New Nintendo 2DS XL, $150, July 28 2017 in NA

this 10 year old tech with even older LCD screens shouldn't be any more than 90bux imo.   But Nintendo can't do any wrong by their fanboys.

This reaction reminds me of the Game Boy Micro's release after the DS was on the market.

"Oh my god, what's Nintendo doing?
We've moved on to the DS now.
They have no idea.
They're splitting their market.
They're doooooooooomed"

Nintendo really should focus everything on the switch. Sad seeing them like this from SNES to cube the sales dropped like a rock then lighting in a bottle Wii happened and finally the dark age last gen (this gen?). They make fun games just not enough. It went Zelda in march which most have beat to.......Mario in November? Or I guess splatoon 2 in July.

Small rant apologies.
I think you overestimate the "success" of the SNES and GameCube. Just to put it into perspective, the PS4 has already outsold the SNES. Hell, even the 3ds has outsold the SNES.... The Wii and DS are the overall exception of of Nintendo.

I think you overestimate the "success" of the SNES and GameCube. Just to put it into perspective, the PS4 has already outsold the SNES. Hell, even the 3ds has outsold the SNES.... The Wii and DS are the overall exception of of Nintendo.
Console sales in the 80's and early 90's were quite a bit less overall than more modern, mainstream console sales. NES had amazing sales, SNES had very good sales, N64 was good, and PS1 tapped into a new market. The first non handheld console to sell over 100 million was the PS1 after all. Tapping into that "cool kids" market was a big deal at the time. Where do you think the "Nintendo is kiddy" insults came from?

$150 on release so by Christmas they can mark it down for holiday prices and bundles. It just sounds funny, "THE NEW 2DS XL!" So next year is the new 1DS XL++?

I haven't touched my New 3DS XL since Puzzle & Dragons Mario because iPhone apps.

I wish Nintendo would use some OLED panels in some kind of handheld. The Switch would be ideal. It's too bad there's not a quality display among the Nintendo handheld options. I would be willing to pay extra for the upgrade, won't speak for anyone else.

I wish Nintendo would use some OLED panels in some kind of handheld. The Switch would be ideal. It's too bad there's not a quality display among the Nintendo handheld options. I would be willing to pay extra for the upgrade, won't speak for anyone else.
Agreed. The quality of the screens on their handhelds is trash.

Man, Bioware is going to be pissed.
giphy.gif

If you guys are wondering "why" theyre releasing this at pretty much the end of 3DS's lifespan, its because theres still a lot of people who have never picked up a DS or maybe any handheld in ages and this is a perfect entry point for those people. The console has a huge library of games for newcomers and it also doesnt look like a cheap kids toy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been any news if the n2dsxl can run games from the Super Nintendo virtual console?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I have not heard anything official, it is branded as a "NEW" version. It has been said that it has the faster processing power for the games that use it. (Pokémon, Mario maker, etc) so the SNES vc stuff should be included.

While I have not heard anything official, it is branded as a "NEW" version. It has been said that it has the faster processing power for the games that use it. (Pokémon, Mario maker, etc) so the SNES vc stuff should be included.
You would think that would be something to mention as some people would pick it up for the ability to get those games for less than 10 bucks each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll pick one up whenever they have a sale or release a special edition. Gotta keep the streak of owning every version of every Nintendo system alive. :D

Don't like the price but I do like the idea. Never use the 3d on my 3DS but I was turned off by the way they designed the 2DS. 

$150?! no this thing should be $100 max.
Considering it includes the NFC reader, has stereo audio output (regular 2DS only had stereo with headphones), added z-button, second analog stick built in, larger screens (obviously), hinge that allows it to bend and be portable (actually pocket sized like the 3DS XL or 3DS), among other things. Think it's worth a bit more than $100 when it has all the things that the New 3DS XL has (but 3D) which is $200.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/279099-new-2ds-xl-vs-2ds-vs-new-3ds-xl-specs-comparison-new-2ds-xl-in

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/140909-nintendo-2ds-xl-vs-2ds-vs-3ds-vs-3ds-xl-what-s-the-difference

Think people should look at this in comparison to the New 3DS XL and not the old 2DS as it is much similar to the New 3DS XL.

But this version of the New 3DS handheld is so late in the game now, I can really only put $120 max on the value of all those "improvements." This idea looks and feels like a fail.

It will sell one way or another tho. I'm just rooting that the discount on the system happens sooner rather than later.

But this version of the New 3DS handheld is so late in the game now, I can really only put $120 max on the value of all those "improvements." This idea looks and feels like a fail.

It will sell one way or another tho. I'm just rooting that the discount on the system happens sooner rather than later.
I don't know if we're the target market for this. Market is non current 3DS owners, those looking to upgrade and have the New 3DS features but be on a budget or previous 2DS owners that want it to be able to bend.

Biggest being its for people who've never had it. DS has currently 154 million units worldwide, in comparison the 3DS is only at 66 million. Nintendo can definitely squeeze out more units / sales.

Who the hell cares about squeezing out a few more units when they could have used that manufacturing power towards making more NES Classics?

Nah, I had an NES as a kid and played the fuck outta it. Then I got another NES and a buttload of games as an adult and did it again. Later on, I bought a modded Wii on craigslist on played all the weird ones I missed out on before.

I just want Nintendo exclusive handheld titles on an OLED screen. I may have to wait another 15 years for them to catch up lol.

Who the hell cares about squeezing out a few more units when they could have used that manufacturing power towards making more NES Classics?
Nintendo does. Much smarter for them to sell a system for $150 at a nice profit and make extra money on software, the opposite of the NES Classic.

Sorry, Super Sonic, but that comment probably explains why you're not in this business. This makes perfect sense for Nintendo, and is a smart decision.

I'll wait until I can hold it until I pass judgement. It is lighter than the new 3ds xl, which I didn't really like to hold. Shoulder buttons look better too... I wonder how long until it is cracked, hah!

When Pokemon Stars officially gets announced for Switch the 2DS/3DS will become obsolete. This is just Nintendo trying to squeeze every last sale they can get out of it.

When Pokemon Stars officially gets announced for Switch the 2DS/3DS will become obsolete. This is just Nintendo trying to squeeze every last sale they can get out of it.
Because Nintendo is the only company that makes games for the 3DS and Pokemon is the only game people buy on it, right?

Considering the install base for the 2DS and 3DS is much higher, I doubt they'll have a problem. And despite the Switch being portable, it isn't favorable compared to the 3DS for playing a game such as Pokemon, IMO that is.

Is this why Nintendo stopped NES Classic production? To make... this?
They probably switched production to the SNES classic, so they could have time to make enough for everyone who wants on during the holiday season. Right?

I heard something about the classic nes being easily hackable which is why it's been in such low supply and they're rushing out an snes.

It was during a situation where something was whispering and slipping their hand between my buttcheeks. Maybe light kissing .

bread's done
Back