New Monthly $5 Dollar Cert for Power Up Rewards Pro

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Please delete if this is irrelevant but I was at GameStop today picking up my Pokemon Switch Lite and learned a $15 Power Up membership now comes with a monthly 5 dollar cert that works on anything in the store. The cert expires monthly and while the manager in the store said it was live ( I got a 5 dollar cert for signing up immediately) I saw on the site it doesn't start until Jan 2020. $60 for $15 seems like a desent deal though with just a few limitations. Here's the details for those interested.

https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/

Not sure what all the hassle is.  Used my Feb coupon (by showing it on my phone after mutterings of "It's not showing in your account yet") to pick up BOY! for free.

s-l300.jpg

Didn't even know they reissued Atreus/BOY!, and he's not even searchable on their website, but these Totaku figures are great for $4.99/free.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - Just stacked the monthly $5 rewards offer and a 5,000 point $5 certificate toward a physical $10 Nintendo eShop card. Rensselaer, NY. Love a $0 total.
What type of certificate did you redeem from the reward center to make this work. I would like to start building up credit this way if that is an option. It could be eShop or any other physical card currency.

FYI - Just stacked the monthly $5 rewards offer and a 5,000 point $5 certificate toward a physical $10 Nintendo eShop card. Rensselaer, NY. Love a $0 total.
Did the same thing, except with an Xbox card. At least we can use the $5 coupons to get digital items. Hopefully as digital takes over we get better prices to match physical games. Sucks seeing a physical game for $14.99 and then you see that the lowest it dropped in the digital market stores is $30.

I spend about $10 a YEAR on digital, so I really hate the idea of having to buy $10 digital cards every month, even if $5 of it is "free."  That means I have to spend $5 of my own money per month or $60/year on digital to make sense of these $5 incremental freebies. 

Pretty clever move by GS unless you actually want to collect 12 pieces of $5 junk (every year) that they don't want. 

I spend about $10 a YEAR on digital, so I really hate the idea of having to buy $10 digital cards every month, even if $5 of it is "free." That means I have to spend $5 of my own money per month or $60/year on digital to make sense of these $5 incremental freebies.

Pretty clever move by GS unless you actually want to collect 12 pieces of $5 junk (every year) that they don't want.
That’s how they get you. Spend $75, plus 12 trips to the store for $120 in digital currency over the course of the year.

It’s not all that great imo

I mean... the service is optional. It's not ideal compared to the old service and I'm not defending GS, but if it doesn't seem worth it to you, then don't get it. I factored all this into account when I renewed.

I spend my $5 on magic booster cards. I get 1 pack and if I'm lucky I get a good card that I can trade in at a card store for money back. It's a gamble, but what else am I going to use it for.

Did the same thing, except with an Xbox card. At least we can use the $5 coupons to get digital items. Hopefully as digital takes over we get better prices to match physical games. Sucks seeing a physical game for $14.99 and then you see that the lowest it dropped in the digital market stores is $30.
What type of reward cert did you redeem to make up the remaining amount for the digital currency card? I don't want to redeem points on a cert that will not work with the product I want to purchase.

What type of reward cert did you redeem to make up the remaining amount for the digital currency card? I don't want to redeem points on a cert that will not work with the product I want to purchase.
I used the website and got a $25 off one item certificate. Was going to use it for a $25 Amazon card but they stopped that FEB 1st so I got the Xbox card. Almost forgot that we can also use Xbox money to get physical games at Microsoft now.

That’s correct...until you add 12 trips to the store monthly for a year. The gas, time, and inconvenience negate the deal.
That's debatable, and depends on how busy the store is, how far away the store is, the price of gas, your fuel efficiency, how many lights you get caught at on the way, the mood of the employees, the competency of the employees, whether you are only driving to go to GameStop or if it's on the way to something else, whether you take the most efficient route to the GameStop, the weather, how busy traffic is, the temperature outside, construction, whether the store has what you are looking for, your mood, etc.

Even plugging all these things into the equation, and hundreds more things into the equation, it's probably still a good exchange rate.

That's debatable, and depends on how busy the store is, how far away the store is, the price of gas, your fuel efficiency, how many lights you get caught at on the way, the mood of the employees, the competency of the employees, whether you are only driving to go to GameStop or if it's on the way to something else, whether you take the most efficient route to the GameStop, the weather, how busy traffic is, the temperature outside, construction, whether the store has what you are looking for, your mood, etc.

I agree it's debatable...but 75 for $120 is a no brainer for a single trip to the store...this deal not so much.

I suspect given the choice that most would take less discount if they could avoid going monthly (ie 80/90/100 for $120)

Not to mention, it's only a matter of time before GS kills the ability to use it on digital currency...this alone would kill the deal for me altogether.

For me, the 12 required trips to the store negates the savings significantly regardless of any other factors listed.

In fact, just reading your list makes my shoulders sag tbh. 

I have a grocery store in the same area as my local GameStop so when I do grocery shopping I can stop by and use the monthly coupon. Went in today and got a $10 PSN card with the coupon no problem. I'll be doing that until July when my pro ends and I won't be resubbing.

How come people are having different experiences, shouldn’t there be universally the same set of rules for the $5?

It's GameStop where every employee has their own rulebook. I had a guy try to charge me a refurbished fee for trading in a game with their own black cases. I'm one of those people that was also told that the coupon doesn't worked on anything used. The only way to be sure is to see if the system let's it go through, which several people have been able to do.

Used my $5 code to get Day 1 Sinking City new for Xbox One for a whopping $5. Cheapest GameStop trip I've ever made I think.

I used it on a Steam card (along with another reward I activate with my points and trade-in money). No issues at all!
If you purchased the steam card in store did you select the $10 reward certificate in the rewards center. They specifically say not for use on gift cards. Do they classify digital funds as something else? I noticed that the minimum on non preowned certificates in store is $10. Does anyone know what the XBOX, PSN and eShop cards use for denominations?

Used the monthly $5 cert and $5 in-store in the same transaction for a "new" copy of Maximum Football 2019 today with no issues. Also had a gift card to use to help bring the total down. A team of 2 or 3 people developed the game and I want to help support smaller/indie devs as much as possible.

Tried to use the monthly $5 on the 4/$20 deal but couldnt use it. Instead I used it on my PUR Pro renewal and got an extra $5 I put it on a clearanced Avengers mug for my office.

so many happy customers every single month from this deal.
CAGs like us don't really like it knowing what we had to trade it for, but most bi-monthly customers that came in to buy division 2 and got it for free now has GS stuck in their mind next time they come to this plaza!

Anyone try iTunes / Google Play yet?

Confirmed digital credit so far seems to be:

PSN

eShop

Steam

Xbox

Do u still get the $5 certificate when u first get it? If so when do u get it? Thanks

[quote name="Dynamite" post="14267238" timestamp="1582757711

It was only on my receipt. I luckily had not thrown it away.[/quote]

Hi how long is that $5 good for? Thanks

bread's done
Back