New metal?

Sludge and stoner is all I've been listening to (bar my rediscovered interest in grindcore).

Check out Sleep, Baroness, High On Fire, Melvins, and go from there. Good rounded choices.

News from the world of metal:

-Pestilence has reunited (thank cynic, atheist, oh and carcass!)
There is new line up: founder Patrick Mameli (vocals, guitar), well known Tony Choy (bass) and drummer Peter Wildoer (Darkane, Non-Human Level and others). Patrick is working on new great songs which style he describes as modern fusion of "Testimony..." and "Spheres", but even more technical and more brutal. New album will be recorded by Jacob Hansen and produced by Patrick himself.

-Cynic is working on a new album
CYNIC founding members Paul Masvidal (Guitars / Vocals) and Sean Reinert (Drums), who both gained reputation and praise while performing alongside Chuck Schuldiner and DEATH in the recording and touring line-up for the milestone album “Human”, are currently in Sanford, Florida, working on the mix for three new demo tracks together with producer Jason Suecof (Trivium, Chimaira, The Black Dahlia Murder, Devildriver, etc.) at his own Audiohammer Studios. The three new tracks are entitled “Integral Birth”, “Evolutionary Sleeper” and “Adam's Murmur” but Masvidal and Reinert have already written a full album’s worth of new material and the band will use the demo to begin talks with record companies about a 2008 release.

-Hellhammer demos to be officially released February 18, 2008 on a double cd set, also a comprehensive history of the band will be released in a book written by Tom Gabriel Fischer entitled, "Only Death is Real - An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and early Celtic Frost"

Exciting stuff! As for what I've been listening to...Noothgrush and Electric Wizard. Also, please check out http://www.eatdeath.com/shirts/ some really great shirts. The owner used to live in Baltimore, now he's in Philly. I just got an Asphyx and some Boris shirts from there.

Looking for some new suggestions, guys. I might check out:

Dawn of Destiny
Decadence
Into Eternity
Senses Fail
Iced Earth (new disc this week?!)
Underoath

Anything else I should sample? Thanks.

[quote name='shieryda']Looking for some new suggestions, guys. I might check out:

Dawn of Destiny
Decadence
Into Eternity
Senses Fail
Underoath

Anything else I should sample? Thanks.[/quote]

Stuff other than that. Try Krallice, black metal band with the Behold...The Arctopus dude, sounds like jesu trying BM, and it's fucking nice. Some nice melancholy.

Boris!
swallow the sun
Korpiklaani
ensiferum
amon amarth
HElloween
Heaven Shall Burn
Green Carnation
The Locust
Jucifer

I'm looking for some new shit too. I just heard Soulfly for the first time yesterday as per the recommendation of some kid. They're good; remind me of Sevendust. I've been through all the Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, all that folk-metal shit, and Boris and all the drone shit too. I want something underground. Something that I can almost be guranteed that out of the 2800 kids at my school, I'll be the only one who's heard of them. Grindcore also has the tendency to piss me off 'cause I've heard so much of it. fuck, music is getting boring.

[quote name='xeno']Boris!
swallow the sun
Korpiklaani
ensiferum
amon amarth
HElloween
Heaven Shall Burn
Green Carnation
The Locust
Jucifer[/quote]

Damn, Locust just sticks out like a sore thumb there.
[quote name='Full_Throttle']I'm looking for some new shit too. I just heard Soulfly for the first time yesterday as per the recommendation of some kid. They're good; remind me of Sevendust. I've been through all the Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, all that folk-metal shit, and Boris and all the drone shit too. I want something underground. Something that I can almost be guranteed that out of the 2800 kids at my school, I'll be the only one who's heard of them. Grindcore also has the tendency to piss me off 'cause I've heard so much of it. fuck, music is getting boring.[/quote]

I'd say Genghis Tron, but those fuckers are getting huge recently. Still, they're awesome. You want REALLY obscure? Try Wolven Howl, two man Korean black metal, and apparently both members are blind and deaf.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Damn, Locust just sticks out like a sore thumb there.

I'd say Genghis Tron, but those fuckers are getting huge recently. Still, they're awesome. You want REALLY obscure? Try Wolven Howl, two man Korean black metal, and apparently both members are blind and deaf.[/quote]

Oh god, Genghis Tron... screamo. I dislike screaming. I like growls and grunts and deep noises, but not screaming. Some screams are okay. But... just no.

Anywhere I can sample Wolven Howl? Black metal sounds really good right now.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Oh god, Genghis Tron... screamo. I dislike screaming. I like growls and grunts and deep noises, but not screaming. Some screams are okay. But... just no.

Anywhere I can sample Wolven Howl? Black metal sounds really good right now.[/quote]

GT is grind man. As for Wolven Howl, there was a fan MySpace, but I dunno if it's up. Downloading is probably yer best bet.

[quote name='shieryda']Looking for some new suggestions, guys. I might check out:

Dawn of Destiny
Decadence
Into Eternity
Senses Fail
Underoath

Anything else I should sample? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

+1 for into eternity... heres a list...

Abigail Williams
Abysmal Dawn
Amon Amarth
Angra
Arsis
As Hope Dies
As I Lay Dying
Azathoth
Bloodrose
Cannae
Children of Bodom
Crimson Moonlight
Crown
Dark Lunacy
Dead Blue Sky
Dead Elizabeth
Dimmu Borgir
Dragonforce
Dragonland
Endthisday
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Extol
Finntroll
Graveworm
Hammerfall
Heavenly
Immortal Souls
Imperanon
Insomnium
Kalmah
Kataklysm
Lost Horizon
Luca Turilli
Mors Principium Est
Naglfar
Norther
Old Man's Child
Origin
Rhapsody
Rifles at Recess
Shadow
Sirius
Skeletonwitch
Sonata Arctica
Black Dahlia Murder
The Year of our Lord
Theory in Practice
Trivium
Undying
Vehemence
Vital Remains
Wintersun
With Passion (the EP)

Hey anyone got a recommendation for me now that you have my core playlist?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I recommend you lose Trivium, and pick up Boris, Genghis Tron, Floor and Baroness.[/QUOTE]

i only enjoy on trivium album (and its not at the top of my list), but i will check those out

edit:

im mixed on genghis tron, im not too into grindcore, but its fairly unique so i havent cast it aside.

ill pass on floor and baroness

Last edited by a moderator:
Give 3 Inches of Blood a listen. They're kind of growl-ie and sort of screamish, but really good. Excellent guitar riffs, and sick lyrics.

I was also recommended to listen to 3 Inches of Blood by some guy at fye or whatever that chain is, and they're not too bad.

For anyone just browsing, I'd highly recommend Coffins for some doomish noiseish thrash metal. Japanese trio, simply awesome.

Coffins are great, but Corrupted is better. The acoustic shit on Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos seriously will turn you blood to stone. Heavy as fvck.

Underoath's new ablum just came out this last week, if you're a fan of them, or just a fan of heavy metal, it'd certainly worth a check out.

I'm a huge fan of Amon Amarth and 3 Inches of Blood already, but there are some good suggestions coming now. And I recently downloaded "Blooddrunk" by CoB.

And I have been listening to Bullet for My Valentine for a couple months now. I really like them.

Thanks, everyone!

divine heresy
i also recommend devildriver
the new slipknot is decent there not nu metal anymore
if your into old bands metallica death magnetic is pretty good it almost seems like the old metallica is back even though I hate lars
napalm death
demon hunter
as blood runs black
droid
fear factory
static x is ok if you like metal with some techno thrown in kind of white zombie style but harder
cradle of filth
3 inches of blood
I could on an on about this all day
go to allmusic.com and roadrunnerrecords.com you'll find stuff there road runner even has free drm free mp3s
good to see people still listen to some good stuff. instead of that hip hop shit all my friends listen to

[quote name='ff7scloud']divine heresy
i also recommend devildriver
the new slipknot is decent there not nu metal anymore
if your into old bands metallica death magnetic is pretty good it almost seems like the old metallica is back even though I hate lars
napalm death
demon hunter
as blood runs black
droid
fear factory
static x is ok if you like metal with some techno thrown in kind of white zombie style but harder
cradle of filth
3 inches of blood
I could on an on about this all day
go to allmusic.com and roadrunnerrecords.com you'll find stuff there road runner even has free drm free mp3s
good to see people still listen to some good stuff. instead of that hip hop shit all my friends listen to[/quote]

It's funny that Demon Hunter is Christian metal. I gave up on Static X a couple albums ago. I'll give Cradle of Filth another chance (there are a couple tracks that I like). I love Fear Factory (Ray Herrera is on my friends list).

Still need to check out the new Slipknot. I wish that Stone Sour would put out another album.

Not sure I like the new All that Remains.

Thanks for those site links, too.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm a huge fan of Amon Amarth and 3 Inches of Blood already, but there are some good suggestions coming now. And I recently downloaded "Blooddrunk" by CoB.

And I have been listening to Bullet for My Valentine for a couple months now. I really like them.

Thanks, everyone![/QUOTE]

Try out Iced Earth. They're to me at least, like a cheesier version of 3 Inches of Blood. Cradle of Filth may also be up your alley. Doomsword is another cheesey but good band. Blood for Blood also rules, and check out some of The Sword's stuff (aside from Freya).

[quote name='Ahadi']Try out Iced Earth. They're to me at least, like a cheesier version of 3 Inches of Blood. Cradle of Filth may also be up your alley. Doomsword is another cheesey but good band. Blood for Blood also rules, and check out some of The Sword's stuff (aside from Freya).[/quote]

Oh, man. I love The Sword! As soon as I played Freya in GH, I was hooked. I have a few tracks off "Framing Armageddon", but I do want to check out the new disc by Iced Earth.

[quote name='shieryda']Oh, man. I love The Sword! As soon as I played Freya in GH, I was hooked. I have a few tracks off "Framing Armageddon", but I do want to check out the new disc by Iced Earth.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you're already well off then :lol: I guess the only other thing I can think of right now that might be worth your time, and I stress that might, because they are pretty average/forgettable IMO, but have a few good songs, is Bleeding Through. But if you had to pick between bands with a Blood title premise, I'd say check out Blood for Blood first. Two very different bands, but give Living In Exile a listen. Very good stuff.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I'll second the Boris, The Sword, and Genghis Tron rec's. I'd suggest Torche but they're not really metal. Oh, and Gridlink. :D[/quote]

Torche is metal, they're just stoner. They formed from most of the remnants of Floor.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']This thread is embarassing.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Sure is! The true disciples of metal are in the other thread. This is all a bunch of a poser bullshit! BANDWAGON BANDS!

Seriously though, this metal conservatism crap is weak. The religious right of the metal church has arrived to strike down the heathens that don't listen to your narrow view of what is right and what isn't. :whee:

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Torche is metal, they're just stoner. They formed from most of the remnants of Floor.[/QUOTE]

Eh, true. Just lumped them into stoner rock more than metal, but I see your point.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Eh, true. Just lumped them into stoner rock more than metal, but I see your point.[/quote]

I don't even make a distinction, my genre tags just say "Stoner Rock/Metal". It's all good.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I don't even make a distinction, my genre tags just say "Stoner Rock/Metal". It's all good.[/quote]

Metal is metal. I can't keep up with all the subgenres.:D

[quote name='SL4IN']Underoath's new ablum just came out this last week, if you're a fan of them, or just a fan of heavy metal, it'd certainly worth a check out.[/quote]

This is a joke right?

Either way, I'm very close to judging this whole forum as having terrible taste in 'metal'.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Damn, Locust just sticks out like a sore thumb there.[/quote]

Yea i know :) and if you ever get a chance to see them live see them!

[quote name='Canadian_Man']This is a joke right?

Either way, I'm very close to judging this whole forum as having terrible taste in 'metal'.[/quote]

Not the whole forum, just most of the posters in this thread.

[quote name='xeno']Yea i know :) and if you ever get a chance to see them live see them![/quote]

I really fucking want to, I fucking love The Locust.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']This is a joke right?

Either way, I'm very close to judging this whole forum as having terrible taste in 'metal'.[/quote]

Na, the guys in the other thread really know their shit, so there is hope.

Underoath....aren't they a Christian screamo band? The one with the ginger lead singer that looks weird as fuck? Christian and metal seem like a weird mix but I've listened to some 80s Christian thrash bands that, for lack of a better saying, could really "thrash it up". I can't recall any of the names but there was some decent stuff out there. Lyric wise was super cheesy, but hell, at least it wasn't Stryper.

Eh, I'm disappointed by Corrupted's Sus Futuros. The first track acoustic is pretty nice. The second track is alright, but I've got to say that Sunn is better at the drone element. Then they split off into kind of thrash or doom/black metal, at which Coffins is more dedicated, and thus better, at.

I'm complaining while on cold medicines and caffeine and doing homework and a project about crazy-ass Spanjonese metal.

I want something really heavy like Earth or Coffins, but not as slow as Sunn, and with more of a music tone than Corrupted. Any ideas?

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Eh, I'm disappointed by Corrupted's Sus Futuros. The first track acoustic is pretty nice. The second track is alright, but I've got to say that Sunn is better at the drone element. Then they split off into kind of thrash or doom/black metal, at which Coffins is more dedicated, and thus better, at.

I'm complaining while on cold medicines and caffeine and doing homework and a project about crazy-ass Spanjonese metal.

I want something really heavy like Earth or Coffins, but not as slow as Sunn, and with more of a music tone than Corrupted. Any ideas?[/quote]

What does Sunn have to do with sludge? Sunn O))) and Corrupted aren't even in the same genre. And where's the thrash? Or the black metal for that matter? Or drone?

Asunder, Khanate, Thorr's Hammer, Monarch!, Toadliquor

Slow and heavy wins the race.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']What does Sunn have to do with sludge? Sunn O))) and Corrupted aren't even in the same genre. And where's the thrash? Or the black metal for that matter? Or drone?

Asunder, Khanate, Thorr's Hammer, Monarch!, Toadliquor

Slow and heavy wins the race.[/quote]

Sorry for sounding like a douche and pre-apologize for apologizing. I'm totally fucked up on being sick right now. Thanks for the recs. I've been meaning to put my subwoofer to use lately.

Let me also toss in Wake Up On Fire and Moonshine. Moonshine is actually heavy, and Mis has some of the best fucking vocals EVER, and while WUOF isn't heavy in the heavy sense, they just tune to shit, and are just fucking awesomely amazing.

[quote name='Blackout']Na, the guys in the other thread really know their shit, so there is hope.[/quote]

With this said, I'd like to make a motion for this thread to be deleted and completely erased from any archiving.

Seriously embarassing. Just about everyone in this thread should be banned from metal.

bread's done
Back