New GS rewards program on the way, new version of Edge

Ibramgaunt249

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Didn't see this posted yet, and not sure where else to post it but here.

Game Stop is starting a new rewards program to replace the Edge card. There is a free version, which only earns you points on the stuff you buy, and a version that costs $15 which is a combination of this new program, and Edge card, and a few extra things.

It is only in beta right now, nothing on the site about when it will go live. But the beta version is available at participating locations.

More Information on:
http://poweruprewards.com/Home/Benefits
http://kotaku.com/5546374/gamestop-powers-up-a-new-rewards-program

As long as we get continue to have our 10% off used games, strategy guides, and +10% on trade-ins, I'm okay with whatever new bonuses we get.

The manager at one of my local Gamestops has been talking about this for quite a while. I'm hopeful it comes here or goes nationwide soon, since I buy a good 90% of my games from Gamestop now, anyway. :p

For every dollar you spend on new merchandise at GameStop using the card, you earn 10 reward points. Used merchandise scores you 20 points per dollar, as do trade-ins. You also get bonuses on your birthday, upon initial activation, and upon establishing your online games library, which I assume GameStop will use to aim marketing in your direction.

The rewards range from coupons for $5-$10 off purchases ranging from 4000 to 8000 points to even free Xbox 360 controllers or Turtle Beach X11 headsets for 40,000 points.

Wow, spend $400 on new games and get $5 off. OR spend $4000 and get a new 360 controller. It's probably a Mad Catz, too. I'll have to stick with my BestBuy RewardZone or Amazon for now.

As long as it's good on online purchases as well, I'll be happy to join for free. I'm guessing you'll need thousands of points to get gift cards, but the potential for something is better than nothing.

The rewards are terrible but I'll still probably use the free card. I do most of my video game shopping at Gamestop anyway, at least this card will help me save $5 on every $400 I spend! :p Hey, better than nothing.

I'm def in, I save/make so much money off of the EDGE already, this could be pretty good! I cant wait to see the logistics/benefits that go with the program. Thanks OP

Doesn't seem that great but will we get a free upgrade from Edge? And will our credit transfer from the Edge to the PoweredUp?

The thing is this replaces EDGE. Has the same 10% for used/trade ins. For the same $15 you have the option of getting more stuff. Granted it will cost a lot in the long run, but it does add up just like Best Buy Reward Zone. For BB you need to spend $500 for $10 off, so it's rather similar. And since you get a bunch of bonus points right off the bat and you get points for trade ins as well as purchases it doesn't seem bad to me.

I actually called GS to talk to them about this. According to the woman who spoke to her manager, this is launching nationwide in a week or so.

I split my business between too many retailers to take advantage of this alot. $400 for $5 isn't worth it to me. But considering the price is staying the same, still getting Game Informer, still getting 10% of used and 10%+ on trade-ins I can't complain.

All I see is they are adding in a free route (much like you'll find at BB or TRU) plus this point system so every once in a while you get some free money. Long as they keep the previous things the EDGE card and I buy $150 of used stuff a year (paying for the card essentially) I'll stay with the Pro.

Chances are they'll make your points expire each year so nobody will be able to save up for anything nice anyways. Spending enough money to earn a GOOD point reward is like when you pay $50 at the carnival to win a $1 stuffed bear :p

[quote name='botticus']As long as it's good on online purchases as well, I'll be happy to join for free. I'm guessing you'll need thousands of points to get gift cards, but the potential for something is better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The reward structure doesn't seem super exciting, but for those of us who were already spending and trading in hundreds or thousands of dollars at Gamestop already, it's a nice little bonus.

Also, calculating it out (4000 pts = $5), the points bonus is actually better than it seems:

New games/consoles: 1.25% bonus
Used games & trade-ins: 2.5% bonus

Not so terrible for a FREE program.

I'd go for the $14.99 one since I subscribe to Game Informer w/ Edge already anyway, would be no different except I could get rewards down the line. So to me, it exceeds the program I currently use, for the same price, so sounds good to me.

This paid version replaces EDGE which is already a deal for many people. The usual gamestop haters are gonna bash it regardless.

I'm interested in how the "Welcome Offer" B2G1 free will work. I hope they give you a coupon to redeem or something.

[quote name='btw1217']Wow, spend $400 on new games and get $5 off. OR spend $4000 and get a new 360 controller. It's probably a Mad Catz, too. I'll have to stick with my BestBuy RewardZone or Amazon for now.[/QUOTE]

with the amount of games I flipped/bought to flip other places with them last year, I would have hit that $400 mark in a day.

$5 per $400 is better than nothing. But not much more.
Program will be as useful for me as BB's program, which is none.

i thought the rewards program is implemented already after the nerf fiasco. you trade 2 of the same game you and you win insta-ban from trading :)

[quote name='perdition(troy']with the amount of games I flipped/bought to flip other places with them last year, I would have hit that $400 mark in a day.[/QUOTE]

In a situation like that, where you trade-in a lot or already shop at GameStop and are essentially getting an upgraded Edge card, I could understand it. You would need to buy or trade-in a lot of used games to make this worth using. But if GameStop is hoping this will bring in consumers from competing businesses, and not just offer more rewards to their current customers, then I think they may be disappointed.

Let's see. If 4000 pts = $5 off coupon, and you earn 10 pts on each new dollar spent, 20 pts on each used dollar spent or traded, then you could earn $5 off by trading in $100 worth of stuff and buying $100 worth of used stuff. That's pretty easy to do.

Let's just think of it this through a flipping standpoint:

$15.00 Used Game that Trades in at Amazon for $30.00

Cost after Edge: $13.50
Reward Points: 270 Reward Points

$30.00 Game on Amazon that trades in at GameStop for $48.00 after Bonuses *50% + Edge

TIV: $48.00
Reward Points: 960

Total Reward Points Combined: 1230~

Now, not only has $13.50 in credit turned into $48.00 in credit, but you've gained $1.25 extra through rewards. While not alot, on a larger scale: free rewards is free rewards can be a very rewarding bonus.

If you trade as much as alot of people on here do, on a weekly or daily basis, then this is very good.

Oh, snap. :O Went to trade in the NSMBWs I got in the mail today, and one of the guys at my GS admitted that they'll be starting this in my district (Middle Tennessee) yesterday. :D SWEET. I agree, it doesn't seem like it'll pay off any time soon, but since I do almost all my business with Gamestop, any reward is better than none at all. :]

[quote name='phear3d']i thought the rewards program is implemented already after the nerf fiasco. you trade 2 of the same game you and you win insta-ban from trading :)[/QUOTE]
I hope not cuz I may be trading in 3 of the Family Doctor games tomorrow at the one local GS that allows me to do multiples. This is about a month or so after I traded in SIX Toy Story Manias from Blockbuster's BOGO.;)

Sick part is that TSM is still on the eligible list for the 'trade 2, get $40 off a new release game' dealie AND Blockbuster is supposedly doing a B1G1 50% off now.

So I may hit up the close BBV and grab another copy or two of TSM then use that $40 value to pay down my Transformers: War For Cybertron pre-order and only owe them $15 when it comes out next month.;)

Too bad this program's points wouldn't be given out retroactively on prior purchases/trades. If they were, then I'd probably have a ton of $5-10 rewards and a bunch of free 360 controllers coming already.

so since I am paid off for edge for a few more months, I hope it'll transfer over into this rewards program and let me enroll into the premium one free (since it usually costs $14.99) and if it's just doing the same thing as before, but adding a few more extras a bonus i'd say it is good for customers.

If its a free rewards program then I am all for it, however I will not pay to sign up for any rewards program. The problem with paid rewards programs is stores close up and you are left SOL with a useless card. I have seen it happen too many times, all gamecrazy's are closing so if you signed up for their card you are SOL, FYE in my area is pretty much done so those who paid for the backstage pass are screwed, Media play also went down so those who paid for the rewards program at that store got screwed too. Need I also mention CC's rewards program? Therefore it is my policy never to pay for a rewards card.

It also seems like a rewards card is a companies last attempt to keep its customers, media play started their rewards program and a couple years after they closed up, same with the other chains mentioned above.

I don't shop enough at GS or any retailer exclusively to justify a paid rewards card. I like to keep my options open when shopping so I can buy from whatever store has the best deal on my desired item.

I would probably pay for an amazon rewards card of some kind, because they clearly will not be going down anytime soon.

Now I would say GS is pretty safe for at least 3-4 years but as Digital distribution becomes more common, I would watch out.

[quote name='phear3d']i thought the rewards program is implemented already after the nerf fiasco. you trade 2 of the same game you and you win insta-ban from trading :)[/QUOTE]

I never have any problem trading in multiple copies of same game.

This should work out nicely. I tend to buy most of my games from gamestop already, so getting something as opposed to nothing is better. Plus a b2g1 free coupon on edge signup? That is actually pretty awesome.

So do we still get GI with the $15 version? It makes sense to have a free version, though, because a lot of people don't care about getting GI but still want to be able to save money on games. I consider the free GI subscription the real draw to having an Edge card. The discounts and bonuses are just gravy. I usually pick up enough used games to make the card pay by the time I make 2 or 3 visits to the store so it's not like the $15 for the card is money wasted. My current Edge card is good through to the end of this month, so on July 1 I'll have to sign up for the new card if my local store has them by then.

[quote name='SaraAB']If its a free rewards program then I am all for it, however I will not pay to sign up for any rewards program. The problem with paid rewards programs is stores close up and you are left SOL with a useless card. I have seen it happen too many times, all gamecrazy's are closing so if you signed up for their card you are SOL, FYE in my area is pretty much done so those who paid for the backstage pass are screwed, Media play also went down so those who paid for the rewards program at that store got screwed too. Need I also mention CC's rewards program? Therefore it is my policy never to pay for a rewards card.

It also seems like a rewards card is a companies last attempt to keep its customers, media play started their rewards program and a couple years after they closed up, same with the other chains mentioned above.

I don't shop enough at GS or any retailer exclusively to justify a paid rewards card. I like to keep my options open when shopping so I can buy from whatever store has the best deal on my desired item.

I would probably pay for an amazon rewards card of some kind, because they clearly will not be going down anytime soon.

Now I would say GS is pretty safe for at least 3-4 years but as Digital distribution becomes more common, I would watch out.[/QUOTE]

So you don't think the subscription to GI plus 10% off used games plus 10% bonus on trades is reward enough for your $15?

[quote name='CheepGamez']So do we still get GI with the $15 version? It makes sense to have a free version, though, because a lot of people don't care about getting GI but still want to be able to save money on games. [/QUOTE]

Nothing about the EDGE card changes. You still have to buy Game Informer, only now there's the rewards program and you get a card for your keychain which is twice as big as all the other cards on your keychain. The free version is just the rewards with no EDGE. They just roll your account over onto the new card, it's pretty painless and when you get all set up on the website, you also get a Buy 2 Get 1.

Apparently, their biggest selling point is you can buy it up to three years at a time.

[quote name='dabamus']Any idea what part of Ohio is testing it?[/QUOTE]

All of it.

[quote name='Tony208']I'm interested in how the "Welcome Offer" B2G1 free will work. I hope they give you a coupon to redeem or something.[/QUOTE]

You print the coupon from your account, which I didn't find out until I tried to redeem it. *facepalm*

The four test markets for this (in beta until Nov.) are St. Louis, Nashville, Oklahoma, and Ohio (not sure on the exact city markets for OK and OH.)

The pay version is exactly what Edge is now, just with the rewards thing tacked on. Still get Game Informer and the various 10% discounts/boosts. Free version is the rewards program but no "EDGE" benefits.

The rewards payout is crappy but it's better than nothing I guess as long as the Edge benefits remain the same.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The four test markets for this (in beta until Nov.) are St. Louis, Nashville, Oklahoma, and Ohio (not sure on the exact city markets for OK and OH.)[/QUOTE]

Really? I can't remember where I saw it, maybe in the pamphlet they give you, but under the test-markets it just listed those four states. I'm an hour north of Columbus, if it's just one city it makes zero sense that it's this one.

bread's done
Back