NEW PSP what to get RPG-wise

[quote name='Lonedragon87']anyone try the monster hunter games for psp?[/QUOTE]

I played the first one. It's tough when no one else you know has the game to help you on missions. Very cool premise and kick ass monsters to fight. I'd like the latest one that came out in Japan to come out here. Portable third is it? I don't know, but it's the one where you can have a.i. controlled cats to accompany you. That'll help if no one you know has a psp or just doesn't have that game.

[quote name='Lonedragon87']ended up buying legend of heroes 1 and 2 i know there supposed to be bad but am trying anyway.[/QUOTE]
No idea why you chose to buy those two when there are so many better options listed in this topic. Should've just waited 13 more days to buy the new one which is actually supposed to be good.

[quote name='Lonedragon87']ended up buying legend of heroes 1 and 2 i know there supposed to be bad but am trying anyway.[/QUOTE]

Why would you go with the worst RPGs on the system?? I get it for collector's sake, but if you just got a PSP...just why!!>!!

got them both for about 6.99 on game stop used, one i love games people call bad, plus i love cheap. I havent tried them yet to see how they are, but i doubt i will have a problem. playing crisis core atm so far, loving it for the story, gameplay is pretty good. Legend of heroes is 20 something on amazon figured for 5.99 wouldnt be a bad choice to try. I think I enjoy collecting more than playing, i own more games then i will ever play, like many of us but for me its fun to collect and then pick choose what i want to play. Bought jeanne arc sounds awesome. Gamestop raised their prices on the final fantasy titles, i do hate gamestop.

Very far-fetched but since the PSP is region free, if you can somehow get yourself a European copy of Tales of Eternia, I'd get that.

Otherwise, if you like hard action RPGs that will frustrate the heck outta you, get Ys: The Oath in Felghana. It has a simple story but the gameplay plays much like an adventure game like Zelda... but with a huge twist of difficulty that will test your ability as a player.

If you haven't played it and can find a copy Breath of Fire 3 recieved a European PSP release. Also the Playstation Network is a great place to look, though I'm still waiting for Suikoden 2 to be released on PSN.

hey guys, i been looking to get a PSP myself and have enjoyed checking out these suggestions for rpgs, couple questions though. I seen the GoW Ghost of Sparta packs at local walmart for $150, is this a good price? Is that PSP included the newest version? I also seen someone said they have FF7 on theres, would I be able to buy and download that game with the aforementioned PSP or do I need access to a PS3? Thanks for any help!

[quote name='burz88']hey guys, i been looking to get a PSP myself and have enjoyed checking out these suggestions for rpgs, couple questions though. I seen the GoW Ghost of Sparta packs at local walmart for $150, is this a good price? Is that PSP included the newest version? I also seen someone said they have FF7 on theres, would I be able to buy and download that game with the aforementioned PSP or do I need access to a PS3? Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

$150 is a pretty good deal because You get both God of Wars. Which are some of the best games on psp. Chains of Olympus is a digital Download and is about 1.3 gb. The bundle comes with a 2gb memory stick which doesn't have enough room for God of war and FF7 unless you get a bigger card or erase a game when your done to put another on it. FF7 I think is about the same size 1.3 gb and yes you can download it with the wifi the PSP has built in. It just takes a lot longer to download on psp then it does on PS3

[quote name='MogKnight']Very far-fetched but since the PSP is region free, if you can somehow get yourself a European copy of Tales of Eternia, I'd get that.

Otherwise, if you like hard action RPGs that will frustrate the heck outta you, get Ys: The Oath in Felghana. It has a simple story but the gameplay plays much like an adventure game like Zelda... but with a huge twist of difficulty that will test your ability as a player.[/QUOTE]

This is not far fetched at all. People don't seem to get how easy it is to import things using ebay.co.uk I have a copy of that myself for instance! lol

And Lonedragon, make sure you get the new Legend of Heroes game Trails in the Sky. From what I've heard, read, and seen, it will be a VERY good RPG. CE is 40$, and out at the end of the month!

[quote name='burz88']Thanks you rydall, much appreciated. I think I may go snag that today.[/QUOTE]

Hey no Problem! I got the same bundle pack when it first came out for $200. Well worth it... oh it comes witht he movie Kickass on Umd also. The card it came with was too small for me so I ended up getting a 16 gb memory stick on Amazon to fill it with lots of psp goodness. Tons of music, movies, and playstation network games. Xenogears on a slow work day is the best thing ever :cool:

[quote name='Zaku77']Breath of Fire has cpnsiderable load times. If at all possible you should get the PS1 version.[/QUOTE]
i have the ps1 version :), of 3 and 4. I have a massive collection lol been doing this for going on 10 years with rpgs

Nice. I have an enormous RPG collection myself. You should add yours to your "collection" on this site. I'd be interested to take a browse through it.

(Or you could be like and make excel spread sheets of everything you have lol)

i need to dig through my ps1 again some might of been damaged by son when he was 1 i boxed eveyrthing up and havent opened them in 2-3 years. still hate myself for passing up suikoden 2 for 20 at a used store once back in 2003 or 2004.

loving crisis core so far getting a lot of the rpgs i can, grabbed hexyz force for 19.99 before it went out of stock and riveria, they looked rare and fun. crismison gem saga looks to be a rare one.

[quote name='Lonedragon87']might have to grab european games like breath of fire and the tales game then.[/QUOTE]

this is a bitch to find now. Especially if you want the original black label version. None of the import sites stock it anymore it seems

same with tales of eternia (plus that game has the glitch you probably want a used one that you can check the version)

I just bought a PSP last night. I picked up Crisis Core and Tales of the World:Radiant Mythology.

I started on Tales of the World:Radiant Mythology and so far I like it. I thought that I would mention it since I didn't see it mentioned already. I was going to grab FF Tactics, but the Tales games are usually hard to find, so I grabbed it instead.

breath of fire 3 on psp is 25 dollars on amazon.com doesn't cost much to import stores in the states already have plenty.

Make sure you ask if it's the greatest hits or not though. If you care about that, it would be annoying to have that version arrive instead of the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lonedragon87']i have all 3 of the other legend of heroes excited to try them[/QUOTE]
You shouldn't be. Literally the worst RPGs on the PSP.

[quote name='TraBuch']You shouldn't be. Literally the worst RPGs on the PSP.[/QUOTE]

Sell all 3 games and use the money on Trails in the Sky. If you are going to invest that much time on a trilogy, spend it on the quality games. You can thank me later.

Turn-based:
Crimson Gem Saga
Lunar Silver Star Story

Action:
Ys series (ark of napisthim, oath in felghana, 7, I and II)
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Crisis Core
X-Men Legends 2
Gurumin
Half Minute Hero

Strategy:
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Jeanne d'Arc

Puzzle RPG:
Puzzle Quest

Boring/bad games: (My opinion)
Blade Dancer - its a terrible rpg where you will be running from place to place 90% of the time.
Dragoneer's Aria - almost as bad as blade dancer
Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner - pokemon wannabee with terrible voice acting. also boring
Valhalla Knights - repetitive and boring
I couldn't stand Phantasy Star Portable, Monster Hunter Portable or Persona 1. I really gave them a chance, but I found them very boring.
A lot of people seem to like Brave Story, but I found that boring as well. The story was so generic.
Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony could potentially have been a good game. It is a good game, but the load times are so horrendous that its impossible to play. So don't bother with this. Even with it on a fast memory stick, it still suffers from bad load times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Trails In The Sky (awesome game), I've got a PSN code for it that I'd be happy to sell for $25. I also have Ys I & II Chronicles for $20. If you have a Go or just don't care about UMD, these are decent deal (says the guy trying to sell them). And the codes are unused of course. I decided too late that I'd rather have them on UMD, so I'm currently "stuck" with the codes.

Sorry, I didn't mean to randomly spam this topic. I can't post in the sell/trade section yet, and I happened to see this, so I am now whoring out my codes.

Oh, and I think you can get the Lunar games for PSP, can't you? Love, love, love those. Feel free to smack me if they were already mentioned; being on a broken laptop makes me lazy.

[quote name='dkreegz515']breath of fire 3 on psp is 25 dollars on amazon.com doesn't cost much to import stores in the states already have plenty.[/QUOTE]

I agree on Breath of Fire III. Oh and if you want to, just google the seller on amazon that has BOFIII, you might find it cheaper on their site.

Here is what I recommend:

Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Tales of Eternia
Breath of fire 3
Legend of Heroes 2-3
Persona 1
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics
Brave Story

I think you may have trouble finding Tales of Eternia now

Square Enix RPG's (JRPG/SRPG/hybrids)