New guides $5 + free Edge card at EB B&M (YMMV?)

dratsacras

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(mods: this is my first attempt at a posted deal, sorry if it's in the wrong forum, etc etc)

My local EB store (Independence, MO. Don't hate.) has a stack of older Bradygames guidebooks marked down to $5 each. No great deal by itself, sure, but each guide I bought came with a 1 year EBGames Edge card membership. If this is a corporate thing, then it's a great way for some of you cheapasses to finally pick up an Edge card.

I got: the Onimusha 3 limited edition guide (!), also guides for La Pucelle Tactics, Capcom Fighting Evolution, SVC Chaos, and Castlevania: LoI. YMMV, obviously.

Sorry 'bout the crappy picture, but I'm lazy. If you can't make it out, the sticker says "$5.00 EB Edge discount"

nice...might get on this...i want that capcom fighting evolution guide....or any 2d fighting game guide really (hint hint...SFAC) ;)

but i might check this out...thanks

I think those guides were pennied out. My theory is that you were charged $5 per Edge Card. So you were actually paying for Edge cards and the guides were freebies, not vice versa. But of course, they tagged the guides at $5 each so that it looked more attractive to the consumer.

Anyway, that's just a theory. Nice find anyways.

Thanks, cool deal. If you want to be really evil, you can actually, probably, return the unopened guides later for full credit, getting the Edge card free, in a way. If anyone else can confirm this, it'd be appreciated.

[quote name='nachzeher']I think those guides were pennied out. My theory is that you were charged $5 per Edge Card. So you were actually paying for Edge cards and the guides were freebies, not vice versa. But of course, they tagged the guides at $5 each so that it looked more attractive to the consumer.

Anyway, that's just a theory. Nice find anyways.[/quote]

still not a bad though!!
Except what would you do with all those edge cards??

[quote name='slidecage']why would you need 3 edge cards They dont stack[/quote]

He probably bought the guides and the cards just came with them. Pfft.

Can you use more than one at a time? I mean can you buy something pre-played online and put all 5 card #'s in and get 50% off? If you combined that with the cag15 and saver you could get 65% off plus free shipping. I'm sure that won't work, but if it does let us know. If this works, I will go buy 8 more cards and get all my stuff from EB for free!

[quote name='TJordan522']How much is an Edge card normally?[/quote]

5 dollars for a year's worth of a 10 percent discount that can be stacked with CAG15/CAG16.

Not a bad deal at all. I'm sure those guides probably were pennied out, but considering that most EB's just trash the penny guides that's cool of them to do that. And you can always trade off the extra cards on here. ;)

I hope to see a promo like this . . . my edge is just about up and it would be nice to get some kind of bonus instead of just spending $5.

[quote name='Nephets'][quote name='TJordan522']How much is an Edge card normally?[/quote]

5 dollars for a year's worth of a 10 percent discount that can be stacked with CAG15/CAG16.[/quote]

Plus, free standard shipping with SAVER. :D

[quote name='62t']Those should be one cent..[/quote]

That's kind of what I figured. Most of the stores around here either throw away their pennied guides or the employees hoard 'em for themselves. Truth be told $5 is a little more than I'd like to spend on a guide, but it's still a lot better than $15-25.

[quote name='nachzeher']I think those guides were pennied out. My theory is that you were charged $5 per Edge Card. So you were actually paying for Edge cards and the guides were freebies, not vice versa. But of course, they tagged the guides at $5 each so that it looked more attractive to the consumer.[/quote]

I'd rather think of it as getting guides for $5 each, so I don't feel like a chump for getting 5 memberships. But you're right, too. It's all in your perspective.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']what do you want for the Onimusha 3 and La Pucelee guides?[/quote]

I want to keep them. That's kind of why I bought them for $5. Want me to go back and get some more?

[quote name='TJordan522']Can you spare one of those Edge cards? I sent you a PM.[/quote]

PM replied.

[quote name='slidecage']why would you need 3 edge cards They dont stack[/quote]

Say slidecage, settle a bet for me. What do paint chips taste like?

[quote name='lurknomore']that's funny. instead of deal, they snookered you.[/quote]

Again, it's all in how you look at it. If they're taking the $0.01 guides off the shelf, then I can't buy them anyway. $5 isn't a bad price for a new guide. Plus I have Edge cards to give away, making me popular and handsome.

[quote name='lurknomore']that's funny. instead of deal, they snookered you.[/quote]

If he's interested in the guides, that's not a bad deal. I'd pay $5 for the Castlevania guide.

But you're right, they managed to sell 5 edge cards which must equate with some kind of bonus for the seller at the store . . . right?

[quote name='nachzeher']Quick warning, Edge cards has a link in the database to your personal information. You don't wanan give them out to just anybody.[/quote]

Could you elaborate on that? I gave them my name, address, and phone number when I got the cards. I'd have to give most of that information to anybody if I traded with them anyway. What else could somebody do with an Edge card that I bought?

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']what do you want for the Onimusha 3 and La Pucelee guides?[/quote]

[quote name='dratsacras']I want to keep them. That's kind of why I bought them for $5. Want me to go back and get some more?[/quote]

uhm would you be able to pick up another guide for LoI? also you said brady guides. are there any FF guides there by chance?

It is not a company thing that that store is doing. Those guides were pennied out and should have been thrown/given away. This is just a way for the store to sell some edge cards so people dont yell at them.

thanks, hopefully my eb have star ocean: till the end of time guide, final fantasy x, and final fantasy x-2, for $5 each.

Does anyone know how much a secret of mana guide goes for? I still have it.

LOL!!!!!!!! That store manager is gonna get SOOOOO busted. Those guides were marked down to a penny yesterday ... Edge Cards cost 5.00 ... the only thing free in that deal is the guide lol.

[quote name='hotwls13']Can you use more than one at a time? I mean can you buy something pre-played online and put all 5 card #'s in and get 50% off? If you combined that with the cag15 and saver you could get 65% off plus free shipping. I'm sure that won't work, but if it does let us know. If this works, I will go buy 8 more cards and get all my stuff from EB for free![/quote]

You are an idiot.

[quote name='mtxbass1'][quote name='hotwls13']Can you use more than one at a time? I mean can you buy something pre-played online and put all 5 card #'s in and get 50% off? If you combined that with the cag15 and saver you could get 65% off plus free shipping. I'm sure that won't work, but if it does let us know. If this works, I will go buy 8 more cards and get all my stuff from EB for free![/quote]

You are an idiot.[/quote]
:rofl:

[quote name='mtxbass1'][quote name='hotwls13']Can you use more than one at a time? I mean can you buy something pre-played online and put all 5 card #'s in and get 50% off? If you combined that with the cag15 and saver you could get 65% off plus free shipping. I'm sure that won't work, but if it does let us know. If this works, I will go buy 8 more cards and get all my stuff from EB for free![/quote]

You are an idiot.[/quote]

Blo me!

wow i guess its how you look at it. But yes those are all Penny guides that EB is suppose to either throw out or give away. I've got a stack of them sitting next to me. I guess that store got creative and used it to lure people to get an edge card which normally costs $5.00 I think is sucks that they sold you multiple edge cards when you can't stack them.
oh well i'm sure you can find some CAG'ers who'd buy them from ya for cheap! :wink:

bread's done
Back