schemes is to buy CD released by indie labels, because the only albums I've seen use it are major-label releases. I only occasionally buy major-label releases, and now I'm even less inclined to do so.

As an aside, thanks to industry lobbying, it's not legal to rip the CD - it's circumventing technology restricting access to copyrighted material, and is illegal under the DMCA. You're thinking of either pre-1998 or some enlightened country.

[quote name='eldad9']I can explain this. The target employee was, to use the technical term, lying to you. If there's a law that prevents stores from accepting returns of defective products, I'd like to see it.

Now, either go back there and demand your money, call your credit card company (if you paid with a credit card), or write off the money and vow never to buy any RIAA music, now that you know a little bit about what they're doing with your money.

For more information:

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

http://www.downhillbattle.org/[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling that was the case. She gave me the phone number for Target's corporate return department, so I'll be letting them know what I think of that b.s.

[quote name='evilmregg']But then I would be an enabler, and I couldn't do that. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey when your cheap and dont want to buy the cd a man has to try.

That's the spirit. Remember, you bought a defective product - or worse, one that was misrepresented. Be polite, but don't take no for an answer. Did you use a credit card to pay? If so, you have at least token leverage - if they refuse the return, you can always deny payment.

[quote name='javeryh']This happened to me with A Static Lullaby's new CD back in April. I paid $14 for it an was unable to put the songs on my iPod (the only way I listen to music anymore). I downloaded the songs the next day. Way to go jackasses, you practically forced me to download the CD to listen to it the way I want.[/QUOTE]

:lol: This is hilarious cause isn't the point of this protection to STOP people from downloading it off the net? I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "defective" because it was designed to not let you copy it, so it is in fact quite operational. I personally am not effected by these CDs since I do not have an iPod yet and if/when I ever get one or any MP3 player, I have enough CDs that I can copy to keep me plenty busy.

It does suck for those of you who want to rip songs onto your MP3 players though. I think the intent is to stop people from getting the songs for free though, which doesn't sound like it's working.

I'm not going to read all that, but as a PC gamer I can safely say that copy protection only hurts the honest consumers.

I can download anything weeks before it comes for free out or I can wait until its released and take the chance it may not work with my equipment because the publisher wants to stop pirating.

Anyone thats going to pirate a game is going to pirate a game. I don't think there is a copy protection that hasn't been cracked or circumvented. Asinine policies and programs like these only hurt people that actually pay for the product.

Well, I can confirm that the "backway method" they "devised" works with iTunes.

This is utter fucking crap. I should not have to waste an hour of my life and two blank CD-R's to listen to the album I paid for.

[quote name='chickenhawk']:lol: This is hilarious cause isn't the point of this protection to STOP people from downloading it off the net? I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "defective" because it was designed to not let you copy it, so it is in fact quite operational. I personally am not effected by these CDs since I do not have an iPod yet and if/when I ever get one or any MP3 player, I have enough CDs that I can copy to keep me plenty busy. [/QUOTE]

The point of DRM is to prevent unauthorised use of the DRMd copies. You can't expect no non-DRMd copies to exist unless the DRM is foolproof - and it never is (it can't be).

If the product is supposed to be an audio CD it's defective, because it does not adhere to the audio CD standard. If it's not supposed to be an audio CD it's probably misrepresented.

[quote name='Draccius']Well, I can confirm that the "backway method" they "devised" works with iTunes.

This is utter fucking crap. I should not have to waste an hour of my life and two blank CD-R's to listen to the album I paid for.[/QUOTE]

Fine. Then only buy non-RIAA music; you should be fine.

[quote name='eldad9']Fine. Then only buy non-RIAA music; you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Listen, I understand you may be supporting the practice or totally against it, I don't really know. I respect it either way.

I was mad. I'm over it. I still think it is a pain and I hope this can get resolved, because I doubt I am the only person who enjoys the Foo Fighters with an iPod.

I also don't feel like restricting myself to non-RIAA labels. That's really not fair.

I legitimently purchase my music and I understand the need to stop piracy, but this is not fair to consumers.

this is weird...i've had about 3 cds with the sticker you are talking about (starting line, foo fighters, etc.) and i've still been able to rip them and put them on my iPod. if it helps i have a mac running OSX 10.2.8 and i use itunes to rip my cds. i have had no problems extracting from the cd's and putting them on my iPod.

OK, here's another update: I went to another nearby Target (there are 4 within 30 minutes driving distance because I live in Hell), and I initially got the same response from the manager. Then after explaining further how the product is NOT a CD and it is NOT illegal for me to return it to the store, she finally told me I could exchange it for another, different CD. I ended up getting the Garden State soundtrack. Here's the punchline: It was one cent more, and they insisted I pay the difference. I was happy with that compromise, since I still got a CD I wanted and the Foo Fighters CD will be returned as defective, which it most certainly is.

[quote name='Draccius']I also don't feel like restricting myself to non-RIAA labels. That's really not fair.

I legitimently purchase my music and I understand the need to stop piracy, but this is not fair to consumers.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree; this is not fair to consumers.

But the RIAA thinks (or pretends) it is. And you support RIAA actions (and fund DRM) with your purchases. Why should they change their ways?

[quote name='evilmregg']OK, here's another update: I went to another nearby Target (there are 4 within 30 minutes driving distance because I live in Hell), and I initially got the same response from the manager. Then after explaining further how the product is NOT a CD and it is NOT illegal for me to return it to the store, she finally told me I could exchange it for another, different CD. I ended up getting the Garden State soundtrack. Here's the punchline: It was one cent more, and they insisted I pay the difference. I was happy with that compromise, since I still got a CD I wanted and the Foo Fighters CD will be returned as defective, which it most certainly is.[/QUOTE]

Hooray for infinite justice!

[quote name='muncle']that is a nice deal..the garden state is a great soundtrack, great choice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm listening to it right now. Good stuff! (And no DRM.)

bread's done
Back