New HDTV help

breakingcustoms

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
So I went into Walmart today with the 42" Vizio Plasma (720p) TV in my mind. It was $747. As I got into talking with the guy, he told me that I would burn through a plasma TV fairly quickly playing games on it. He then showed me a 42" LCD Sanyo (1080p) for $848.

In turn, is this the better deal? Are LCD TVs better for gaming, and is it worth the extra $100 to go from 720p to 1080p? And are Sanyo's as reliable, if not more, than Vizio?

EDIT

Here's a link to the TV in question...I've heard some very good things about it, but I wanted to get some CAG opinions as well

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9106633

EDIT 2

So I pulled the trigger on the 42" 1080p Vizio LCD for $896. I'm going back next Friday when I get paid and I'm putting the 3 year warranty on it. So, in any case, I'll be in the clear if something happens. The cool thing is that any TV over 42", they will come and replace it instead of me mailing/sending anything.

My limit was $750, but I bumped it up to get an LCD, so I couldn't really do anything more expensive. Thanks for all of your advice everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the $100.00 would be well worth it to upgrade to 1080p over 720p, but I am not sure if Sanyo is any better than Vizio as far as quality.

I wouldn't buy the Sanyo either. It's not what *I* consider a quality tv. My advice would be to look on amazon/buy.com to see what they have. Also, if you don't mind a refurbished tv (some are actually mint, with plastic still on the tv) on warehousedeals.com.

I actually think Vizio is a great, quality tv for the price. Not the best (ie. a Samsung/Sony/Sharp) but still a great looking tv. Walmart has a 1080p for $896, which you should be able to find a store that carries it to avoid shipping. And yes, $150 (in this case) is well worth it to go from 720p to 1080p.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477431

[quote name='chex20']I wouldn't buy the Sanyo either. It's not what *I* consider a quality tv. My advice would be to look on amazon/buy.com to see what they have. Also, if you don't mind a refurbished tv (some are actually mint, with plastic still on the tv) on warehousedeals.com.

I actually think Vizio is a great, quality tv for the price. Not the best (ie. a Samsung/Sony/Sharp) but still a great looking tv. Walmart has a 1080p for $896, which you should be able to find a store that carries it to avoid shipping. And yes, $150 (in this case) is well worth it to go from 720p to 1080p.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477431[/quote]

thanks man, that is actually exactly what i want...so, i'm going to pick that one up tonight or tomorrow...also, no tax in DE!!

thanks again!

The main problem with a 42" 720p plasma is that it's not true 720p widescreen resolution. Most plasmas that size are 1024x768 with rectangular pixels.

The following opinion will be unpopular, but I'll say that 720p resolution is the sweet spot for gaming. You can likely count on one hand the number of games on either the 360 or PS3 that run at true 1080p resolution. Hell, a lot of games don't even run at 720p, remember the Halo 3 fiasco about that?

[quote name='breakingcustoms']thanks man, that is actually exactly what i want...so, i'm going to pick that one up tonight or tomorrow...also, no tax in DE!!

thanks again![/quote]

hey, if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I saw Target has their 42" 1080p Olevia on clearance for $868, my bro in law has a 32'' and i'm surprised at how good the picture quality is, I have a sammy 42''. I've read how vizio's break down alot as well, something to consider...

im a cable guy so i see tv problems all the time.. youre better off staying away from the cheaper brands like sanyo, element, vizio, olevia, westinghouse, phillips, ect. buy a sony, samsung or panasonic and spend the couple extra hundred or get the slightly smaller tv. The junk brands will give you all kinds of problems and dont be suprised when your cable guy tells you that you will have to juggle remotes because the codes your manufacturer provided wont work.

[quote name='Baylro']im a cable guy so i see tv problems all the time.. youre better off staying away from the cheaper brands like sanyo, element, vizio, olevia, westinghouse, phillips, ect. buy a sony, samsung or panasonic and spend the couple extra hundred or get the slightly smaller tv. The junk brands will give you all kinds of problems and dont be suprised when your cable guy tells you that you will have to juggle remotes because the codes your manufacturer provided wont work.[/quote]
i wouldn't call Vizio a bad brand. They're Samsung branch company. Their LCDs use the same technology with samsung tv. And Phillips isn't a cheap brand in term of home entertainment o.o? Their LCDs and Plasmas cost as much as sony/samsung. And actually Sony LCD and Plasma are the worse in terms of problems. Especially with burn in and stuck pixels. Sony LCDs and Plasmas have the highest rate of getting those compare to other. I ditched out 800$ to buy a 32" Bravia LCD and guess what? it got a stuck pixel after a few hours of watching tv on and off. Freaking pissed me off as hell. Went returned it and bought a 22" Vizio (Which fit my room better) and I put some heavy usage on it since i bought it (about 3-4months now) and haven't seen any sights of problem yet to occure. I play video games in hot summer night without ac for 5 hour straight and the TV still work like new. :bouncy: Not just my tv but alot of my relatives use Vizio. One of my uncle had have his 42" LCD Vizio for about 2 years now and it still work like new. One had 32" LCD for a year and it works like charm as well. To OP if you're buying LCD or Plasma screens I wouldn't buy it online as for their poor warranty. Go to major stores at your loca especially Costco because they give you free 2 year extened Warranty on LCD/Plasma. And I would recomend staying away from Sony LCD/Plasma, and look into Panasonic (Best LCD/Plasma in my opinion) or if you want cheaper price I would say Vizio is your best bet for the best quality/performance.

[quote name='Baylro']im a cable guy so i see tv problems all the time.. youre better off staying away from the cheaper brands like sanyo, element, vizio, olevia, westinghouse, phillips, ect. buy a sony, samsung or panasonic and spend the couple extra hundred or get the slightly smaller tv. The junk brands will give you all kinds of problems and dont be suprised when your cable guy tells you that you will have to juggle remotes because the codes your manufacturer provided wont work.[/quote]

i don't need to juggle anything, my cable remote works fine after i put the code in

[quote name='Baylro']vizio i see problems with hdmi ports failing. phillips IR recievers fail.[/quote]

hmm all the vizio we have here have HDMI working just fine. As well as the universal remotes from the Cable boxes. May be you guys just don't know how to get them to work? lol my ps3 views 1080p just fine on my 22" Vizio. I've seen alot of cable guys seen clueless about what they're doing before and can't get shit to work for me from cable tv to internet services and when they leave because they're too dumb to figure it out I somehow got them to work by myself lol. I'm not saying you're one of those btw so don't be offend and go off on me. I'm just saying what I've experienced from cable guys around here that's all. After all I wouldn't listen to what service people say since they don't care about your product. They just tell you "oh sorry your XXX is not compatible with this service, We recommend you spend shit load more money on shit that we got paid to advertised:bouncy:" lol

and gratz OP on your new TV. Hopefully you'll find it enjoyable. I myself very pleased with my Vizio TVs.

no offense taken. and of course not all tvs made by any brand are going to have the same problem or there would be enough media coverage on the product that no one would buy it. just saying that i have seen the no-name brands be problematic. they are cheaper for a reason.

hi
you can get HDTV at Wal Mart.com, i bought Vizio 42" Class Plasma HDTV with Built-in Tuner at Wal Mart.com. And i got Free Shipping and 5% Cash Back also by going through Rebation.com.

[quote name='Baylro']no offense taken. and of course not all tvs made by any brand are going to have the same problem or there would be enough media coverage on the product that no one would buy it. just saying that i have seen the no-name brands be problematic. they are cheaper for a reason.[/quote]
that what I used to think before man. But through buying a few LCD I've proven myself wrong. Best example would be that 32" Bravia. I mean I know what you're saying. Some no name brands are definitely need to stay off from because their prices are too good to be truth. But I think some middle name brands aren't to bad like Vizio they're actually owned by samsung and use same technology with samsung. Ofcourse big brand TVs might have better quality but I said Sony isn't the one with the outstanding quality picture. Don't get me wrong I'm a sony fan boy too. Everything i have from years ago are sony, TV, DVD, VCR... But I think their products are becoming less and less of what it used to be. Their laptops have really nice spec and excessive price but guess what? they're very fragile, especially the LCD. HP and Dell even make better LCD than sony XD. I just don't trust Sony LCD anymore because of how easy they can get stuck/dead pixel compare to other.

There aren't any low end (i.e. $800-$1400, 40-42 in.) name brand LCD's that have perfect reviews. After looking at a lot LCD's myself I was leaning myself towards the 50" Samsung LED DLP until I saw it doesn't have any component inputs. Today I'm going to go check out the 42" 1080P Westy that Costco just got in that's $699 and suspect I'll end up with that set.

[quote name='jkanownik']There aren't any low end (i.e. $800-$1400, 40-42 in.) name brand LCD's that have perfect reviews. After looking at a lot LCD's myself I was leaning myself towards the 50" Samsung LED DLP until I saw it doesn't have any component inputs. Today I'm going to go check out the 42" 1080P Westy that Costco just got in that's $699 and suspect I'll end up with that set.[/QUOTE]

While not perfect, I picked up a Norcent 37" from Office Dept for about $450 (after coupon and deals). I wish it had an additional HDMI, and while some may complain about no 1080P; I'm more than happy with it. Lots of inputs and a great picture!

[quote name='luan87us']Vizio LCDs/Plasma have alot of inputs, most of them have 2 HDMI.[/quote]

my vizio came with 3 HDMI inputs, 2 component, 2 AV, 1 S-video

bread's done
Back