New "Futurama" episodes to have new voice actors... . - Original Voice Cast Is Back!

DestroVega

CAGiversary!
Why even bother bringing the show back then? I won't watch it with new voices...

When the "Futurama" characters come back for new episodes on Comedy Central in mid-2010, they may sound different.

That is because producing studio 20th TV is proceeding with auditioning new actors for the roles after failing to reach an agreement with the original voice cast: John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche, Billy West, Tress MacNeille and Katey Sagal.

"We love the 'Futurama' voice performers and absolutely wanted to use them, but unfortunately, we could not meet their salary demands," the studio said in a statement Friday. "While replacing these talented actors will be difficult, the show must go on."

Back in June when 20th TV and Comedy Central announced a deal to produce 26 new episodes of "Futurama," the producers noted that no deals with the show's original voice cast had been closed but expressed confidence that all of them would return.

When, under similar circumstances another canceled Fox/20th TV animated series, "Family Guy," was resurrected with a pickup of new episodes by Adult Swim in 2005, the show's entire voice cast came back for what is described as approximately the same salaries they were paid when "Guy" aired on Fox from 1999-2002.

The cast of "Futurama," which ran on Fox from 1999-2002, are said to have been offered modest pay increases but have insisted for bumps of several times what they used to make.

However, on "Family Guy," creator Seth MacFarlane voices the key characters, while the entire cast of "Futurama," like that of "The Simpsons," consists of outside actors.

Matt Groening, who co-created "Futurama" with David X. Cohen, knows a thing or two about voice casts standoffs.

The "Simpsons" creator had gone through a series of bruising renegotiations with the actors on the long-running Fox series.

Just like the current scuttle on "Futurama," in 1998 20th TV hired casting directors to recast the actors on "The Simpsons." A deal was ultimately reached.

In 2004 and 2008, the series' seasons were cut short after the "Simpsons" voice cast boycotted table reads as part of the tense salary negotiations.

Despite the salary disputes, "Simpsons" reached the 20-season mark with its original voice cast intact.

With "Futurama," there also is a possibility that the two sides would come to an agreement.

In the meanwhile, it's going to be rough for the casting directors assigned to find replacement actors who have already started to receive threats from fans of the show.

The topic of the actors' recasting is expected to be addressed during the "Futurama" panel 20th TV will hold during the upcoming Comic-Con which will include Groening and Cohen.

That makes me a saaaaad panda. Hopefully no voice actors in their right mind will touch this one, putting fox in a spot where they will have to use the original cast.

[quote name='Rocko']Seems like a ploy to get the voice actors to lower their salary.[/QUOTE]

ditto

really love the show, hope they could reach an agreement. don't know if it'll be watchable without billy west.

Read about this yesterday and had a good laugh. Current fans would rebel en masse if this actually happened. Way to go, idiots in charge.

If they don't sound the same I'm not watching it. I will go back to the old DVDs I have of the show.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Read about this yesterday and had a good laugh. Current fans would rebel en masse if this actually happened. Way to go, idiots in charge.[/QUOTE]

Bah, I thought you were a sub fan! ;)

The actress behind Layla was terrible, she put absolutely no effort into it (and I'm a HUGE Married with Children fan). So, I'm not disappointed in the change to be honest. Fry, Farnsworth, and Zoidberg were great, the rest could easily been improved, and a female computer voice would be as adequate as Layla.

I welcome the change, if they can pick up Fry at least.

Pretty outrageous that a bunch of no-names try to extort several-fold increases.. blame the actors not the producers

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Read about this yesterday and had a good laugh. Current fans would rebel en masse if this actually happened. Way to go, idiots in charge.[/QUOTE]This is pretty much how I reacted, except for the good laugh part. I can definitely see network suits deciding that this would be a workable solution, instead of the gigantic epic flaming fiasco it actually would be.

Holding out hope that this is all just negotiation posturing, and the deals with the original cast will get worked out eventually. :pray:

[quote name='cowsho']The actress behind Layla was terrible, she put absolutely no effort into it (and I'm a HUGE Married with Children fan). So, I'm not disappointed in the change to be honest. Fry, Farnsworth, and Zoidberg were great, the rest could easily been improved, and a female computer voice would be as adequate as Layla.

I welcome the change, if they can pick up Fry at least.[/QUOTE]

You're obviously not a fan as you don't even know the character's name (it's Leela). Also Fry, Farnsworth, and Zoidberg are all the same actor (Billy West).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You're obviously not a fan as you don't even know the character's name (it's Leela). Also Fry, Farnsworth, and Zoidberg are all the same actor (Billy West).[/QUOTE]

Leela, Layla. I can't see any difference.

11c71ue.jpg

2ACV15

It's probably just a ploy to get the actors to accept lower salaries, but Comedy Central is completely stupid. For instance, they keep a terrible show
(Drawn Together)
for seasons, but they cancel brilliant shows
(Stella)
after one. If it wasn't for Reno 911! and Michael and Michael Have Issues, I'd rarely watch that channel.

[quote name='Danimal']Holding out hope that this is all just negotiation posturing, and the deals with the original cast will get worked out eventually. :pray:[/QUOTE]

And maybe, if everything works out, they can work the situation into a throwaway joke somewhere, like starting off the season with about 20 seconds of random staffers handling the voices.

...but that would be wrong. And mean. ;)

[quote name='wildcpac']It's not like Peggy Bundy and Billy West are doing anything else.[/QUOTE]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0921942/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005408/

That would be exactly wrong. Billy West is in very high demand for commercial work as well as animation voiceovers. Katey Sagal has a current TV series (Sons of Anarchy) and is a popular actress for guest shots, such as the most recent CSI season. In addition, the success with 'Married With Children' in syndication after a very long run is a gold mine for those in the residual pool. She doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to do or deem worth her time.

Without the core voice cast the revival is dead in the water. They'll reach a compromise. It's a normal part of the wrangling process.

Other less critical actors have made a mistake in holding out. Jorja Fox and George Eads threatened to leave CSI if their monetary demands weren't met and soon learned that the only two players on the show considered indispensible were William Peterson and Marg Helgenberger. (Her husband becoming SAG President might have helped a bit.) Peterson has retired from his onscreen role but still owns a piece of the show as part of the deal that got him to take the role at the start, so he has a vested interest in its continued success. The leads of all the CSI franchises have similar deals, helping to launch the new spin-offs with a well established actor in the most prominent role.

[quote name='Koggit']Pretty outrageous that a bunch of no-names try to extort several-fold increases.. blame the actors not the producers[/QUOTE]

Ummm...yeah, I hope this was sarcasm, but Katey Segal is hardly a no name actress in Hollywood, and neither is Billy West as a voice actor (met him once at Comic-Con right before they announced the Futurama dvds. Great guy, tons of fun to chat to.)

I don't know why everyone is freaking out so hard on this. Would you rather have no futurerama? I'll take anything even if it doesn't have the new voices. Even if it blows, all that means is I won't buy the dvds.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Ummm...yeah, I hope this was sarcasm, but Katey Segal is hardly a no name actress in Hollywood, and neither is Billy West as a voice actor (met him once at Comic-Con right before they announced the Futurama dvds. Great guy, tons of fun to chat to.)[/QUOTE]

Also, Katey Sagal has some direct experience with how the loss of a critical actor can kill a show. '8 Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter' had gotten off to a very good start with Sagal as the female lead and three episodes for the second season had been completed when male lead John Ritter collapsed on the set during rehearsal and died later that day of an aortic dissection. Despite casting two additional male relative roles to try to fill the gap, the show never recovered. The second season saw a ratings spike, probably due largely to curiosity about how an actor's death would be handled. After the novelty wore off the ratings declined quickly and the show was moved to a dreaded Friday night time slot. There was a bit of creepiness in watching genuinely grieving people portraying other grieving people.

Oddly, one of the shows that beat it in the ratings in the new time slot was 'Joan of Arcadia,' which had Ritter's son Jason in the cast, although that show soon followed into cancellation.

[quote name='KingDox']I don't know why everyone is freaking out so hard on this. Would you rather have no futurerama? I'll take anything even if it doesn't have the new voices. Even if it blows, all that means is I won't buy the dvds.[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes, I would rather they do nothing at all than do it badly. It isn't going to affect my life either way but I'd rather not see something degraded in the pursuit of more sales.

It's like the line Denis Leary had on 'No Cure For Cancer' about how much better it would have been if somebody had killed Elvis Presley in 1959 so he could be remembered in a good way.

It'll be canceled by ep 3, from very low ratings. Meanwhile, the studio will be swamped with mails demanding new REAL Futurama eps. Though I'd like to take a moment to mourn the loss of 99% of 20th TV's revenue, which is the only explanation for their being such cheapskates.

[quote name='epobirs']It's like the line Denis Leary had on 'No Cure For Cancer' about how much better it would have been if somebody had killed Elvis Presley in 1959 so he could be remembered in a good way.[/QUOTE]
Yes, with all the disdain for Elvis Presley out there today.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yes, with all the disdain for Elvis Presley out there today.[/QUOTE]

I remember him as that fat guy that died on the toilet of a drug overdose while eating a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.:fridge:

The only thing I can compare this to is the switch in the lead voice actor for Ranma 1/2. Granted, Ranma isn't as well known as Futurama, but I was able to get used to it. The difference is that Ranma wasn't replacing an entire cast though.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Ummm...yeah, I hope this was sarcasm, but Katey Segal is hardly a no name actress in Hollywood, and neither is Billy West as a voice actor (met him once at Comic-Con right before they announced the Futurama dvds. Great guy, tons of fun to chat to.)[/QUOTE]
they're b-listers & don't have any reason to demand several-fold pay increases, it's just extortion... their IMDB pages linked prove they've been up to nothing.. for my sake i wish the producers had indulged their extortion, but i definitely understand why they didn't, i probably wouldn't either just on principle, "you want how much? get the fuck out of my office"

[quote name='Koggit']they're b-listers & don't have any reason to demand several-fold pay increases, it's just extortion... their IMDB pages linked prove they've been up to nothing.. for my sake i wish the producers had indulged their extortion, but i definitely understand why they didn't, i probably wouldn't either just on principle, "you want how much? get the fuck out of my office"[/QUOTE]

Anyone actually have any idea how much they're asking for? The only number I can find out there is that they're asking for 75k an episode, which doesn't sound like an overly huge amount.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only thing I can compare this to is the switch in the lead voice actor for Ranma 1/2. Granted, Ranma isn't as well known as Futurama, but I was able to get used to it. The difference is that Ranma wasn't replacing an entire cast though.[/QUOTE]

i hated when they switched the voice of Ranma, took me off guard and i never recovered.

[quote name='docvinh']Anyone actually have any idea how much they're asking for? The only number I can find out there is that they're asking for 75k an episode, which doesn't sound like an overly huge amount.[/QUOTE]
Well I'm not sure what the budget of these new episodes is but I know when it was on primetime on FOX they were producing for $250k an episode. I haven't heard anything about what they're asking, but 75k seems really high to me. That's almost $2 million for the year, most high-profile actors in primetime shows don't even pull that much. Or do you mean like 75k combined for all of them? That would be more reasonable I think... although it's hard to say without knowing their Comedy Central budget, it's likely substantially less than what FOX was giving them to produce a primetime show.

But yeah, I doubt we'll find out, at least not anytime soon, so it's kinda pointless for me to speculate.

If Futurama is going to air again, they need the original voice cast!!! To put in new voices would be a mistake. Leave that shit for new and upcoming shows, not from those coming back from the dead. They all deserve the money, especially Billy West.

[quote name='Koggit']Well I'm not sure what the budget of these new episodes is but I know when it was on primetime on FOX they were producing for $250k an episode. I haven't heard anything about what they're asking, but 75k seems really high to me. That's almost $2 million for the year, most high-profile actors in primetime shows don't even pull that much. Or do you mean like 75k combined for all of them? That would be more reasonable I think... although it's hard to say without knowing their Comedy Central budget, it's likely substantially less than what FOX was giving them to produce a primetime show.

But yeah, I doubt we'll find out, at least not anytime soon, so it's kinda pointless for me to speculate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have no idea really, just some random quotes from people saying that 75k, so I dunno if that's for the whole cast or what. I know that the simpsons is making somewhere in the neighborhood of 400k per episode for each cast member, and while Futurama has not remotely had the same amount of success, it just didn't seem like 75k was out of line.

I am a huge fan of Futurama. I've seen all episodes, all movies, and even played that awful Futurama game. The show without the original cast will not be worth watching.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only thing I can compare this to is the switch in the lead voice actor for Ranma 1/2. Granted, Ranma isn't as well known as Futurama, but I was able to get used to it. The difference is that Ranma wasn't replacing an entire cast though.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, 1 voice you can kinda ignore, but the entire cast?! Hell suck it up and at least get back Bender and Fry

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']The thought of Bender with a new voice is making me very, very sad. No one else can sing the Bender is great song...[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I can't imagine the show without Bender's original voice actor.

I would guess they'll be doing some emergency negotiations to try and get a deal worked out before Comic-Con. According to the description of the panel Fox executives are going to be there, and if they still haven't agreed to hiring the original voice actors I imagine they will get a pretty major reaction when the subject comes up.

It's especially bad since Billy West does half the voices on the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']Yes, with all the disdain for Elvis Presley out there today.[/QUOTE]

Can you name another celebrity that has been more mocked and disparaged posthumously? That there is a lunatic legion of worshipers doesn't change the fact that he'd become a grotesque parody of himself by the time of his death.

Well, that and Ranma 1/2 being pretty obscure in the US. I've found that a big portion of the InuYasha fan base has never heard of Ranma or Uresei Yatsura. It seems to be an odd lack of curiosity. Personally, if I like a creator's work I go looking to see what else they've done.

Until recently I'd only seen a few later season episodes and so came to know the character (animatted version, I'd read most of the manga before) with the same voice as InuYasha. When I recently, um, acquired a complete set of the series I was a bit surprised to find it started off with someone else in the role. So I oddly had a reverse annoyance.

This curiosity can have great benefits. After watching 'Coupling' I was a bit infatuated with Sarah Alexander and discovered a lot of other interesting performers from watching her other work. I also turned up a VHSrip of that hard to find all-nekkid first episode of 'Armstrong and Miller' that has been left off the DVD release.

[quote name='Koggit']they're b-listers & don't have any reason to demand several-fold pay increases, it's just extortion... their IMDB pages linked prove they've been up to nothing.. for my sake i wish the producers had indulged their extortion, but i definitely understand why they didn't, i probably wouldn't either just on principle, "you want how much? get the fuck out of my office"[/QUOTE]

Did you look at the same IMDB pages I did? They're both quite busy. IMDB doesn't list ad work, which West does a lot. And what part of 'major cast role in a current TV series in production' sounds like not a lot going on to you?

When 'Everybody Loves Raymond' was going into its final season, Brad Garrett held out for a much bigger piece of the pie. Now he is somebody who couldn't be described as having an overloaded scedule but they gave it to him. The series was doing excellent numbers and had started syndication, which is where the really big money rolls in. The more completed episodes they had to expand the syndication package the more it was worth. Garrett was too important to the show even if he didn't have other offers piling up.

This happens a lot when sitcoms reach the syndication stage. There were similar holdouts on Seinfeld, Friends, Roseanne, and several other shows. It just comes down to how important a performer is to the show. Some of the other Futurama characters could be eliminated without much disruption, considering that they often didn't appear at all in episodes. Hermes and Amy could have new voice actors or the characters left out/replaced. It's unlikely Phil LaMarr or Lauren Tom would feel they were in a position to hold up production over salary negotiations.

bread's done
Back