New iPad announced, iPad 2 dropping to $399 (16gb wifi)

3G/4G plans are contract free and prepaid, so there's no obligation to activate right away when you get your iPad. It's nice to have the backup of 3G/4G service available and not be required to pay for it (the plan is activated on the iPad itself) - without 3G/4G service, the iPad functions perfectly fine on Wi-Fi.

Wish I could just walk into the store Saturday and purchase. I'm going to buy 2 and an iMac and a time capsule. Guess I'll just scout stuff out Saturday instead.

My iPad shipped very early this morning! Woo hoo! I also snagged a sweet case from Best Buy this afternoon that was mispriced at $20. It was normally $40. Gotta love it!

[quote name='dmaul1114']I went with a 32GB iPad 2 and haven't even came close to hitting 16gb on it yet so I should have saved the $100 bucks. The only non-app files I put on it are PDFs and those are mostly under 1MB with a few image based ones that are a 2MB-5MB. I don't have any interest in putting music or movies on it. Or photos either really.

However, on my iPhone 4S I went 16GB and wish I'd went 32 there so I could put more of my music on it. Though it's still mostly ok as I just rotate music on and off of it, and just stream Pandora over wifi at work most of the time.

But when I upgrade I'd probably go for a 16GB iPad next time and an 32GB phone.[/QUOTE]

It's all personal preference. I use Spotify exclusively for music, and I usually listen to it on my iPhone 4S with the unlimited data plan. If I want to use my iPad for Spotify, I have the option to do so over wifi since I'll use the 4G service only when in a pinch, on the road, for work, or for school.

I also use/stream Netflix, so movies aren't a big deal in my case either. I've embraced the cloud lol! Pictures are uploaded to Google, Facebook, etc. My documents are all stored on/in Google Docs. Like I said, I have very little need to go above the 16GB limit since there are so many other cloud based options these days. Yes...I'm one of "those" people lol.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']Can the plans be purchased later if someone buys a G model?[/QUOTE]
Yes. You activate iPad #G service whenever you want within the iPad's Settings app. When you activate you pay for one month, then the contract continues as long as you don't deactivate it. This makes it easy to only pay for #G data when you need it, like when you're about to go on a trip. But you have to pay by month... cancelling early does not get you a prorated refund. Also, I learned from my iPad 1 that as soon as you cancel, the service ends immediately, regardless if you already paid for more days in that month. So don't cancel the plan until the end of the month you've already paid for.

[quote name='lilman']Yes. You activate iPad #G service whenever you want within the iPad's Settings app. When you activate you pay for one month, then the contract continues as long as you don't deactivate it. This makes it easy to only pay for #G data when you need it, like when you're about to go on a trip. But you have to pay by month... cancelling early does not get you a prorated refund. Also, I learned from my iPad 1 that as soon as you cancel, the service ends immediately, regardless if you already paid for more days in that month. So don't cancel the plan until the end of the month you've already paid for.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks! I'll be picking up a 32gb 4g for my uncle.

Now the real question is what's the best model to get to flip or is it even worth it?

Foolishly thought I'd be able to pick up one of these on day 1 with my Best Buy credit - now I find out the Apple fanboys line up and clean them out before lunchtime. Guess I'll be waiting a while.

[quote name='dagarcia2678']I picked up two 32gb black wifi at Walmart at 12:01 this morning. There were 4 other people there to get them.[/QUOTE]

How do you like it? Are they your first iPad, or did you have a previous gen?

[quote name='pete5883']Foolishly thought I'd be able to pick up one of these on day 1 with my Best Buy credit - now I find out the Apple fanboys line up and clean them out before lunchtime. Guess I'll be waiting a while.[/QUOTE]

There's only three people outside my local best buy right now. I could have gotten one at target but they only had 16 gb models. Wanna get a 32 and a white 16

Yeah, hopefully we're getting to the point of getting some market saturation with tablets so the campouts won't be required for getting iPads now (other than fanboys at Apple stores).

I know several people with iPads, and they're all like me and not planning to upgrade their iPad 2s right now. A few of them did upgrade from iPad 1 to iPad 2, but just aren't sold on upgrading again a year later for a better screen, better camera etc. as they're like me and just don't see that as enough to hassle with selling their current iPads and shelling out some money on top of that to upgrade right now.

I'd love to get a new iPad and hand down my iPad 2, but since I want a 64 GB LTE model, that's a pretty penny again, and I can't really justify upgrading only a year later. LOL. Would love to, though.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'd love to get a new iPad and hand down my iPad 2, but since I want a 64 GB LTE model, that's a pretty penny again, and I can't really justify upgrading only a year later. LOL. Would love to, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm on an iPad 1 and I'm sitting it out for another year. It's tough but these things are very expensive and I'm not sure I could get much for the original iPad to make it sting a little less.

Big improvement over my gen1 iPad. Display is amazing and it seems nice and fast. I didn't put any apps on it yet because I have to figure out how to remove devices from my itunes account to make room.

[quote name='keithp']How do you like it? Are they your first iPad, or did you have a previous gen?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dagarcia2678']Big improvement over my gen1 iPad. Display is amazing and it seems nice and fast. I didn't put any apps on it yet because I have to figure out how to remove devices from my itunes account to make room.[/QUOTE]

You can deathorize individual devices if you have them. If not you can deathorize all of your devices and then reathorize the ones you want. In iTunes, either click your email address at the upper right, or select "View my account" in the Store menu. In the Apple ID Summary section, there is a "Deauthorize All" button. Click it.

I was set in stone on keeping my Transformer Prime, but I'm going to sell it. I can't help it, Apple has this effect on me...I picked up a 16GB WiFi version today. I figure I can get 6-650 for what the TP's are selling for now, and I paid 535 for the iPad. I need a tablet for work, and I figured since I already had a laptop my TP+Keyboard wasn't all that useful. I just wanted it for emulators and taking notes.

That said...glad to be back. Feels good. Loving the new Retina :)

Picked up my 32GB White Wifi iPad and Smart Cover at Microcenter for a total of $645 with coupon. Paid all with store credit :) . Man, this thing trumps my 1st Gen iPad on just about everything. I can't wait for games to come out that takes advantage of the display and horsepower.

This thing is amazing. It's everything I've wanted in the iPad since it was revealed. It's so quick, the screen is gorgeous, and the apps are incredible. If you have the means to pick one up, I highly suggest you do so!

[quote name='Kendro']The screen truly is amazing. I can browse the forums in portrait mode and the text is still amazingly sharp.[/QUOTE]

Truth. Pinch to zoom, and your pants will get tighter. Yes, it's that good. I don't regret my purchase in the least. This iPad is stunning. It's my new go to device for just about everything.

I got the ultimate tease from UPS, my iPad was originally scheduled for Monday delivery then I checked the progress and it showed I would receive it today...but no dice :(. Maybe tomorrow...

I don't understand why people were camped out at Apple stores. Went to my local one today, they had every model in both colors available, figured I might as well grab two. Gonna wait for Mountain Lion and the possible new iMac model to pick that up.

As a word of warning, Verizon is inexplicably adding a $35 activation fee for the 4G iPad data plan. That's absolutely ridiculous.

[quote name='JJSP']As a word of warning, Verizon is inexplicably adding a $35 activation fee for the 4G iPad data plan. That's absolutely ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
That's only for postpaid plans. If you sign up through your iPad's Settings app using a cc, you will be doing a prepaid plan (i.e. you pay for the month immediately) and are not charged an activation fee.

I like this thing overall, especially the screen, but there are annoyances:

--no way to subscribe to podcasts with the built-in apps
--no app that can stream hd mkv videos reliably (xbmc supposedly can but will have to jailbreak)
--impossible to disable the lock screen
--no adblock for safari
--mono speaker
--gmail is fetch not push
--notification bar is primitive looking

The screen really is outstanding, pdfs, websites and books look great. Everything's quick and responsive. Lots and lots of high-quality applications.

[quote name='aerotive']--no adblock for safari[/QUOTE]

Atomic Web Browser is 99 cents, and has ad-block, full-screen browsing, and a number of other features that Safari is missing. I've been using it on my iPhone (it's universal, so if you have multiple iOS devices, you can install it on all of them) for over a year now, and for the most part it's been awesome. The main unfortunate thing about it is that there's no way to set it as a default, so Safari will still come up whenever another app launches a browser. Other than that, though, it's well worthwhile.

http://appshopper.com/productivity/atomic-web-browser

[quote name='arcane93']Atomic Web Browser is 99 cents, and has ad-block, full-screen browsing, and a number of other features that Safari is missing. I've been using it on my iPhone (it's universal, so if you have multiple iOS devices, you can install it on all of them) for over a year now, and for the most part it's been awesome. The main unfortunate thing about it is that there's no way to set it as a default, so Safari will still come up whenever another app launches a browser. Other than that, though, it's well worthwhile.

http://appshopper.com/productivity/atomic-web-browser[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Been using AWB since my 1st iPad.

Thanks for the suggestions, Stitcher looks good for when I'm using the ipad when in wifi range...which is pretty much always.

Atomic I had on the iphone, but stopped using it because of the one bad thing about it (that you noted), there's no way to set it as default without jailbreaking and that can't be done yet.

Damn, over the weekend some iPads were showing up at random stores via Best Buy's "store pickup" list. Since then they've all dried up. How long is it usually until a second shipment?

Anyone have their new iPad get really hot? I've been reading it really heats up more than the previous versions, especially in the corner.

[quote name='keithp']Anyone have their new iPad get really hot? I've been reading it really heats up more than the previous versions, especially in the corner.[/QUOTE]

Mine does seem to get a bit warmer than I expected it to, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it "hot".

The demo one that I looked at in Best Buy before I bought it, though, was seriously hot. Not sure what they were running on it that might have caused it to heat up so much.

[quote name='keithp']Anyone have their new iPad get really hot? I've been reading it really heats up more than the previous versions, especially in the corner.[/QUOTE]
I left mine playing a video at full brightness (trying to fix yellow tint in a corner, didn't work) and it got crazy hot. Even the entire front was hot. The double sized battery + new processor are forces to be reckoned with.

During normal use though (web browsing, email, playing IB2) the temp seems fine.

-Update-
Actually, it does get hot playing IB2. Played for 20mins at about 40% brightness and could feel parts of the screen heating up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that they're calling this a "record setting launch weekend":

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...over_3_million_ipads_over_launch_weekend.html

I didn't pre-order, so I expected to wait for weeks. But I was able to walk into Best Buy on Saturday afternoon and buy mine without any difficulty. All of the local Apple Stores still had it in stock too. I was wondering whether that meant that it didn't sell well, but I guess not?

I wonder if that means they were able to increase production enough to keep up with demand this time around.

Hey guys. Does anyone know how to sync the calendar on your iPhone to your iPad? I tried everything I could see in the setting of both devices and it's just not working. Even when I add a new event it's not showing up on my iPad calendar. My wife's iPhone calendar showed up on her iPad immediately So needless to say its frustrating. Haha

Any help is appreciated.

[quote name='DestroVega']Hey guys. Does anyone know how to sync the calendar on your iPhone to your iPad? I tried everything I could see in the setting of both devices and it's just not working. Even when I add a new event it's not showing up on my iPad calendar. My wife's iPhone calendar showed up on her iPad immediately So needless to say its frustrating. Haha

Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Have you set up an iCloud account yet? Your best bet is to set up iCloud on both devices, and make sure that you have calendar syncing turned on in the iCloud preferences on both of them. Should be automatic after that.

[quote name='arcane93']Have you set up an iCloud account yet? Your best bet is to set up iCloud on both devices, and make sure that you have calendar syncing turned on in the iCloud preferences on both of them. Should be automatic after that.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Did all this. But it gets weird.

These things all synced: contacts, photo stream, bookmarks.

These did not: mail, calendar, reminders.

Doesn't make any sense.

Not new but new to me, you can scrub audio with more control by moving your finger down and away from the timeline--the farther you get, the finer the control.

Also anyone who misses Adblock (like me) you can install Privoxy on a computer and then set Safari on the ipad to use it as a proxy. Requires you to have an always-on computer and the setup is a pain in the ass. It can also run on some routers.

[quote name='DestroVega']Yup. Did all this. But it gets weird.

These things all synced: contacts, photo stream, bookmarks.

These did not: mail, calendar, reminders.

Doesn't make any sense.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to specify what you want to sync, and what you don't, by going to Settings>iCloud. There you can turn on/off what you need to be synched.

bread's done
Back