New iPad announced, iPad 2 dropping to $399 (16gb wifi)

[quote name='Pck21']You should be able to specify what you want to sync, and what you don't, by going to Settings>iCloud. There you can turn on/off what you need to be synched.[/QUOTE]

I know. I have it all turned to on except Notes yet only half of the items are syncing.

Just to make sure, you have your calendar on your iPhone synced to the cloud, right? Also, do you have more than one calendar? I keep my personal and work separate so I have to add two accounts, one iCloud and one outlook.

[quote name='Ed_']Just to make sure, you have your calendar on your iPhone synced to the cloud, right? Also, do you have more than one calendar? I keep my personal and work separate so I have to add two accounts, one iCloud and one outlook.[/QUOTE]

I figured it out. I just needed to actually set up my email on the iPad. Stupid hold up. Thanks for all the help though.

My brother bought an iPad 3, his first Apple product of any kind. So far he (they) like it a lot. He has a young daughter and even younger son. I wouldn't mind some recommendations of games or apps for young kids as our kids are older and I never put any thought into it before. :)

[quote name='arcane93']Atomic Web Browser is 99 cents, and has ad-block, full-screen browsing, and a number of other features that Safari is missing. I've been using it on my iPhone (it's universal, so if you have multiple iOS devices, you can install it on all of them) for over a year now, and for the most part it's been awesome. The main unfortunate thing about it is that there's no way to set it as a default, so Safari will still come up whenever another app launches a browser. Other than that, though, it's well worthwhile.

http://appshopper.com/productivity/atomic-web-browser[/QUOTE]

I have to take back my recommendation for Atomic Web Browser for now, at least for the new iPad. I was trying to use it yesterday to do research, and it kept crashing on me every few minutes until I finally gave up on it. Works fine on my iPhone, but until they work out whatever bugs it has with the new iPad, it's probably best to avoid it.

That being said, I installed Mercury Web Browser, which is nearly as good (has at least most of the same features, including ad block and full screen browsing, I just like the Atomic interface a bit better), and was able to use it without any problems. So that may be the better option for now.

[quote name='arcane93']I have to take back my recommendation for Atomic Web Browser for now, at least for the new iPad. I was trying to use it yesterday to do research, and it kept crashing on me every few minutes until I finally gave up on it. Works fine on my iPhone, but until they work out whatever bugs it has with the new iPad, it's probably best to avoid it.

That being said, I installed Mercury Web Browser, which is nearly as good (has at least most of the same features, including ad block and full screen browsing, I just like the Atomic interface a bit better), and was able to use it without any problems. So that may be the better option for now.[/QUOTE]

That's odd as I have been using it on my new ipad since it arrived on Saturday and have yet to have a single crash.

[quote name='Ed_']That's odd as I have been using it on my new ipad since it arrived on Saturday and have yet to have a single crash.[/QUOTE]

Huh, weird. I tried closing the program completely, and even a hard reset of the iPad, and it was still a problem. I had a bunch of tabs open (well, 5 or 6) most of the time, so maybe that's the difference?

My main problem with Atomic web browser is I could not get Safari's (on Mac) bookmarks into it. It might have been that it imported them, but they were messed up. I can't remember now. Maybe I should try it again. iCab was able to import them, but that browser is weird.

Whats the best case for the new iPad? Anyone have any recommendations? Also, I'm thinking of getting a stylus to draw on the iPad, any recommendations for that also?

Anyone have an essential app list or how I can maximize my iPads potential. Like papers or magazines I should have or anything else? Thanks

[quote name='bigant262']Whats the best case for the new iPad? Anyone have any recommendations? Also, I'm thinking of getting a stylus to draw on the iPad, any recommendations for that also?[/QUOTE]

I'm on a hunt for a good stylus, too. I ordered the amazonbasics stylus, it arrived at the office on Friday after I left but I'll get it tomorrow when I go in. As far as the case; I ordered the modulr case http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055VL5SK/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details simply for the fact that it has the strap in the rear that'll allow me to hold onto it as I read it on the bus on the commute to work. I also have the Kensington keyboard case, which I also love because the keyboard is held by magnets and slides out when I don't need it. The iPad can be stood at any angle for viewing, browsing or reading.

[quote name='bigant262']Whats the best case for the new iPad? Anyone have any recommendations? Also, I'm thinking of getting a stylus to draw on the iPad, any recommendations for that also?[/QUOTE]

I picked up this sleeve at Five Below for $5 the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-E-Reader-Gunmetal-Lime-Aid-X-Small/dp/B004VD8XFG/

It's a really good brand (I have a messenger bag by them that was a lot more expensive), and it's really good quality. The new iPad fits perfectly, and it feels well protected. They had a fair number of them at the store here. If you happen to live near a Five Below, it's worth checking out. I combined it with an Apple Smart Cover and I feel pretty much good to go.

I also picked up a stylus (some generic brand) while I was there, but I'll be perfectly honest that I wouldn't recommend it at all. I mean, it works, but it's got a flimsy rubber tip that's easy to press in, and then a very sharp-edged metal tube. I have visions of it accidentally getting pressed in and the tube scratching the screen. So I'm not using it, and since Five Below has an "all sales final" policy, I can't even return it. Pretty annoyed about that.

I've read some good reviews of the Wacom Bamboo stylus, but it's awfully expensive. Not sure whether I'd use it enough to justify it.

I have the bamboo stylus. It seems ok. I don't use it much though as my handwriting is terrible as is, so it's really tough to write on a capacitive touch screen for me.

Anyone using Instapaper for iPad? Is there a way to save things you read in the browser or on pulse on it? Or is it just what you find searching in Instapaper itself?

[quote name='DestroVega']Thanks. Do you use RSS? I know nothing about it and might be interested. One of the things I've never checked out.[/QUOTE]

I use RSS for a few things, reading some websites and with a couple a/v downloading programs.

Are there any chances of finding a deal on the new ipad 3 wifi only 16 GB? Trying to avoid paying taxes thru internet purchase too but having no luck.

Doubt you'll be able to dodge taxes. Pretty much all the places that sell it are places that have a physical presence in most every state (Apple, Best Buy, Target etc.) so they have to collect sales tax.

In general, the only deals on iPads have been on refurbs, Black Friday Apple Store sales, and price cuts when the new model comes out (also a good time to buy used on Craigslist etc.).

bread's done
Back